Well connected, residency guaranteed upon grad., should I go Car.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicineman01

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the cost of sounding like a narcissist, I speak with honesty when I say that my parents are extremely well connected physicians operating out of the NY/NJ area in the states in high positions in their respective fields. I have been assured that I will be guaranteed a residency in my chosen field upon graduation regardless of the school I graduate from. I have applied for my first year MD/DO round and have been rejected from every single school. Should I wait a year and reapply with a low 3 gpa and high 20's mcat (+ EXCELLENT internships/shadowing) again, or should I use the resources available to me and go to the Caribbean and get the residency I am guaranteed. What else should I consider aside from residency?

Members don't see this ad.

If anything go to any SMP and perform well that year. If you perform well enough to get in, then medicine is probably right for you. If it is between nothing or Carib, find another field.

Were you promised a spot from your parents or from an actual program? I think people who think they are "connected" inflate their influence. I've had senior physicians in my institution contact me to help arrange a residency spot for their child / niece / nephew / friend etc. I tell them all to go take a hike. The CEO's daughter graduated from med school in the past, and I only considered her for a spot because she earned it. Plus, program leadership can change over time -- someone who promises you a spot now may not be in a position to give it to you in 4 years. And, it's easy to "promise" you something now, and then if your USMLE's / performance are not great, "forget" about that promise later.

So, my advice is to assume that you won't be promised a spot, and make your decisions from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot can happen in 4 years, I wouldn't bet my future on the verbal assurance of some family friend. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least try another app cycle before going carib.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd wager it's more likely that OP would land a polite interview, to be followed by an even more polite rejection.

We're you promised a spot from your parents or from an actual program? I think people who think they are "connected" inflate their influence. I've had senior physicians in my institution contact me to help arrange a residency spot for their child / niece / nephew / friend etc. I tell them all to go take a hike. The CEO's daughter graduated from med school in the past, and I only considered her for a spot because she earned it. Plus, program leadership can change over time -- someone who promises you a spot now may not be in a position to give it to you in 4 years. And, it's easy to "promise" you something now, and then if your USMLE's / performance are not great, "forget" about that promise later.

So, my advice is to assume that you won't be promised a spot, and make your decisions from there.

Reactions: 1 users
If your parents are well connected enough to land you a residency...they should be well connected enough to land you a spot in a US med school

Exactly my thoughts. Someone with this many resources at hand (two "well-connected" physician parents) who still can't crack a 30 MCAT and 3.3 GPA isn't entitled to a spot in medical school. Now whether they want to roll the dice and risk going Caribbean is their business, but their profile is the textbook Caribbean student who doesn't succeed and make it off the island with a residency in hand.

At the cost of sounding like a narcissist, I speak with honesty when I say that my parents are extremely well connected physicians operating out of the NY/NJ area in the states in high positions in their respective fields. I have been assured that I will be guaranteed a residency in my chosen field upon graduation regardless of the school I graduate from. I have applied for my first year MD/DO round and have been rejected from every single school. Should I wait a year and reapply with a low 3 gpa and high 20's mcat (+ EXCELLENT internships/shadowing) again, or should I use the resources available to me and go to the Caribbean and get the residency I am guaranteed. What else should I consider aside from residency?
Well first you have to pass medical school then your steps before your guaranteed anything, so get off your high horse and take it one step at a time...

Both your parents are established physicians and you scored in the high 20s on your MCAT? Something smells fishy. If your parents are as established as you say they are, they should've guided you away from taking the MCAT until you were performing comfortably in the 70th percentile and guided you away from even the mere thought of going abroad to earn your medical degree.