Weight and admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsfan1234

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think overweight/obese applicants are at a disadvantage in med school interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think overweight/obese applicants are at a disadvantage in med school interviews?

I have seen obese medical students (in their first year, so not the result of sitting around studying for 4 years) so I don't think it is something that is a major factor. Still, as a future physician and someone who should convey an image of health, better to slim down and be proactive about this sort of thing.

Truth be told, I didn't fit into my suit (too fat), so I started to work out when I got my first interview invite haha.

Reactions: 1 user
I have seen obese medical students (in their first year, so not the result of sitting around studying for 4 years) so I don't think it is something that is a major factor. Still, as a future physician and someone who should convey an image of health, better to slim down and be proactive about this sort of thing.

Truth be told, I didn't fit into my suit (too fat), so I started to work out when I got my first interview invite haha.
I agree. I don't think it should matter. Although, as a future physician, it might make it more difficult when trying to convince patients they should lose some weight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if there is not a disadvantage specific to medical school interviews, overweight applicants are at a disadvantage in general when interviewed. People tend to be more generous in their opinion of people that are more attractive.

Reactions: 6 users
If something is going to prevent you from attending a medical school, it is not going to be your weight, unless it will literally prevent you from being able to walk. So quit fussing and focus on other much more important things. That said, eating healthy and exercising is always a good advice so try to do that as well.

The interview is only one component of your application and your weight/attractiveness will only contribute to a fraction of your evaluation. That said, there have been many studies that show attractive people tend to be more successful in things like interviews and negotiations, not necessarily directly due to their attractiveness, but rather the confidence they have gained from a lifetime of positive feedback.

On top of that the type of people who normally self-select to apply to med schools seem to be generally healthier than the average person anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
From the interviews I attended, I never saw a "fat" interviewee. Everyone was more or less average. However, that's probably just how the applicant pool is; I don't think schools actively deny heavy-set people interview invites (I don't think they really can, since all they have is your headshot, if even that). While it might be detriment during the actual interview, I don't think being fat/obese would outright disqualify you from attending medical school.

I saw in another thread that Stanford med evaluates interviewees on their "athleticism"

Hmmmmm

I saw in another thread that Stanford med evaluates interviewees on their "athleticism"

Hmmmmm

Then they made a mistake not sending me a secondary, because I totes could cop dem NYC golden gloves, huzzah!

Hmmmmm
They need to start evaluating their athletes on their "athleticism". Anybody see that Rose Bowl game? Amirite???

Reactions: 14 users
They need to start evaluating their athletes on their "athleticism". Anybody see that Rose Bowl game? Amirite???
Go Green.

Reactions: 1 users
Go Green.

#stillflippinout

@OP: As dj said, I think it's fair to say that attractive people have a slight advantage in the interview. I think the answer is very mildly yes, unless you're an incredibly attractive pudgy person.

Members don't see this ad :)
#stillflippinout

@OP: As dj said, I think it's fair to say that attractive people have a slight advantage in the interview. I think the answer is very mildly yes, unless you're an incredibly attractive pudgy person.

Just talk to my ex. Somehow that manatee tramp got accepted to medical school.

Reactions: 6 users
Just talk to my ex. Somehow that manatee tramp got accepted to medical school.

LOL. I'm glad that you're 100% over it and harbor no negative feelings.

Reactions: 23 users
Pics or she didn't happen

I'm not posting pictures of my slob ex-girlfriend. She goes to some D.O. school in Kansas City. Not sure if she is on SDN or not lol. She was one of those fat girls with a pretty face. In my defense, if I haven't gotten any in 6 months I am not accountable for who I kick it with.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm not posting pictures of my slob ex-girlfriend. She goes to some D.O. school in Kansas City. Not sure if she is on SDN or not lol. She was one of those fat girls with a pretty face. In my defense, if I haven't gotten any in 6 months I am not accountable for who I kick it with.
Oh good point, you can PM your proof directly into my inbox.

I demand only two things on this site, respect, and pictures of everyone's girlfriend.

