This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got in off the UCVM waitlist today ! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Anybody who's in the class of 2022 and wants to get to know others who are also in - PM me so we can add on Facebook :) I'm excited to meet everyone!! I'm going to wait to make a Facebook group but i'l make a Facebook "chat" and invite everyone who's contacted me into it. I've heard that the university will make us a class of 2022 group for us on Facebook soon! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to everyone who got in, so happy for you! :) Any advice from people who didn't get into WCVM their first try? Feeling slightly bummed but hopeful for next year! Feel free to private message me if you don't feel comfortable sharing your experience on the forum:happy:

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I also got into WCVM from BC this year (yay!) and I'm trying to figure out the living situation. Is anyone here still looking for a roommate? Also, is it typically standard practice for students to get brand new textbooks and keep them after each year? Has anybody had any experience with buying them or borrowing them from previous vet students?

Thanks!

I’ve been told you actually only need 1-2 textbooks and should hold off on buying until you talk to a vet student/start classes.

There’s a Facebook group called WCVM Textbook Sale where people sell their old textbooks.

I’ve been told you actually only need 1-2 textbooks and should hold off on buying until you talk to a vet student/start classes.

There’s a Facebook group called WCVM Textbook Sale where people sell their old textbooks.

Oh that's awesome and super helpful! Thanks!

Hey guys! I have a really great opportunity for those of you who did not get in this year and would like more veterinary experience!

My clinic is looking for a lovely student to join our team as a veterinary assistant. We are in BC, but have taken students from Ontario before, so if you don't live here it's still a possibility!

We would prefer a co-op student, or someone who would be willing to join the co-op program! It would include full-time work terms of 8 or 12 months. This is perfect position for someone interested in veterinary medicine. In the past 5 years, we have had 7 students (including myself) get into vet school and we are really proud of this. You would have a variety of duties: client communications, assisting in the treatment room, helping with kitten adoptions, helping in reception, etc. If you have any questions or would like to apply, feel free to send me a message, I look forward to hearing from you!

Hey! Does anyone know what the grade cut-offs were for the WCVM first and second round interviews in the Alberta pool this year? (or if anyone from Alberta who received an interview or acceptance would be willing to share their GPA?) Thank you!

Hey! Does anyone know what the grade cut-offs were for the WCVM first and second round interviews in the Alberta pool this year? (or if anyone from Alberta who received an interview or acceptance would be willing to share their GPA?) Thank you!

Hi there! I asked Heather the same thing regarding the BC pool for WCVM through email. She said that WCVM does not release the grade cut-off for first round interviews, but they do tell you the cut-off for second round interviews if you email her! If you are willing to share your GPA she may also release info on where you might’ve ranked this year had you applied!

Hi there! I know this is kind of early but I'm having a pretty slow summer (I got into a biking accident so fun things are very limited) and was wondering about textbooks for ucvm. Can you buy them used/ is there a list that will tell us which ones we need (and in those the ones you really need)/ will it be coming soon to us? Thanks all :)

Hi there! I know this is kind of early but I'm having a pretty slow summer (I got into a biking accident so fun things are very limited) and was wondering about textbooks for ucvm. Can you buy them used/ is there a list that will tell us which ones we need (and in those the ones you really need)/ will it be coming soon to us? Thanks all :)

Hey! There is a list of ones you "need" but realistically you don't need any of them... haha. I would say the one on the list that people use most would be Dyce Anatomy, but a lot of my class preferred Pasquini Anatomy instead. We did a group order directly from the publisher about halfway through first year... I had ordered one previously because I had heard it was highly recommended, and people loved my copy so they wanted to get their own. I believe a lot of last year's first years also ordered it.

Other than that, the Color Atlas of Histology book is useful, and I know some people used it quite a bit. I didn't particularly find the physiology textbooks useful... they can be quite dense. One book that is fantastic for reproductive anatomy and physiology is Pathways to Pregnancy and Parturition, highly recommend that one if you have any interest in reproduction. Pathologic Basis of Disease is a really great textbook to have, not necessarily for the classes (I don't think I have touched mine for a course related thing once...) but it's a really great reference for all the weird and wonderful pathologies you might encounter. The genetics and immunology textbooks were kind of meh, but I know some of my classmates almost exclusively studied from the immunology textbook because the prof could be a bit confusing at times. The professional skills textbook is also not super useful, but they will make seem like it's absolute requirement that you own it... haha. I'm sure there are other first year textbooks but I cannot for the life of me remember them.

All of the textbooks you could need are also available in the CSB or Foothills library, so if you do need to look up a quick thing, but don't want to shell out for the textbook, you should be fine! The only textbooks I would recommend buying are ones you feel you will need to have for reference at home long-term (like anatomy, potentially).

Keep in mind my info might be slightly outdated... I'm going into third year now haha. Also if you are interested in either the genetics or immunology textbooks, I'd be willing to part with mine ;)

Anyone who got first round interview from BC or Alberta care to share what their GPA was?
I know this is an older post but I just joined the forum and would love to share my experience!

I am an Alberta resident who just finished third year at the U of A and got a first round interview at WCVM this year. I interviewed at both UCVM and WCVM and got into both schools. My GPA was NOT perfect, so chins up to everyone working hard right now and getting ready for next year! It is possible!

My first year, I had a GPA of 3.45/4, second year was 3.68/4 and third was 3.87/4. I thought I had bombed my WCVM interview, and drove the 5 hours home crying and miserable. On the other hand, I had so much fun with my UCVM MMI's that I left feeling absolutely alive. I got an interview after I applied to UCVM in second year, but did not make the cut that year. I did not apply to WCVM in second year because I didn't have physics. I think one of the reasons I enjoyed MMI's is because I formed a practice MMI study group at school, so had a tonne of practice before going in for my second time.

If anyone has any questions about the process, I'd love to help :)