Oct 1, 2015
Status
Pre-Veterinary
@noodle3 Hey Noodle - that's great to know that they will drop your first and second year marks! I did not do so good in those first couple of years so its nice to know that they consider all the work you do to improve if you do more undergrad. Crossing fingers that you get an interview this year! I feel like if you had a good interview last year, that you will get invited again. :) And you are right about the residency issue. But I did my undergrad at Trinity Western (expensive $$) so for financial reasons its too much money to do more courses there. However, at the U of S I could at least take another full year, boost my GPA, and maybe find some research opportunities at the college since I'm interested in that.

Feb 3, 2015
Hey guys- hope everyones doing well. I've been having a hard time after the interviews. I can't stop thinking of how I did that day. Has anyone else been thinking the same? If so, any tips?

About the Ads
Jun 5, 2015
Hey @jcbunny I definitely felt the same way a year ago. One day I felt really good, knew I was going to get in. The next day I felt lower than low, thinking about all the mistakes I thought I made. All I can say is...its only a few more weeks until you find out one way or another. Keep yourself super busy - either with school, work, &/or volunteering - don't forget to hang out with friends and enjoy this beautiful early spring. The long wait is tough for everyone.

Feb 3, 2015
Hey @jcbunny I definitely felt the same way a year ago. One day I felt really good, knew I was going to get in. The next day I felt lower than low, thinking about all the mistakes I thought I made. All I can say is...its only a few more weeks until you find out one way or another. Keep yourself super busy - either with school, work, &/or volunteering - don't forget to hang out with friends and enjoy this beautiful early spring. The long wait is tough for everyone.
Thanks. Thats pretty much exactly how I feel. Its tough because a lot is riding on this but Im glad its not just me feeling this way. You ended up getting in though?

sunrise91

2+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
Hey Sunrise! Welcome to SDN :)

I was in exactly the same position as you last year: I had just graduated from university with a 5 year degree and barely got a second round interview. At first I was planning on moving to Saskatoon if I didn't get in to gain residency, but after I spoke with Heather about my interview, it became clear that my grades were my biggest obstacle. My first and second year GPAs were abysmal and Heather said that if I maintained the average that I had in recent years, I would be eligible to drop my two worst years. With that, I decided to stay in BC and go back to school for a 6th year. I'm really glad that I did it because my GPA has been bumped up a few percent as a result. That being said I am still not in first round interview territory, and I am keeping my fingers crossed for a second round interview this year.

If you were to move, you would have to wait an entire year before you are considered a Sask resident without going to school. That means that you would still be BC for the next application cycle. @oink92 , if you were thinking about upgrading at U of S because of residency, then you should keep this in mind also! Where did you guys do you undergrad degrees?
Thank you all or the advice/insight. I am really leaning towards moving to Sask regardless of what happens this round. I know that I would have to apply from BC for another round, however, I think my best chance is to gain Sask res status before attempting to improve my GPA. I feel that my interview could be quite strong, especially compared to last year (did not expect an offer, got it very last minute and barely prepped!). My biggest hurdle is sneaking into that top 40.
Speaking of interviews, is anyone else experiencing the perpetual butterflies as mid May has arrived?!!

canadkata

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hey everyone! I've been following this community since the applications were due in December and everyone seems so helpful so I was hoping maybe someone can give me some advice.....I just received a second round interview invitation for WCVM but I wasn't honestly expecting to get one so I hadn't started prepping :( How did you guys prepare for it? What resources should I use?

Thanks so much and best of luck to everyone that's waiting to hear back in the next few days!!

Reactions: noodle3

noodle3

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
Hey everyone! I've been following this community since the applications were due in December and everyone seems so helpful so I was hoping maybe someone can give me some advice.....I just received a second round interview invitation for WCVM but I wasn't honestly expecting to get one so I hadn't started prepping :( How did you guys prepare for it? What resources should I use?

Thanks so much and best of luck to everyone that's waiting to hear back in the next few days!!
Congratulations, @canadkata , and welcome! I got an invite today as well :) what province are you from?

Don't worry too much about prepping a lot of facts. As long as you are comfortable speaking professionally and have a good general knowledge of the veterinary profession, you will be fine. A lot of people recommend the book Veterinary Ethics by Rollin (I think that's what it's called), but I can't vouch for that personally. The most valuable resources to me were the vets I know- especially those who had recently graduated. There are also a lot of questions available online that aren't necessarily specific to WCVM. I recommend practicing with people so that you get more comfortable answering questions on the spot.

