Wayne State University part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"the poisoned patient" "pediatric/geriatric pharmacology" "substances of abuse" "prescription drug expenditures" "prescription writing, basic drug laws and medication safety" ... not too helpful at this point.

ah that sucks... from the titles, the only ones that seem directly relevant to Step 1 seem to be the toxicology and substances of abuse lectures.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a message from someone else stating that she heard it was a heart attack. But I don't know how accurate that information is.... If it was an MI - 33...damn.

Yeah, sure isn't fair to him or his family. To have put in all this hard work... he had a PhD as well. I feel really bad for them.

Yeah, sure isn't fair to him or his family. To have put in all this hard work... he had a PhD as well. I feel really bad for them.

I can't imagine losing my dad at such a young age. I also can't imagine what it would be like to lose my husband 3 years from now. I didn't go to any of the services because I didn't really know Charlie, but I feel like maybe I should have gone.

Hopefully they have lot's of family support to help his wife through this and then to help her get on her feet.

It's kind of weird when it's one of your own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks again for the PD notes. They helped a lot for the exam. Too bad the clinical scenarios they gave were too simple or misleading in some cases. How do you have melena without hematemesis with bleeding esophageal varices due to cirrhosis and portal hypertension? Why is it that we had to know what a Mallory-Weiss tear is when we never learned what it was in GI?

It is kind of funny that it seems like the murmur questions were repeated at least a few times for each murmur and that the matching questions pretty much gave you the answers.

Hey all, I'm a member of the incoming class of 2013 and had a question for all of you who are already at Wayne.

I'm coming from Michigan State and over here, there's 2 or 3 apartment complexes where a lot of the med students live. I know that in Detroit it's a lot more spread out, but I was wondering if there were any apartment complexes in the Royal Oak area which are known for having a lot of SOM students there. Thanks!

Hey all, I'm a member of the incoming class of 2013 and had a question for all of you who are already at Wayne.

I'm coming from Michigan State and over here, there's 2 or 3 apartment complexes where a lot of the med students live. I know that in Detroit it's a lot more spread out, but I was wondering if there were any apartment complexes in the Royal Oak area which are known for having a lot of SOM students there. Thanks!

Check out the previous posts/Detroit housing threads... But the main one is Village Park of RO.

I'm an incoming student as well and was looking for housing near the med school. Any recommendations? Places to avoid?

Thanks for your help!

I'm an incoming student as well and was looking for housing near the med school. Any recommendations? Places to avoid?

Thanks for your help!

step #1: define "near"
step #2: do you really want to spend all of your time close to Scott Hall? sometimes it's nice to get a break from that place.
step #3: search prior threads (and posts in this thread)
step #4: you might already be too late to get your own place in UT, so you might call student affairs and ask about their roommate list
step #5: realize that most of your classmates will live outside of Detroit (in RO or other burbs) - or at least that will be the case by the time you graduate
step #6: consider some of the burbs other than RO... (GPP treated me well).

How is student life outside of school? I know it varies class by class, but are there organizations and whatnot going on in the city and medical class?

How is student life outside of school? I know it varies class by class, but are there organizations and whatnot going on in the city and medical class?

That's a great big fat "Yes!" People within each class have had the outside of school life that he/she made for him/herself. Some people (few) worked full time, some spent most of their away time with spouses/non-medschool friends and family, some formed close groups within the class, some were part of organizations but not really super close with others, some were hermits, and many were a mix of these. The point is that if you want to be super social, there is ample opportunity, if you want to limit your contact to as minimal as possible, you can do that to. And if you just want a business-like relationship with student orgs or to be bff's with those in your org of choice, you can. Like the rest of med-school (and undergrad, and highschool, and really life in general), your experience is what you make of it.

(Just don't be the DB who shows up to school the first day wearing a "trust me I'm a doctor" shirt -- You have to be pretty dang funny/cool to pull this off).

Can you guys recommend textbooks for histo/anatomy that you found useful? I would rather not take out a loan for textbooks and just buy them now via ebay or from friends.

Can you guys recommend textbooks for histo/anatomy that you found useful? I would rather not take out a loan for textbooks and just buy them now via ebay or from friends.

