Weight and admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. No really, I laughed out loud at this. Not because of the content, but because of how ridiculously smug you sound. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are very young.

She sounds smug, you sound condescending. Someone please let me know how I sound :D

Members don't see this ad.

OP would find a better response to this topic on "The Rotund."

Lol. No really, I laughed out loud at this. Not because of the content, but because of how ridiculously smug you sound. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are very young.
She doesn't come off as smug at all. She made a lifestyle change and has known the effects it can have on her health. Find a few episodes of "You Are What You Eat" and see the difference just a few little behavioral changes can make in someone's life. Between January and August of last year, I lost ≈55 lbs (215 to 160ish) by becoming a vegetarian, ceasing my consumption of sweets, juicing fruits and vegetables and getting involved in martial arts. It does require a bit of discipline, as she said, because you are changing your whole lifestyle!
Your post--->:bullcrap:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Chances are, I am older than you ;) In all seriousness, it's a shame my post only conveyed smugness to you. If you and I had a chance to chat at length a couple years ago, you would have heard every reason imaginable coming out of my mouth to excuse not living a healthy lifestyle. Everything from, I am the way I am to, I don't have the time or money to, my genes will doom me to some other disease before my lack of exercise will matter.

You know what, I am proud of the changes I have made to my lifestyle and I am sure that my pride comes off as smugness and arrogance right now..hopefully when this lifestyle is no longer "new" I won't sound like that. In the mean time, I maintain that if I can do it so can most everyone else out there.

Societal pressure to eat well and look fit definitely played a role in my motivation to live a better lifestyle. Now, I live this way because I like it, but before I needed that push. Whether or not we as a society ought to condemn obesity in the way we have condemned smoking is up for debate - not to say that we should professionally discriminate based on weight, again, let's liken obesity to smoking - but I am pretty glad that the pressure was there so I could get to where I am now.

Reactions: 2 users
I like to attribute my interview relaxation to knowing that I look great in heels and a well cut suit ;)

As someone who never worked out until last spring, I will say it - get up off that couch and hit the gym, stop blaming the world, OP! I learned in the last year that there is literally no excuse for not being healthy, genes play a role, but just about anyone can get to a heathy weight through a bit of hard work and a lot of discipline. Work 12 hours a day like I do? Hit the gym at 6am!

Do you wanna go out some time? lol

Chances are, I am older than you ;) In all seriousness, it's a shame my post only conveyed smugness to you. If you and I had a chance to chat at length a couple years ago, you would have heard every reason imaginable coming out of my mouth to excuse not living a healthy lifestyle. Everything from, I am the way I am to, I don't have the time or money to, my genes will doom me to some other disease before my lack of exercise will matter.

You know what, I am proud of the changes I have made to my lifestyle and I am sure that my pride comes off as smugness and arrogance right now..hopefully when this lifestyle is no longer "new" I won't sound like that. In the mean time, I maintain that if I can do it so can most everyone else out there.

Societal pressure to eat well and look fit definitely played a role in my motivation to live a better lifestyle. Now, I live this way because I like it, but before I needed that push. Whether or not we as a society ought to condemn obesity in the way we have condemned smoking is up for debate - not to say that we should professionally discriminate based on weight, again, let's liken obesity to smoking - but I am pretty glad that the pressure was there so I could get to where I am now.

Very well said. Couldn't have said it better myself. But OP will find some way to condemn you, like she did with most of the SDNers here.

I don't have time to address this entire post, but please remember: Not everyone is a single 24-year-old with oodles of "me time."

I hope you wise up to this reality before you see your first patient.

I don't have time to address this entire post, but please remember: Not everyone is a single 24-year-old with oodles of "me time."

Seems like another excuse ;-)

@jetsfan1234 I am in a committed 2 year relationship, currently living with my girlfriend. I work 6 days a week in a research lab where I have held down a serious position for almost five years. My average hours worked a day vary between 8-18hours, depending on how long our experiments run...sometimes you just have the perfect neuron on your electrode and you don't stop collecting data until you are forced to :) As I said in my initial post, I work out in the mornings before going to work...this happens 3-4 mornings a week...I have also roped my girlfriend into joining me. I do not have oodles of me time, but there are enough hours in the day to do your best to look after yourself properly.

