Well I just ruined my life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is more exciting than the Oscars this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
If we're placing bets, I'm going with "Chickened out, applied to IM/FM or Psych and matched."

A 222. Wanted to do ENT, I'll be lucky get my MD and match anything now. Actually I don't even deserve to match. I really did give this is my all, I really did. Completed all of Uworld (73% percentile), multiple times I did Pathoma, multiple times I did Sketchy, multiple times I did FA. And for what? A failure. That's all I am in life, a failure. I wish I could give you guys advice on how to study for Step, but you don't want mine. I was a very strong applicant to medical school in every regard, but my low 30s MCAT held me back then. I had to explain myself on every interview. Luckily one good school gave me a chance. In retrospect they shouldn't have. I disgraced my med school, my family, and most of all myself.

I did well the first two years. I have 5 first author publications (real publications, not that case report crap), 7 poster/oral presentations. All that time I spent, all for nothing. Well I take that back, at least I hope it helps the field, the field I'm never going to be a part of. And that's the hardest part, I never will be a part of the field because I just can't take a freaking standardized test to save my life. The best part is that I have an oral presentation on my research at a meeting coming up in a couple of months. I have to figure out how to pull myself together to give this talk to a bunch of academic ENTs, because deep down inside I just feel embarrassed now. Just so embarrassed. I'm even embarrassed to talk to my mentor anymore. The supportive 4th years and residents told me that you aren't your score, but God knows that's just how I (and every residency program) am going to see myself for the next two years. It was the same way with my MCAT score (everything else was good, actually great...but that score defined me and now this score defines me). I purposely never met with my program director here to show interest just in case this happened, and well, it happened.

If I could just give any advice to any 1st or 2nd years reading this (especially if you struggled with standardized tests like I have my whole life), try your hardest. The test is difficult especially if you are stupid like me or aren't a good test taker like me. You don't want to be as broken apart as I am right now. I'm going to keep trying hard on my rotations to honor them and keep writing papers, but I know in my heart that I just ruined my life, plain and simple.

Clicked on the title thinking you punched a surgery attending in the OR or literally murdered somebody and got...this.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can only imagine his silence means he matched. If failedatlife didn't match he'd be here immediately to talk about it.
Oh, I don't know that. Let me tell you what I do know. Every day I come by to check on @failedatlife. And I read his old posts and have a few laughs, and it's great. But you know what the best part of my day is? It's for about ten seconds from when I log in to when I search his username. Because I think maybe I'll click on his profile and he won't be there. No goodbye, no see you later, no nothin'. Just left. I don't know much, but I know that.

Reactions: 18 users
Oh, I don't know that. Let me tell you what I do know. Every day I come by to check on @failedatlife. And I read his old posts and have a few laughs, and it's great. But you know what the best part of my day is? It's for about ten seconds from when I log in to when I search his username. Because I think maybe I'll click on his profile and he won't be there. No goodbye, no see you later, no nothin'. Just left. I don't know much, but I know that.

The best part of your day is the uncertainty of an internet stranger? That's the saddest **** I've ever heard. Get help man.

The best part of your day is the uncertainty of an internet stranger? That's the saddest **** I've ever heard. Get help man.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 13 users
He probably has to change his username if he matched, so now a new alias!

OK for IM/FM/Gas/EM etc.... Not ok for ENT though.

Eh remember our old pal is from a top school. He has some leeway. Not to mention there were 11 SOAP spots this year. My money is on the fact that he matched and we will never see him again lol

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Eh remember our old pal is from a top school. He has some leeway. Not to mention there were 11 SOAP spots this year. My money is on the fact that he matched and we will never see him again lol

That’s some bull****. He better at least drop in on his way out to say “matched ent” or something. Come on @failedatlife!

Reactions: 3 users
We wont hear from him in a while until he encounters a hot nurse who doesnt care he matched into ENT and he comes to complain about it.

Reactions: 10 users
Why are you guys speculating about the outcome of a made-up scenario from a satirical account that was created solely to mock med student jealousy, self-consciousness, and neuroticism?

Reactions: 1 users
Why are you guys speculating about the outcome of a made-up scenario from a satirical account that was created solely to mock med student jealousy, self-consciousness, and neuroticism?

Because entertainment

Reactions: 12 users
Posted to follow... Rooting for ya @failedatlife

Been working as ENT scribe x 3 years! Clinic gets boring at-times...

A 222. Wanted to do ENT, I'll be lucky get my MD and match anything now. Actually I don't even deserve to match. I really did give this is my all, I really did. Completed all of Uworld (73% percentile), multiple times I did Pathoma, multiple times I did Sketchy, multiple times I did FA. And for what? A failure. That's all I am in life, a failure. I wish I could give you guys advice on how to study for Step, but you don't want mine. I was a very strong applicant to medical school in every regard, but my low 30s MCAT held me back then. I had to explain myself on every interview. Luckily one good school gave me a chance. In retrospect they shouldn't have. I disgraced my med school, my family, and most of all myself.