You can wait to buy books.. you can do very well with just the notes. If you buy things ahead of time, you are going to buy too many and never read half of them. As a general rule- wait and see how you handle the notes and see what other people are buying before you buy anything yourself. You may not need anything. With that said, buying them used from the internet, friends, or the AMSA bookstore is the way to go. If I remember right, you don't really need any books for histo. For anatomy, I liked Netter, BRS anatomy, Rohen's color atlas. For step 1, you really just need first aid, but i also used HY anatomy to fill in a couple gaps. I got my netter for free when i joined AMSA at the beginning of school.

Hey, I have a 1bedroom, 1bathroom. Upper flat in Ferndale. The downstairs is rented by a 2nd year med student. Let me know if you're still looking. Can send you more info. [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for your help!

I've heard that you should probably avoid Cathedral Towers (which is walking distance to DMC). They had a bed bug problem for the past several months. And while all the units are obviously not affected, it's best not to take the chance when it comes to those little critters.

From what I've been told, The best places are Studio1, Washington Square Apartments, Kayes, and Riverfront Apartments. There's also a bunch of lofts (Woodward, Brooklyn, River Park, Greektown, Merchant Row). There are also places that are a bit cheaper (Lafayette Towers, Pallister Apartments, Pavillion, etc.).

Has anyone heard decent things about Campus Village Apartments? Does anyone have recommendations for something in midtown Detroit or by the waterfront?

Does anyone have recommendations for something in midtown Detroit or by the waterfront?

Yeah, Union Street bar. Oh you mean to live? Hell no. Wouldn't catch me south of 8 mile. I have a buddy that lives in the brand new condos off Woodward and has already called the cops 15 times this year.

Hey guys,

for all your OOS people, did you take out the full recommended amount for financial aid?

Hey guys,

I want to reschedule my test. I was wondering why the Ann Arbor site was discouraged? I heard there were horror stories and was told to avoid at all costs but don't know why. Please please please PM me so I don't have to waste time checking back here (and reply here for everyone else to read).

Thanks!!

if anyone can tell me about sites other than Troy/Livonia, I'd appreciate knowing what other options are good, too.

Thanks so much.

Hey guys,

I want to reschedule my test. I was wondering why the Ann Arbor site was discouraged? I heard there were horror stories and was told to avoid at all costs but don't know why. Please please please PM me so I don't have to waste time checking back here (and reply here for everyone else to read).

Thanks!!

I had my Step 1 there and can't even imagine what people could be talking about. There were a number of people there from my class the same day I took mine and as far as I know, they had no issues either.

The only "negative" to me was that the bathroom was locked and you had to use a key every time, which I thought was little annoying but certainly not inhibitory.

Hey guys,

Thanks!!

i am convinced there are rumors about certain sites every year... usually not rooted in fact. people hate step 1 and some times these feelings get attributed to the site or other minimal random events. for me, i heard that avoid the troy site because computers randomly shutdown and people had to start their test over on a different day and also because they had the big CRT monitors that gave you migraines... 80% humid, 80 degrees, no central air, etc... lol.

i took step 1 in ann arbor and step 2ck in troy. i had no problems with either of the testing sites. I do personally know someone who had his computer restart (a test site in a diff state) because he kicked the powercord out on accident. However, his progress and time was autosaved and he was able to continue once the computer rebooted.

Does anybody know if WSU-SOM accepts credit card as a form of payment? Also, when do they usually collect tuition fees? Thanks!

I believe they do but they tack on something like a 3% fee for a credit card payment. Do you really have a card with a $30,000 credit limit plus the bank account to pay it off within a month? ;) If so, I'll take some of your money.

Unless you have financial aid they collect payment at registration in May for returning students and late July for incoming students at orientation. There is a monthly plan the school has with Sallie Mae but they tack on more fees.

Does anybody know if WSU-SOM accepts credit card as a form of payment? Also, when do they usually collect tuition fees? Thanks!

not at registration... it's check only, unless you're paying online or beg them to accept cash.

FYI, any of you that are with AT&T we get 15% off the monthly bill at Wayne. Thought that might help some of you. Just put your email in this link and then sign in after you get an email back.