If you would like to talk more about this, feel free to PM me, but please do not leave short and sharply worded messages based on assumptions.

Reactions: 5 users
@jetsfan1234 I am in a committed 2 year relationship, currently living with my girlfriend. I work 6 days a week in a research lab where I have held down a serious position for almost five years. My average hours worked a day vary between 8-18hours, depending on how long our experiments run...sometimes you just have the perfect neuron on your electrode and you don't stop collecting data until you are forced to :) As I said in my initial post, I work out in the mornings before going to work...this happens 3-4 mornings a week...I have also roped my girlfriend into joining me. I do not have oodles of me time, but there are enough hours in the day to do your best to look after yourself properly.

If you would like to talk more about this, feel free to PM me, but please do not leave short and sharply worded messages based on assumptions.

Omg. I am not talking about the stresses (lol) of having a girlfriend/boyfriend and a plum job in a research lab. I am referring to issues such as having dependents--children, elderly parents, etc, among other things. Believe it or not, we can't all afford to go to the gym...

You seem like an intelligent person, so the fact that you are unable to comprehend anyone else's life situation (outside of your own) is frightening.

But seriously, kudos to you for your workout schedule. If everyone was as awesome as you are, we wouldn't have an
obesity crisis in this country now, would we?

Members don't see this ad :)
Very well said. Couldn't have said it better myself. But OP will find some way to condemn you, like she did with most of the SDNers here.

I think OP is upset because this discussion is very personal to her. I don't hate fat people at all, in fact I find nothing wrong with someone overweight who chooses to stay that way. They are also happier compared to people who are upset because they are overweight yet don't make a change. I'm sure you laugh at yourself about certain aspects in a light manner. If I saw a post making fun of nerdy dorks, I wouldn't rage, I'd probably make a rag on myself :p

Still, nothing in the first 10 posts seemed uncalled for. You can argue the slob part I guess, but remember, thick skin will get you far. You and I both know that there is nothing we can do to change people's opinions. Most schools don't care about your weight. If they do, oh well, move on to others. Like dating. If someone says they'll never speak to an overweight girl, who cares, move on to other potential people.

Also, you don need to pay for a gym. Walk outside in the spring-fall, or if it's decent now. Buy cheap weights.

Reactions: 1 user
Believe it or not, we can't all afford to go to the gym...

You are right, I cannot afford a gym in the city either. But I can afford a mat to do exercises on, and various sizes of water bottles that I can use for weights. I can also afford Internet and I find exercise routine videos online to follow. I live near a pond and in the summer I swim in the pond.

You seem like an intelligent person, so the fact that you are unable to comprehend anyone else's life situation (outside of your own) is frightening.

...not cool

Reactions: 3 users
You are right, I cannot afford a gym in the city either. But I can afford a mat to do exercises on, and various sizes of water bottles that I can use for weights. I can also afford Internet and I find exercise routine videos online to follow. I live near a pond and in the summer I swim in the pond.

...not cool
+1 kyamh, major props not only for your posts in this thread (and this site generally) but on making things work and finding ways to improve yourself and be happy even with limited time and money. I would think that your example would be inspirational to others, not prompt this outpouring of nastiness.

PS has anyone ever told you you look a little like Kate Mulgrew :vulcan:

Who needs a gym?

hqdefault.jpg

I think OP is upset because this discussion is very personal to her. I don't hate fat people at all, in fact I find nothing wrong with someone overweight who chooses to stay that way. They are also happier compared to people who are upset because they are overweight yet don't make a change. I'm sure you laugh at yourself about certain aspects in a light manner. If I saw a post making fun of nerdy dorks, I wouldn't rage, I'd probably make a rag on myself :p

Still, nothing in the first 10 posts seemed uncalled for. You can argue the slob part I guess, but remember, thick skin will get you far. You and I both know that there is nothing we can do to change people's opinions. Most schools don't care about your weight. If they do, oh well, move on to others. Like dating. If someone says they'll never speak to an overweight girl, who cares, move on to other potential people.

Also, you don need to pay for a gym. Walk outside in the spring-fall, or if it's decent now. Buy cheap weights.

It's not "upset". It's rage! :rage::punch::rage::punch: I understand this issue is personal for her, but tell me, how are these posts appropriate?