Reactions: 10 users
On a related note, if she was so bad, why are you bitter about the breakup? No point in feeling bitter about a mésalliance when it wasn't good enough for you anyway. Just how I try to look at it

As a fat girl and thread starter, I do not condone these types of offensive comments. Very rude. Your momma would be disappointed in you.

As a fat girl and thread starter, I do not condone these types of offensive comments. Very rude. Your momma would be disappointed in you.

(Resisting urge to make a "yo momma so fat" joke)

I'm sure nobody wants anyone to feel bad. It's easy to detect and give off rudeness on the Internet without meaning to, as I'm sure is the case here.

The good news is, to the best of my knowledge there is no specific bias related to weight in medical admissions, and I seriously doubt it would ever be a factor. It's far more important that you look and behave yourself professionally and are prepared for the interview.

Cheers, and good luck.

On a related note, if she was so bad, why are you bitter about the breakup? No point in feeling bitter about a mésalliance when it wasn't good enough for you anyway. Just how I try to look at it

That's kind of just my reflex response when someone calls me out for talking trash about my ex haha.

My mom reminds me every day what a disspointment I am to her. I'm at peace with it really, like - since I was 17 I've been okay with this.

(P.S. sorry if I offended you - I just cant resist the urge bring up a gross ex story lol)

(Resisting urge to make a "yo momma so fat" joke)

I walked into that one lol. But in all seriousness, calling your ex girlfriend a "manatee" and "slob" on the Internet....not cool.

I walked into that one lol. But in all seriousness, calling your ex girlfriend a "manatee" and "slob" on the Internet....not cool.

So it's still cool if I call her a tramp then?

So it's still cool if I call her a tramp then?

Manatee is a no no. Tramp is almost less offensive, as it's more generic. If my ex called me a tramp I'd think...whatever , he's bitter. But manatee? That's just mean

Manatee is a no no. Tramp is almost less offensive, as it's more generic.

I was merely being facetious - I apologize again if I had crossed a proverbial line here. It was merely in the interest of bro-fun, not to hurt anyone.

OH THE HUGE MANATEE

Reactions: 9 users
Dang, I thought this thread could have fostered intelligent discussion :(

This thread lived long enough to become the villain, unfortunately. I mean look at the "class of x" threads.

I would say that you got pretty good answers before we got sidetracked. Not much more to say really.

Well this thread lost professionalism unusually quickly lol

To be fair, the OP got some decent answers for an uncommon but not unreasonable question. So why not let this become a little more social/debaucherous/fun?

To be fair, the OP got some decent answers for an uncommon but not unreasonable question. So why not let this become a little more social/debaucherous/fun?

Your comments were rude and offensive. Maybe that is what passes for "social and fun" with you and your "bros"...which is sad, but you need to take it down a notch when you leave the frat

Your comments were rude and offensive. Maybe that is what passes for "social and fun" with you and your "bros"...which is sad, but you need to take it down a notch when you leave the frat

I apologized for those comments. If you still have a problem with it, I suggest you get thicker skin - SDN is pretty dog-eat-dog.

Reactions: 2 users

:corny:

Oh come on. He already apologized, let it go.

Reactions: 5 users
Plot twist: OP is burberry's ex. Dun dun dunnnnnn.

I can totally do Jerry Springer's job.

Reactions: 10 users
Plot twist: OP is burberry's ex. Dun dun dunnnnnn.

I can totally do Jerry Springer's job.
Hahaha, nah - my ex was a Bengals fan. Dissapointing day for her today hahaha

Hahaha, nah - my ex was a Bengals fan. Dissapointing day for her today hahaha

Very...

Back to the original question though, this is something I've been thinking about quite a bit and hadn't seen addressed here. Kudos, jetsfan1234

everybody loves thick girls

mmmmmm

everybody loves thick girls

mmmmmm

Disagree. Not many love thick guys, either. It's just much less politically incorrect to say you like fit men than fit women. I think this makes guys say they like bigger ladies due to social pressure when in reality both sexes prefer partners which appear healthy and fertile.

Last edited:
my p**** doesn't bow to social pressure!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.