FYI, any of you that are with AT&T we get 15% off the monthly bill at Wayne. Thought that might help some of you. Just put your email in this link and then sign in after you get an email back.

That's awesome! I was actually just looking into cell phone carriers and plans as I'll be using my cell phone as the main mode of communication and not getting a land line.

Any suggestions for plans? I'm Canadian so I'd love to have a plan that includes some international calling minutes.

I believe they do but they tack on something like a 3% fee for a credit card payment. Do you really have a card with a $30,000 credit limit plus the bank account to pay it off within a month? ;) If so, I'll take some of your money.

Unless you have financial aid they collect payment at registration in May for returning students and late July for incoming students at orientation. There is a monthly plan the school has with Sallie Mae but they tack on more fees.

Thanks for the info, if they didn't tack on the fees, I would have "reward points" to earn. Hm, so during orientation/registration, they ask for payments in the form of a check? Do you know if this is required on-site, therefore I have to carry my checkbook, or can I delay it in. Reason I ask is I might fly in to Detroit just for orientation, fly home for a bit to tie up loose ends, and fly back real quick before school starts.

Thanks for the info, if they didn't tack on the fees, I would have "reward points" to earn. Hm, so during orientation/registration, they ask for payments in the form of a check? Do you know if this is required on-site, therefore I have to carry my checkbook, or can I delay it in. Reason I ask is I might fly in to Detroit just for orientation, fly home for a bit to tie up loose ends, and fly back real quick before school starts.

That's probably not gonna work. The orientation, unless it has changed last year, is all week and required attendance. School starts the next monday. I would wrap up your loose ends before you come, my 2 cents

That's probably not gonna work. The orientation, unless it has changed last year, is all week and required attendance. School starts the next monday. I would wrap up your loose ends before you come, my 2 cents

Agreed. In fact, make sure to move to the D a few days before orientation starts so that you can get settled. Remembering back for first year, I think I would have disliked having to forgo either orientation gatherings that happen most nights or studying like it was my job (cause it was) starting the first day of classes.

Any recommended books for each rotation in M3? Specifically surgery because that's what I'm starting with but others would be nice.

Surgical Recall is great, of course

A lesser known book is the NMS Surgery Casebook which I found to be absolutely fantastic and helped me honor the written exam. It is so helpful -- I highly encourage you to browse one at a book store. (plus it's not too long like an "official book").

The Lang Q&A book also seems to be good, but I didn't get through it so I can't really garauntee.

Any recommended books for each rotation in M3? Specifically surgery because that's what I'm starting with but others would be nice.

i did parts of surgery recall before surgeries to cram specific details regarding the procedure i was going to go see. i did pretest surgery. i must have read something else too... maybe kaplan step 2 notes? case files? both? i had a real cushy surgery rotation, so i had a little bit more time to read...

Thanks for the suggestions on books. I bought the NMS Surgery Casebook (seems they haven't updated it in a while but is still popular on the Rotations forum) along with Surgical Recall 5th edition which also seems to be the most popular choice.

I also know that First Aid for Step 2 CK is not quite the must-have as the Step 1 book is but a new version comes out in October/November so I'll probably pick that up for use as an adjunct to the second half of my rotations plus studying for Step 2. I know that USMLE World is the gold standard for studying during the few weeks it takes to study but I'll probably use the First Aid book too. I also know that the test is heavily IM so maybe I'll pick up Step-Up to Medicine 2e (if it won't be updated by then) for my Jan-Feb IM rotation and just have First Aid and UW for actual studying if I take the exam in mid-August.

I also picked up 250 Biggest Mistakes 3rd Year Medical Students Make And How to Avoid Them just to read because it seems that First Aid for the Wards and First Aid for Step 2 CK would overlap too much.

Surgery: Surgical Recall and NMS Surgery Casebook
IM: Step-Up to Medicine (I also have Harrison's, but I'm doubting my capacity to read much of it)
Step 2 CK: First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CK and USMLE World

What about the other rotations? I've heard of BRS and Blueprints. Any recommendations for OB/GYN?