Omg. I am not talking about the stresses (lol) of having a girlfriend/boyfriend and a plum job in a research lab. I am referring to issues such as having dependents--children, elderly parents, etc, among other things. Believe it or not, we can't all afford to go to the gym...

But seriously, kudos to you for your workout schedule. If everyone was as awesome as you are, we wouldn't have an
obesity crisis in this country now, would we?

OP intentionally insulted kyamh DESPITE @Ismet warning. This crosses the line.

PS has anyone ever told you you look a little like Kate Mulgrew :vulcan:

I can only dream of the day I might approach her greatness...talk about some quality roles and graceful aging!

This thread is getting heavy. Definitely a weighty issue for some people.

Reactions: 9 users
Just be the bigger person and waddle away, otherwise we'll have an even more massive problem on our hands
Well that's hard to do when you're carrying a lot of dead weight around. It can be a heavy burden.

It's not "upset". It's rage! :rage::punch::rage::punch: I understand this issue is personal for her, but tell me, how are these posts appropriate?

OP intentionally insulted kyamh DESPITE @Ismet warning. This crosses the line.

I agree. She should have never even thought about slinging insults. No one ITT came close to insulting her whatsoever.

Also, what kyamh was nowhere close to smug! I can't name one sentence he/she said that even implies that. It is common knowledge that it is possible to live a very, very healthy lifestyle while maintaining a busy life? is it easy? no. But is everything that is worthwhile easy? No.

All you need is exercise and a good diet. Is that easy peasy? To some, it's not as easy. However, if there's a will, there's a way. Someone who wants to be healthy WILL find a way to make it work. 30-60 mins of exercise + a good well balanced diet isn't uncalled for or asking too much for someone taking care of elderly parents and kids. Hell, using good exercise and diet and implementing them with your kids can go a long way. After all, making obese/overweight kids ain't fun.

Last edited:
I agree. She should have never even thought about slinging insults. No one ITT came close to insulting her whatsoever.

Also, what kyamh was nowhere close to smug! I can't name one sentence he/she said that even implies that. It is common knowledge that it is possible to live a very, very healthy lifestyle while maintaining a busy life? is it easy? no. But is everything that is worthwhile easy? No.

All you need is exercise and a good diet. Is that easy peasy? To some, it's not as easy. However, if there's a will, there's a way. Someone who wants to be healthy WILL find a way to make it work. 30-60 mins of exercise + a good well balanced diet isn't uncalled for or asking too much for someone taking care of elderly parents and kids. Hell, using good exercise and diet and implementing them with your kids can go a long way. After all, making obese/overweight kids ain't fun.
Inb4 OP lambasts you for such an ignorant, judgmental, and shocking post.

Well that's hard to do when you're carrying a lot of dead weight around. It can be a heavy burden.

an exercise in kindness might lighten the gravity of this discussion....remember that such gluttonous amounts of anger tend to be largely waisted

LOL...well I'll be ready for her wrath!

Not worth it. Arguing with an enraged premed is a waste of time. We lost too many good med students/residents/fellows/attendings from this forum because of angry premeds :( Don't wanna lose you! :bigtears:

Not worth it. Arguing with an enraged premed is a waste of time. We lost too many good med students/residents/fellows/attendings from this forum because of angry premeds :( Don't wanna lose you! :bigtears:

I keep it classy, and plus this is a very calm discussion, at least on my end. If the opposite person wants to go crazy, well I'm sorry they get offended by simple statements. After all, with my post, the people offended by saying "diet and exercise is manageable" are usually the same people in this parody video:

BTW, off topic but I love your new avatar <3

It seems that you (and others on this thread) believe that lookism is something that we should simply accept, and not attempt to address, on the basis that it is a "natural instinct." is this correct?

"Lookism"? It's no doubt that we are internally nicer to people who we find physically attractive. This isn't even concerning weight. It's concerning everything. It would be a wonderful world of rainbows and happiness if humans weren't biased towards certain people, but they are. We can attempt to change this, but we must also accept this as a reality.

If you're talking about accepting the fact that "skinny" = beautiful and the way western media portrays beauty, then I definitely believe we should change that. But concerning internal responses to people we find attractive, that's a much more complex problem that's quite impossible to change.