I did well the first two years. I have 5 first author publications (real publications, not that case report crap), 7 poster/oral presentations. All that time I spent, all for nothing. Well I take that back, at least I hope it helps the field, the field I'm never going to be a part of. And that's the hardest part, I never will be a part of the field because I just can't take a freaking standardized test to save my life. The best part is that I have an oral presentation on my research at a meeting coming up in a couple of months. I have to figure out how to pull myself together to give this talk to a bunch of academic ENTs, because deep down inside I just feel embarrassed now. Just so embarrassed. I'm even embarrassed to talk to my mentor anymore. The supportive 4th years and residents told me that you aren't your score, but God knows that's just how I (and every residency program) am going to see myself for the next two years. It was the same way with my MCAT score (everything else was good, actually great...but that score defined me and now this score defines me). I purposely never met with my program director here to show interest just in case this happened, and well, it happened.

If I could just give any advice to any 1st or 2nd years reading this (especially if you struggled with standardized tests like I have my whole life), try your hardest. The test is difficult especially if you are stupid like me or aren't a good test taker like me. You don't want to be as broken apart as I am right now. I'm going to keep trying hard on my rotations to honor them and keep writing papers, but I know in my heart that I just ruined my life, plain and simple.

I want to give some perspective on this. You might be ruled out for ENT, but ENT is just a job. There are a lot of IMGs who are crying right now because they have gone many cycles without matching. There are even AMGs who have their careers ending in medicine because they cannot match in ANY residency. Not just ENT.

OP, right now you have the oppurtunity to go into a lot of fields that will give you a six figure salary and you are gonna be in the top 5% (1%?) of earners in the United States. You shouldn't be crying just because one door might be shut. There are a lot more that are open.

If we're placing bets, I'm going with "Chickened out, applied to IM/FM or Psych and matched."
This is what I’ve hoped he would do because top school + lots of pubs would make this easy even with a (passing! 30-something percentile!) 222, but I’m pretty sure he was ENT or bust.
If it had just been this one melodramatic post I wouldn’t care, but OP kept the act up and now we are invested.

We wont hear from him in a while until he encounters a hot nurse who doesnt care he matched into ENT and he comes to complain about it.

I think you meant we won't hear from him until said hot nurse divorces him and takes the lambo in the following proceedings...

Reactions: 6 users
I want to give some perspective on this. You might be ruled out for ENT, but ENT is just a job. There are a lot of IMGs who are crying right now because they have gone many cycles without matching. There are even AMGs who have their careers ending in medicine because they cannot match in ANY residency. Not just ENT.

OP, right now you have the oppurtunity to go into a lot of fields that will give you a six figure salary and you are gonna be in the top 5% (1%?) of earners in the United States. You shouldn't be crying just because one door might be shut. There are a lot more that are open.

Boo hoo carib/ foriegn grads can't get jobs wahhhh

Feelsbad when people have fallen low enough to make light of other people's suffering. -_-
Or maybe they should have listened to the boat load (pun intended for Ross students) of advice from numerous sources and not matriculate at a Caribbean school for this exact reason.

Reactions: 2 users
Or maybe they should have listened to the boat load (pun intended for Ross students) of advice from numerous sources and not matriculate at a Caribbean school for this exact reason.

See, that's the thing though, many of these students don't know how bad of a decision it was until it's too late and there's still a lot of bad advice being given. I know relatively new attending physicians (USMGs) who are still telling pre-meds that the Carib is a good decision and encourage them to take that route. I've also talked to pre-meds and told them it was bad advice, but their thought process is "Who should I believe, a med student or an actual physician?", which is tough to argue with when they believe those attendings know what they're talking about.

Reactions: 10 users
See, that's the thing though, many of these students don't know how bad of a decision it was until it's too late and there's still a lot of bad advice being given. I know relatively new attending physicians (USMGs) who are still telling pre-meds that the Carib is a good decision and encourage them to take that route. I've also talked to pre-meds and told them it was bad advice, but their thought process is "Who should I believe, a med student or an actual physician?", which is tough to argue with when they believe those attendings know what they're talking about.

I have encountered this too. Complicated by the attending's son currently going to a big 4 carib school

This. One of my very favorite attendings is a Ross grad. I don’t know if he’s encouraging them to look at the Caribbean or not— I know he does encourage DO as well as US MD. I do know that he had a very good experience and landed a great IM residency/fellowship coming out of Ross, but that was 15-20 years ago. I never considered Caribbean, but had I been a premed in undergrad, 21-year-old me would have trusted an attending I shadowed more than strangers from the internet, to my detriment.

I have encountered this too. Complicated by the attending's son currently going to a big 4 carib school

Yea, I encountered this to. An EM attending I worked with was a USMD and was so proud her daughter was going to a Carib school to be an MD despite how much one of her EM attending co-workers who was a Ross graduate warned her it was a bad idea. Fortunately for the daughter, mom was paying for med school, so if things didn't work out her life wouldn't be ruined. There are too many people who aren't so lucky though, and I wish pre-med advisers and community attendings would better educate themselves before giving career impacting advice.