Have any incoming first-years gotten their @med.wayne.edu email addresses yet? I took some classes at Wayne post-bacc so all I've been told so far was to use my @wayne.edu address.

Can someone suggest the books needed for first year? Id like to pick them up now and do some casual reading over the next month. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Have any incoming first-years gotten their @med.wayne.edu email addresses yet? I took some classes at Wayne post-bacc so all I've been told so far was to use my @wayne.edu address.

you won't get it until orientation weekend.

I really dont recommend that. You need to hit the ground running when classes start. You think a month is plenty of time before your first test, until you realize how much info you learn in one day. I made the mistake of actually taking labor day off, and my z-score paid for that dearly!

Can someone suggest the books needed for first year? Id like to pick them up now and do some casual reading over the next month. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Enjoy your time off! There is no point in reading because pretty much all the test questions come from the notes, and most of it is memorization of facts in the notes. Just enjoy your time..you will be studying nonstop soon enough!!

I agree don't pre-study. Buy the books from the AMSA sale during orientation (only for anatomy and perhaps review books for other classes). Try to buy newer editions. If they aren't selling them buy from half.com or amazon.

I agree don't pre-study. Buy the books from the AMSA sale during orientation (only for anatomy and perhaps review books for other classes). Try to buy newer editions. If they aren't selling them buy from half.com or amazon.

Thanks. What is AMSA?

The student branch of the AMA. I wouldn't recommend you join unless you really want to but a lot of us have them sell the books during M1 orientation.

Are they still a source of a "free" netter? I think that is why most of my class joined...

For most stuff, I would agree with the rec to get newer editions... but some things just don't change (anatomy, etc)

for incoming MS1s:
-historically WSU's exams during ms1&2 are like 95+% from the notes. use additional texts as you feel the need but everything that you need for WSU's exams should be in the notes. what you need for step 1 is a different discussion.
-for anatomy netter has its uses but the Rohen atlas is worth it's weight in gold
-go to as many of the orientation week activities as you can. meet as many of the people in your class as you can. get to know as many ms2s as you can
-do not waste any time this summer reading to "get ready" and it will be wasted as the instructors emphasis is likely to differ from yours. and anything you read now you'll just have to reread later
-good luck. don't let the folks that are bitter about med school (myself included - although I am less bitter about med school now... now it's residency that I'm bitter about) get you down

Right. The notes are gold for histo especially and I don't recommend buying any books for it. For anatomy often the notes leave something to be desired. Often in M2 it is the same and they aren't that great. This is why I recommend a board review book to help you with a lot of the concepts (especially in physiology where a lot of people do poorly). Plus, you know what to focus on (you should definitely be using board review books in M2 where you don't really have textbooks).

I'd also argue that the best way to do well on Step 1 is to prepare and actually learn the material during your coursesyou get to M2, definitely do the campus mobility questions online as in Micro many of the questions were word from word from there for the second exam (favorite class). Doing practice questions (old exams are posted on a couple websites at Wayne) will really help to get an idea of what they will ask on the real exam for each course. By the time So be sure to learn the concepts so that they stick rather than the details. (anatomy, histo, biochem, and embryo are notorious for details you'll forget the week after the exam). Just get through that junk and take it for what it is. Don't do it begrudgingly as things will be painful if you do. Try to enjoy the material and things get much easier (and you retain the info).

The most important piece of advice is that your M1/M2 grades don't really matter so don't kill yourself to get honors if you aren't there to begin with. The only time where your grades would matter for preclinicals would be if you are gunning for AOA (honors society) and want to get into an ultra-competitive residency.

Does anyone know what the new student lounge code is?

Does anyone here have any feedback about University Towers or Milner Arms apartments?

I've looked at the apartment reviews website and UT does poorly, whereas Milner arms does rather well.

If you could give any pros/cons about these two places, I would greatly appreciate it. Is there somewhere that you recommend that is safe, cheap and close to campus? Thanks!

is safe, cheap and close to campus? Thanks!

Granted it's been a while since I have spent any time around Scott Hall, but my bet is that you'll have to decide which two of those three are most important to you.
Doubt that you'll find any place that meets all three of the criteria that you have laid out.