I believe everyone is "beautiful" but we all have our own "types". I know some people who find the western "skinny model" ugly, and prefer people on the "chubby" side, so they would probably internally respond better to heavier people. I'm confident you have your own preferences as well.

Many schools will be using BMIs to convert 2015 MCAT scores to 2014 equivalents.

The equation is:

2014_Equiv. = 2015_MCAT / [(|BMI - 20|/10) + 1.25]

I admit this is pretty unfair, though, since admissions chances are already inversely related to BMI, but I guess they have to cut some people out somehow...

"Lookism"? It's no doubt that we are internally nicer to people who we find physically attractive. This isn't even concerning weight. It's concerning everything. It would be a wonderful world of rainbows and happiness if humans weren't biased towards certain people, but they are. We can attempt to change this, but we must also accept this as a reality.

If you're talking about accepting the fact that "skinny" = beautiful and the way western media portrays beauty, then I definitely believe we should change that. But concerning internal responses to people we find attractive, that's a much more complex problem that's quite impossible to change.

I believe everyone is "beautiful" but we all have our own "types". I know some people who find the western "skinny model" ugly, and prefer people on the "chubby" side, so they would probably internally respond better to heavier people. I'm confident you have your own preferences as well.

This thread has gotten so far out of control, I think the original question has been obscured. Of course you are free to be attracted to whatever "type" you want. No one is saying you have to be attracted to fat people, or skinny people, or tall people, etc. Rather, I intended to address bias in professional situations. I happen to be attracted to men -- does that mean I am biased towards attractive men when I interview them? Perhaps, but I actively try to be objective as possible. Looking back, my hires have been nearly a perfect 50-50 male-female split. And I have turned away men with model good looks, in favor of others who were slightly better qualified.

Many posters argue that looks and physical attraction will always play a role in professional situations. I would argue that it benefits everyone when you take steps to combat personal biases.

This thread has gotten so far out of control, I think the original question has been obscured. Of course you are free to be attracted to whatever "type" you want. No one is saying you have to be attracted to fat people, or skinny people, or tall people, etc. Rather, I intended to address bias in professional situations. I happen to be attracted to men -- does that mean I am biased towards attractive men when I interview them? Perhaps, but I actively try to be objective as possible. Looking back, my hires have been nearly a perfect 50-50 male-female split. And I have turned away men with model good looks, in favor of others who were slightly better qualified.

Many posters argue that looks and physical attraction will always play a role in professional situations. I would argue that it benefits everyone when you take steps to combat personal biases.

This thread isn't getting out of control for no reason. Your follow up statements and questions (eg. "Why not?") just prolong the discussion.

Then there is no argument....of COURSE people actively try to be as unbiased as possible. That's why the answer to this question (and you can confirm by searching the millions of other threads with your exact same question) will always be "Being better looking will help marginally, as are all human interactions". It's absolutely ridiculous to entertain the thought that anyone can get accepted to med schools based on looks alone. However, we are all biased, no matter how hard we try not to be, on some subconscious level.

And THAT is why this internal bias isn't equal to other forms of discrimination -- because even if you actively try to combat it, it still exists on some level.

This thread isn't getting out of control for no reason. Your follow up statements and questions (eg. "Why not?") just prolong the discussion.

And THAT is why this internal bias isn't equal to other forms of discrimination -- because even if you actively try to combat it, it still exists on some level.

Yes, my two word follow up question ( "why not")has totally derailed this thread. Let's ignore the trollish comments from other posters, random/bizarre embedded videos, side conversations between Sdners, etc....

Yes, my two word follow up question ( "why not")has totally derailed this thread. Let's ignore the trollish comments from other posters, random/bizarre embedded videos, side conversations between Sdners, etc....

I never said your posts derailed the thread. Your thread is still alive because you are here. ;)

I assure you that your thread will die out if you simply don't post. Your thread isn't a special snowflake and it, too, can't survive without its thread creator.

Yes because you clearly held your part of the conversation in a professional manner.

Reactions: 3 users

That's what MMIs attempt to do is to combat interviewers' personal biases.