Last edited:

Yeah - But just think of the self-butt-kicking possibilities if he matched FM and now sees 11 ENT spots in the SOAP... Gotta say though, I also suspect this poster is not legit. If he is, my sincerest condolences.

He'll be back. He probably did match. But this time he won't be complaining about residency, but more about how all the "hot" nurses don't noticed him and how he worked so hard in life for them to brush it all away because who notices a guy who had a Step 1 of 222?! Like, he was so excited when that 15/10 hot nurse paged him at 1 am, thinking it's to smash, only to find out she wants a refill on Senna.

Reactions: 8 users
This. One of my very favorite attendings is a Ross grad. I don’t know if he’s encouraging them to look at the Caribbean or not— I know he does encourage DO as well as US MD. I do know that he had a very good experience and landed a great IM residency/fellowship coming out of Ross, but that was 15-20 years ago. I never considered Caribbean, but had I been a premed in undergrad, 21-year-old me would have trusted an attending I shadowed more than strangers from the internet, to my detriment.
20 years ago I would have said go Caribbean over DO if it's SGU/Ross/AUC. These days though, it is a fool's bargain.

20 years ago I would have said go Caribbean over DO if it's SGU/Ross/AUC. These days though, it is a fool's bargain.
Come to think of it, I wouldn't... One DO attending I worked with failed COMLEX 1 once and the CE section twice and she told me she was still able to find an AOA approved internship spot off cycle... and that was in 2006.

The system is too forgiven to US students....

Come to think of it, I wouldn't... One DO attending I worked with failed COMLEX 1 once and the CE section twice and she told me she was still able to find an AOA approved internship spot off cycle... and that was in 2006.

The system is too forgiven to US students....
I don't bank on failure though. A student with an average USMLE coming out of SGU had some pretty nice options back in the day.

I don't bank on failure though. A student with an average USMLE coming out of SGU had some pretty nice options back in the day.
No one thinks they can fail (classes/step) when they start med school, but it happens though... My risk averse self would make me choose DO in a heart beat over any Carib school... even 20 years ago.

No one thinks they can fail (classes/step) when they start med school, but it happens though... My risk averse self would make me choose DO in a heart beat over any Carib school... even 20 years ago.
If someone is so risk averse as to believe they would fail their boards outright, they probably shouldn't go to medical school.

If someone is so risk averse as to believe they would fail their boards outright, they probably shouldn't go to medical school.

I think he meant since failures happen, why would you go to the school with little to no resources and a business model of kicking students out who are underperforming?

I think he meant since failures happen, why would you go to the school with little to no resources and a business model of kicking students out who are underperforming?
They also used to accept a higher caliber of student and had smaller class sizes. Failure was less likely than today. Now though, even students that do well can end up in bad spots, it just isn't worth it.

They also used to accept a higher caliber of student and had smaller class sizes. Failure was less likely than today. Now though, even students that do well can end up in bad spots, it just isn't worth it.

As a side note on Carib schools, I just saw one of the ads on SDN for a Carib school and one of our school's old deans was in the ad. Was literally scrolling through and did a double take, weird.

TBPH, I am someone who don't care about the MD vs. DO BS anyway to the point that I almost gave up my MD acceptance to go to WVSOM because it was a better fit for me. The only thing that held me back was 50k vs. 35k tuition. If tuitions were the same, I would have been a DO now and I would be perfectly ecstatic being a DO--a physician.

I remember they asked me in my DO interview why I want to be a DO... My answer was: 'I want to be a physician; DO/MD will serve me the same purpose for what I want to do with my career'. I did did not use the OMM rant that most DO applicants use.

Last edited:
A great necrobump somehow devolves into another MD vs DO vs Carib debate....

Reactions: 8 users
Every time I see this thread updated I hope he posts. Troll or great life experience of overcoming, complete failure, any way you slice it the ending will be epic! And yet none of us have the answer yet. Come on man, spill the beans!

Reactions: 4 users
TBPH, I am someone who don't care about the MD vs. DO BS anyway to the point that I almost gave up my MD acceptance to go to WVSOM because it was a better fit for me. The only thing that held me back was 50k vs. 35k tuition. If tuitions were the same, I would have been a DO now and I would be perfectly ecstatic being a DO--a physician.

I remember they asked me in my DO interview why I want to be a DO... My answer was: 'I want to be a physician; DO/MD will serve me the same purpose for what I want to do with my career'. I did did not use the OMM rant that most DO applicants use.

You for realz? I am glad you chose your MD school. My DO friends have to work so hard to match. It is mentally exhausting for them. I don't envy them one bit.

Every time I see this thread updated I hope he posts. Troll or great life experience of overcoming, complete failure, any way you slice it the ending will be epic! And yet none of us have the answer yet. Come on man, spill the beans!

Dude I know. It would be an epic troll.

Things I'm hotly anticipating in descending order: finishing medschool, @failedatlife 's response, that paternity test.