Best of luck to you, and I'm sure you will do just fine :).

Reactions: oink92

Sally and Z

2+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2014
Status
Veterinary Student
I got a second round interview offer as well yesterday. I've been asking the vets I know but most have graduated quite a while ago so hopefully the questions haven't changed too much lately! Congrats to everyone who got one and good luck!

Reactions: oink92
Jun 5, 2015
Congratulations both of you! @Sally and Z @canadkata. From what my friends have told me they can ask you some pretty tough questions. If you don't know the answer don't bull****. You might be able to draw on some of your experiences and knowledge and explain how you might approach something, but leave it at that. Its fine to say that you are not familiar with a subject or topic. They will undoubtably know more than you, so don't try and pull a fast one on them. In order to prepare myself I did a lot of research on current topics in veterinary medicine - antibiotics, lyme disease, hormones & food animals, tail docking and ear cropping, animal welfare, avian flu, free-range vs. enriched cages for chickens...It helped me familiarize myself with the issues facing our profession and professions linked to ours.

Also just two weeks left until I suspect the UCVM offers will go out - I got my phone call two weeks from today on June 2nd. I'm getting pretty excited!

About the Ads

DPolaris

Easily swayed by food.
2+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
Congrats! And yea only 2ish more weeks to gooooo IT'S HAPPENING!!!

canadkata

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Phew, I got an early one! Anyone else going on May 30th? And thanks, @BeautifulBritishColumbia !
Man! I think I have one of the last slots - May 31st at 2:30! I know they have tours of the facilities at 12:30 or so and I'd love to attend but I wonder if I'd be cutting it too close with only 2 hours in between. What are your guys' thoughts?

SARdoghandler

something something legend
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2016
Mel's Psyche
Status
Veterinary Student
Congrats to everyone who got the notice for interviews at WCVM!

And just a note to my fellow UCVMers, I'm not anticipating we'll hear anything before the second week of June. I was told that both by the dean and some of the people running the interviews that everything was running about a week later than usual this year (hence the WCVM interviews being later too) so they would be contacting people in the 2nd week instead of the first. Also, if anyone is worrying if all their documents/transcripts are in for UCVM - I highly recommend calling the application people. The lady I spoke to was super helpful! I have three separate transcripts coming in and I was freaking out about whether they got there or not and she checked all my requirements and assured me they had everything they needed to make their decision and I can relax til the second week of June.

Yeah, relax, right? ;)

Mar 12, 2016
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Congrats to everyone who got the notice for interviews at WCVM!

And just a note to my fellow UCVMers, I'm not anticipating we'll hear anything before the second week of June. I was told that both by the dean and some of the people running the interviews that everything was running about a week later than usual this year (hence the WCVM interviews being later too) so they would be contacting people in the 2nd week instead of the first. Also, if anyone is worrying if all their documents/transcripts are in for UCVM - I highly recommend calling the application people. The lady I spoke to was super helpful! I have three separate transcripts coming in and I was freaking out about whether they got there or not and she checked all my requirements and assured me they had everything they needed to make their decision and I can relax til the second week of June.

Yeah, relax, right? ;)
Thanks for the heads up! Now I can delay the stressing for a week :)

May 24, 2016
For those who plan to attend the tour or that already have, do you know if we are allowed to bring our parent(s) or boyfriend with us? Do you plan to change out of your interview clothes?

About the Ads
May 14, 2014
Saskatoon
Status
Veterinary Student
For those who plan to attend the tour or that already have, do you know if we are allowed to bring our parent(s) or boyfriend with us? Do you plan to change out of your interview clothes?
The year I interviewed there were definitely people who had significant others/family with them. Dr Grahn was the one touring at the time and he actually involved those sort of people a lot on the tour! So feel welcome to bring them.

I went on a tour a different day than my interview so I was wearing jeans, but most of the other interviewees were still wearing business clothes. So either is fine :)

May 29, 2015
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I'm an Alberta applicant and my interview's coming up on Thursday. It's my second time applying and I've only interviewed at UCVM previously. Any additional tips for the interview? Getting some serious jitters and excitement bubbling at the same time.