The problem with trying to eliminate this type of bias is that there is no clear objective standard to define beauty and be able to prove some sort of discrimination or adverse impact. If the interviewer writes crappy evaluations for black people, women, Asians, etc... You can just look ah the numbers and see a pattern. How are you going to that with looks?

I wonder how many people replied to this thread to make sure they were securely standing on their pedestal above other people whether it be OP, overweight people in general, or a particular person from one's past.

This thread in a nutshell:
-OP is an overweight female who is worried that her physique will keep her out of medical school.
-A few people reply to give their guesses, then a medical school administrator says they do not list being overweight as a specific red flag. At this point the thread should have been done.
-Post #14 someone is still not over his ex, so he decides to post about it in OP's thread since she, as an overweight future doctor, reminds him somewhat of his ex who is an overweight future doctor. Unfortunately, this post offends OP because it used derogatory language against overweight people. He later gives an insincere apology while continuing to say insulting things.
-OP is now very upset because she feels insulted and mocked, so she posts her feelings.
-Insert condescension and people telling OP to get over herself and off her pedestal.

It could be said I am now doing the same thing, standing on my pedestal to feel better. I would, however suggest that there is a difference between reprimanding a person who is probably even more worried now after hearing the opinions of many pre-meds about the evils of obesity and what I am doing.
Also, physician =/= dietitian or personal trainer. If you wish to lose weight, those are the avenues you take, and those people should look the part, but that is advertising. I doubt a sane person would refuse to undergo surgery because the doctor was too fat.

Reactions: 7 users
What bugs me is that weight doesn't have a direct correlation to willpower, discipline or moral superiority. It's wrong to assume that everyone who is thin is a praiseworthy health nut and everyone who is overweight is like Jabba the Hutt. Although I am not super-skinny, I have never been overweight - and yet I do not work out and I rarely watch what I eat. I suspect my weight has more to do with genetics, as no one in my extended family is obese (although we all live in the USA, with its high rate of obesity) and only a few are slightly overweight, due to age and a sedentary lifestyle. Losing weight and keep it off is easy for some, difficult for others.

I wonder how many people replied to this thread to make sure they were securely standing on their pedestal above other people whether it be OP, overweight people in general, or a particular person from one's past.

This thread in a nutshell:
-OP is an overweight female who is worried that her physique will keep her out of medical school.
-A few people reply to give their guesses, then a medical school administrator says they do not list being overweight as a specific red flag. At this point the thread should have been done.
-Post #14 someone is still not over his ex, so he decides to post about it in OP's thread since she, as an overweight future doctor, reminds him somewhat of his ex who is an overweight future doctor. Unfortunately, this post offends OP because it used derogatory language against overweight people. He later gives an insincere apology while continuing to say insulting things.
-OP is now very upset because she feels insulted and mocked, so she posts her feelings.
-Insert condescension and people telling OP to get over herself and off her pedestal.

It could be said I am now doing the same thing, standing on my pedestal to feel better. I would, however suggest that there is a difference between reprimanding a person who is probably even more worried now after hearing the opinions of many pre-meds about the evils of obesity and what I am doing.
Also, physician =/= dietitian or personal trainer. If you wish to lose weight, those are the avenues you take, and those people should look the part, but that is advertising. I doubt a sane person would refuse to undergo surgery because the doctor was too fat.

That was an incredibly awkward defense of OP rolled into a cliff's notes of this thread. I thank you for your valuable commentary, but I saw the movie, so I am pretty sure I know what happened in here.

Never Forget

What bugs me is that weight doesn't have a direct correlation to willpower, discipline or moral superiority. It's wrong to assume that everyone who is thin is a praiseworthy health nut and everyone who is overweight is like Jabba the Hutt. Although I am not super-skinny, I have never been overweight - and yet I do not work out and I rarely watch what I eat. I suspect my weight has more to do with genetics, as no one in my extended family is obese (although we all live in the USA, with its high rate of obesity) and only a few are slightly overweight, due to age and a sedentary lifestyle. Losing weight and keep it off is easy for some, difficult for others.

I agree that different people have to put different amount of effort into staying fit. That said, different students also have to put different amounts of effort into getting good grades. It's not fair, but we as a society accept this inequality of academic ability and still urge everyone to try and get A's.....we also often look down on students who perform particularly poorly. Why is it not equally socially acceptable to urge everyone to put in whatever effort is necessary for their particular body? (serious question, not meant to be rhetorical, why is this the case?)

