Welcome to the early release of the new Forums!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh look, you can see the ranking of members with the most "likes" here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?members/&type=likes

That makes it even worse...
Oh my god...

Really not feeling comfortable with this, guys. This will fundamentally change the dynamic of SDN for the worse.

Members don't see this ad.

It actually is against the TOS to reveal your own identity. From the TOS:

1. Protect anonymity. Remember, the SDN Forums are followed by students, doctors, schools and professional organizations. Please keep your identity protecteddon’t post or use your real name on the forums. Additionally, members are not permitted to solicit personally identifiable information from other members (such as through research surveys, etc) without written permission from SDN or disclose another member’s identity without their written permission.

Hmm. I can't really say for sure, but it seems like that's more of a guideline, unlike the second half where it's "not permitted."

If you don't want to associate your FB and SDN accounts, then you still have the same functionality on the SDN Forums! The only problem is that none of your FB friends know how awesome you are on SDN ;) The normal SDN accounts are not going anywhere, and you will never be forced to login to SDN using Facebook if you don't want to!

Lol

yeeahh....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It actually is against the TOS to reveal your own identity. From the TOS:

1. Protect anonymity. Remember, the SDN Forums are followed by students, doctors, schools and professional organizations. Please keep your identity protecteddon’t post or use your real name on the forums. Additionally, members are not permitted to solicit personally identifiable information from other members (such as through research surveys, etc) without written permission from SDN or disclose another member’s identity without their written permission.
Hmm. I can't really say for sure, but it seems like that's more of a guideline, unlike the second half where it's "not permitted."

Yeah, that's really just internet common sense/safety. I don't think anyone here discloses their real name, but loads of people are very easily identifiable via MDApps or simply what they post on WAMC/School-specific threads/etc (even if they think they're trying to be anonymous ;)). You can pretty much do what you want with your own information...the big issue is disclosing personal information about others.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, that's really just internet common sense/safety. I don't think anyone here discloses their real name, but loads of people are very easily identifiable via MDApps or simply what they post on WAMC/School-specific threads/etc (even if they think they're trying to be anonymous ;)). You can pretty much do what you want with your own information...the big issue is disclosing personal information about others.

I considered that - I just couldn't decide whether the excerpt I posted was intended to be "here's a friendly reminder for your own sake, but, like, do what you want, man :cool:" or "here are the published norms to which you agree to adhere in order to use this site."

From what I'm reading, it sounds like integrating your SDN account with your Facebook account won't cause your identity to be revealed to other SDN members, anyway. So... moot point, hooray!

Reactions: 3 users
One suggestion I would make is to possibly change the color scheme of the links of threads. The colors are so similar it is hard to tell if a thread is something I clicked on already or not (before any new posts are made in there), if I happened to only look at it for a brief while. Or at least make it more bold.

Also how do you send private messages to people? I am unable to figure that out

One suggestion I would make is to possibly change the color scheme of the links of threads. The colors are so similar it is hard to tell if a thread is something I clicked on already or not (before any new posts are made in there), if I happened to only look at it for a brief while. Or at least make it more bold.

Also how do you send private messages to people? I am unable to figure that out

at the top right of page it says inbox
click that and "start new conversation"

does this new layout hurt anyone else's eyes? i dont know what it is. maybe it's all the whiteness

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is mainly about the format update, but as long as we're talking change, could we add multi-quote functionality for the app in the future? I know I can just go to the phone browser and do it there, but I guess I tend towards the lazy :p

+1000. The mobile app (either for my phone or my iPad) is how I visit SDN 99% of the time--and the 1% of the time I view the computer webpage is to use the multi-quote function. The inability to quote multiple posts at once is my main gripe with the mobile app.

+1000. The mobile app (either for my phone or my iPad) is how I visit SDN 99% of the time--and the 1% of the time I view the computer webpage is to use the multi-quote function. The inability to quote multiple posts at once is my main gripe with the mobile app.
I know this is mainly about the format update, but as long as we're talking change, could we add multi-quote functionality for the app in the future? I know I can just go to the phone browser and do it there, but I guess I tend towards the lazy :p
I can multi-quote on the Android SDN app. Don't know about iOS...

I HAVE COMPLAINTS.

1. I always hate when websites implement some form of "reputation system" because it just leads to nothing but puns and memes. See what happened to the comment section on Reddit.

2. I can no longer creep on who's looking at a certain thread or who's been on my profile?! I need my daily SDN creeping :(

3. Badges should come back. I feel the badge was one of the few reasons people actually donated ;)

I HAVE COMPLAINTS.

1. I always hate when websites implement some form of "reputation system" because it just leads to nothing but puns and memes. See what happened to the comment section on Reddit.

2. I can no longer creep on who's looking at a certain thread or who's been on my profile?! I need my daily SDN creeping :(

3. Badges should come back. I feel the badge was one of the few reasons people actually donated ;)
They've already said that badges are coming back!

I HAVE COMPLAINTS.

You do realize the donor badges (except for Lifetime) expire after a few years right?

I HAVE COMPLAINTS.

As was said earlier ITT (either by Caesar or sector9), there's still moderation. You still have the ability to report posts, and "positive contribution" is still in the TOS. ;)

I understand it's a big change and a lot of things are still missing, but it's being worked on. Like the notice at the top of the page says, things are being worked on in order of priority. Just be patient and things will soon settle back to normal.