Mar 12, 2016
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I'm getting so anxious! I wonder if the malware issues U of C has been having has affected their decision process/timing?

Feb 3, 2015
I'm getting so anxious! I wonder if the malware issues U of C has been having has affected their decision process/timing?
Not sure of the reason but I spoke with them yesterday and they said they'd be announcing on Monday :/ So you can relax until then at least. Super anxious too.

Nov 23, 2015
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Not sure of the reason but I spoke with them yesterday and they said they'd be announcing on Monday :/ So you can relax until then at least. Super anxious too.
Anyone know when WCVM will announce their decision?

SARdoghandler

2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2016
Mel's Psyche
Status
Veterinary Student
Hey guys, just wanted to give you all a heads up...

UCVM is calling... Cause I just got the notice that I got in! Not going to lie, I got off the phone as fast as possible and burst into tears (?). Guess it was all that stress coming out. Anyone else get a phone call yet today? My last name is quite high in the alphabet, so I wouldn't be shocked if they're doing it that way so I was likely one of the first.

TheGirlWithTheFernTattoo

West Coast Best Coast c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student

UCVM is calling... Cause I just got the notice that I got in! Not going to lie, I got off the phone as fast as possible and burst into tears (?). Guess it was all that stress coming out. Anyone else get a phone call yet today? My last name is quite high in the alphabet, so I wouldn't be shocked if they're doing it that way so I was likely one of the first.
SAR congratulations!!! That is so exciting for you.

Fingers crossed for everyone else who still hasn't heard!

About the Ads
Mar 12, 2016
Status
Pre-Veterinary

Congratulations!! Thanks for letting us know!

Kind of bummers, as I didn't get a call, but I guess there is still hope for waitlisting!:xf:

DPolaris

Easily swayed by food.
2+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
Congratulations SAR! Good luck everyone!

Jun 5, 2015

Awesome!! I can't wait to meet you :) I hope you accept...will you be waiting on a call from WCVM?

awesomenessity

UCVM 2020
2+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta
Status
Veterinary Student
I just joined SDN! I got the call from UCVM yesterday around 10:30AM. Looks like we'll be classmates SAR!

My last name is fairly far down the alphabet so who knows how they are ordering the calls. I interviewed in the afternoon session.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I got the best call of my life yesterday too! I can't wait to meet my classmates. For those still waiting, don't give up!

Reactions: capucinus1

SARdoghandler

2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2016
Mel's Psyche
Status
Veterinary Student
Thanks for all the support everyone! Fingers crossed for those who still haven't gotten calls/are waiting on WCVM!

Awesome!! I can't wait to meet you :) I hope you accept...will you be waiting on a call from WCVM?
I'm not waiting on a WCVM call - I didn't have university level physics so I couldn't apply this year. So I'll be accepting the UCVM offer the second that email hits my inbox hahah. Looking forward to meeting you too!

SAR, was your interview in the morning or afternoon?
I was in the morning session.

I just joined SDN! I got the call from UCVM yesterday around 10:30AM. Looks like we'll be classmates SAR!

My last name is fairly far down the alphabet so who knows how they are ordering the calls. I interviewed in the afternoon session.
So excited to meet you, then! Are you planning on accepting UCVM? If so you should message me, maybe those of us who got in and are on this forum can get together for coffee or something before semester? Obviously late in the summer if you guys aren't local, but I'm in Calgary and make weekly trips to Edmonton! Haha

I got the best call of my life yesterday too! I can't wait to meet my classmates. For those still waiting, don't give up!
Hey! Same offer as I made above for awesomenessity! If you're planning on accepting UCVM I'd love to meet up at some time before first day!

awesomenessity

UCVM 2020
2+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta
Status
Veterinary Student
I'm not waiting on a WCVM call - I didn't have university level physics so I couldn't apply this year.
I too didn't have university physics, so I also didn't apply to WCVM this year! Funny coincidence :)

I'm in the Edmonton area and make regular trips to Calgary! Unfortunately most of the time it's for horse shows so that keeps me rather busy while I'm there ;) But I'd love to meet up before the semester starts!