No one knew that the OP was overweight until she reacted to BurberryDoc's post. The whole thing would have dropped if OP would have taken just taken his 2 apologies and moved on. She only caught as much flack as she did because of all the righteous indignation over an off color joke.

I agree that different people have to put different amount of effort into staying fit. That said, different students also have to put different amounts of effort into getting good grades. It's not fair, but we as a society accept this inequality of academic ability and still urge everyone to try and get A's.....we also often look down on students who perform particularly poorly. Why is it not equally socially acceptable to urge everyone to put in whatever effort is necessary for their particular body? (serious question, not meant to be rhetorical, why is this the case?)

You are correct that people may differ in innate academic ability, just like they may differ in body type.

However, since when is it "socially acceptable" to look down on weaker/less intelligent students? If this is something you do, then your approach to life is so fundamentally different from mine, I cannot even begin to comment.

You are correct that people may differ in innate academic ability, just like they may differ in body type.

However, since when is it "socially acceptable" to look down on weaker/less intelligent students? If this is something you do, then your approach to life is so fundamentally different from mine, I cannot even begin to comment.

Do you have an alert for each time I post on this thread? ;)

I am not saying that we should look down on students who have to try harder, I said we look down on students whose outcomes are not good - who have poor GPAs and who fail out. I am talking about final outcomes. Medical school applicants, other professional/graduate school applicants, and job applicants really cannot have a GPA that is below a 3.0 or a 2.5 (edit, maybe 2.0?)...depending on the application. We as a society think it is okay to expect that level of academic performance from students, regardless of how hard the students have to try. Likewise, I wonder why we do not similarly expect a baseline final fitness goal for most people regardless of how easy or hard it may be for them to achieve.

In other words, why do we accept the reasons of a "slow metabolism" or "lack of time" for someone to remain overweight, but we do not accept the reason "it is hard for me to take tests" or "I don't have time to study" as an excuses for a poor GPA, at least in the context of post-undergraduate endeavors.

You just can't lay off me, can you :)

I am not saying that we should look down on students who have to try harder, I said we look down on students whose outcomes are not good - who have poor GPAs and who fail out. I am talking about final outcomes. Medical school applicants, other professional/graduate school applicants, and job applicants really cannot have a GPA that is below a 3.0 or a 2.5...depending on the application. We as a society think it is okay to expect that level of academic performance from students, regardless of how hard the students have to try. Likewise, I wonder why we do not similarly expect a baseline final fitness goal for most people regardless of how easy or hard it may be for them to achieve.

In other words, why do we accept the reasons of a "slow metabolism" or "lack of time" for someone to remain overweight, but we do not accept the reason "it is hard for me to take tests" or "I don't have time to study" as an excuses for a poor GPA, at least in the context of post-undergraduate endeavors.

Yes, students are judged on intelligence when they apply to medical school. Just like women are judged on attractiveness when they apply to become victoria's secret models. Do you understand that outside of these select situations, a person's grades and weight are no one else's business?

Yes, students are judged on intelligence when they apply to medical school. Just like women are judged on attractiveness when they apply to become victoria's secret models. Do you understand that outside of these select situations, a person's grades and weight are no one else's business?

You're still not getting it. This world you speak of, where a "person's weight is no one else's business" does. not. exist. Sweetheart, you are out of touch with reality. As others have mentioned, try as we might, we still judge other people based on appearances - this much you simply cannot deny.

Now, how much this judging affects our interviews is the topic of discussion, and most will agree that it really won't make much of a difference. But when you, OP, say that only victoria's secret models are judged on their looks...this is pure (and blissful) delusion.

OP, this is really becoming too much. I've been lurking this thread, but this thread is really getting out of hand. You are criticizing everyone for the way they think and picking fights with everyone who posts their opinion on this thread, but from what I can see, you don't handle criticism well yourself. From what I can tell, to you, everyone else is wrong no matter what they say, and you're the only right person in this whole thread.

You tell people that they're condescending when you've said some condescending things yourself. You told some people on this thread that they're immature when you've been acting immature as well.

Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.