You really think we will let that happen? You still have report post ability and meaningful contribution is still in the TOS.

Degradation in comment quality over time is subjective and not really a reportable offense.

I like this new look and how it lets you know when somebody has reply to you. :) But I need my thumps up emoticon, its my signature emoticon.

I HAVE COMPLAINTS.

Absolutely this. Regardless of ability to report posts/enforce the TOS, it changes the nature of the site and IMO works against the mission of the site.

Absolutely this. Regardless of ability to report posts/enforce the TOS, it changes the nature of the site and IMO works against the mission of the site.
uptight premeds won't like a funny meme as much as they will like an overly in depth post.

People, we get use to YouTube changing their layouts all the time, we can get use to this.

I like it except that
- there are too few posts on one page, making threads a lot longer
- each individual reply seems too big, like 1 post takes up most of my 15.7 inch screen. I can see two posts max at one time without scrolling. Doesn't that seem too big?

I have a thread open from before the change and although I read most of it, I don't want to close it, cause it's like the last door to the old SDN..lol..

I have a thread open from before the change and although I read most of it, I don't want to close it, cause it's like the last door to the old SDN..lol..
Pic before it reloads itself
There should be a banner for rocket scientists... or something similar. :cool:
A tonne of badges will be added soon !!!!!!

And...

g1382922545681372154.jpg

At first I was confused how I got 161 Trophy points when I didn't do anything o_O

Then I saw it was only for how long you're a member. Makes more sense...was wondering where it all would come from :O

At first I was confused how I got 161 Trophy points when I didn't do anything o_O

Then I saw it was only for how long you're a member. Makes more sense...was wondering where it all would come from :O
yeah lol

In several years we'll be saying: "If you remember this you probably took the old MCAT."
Haha...I actually remember the really old version of SDN, where it was like a bright blue color and larger fonts. I'm not sure when exactly they moved to the more sophisticated turquoise/gray. I guess we're getting old, lol.

Haha...I actually remember the really old version of SDN, where it was like a bright blue color and larger fonts. I'm not sure when exactly they moved to the more sophisticated turquoise/gray. I guess we're getting old, lol.

This version was actually still available until yesterday... you had to select it specifically.

It was getting tired though - I welcome the new layout!

Okay, so here are a few questions I have about this:

1) what are trophy points? …. are they based on how long you've been a member? The join date is already listed. Isn't that enough?
2) how can I get my name in a smaller font? I hate that dangling "u". Lee, please, please change it to "ThisCouldBeU" instead.
3) change that green highlighter. I can't read what's written underneath.
4) Bring back MDapps! That was SDN's best feature. (Or tell me how to find it.)
5) get rid of those "likes". This isn't fb and it's really distracting and not necessary for this kind of forum.
6) I can't figure out when there's a new post, unless there's a quote. The white is okay, but I need some kind of distinction between posts.
7) why are the posts so big? It's especially botherome when there aren't very posts per page.
8) How can I get rid of the "Likes" under my name?
9) what are messages? Who cares? That's information I don't need to see.
10) Thank you guys for updating this. Not so sure I like it, but I know you had a very busy time to get this in order. Hopefully you're still fixing some of the glitches.

I do like the looks of the new banners for donors...
Random question. So you are thinking of going into pediatrics? If so, will you do a fellowship instead of just being a reg pediatric doc?

So is anyone with an android phone having issues with the mobile version? I haven't been able to gain access on my phone for weeks.

Okay, so here are a few questions I have about this:

1) what are trophy points? …. are they based on how long you've been a member? The join date is already listed. Isn't that enough?
2) how can I get my name in a smaller font? I hate that dangling "u". Lee, please, please change it to "ThisCouldBeU" instead.
3) change that green highlighter. I can't read what's written underneath.
4) Bring back MDapps! That was SDN's best feature. (Or tell me how to find it.)
5) get rid of those "likes". This isn't fb and it's really distracting and not necessary for this kind of forum.
6) I can't figure out when there's a new post, unless there's a quote. The white is okay, but I need some kind of distinction between posts.
7) why are the posts so big? It's especially botherome when there aren't very posts per page.
8) How can I get rid of the "Likes" under my name?
9) what are messages? Who cares? That's information I don't need to see.
10) Thank you guys for updating this. Not so sure I like it, but I know you had a very busy time to get this in order. Hopefully you're still fixing some of the glitches.

1. Trophy points are based mostly on how long you've been here. They're basically the same as the old "2 year member, 5 year member, etc" badges we used to have. You can click on the trophy point link (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?help/trophies) to see them all.
2. --
3. I don't see anything green?
4. I'm guessing that'll be brought back in a later update since they're only adding the necessities right now. The profile page still has a place for you to enter your MDApps ID so obviously it's not gone completely.
5. --
6. Look at the top right - it'll show a little new banner if you haven't seen the post before. Unless you mean on the forum itself, in that case a thread with an unread post in it should have a blue dot next to it.
7. --
8. --
9. By messages it means number of posts, not actual private messages. It's a good way to see if someone has been around for a while and it was around in the old design too.
10. --