SARdoghandler

2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2016
Mel's Psyche
Status
Veterinary Student
I too didn't have university physics, so I also didn't apply to WCVM this year! Funny coincidence :)

I'm in the Edmonton area and make regular trips to Calgary! Unfortunately most of the time it's for horse shows so that keeps me rather busy while I'm there ;) But I'd love to meet up before the semester starts!
Like I said, message me and we can see if we can find something that works! I'm up in Edmonton almost every Sunday because that's where my k9 search and rescue team is located. Usually we wrap up by 12 ish. So I do always have my dog with me, but if I have my boyfriend along to help drive he can take her for a walk if it's too hot to leave her in the car! Haha

DPolaris

Easily swayed by food.
2+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
Woohoo congratulations everyone! A bit early right now but closer to July/early August the Facebook page for you folks will be up as well :DD

Lvk

Jun 5, 2016
Hi everyone! I found this thread a few days ago when I was freaking out about hearing from UCVM (weren't we all) and found out yesterday that I got in! I cannot wait to meet you all and have enjoyed reading all your discussions (creepy?)!

On a side note, I was wondering if any current UCVM students could explain to me what block week is and if we need to take classes during it? I am trying to book a trip and am not sure if the start of the term includes block week or occurs after. Hope you can help!

Jun 5, 2015
Hi everyone! I found this thread a few days ago when I was freaking out about hearing from UCVM (weren't we all) and found out yesterday that I got in! I cannot wait to meet you all and have enjoyed reading all your discussions (creepy?)!

On a side note, I was wondering if any current UCVM students could explain to me what block week is and if we need to take classes during it? I am trying to book a trip and am not sure if the start of the term includes block week or occurs after. Hope you can help!
Hey @Lvk, I would avoid taking vacations during this time. We had *mandatory* orientation on the 27/28th of August and then field trips during the first week of September (or "Block Week"). You won't want to miss out on these as it is a course and there are quizzes. My guess would be that you would have something similar - probably orientation on the 1/2 of Sept with a week of field trips from 5-9th of September with real classes starting on the 12th. But I would wait until you get your orientation package (late June/early July) before making any final vacation plans as you could start as early as the 25th/26th of August and have your field trips booked for the week of August 29th-September 2nd.

Block Week at UoC is just a week that is placed at the beginning of a semester where undergraduate students can take full semester courses in 5 days. Its pretty handy. You are only allowed to take one class per block week as they are pretty much all day (8hrs) for 5 days. First year vet students take advantage of this block week by going on field trips. Its a lot of fun. You don't have to worry about registering for classes or doing any of that kind of stuff because the vet program automatically enrolls you in what you need. If you have any more questions or if your orientation package leaves you with questions let me know...also like DPolaris said there will be an exclusive Facebook page for your class set up once the class list is finalized, once added there will be older students who can answer questions.

Lvk

Jun 5, 2016
Hey @Lvk, I would avoid taking vacations during this time. We had *mandatory* orientation on the 27/28th of August and then field trips during the first week of September (or "Block Week"). You won't want to miss out on these as it is a course and there are quizzes. My guess would be that you would have something similar - probably orientation on the 1/2 of Sept with a week of field trips from 5-9th of September with real classes starting on the 12th. But I would wait until you get your orientation package (late June/early July) before making any final vacation plans as you could start as early as the 25th/26th of August and have your field trips booked for the week of August 29th-September 2nd.

Block Week at UoC is just a week that is placed at the beginning of a semester where undergraduate students can take full semester courses in 5 days. Its pretty handy. You are only allowed to take one class per block week as they are pretty much all day (8hrs) for 5 days. First year vet students take advantage of this block week by going on field trips. Its a lot of fun. You don't have to worry about registering for classes or doing any of that kind of stuff because the vet program automatically enrolls you in what you need. If you have any more questions or if your orientation package leaves you with questions let me know...also like DPolaris said there will be an exclusive Facebook page for your class set up once the class list is finalized, once added there will be older students who can answer questions.
Thank you so much capucinus1, super helpful! I am excited for all the orientation and beginning of the year events. I am staying around all summer and my tentative vacation plans are actually for the Christmas break. The confusion comes in for me where the academic calendar says that winter term 2017 starts January 2nd whereas classes start January 9th. I was planning on being gone up until about the 7th so the whole block week thing is kinda throwing me off haha. Are the block week field trips mandatory? Maybe you could clarify this? I will also read through the orientation package when it arrives to get a better idea. Thanks again!

About the Ads