This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shinebright88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that applied with a masters degree, did you weigh that GPA more when choosing where to apply? Did you find that dental schools put more weight on how you did in the masters program then your undergrad GPA? This is going with the assumption that your DAT is stellar. I am having a hard time choosing which schools to realistically apply to due to the disparity in numbers.

Members don't see this ad.

For those that applied with a masters degree, did you weigh that GPA more when choosing where to apply? Did you find that dental schools put more weight on how you did in the masters program then your undergrad GPA? This is going with the assumption that your DAT is stellar. I am having a hard time choosing which schools to realistically apply to due to the disparity in numbers.

My application this last cycle was exactly this situation, granted this is a reapplication for me. I am finishing my masters with a 3.9 GPA and had an undergrad oGPA of 3.1. My retake DAT was 23+ in most sections. My mindset when choosing schools still revolved around my undergraduate GPA so I applied to many private schools (WesternU, LECOM, UNE, ASDOH etc). I still applied to my in state school (Minnesota) knowing that my graduate GPA and in-state status could help me be more competitive. I also felt more comfortable with schools that have higher average oGPAs like UNLV, Midwestern-AZ, and Creighton due to my graduate GPA and DAT. I attended 7 interviews and was accepted to 4 (Minnesota, UNE, Midwestern, and WesternU). My recommendation is that you apply to a good portion of private schools as well as your in-state preferred school if you have one. I hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to schools that matched by UG GPA range, and also ones that matched my grad and DAT score. I ended up with 6 interviews and 5 acceptances (WesternU, Tufts, Michigan, UCLA, and UNC). I applied to private and public around the country, so definitely apply to a mix!

Reactions: 1 users