Western 2013 - Who's Applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all. I got done with my interview today. I am so glad it is over. I was glad that my two interviewers where so friendly and personable.

It was good to see DollyyLlama and JKIM02 there. Hope it went well for you guys too.

it was nice to meet you guys too! i love making the SDN connection. it's hard to say how the interview went, since the profs are fairly poker-faced, but i think i had a few good stories and a few that stalled out a bit. i mentioned at the end that i felt like i'd been dwelling on the negative during the interview, and they said that's normal given the questions.

Good luck with your interviews!

as a side note...on tuesday, did anyone else see that tall asian guy with spikey hair in the pinstripe suit? *drools*

haha! yeah, he's nice.
 
it's hard to say how the interview went, since the profs are fairly poker-faced, but i think i had a few good stories and a few that stalled out a bit. i mentioned at the end that i felt like i'd been dwelling on the negative during the interview, and they said that's normal given the questions. quote]


Haha...you will all find that the facilitators are very good at their poker faces...especially during PBL sessions. (notice I said all of you...because I am sure you all did great) It is very hard to read if you are right or wrong on comments your are making...we all laugh at them because we think they practice it at night!:laugh: As for the really tall Asian....we saw him too. We were in the anatomy lab during your tours. He brought a lot of talk after you all left the room....nothing bad though, just a little match making plans...haha :laugh: (vet students don't have much of a life, which you will all find out). I have my fingers crossed for you all.:xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"As for the really tall Asian....we saw him too. We were in the anatomy lab during your tours. He brought a lot of talk after you all left the room....nothing bad though, just a little match making plans...haha :laugh:"

HAHHAHA
i think y'all might have to wait in a line? rumor has it that he's also an exotic dancer?


HaHaha....thats great! :laugh: 😛
 
"As for the really tall Asian....we saw him too. We were in the anatomy lab during your tours. He brought a lot of talk after you all left the room....nothing bad though, just a little match making plans...haha :laugh:"

That anatomy class looked really fun and interesting!

Yea, I did notice on the right side of the room a lot of the students were staring at him. Was that why? haha that's pretty funny! I wonder if he knew...
 
Haha... yeah but we are also interested in who is going to make the cut... after all we have to mentor the new kids 😀.... and anatomy lab gets a little boring every now and then. (It was towards the end of lab)
 
Thanks for the :luck:, guppy! My interview was yesterday morning--luckily (or maybe not??) mine was the first group to interview. I must have missed this mystery "tall, Asian guy." --Which, apparently, is unfortunate!
My interviewers were much more personable than last year's.

I met 2 gals there who were in their 3rd year of Western interviewing, both of whom were also non-trad 🙂scared:!!). One of the two current students on the question/answer panel struck me as VERY young...as in straight from the sorority. I asked her how many years it took her to get in and she said that she got in on her first try. Most of the other student reps there also seemed relatively young, with a few older exceptions, but taken all together, it's a little scary for a dino like me! 😳
 
Thanks for the :luck:, guppy! My interview was yesterday morning--luckily (or maybe not??) mine was the first group to interview. I must have missed this mystery "tall, Asian guy." --Which, apparently, is unfortunate!
My interviewers were much more personable than last year's.

I met 2 gals there who were in their 3rd year of Western interviewing, both of whom were also non-trad 🙂scared:!!). One of the two current students on the question/answer panel struck me as VERY young...as in straight from the sorority. I asked her how many years it took her to get in and she said that she got in on her first try. Most of the other student reps there also seemed relatively young, with a few older exceptions, but taken all together, it's a little scary for a dino like me! 😳


Haha....don't worry about it. Our class (2012) has ages ranging from 19-37 or so..... well our 19 year old had a birthday...She is growning up! A lot of the older students don't help out with extra activities due to getting home to families and other obligations....
 
Aw, thanks for the reassurance, mdnghtdc! But I'm guessing the older students took longer to get in (unless they were a boy! 😉).
 
"Haha... yeah but we are also interested in who is going to make the cut... after all we have to mentor the new kids 😀.... and anatomy lab gets a little boring every now and then. (It was towards the end of lab)"

hahaha! "mentor" the new kids? I would definitely volunteer to do a little one on one studying if you know what I mean! Especially a hands-on anatomy or physiology course 🙂 Maybe he'll give me some free lap dances?

I just noticed the postings about the surrounding areas around the campus. Honestly, since I grew up in an urban setting (much more ghetto than Pomona) I didn't feel unsafe at all, even at night driving and walking around. I actually stayed just a few blocks from campus. The only incidents I noticed were a drug dealer on the corner outside the hotel and a hooker arguing that woke me up in the middle of the night. But in large urban cities, that's just every day life! I didn't even hear police sirens at night, none of the houses/businesses have barred windows and gates, and on the plus side, there weren't any homeless around!

I know a tall asia guy that interviewed at Western. Wonder if he's the legendary "tall asia guy". I have no idea when my friend interviewed though.....😕
 
I interviewed on Tuesday 1/27 and I was in group 3 with him. During the slide show presentations, he was pointing at some of the students on the slides and stated, "I know all the asian people on here". I guess he has some friends at this school. He also expressed interest in the dual degree program that Western has with Minnesota. That's all I know.🙂
 
The tall asian guy went from "mysterious" to "legendary"...and he doesn't even go to Western yet! Did anyone get a chance to chat or talk to him?

I'm really shy by nature...

yes.. i found out the following information. my interest was purely friendly, though.
-his full name (i read the nametag)
-where he went to high school
-what neighborhood he lives in
-his research experience
-what he listened to on the drive down to LA
-where he ate after the interview.. ok, i'll give you this one- it was subway. saw him there.

soo... i'm pretty much an expert.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Agreed--and I didn't even apply to Western. But somehow, I can't seem to pull myself away from all the drama....😛
 
Good lord, I can only hope that I generate this kind of response at my interview at Western. I feel the pressure to look good now.
 
"Anyone have a picture of the guy? Lol."

In fact, I originally though he was there to support one of the asian females in his group, but in fact he might have just been pimping?!!!
 
Last edited:
Sorry to change the topic and all but...

Have any of you been successful at emailing your respective admissions person at Western? I've been trying and trying but getting no response, which is understandable because it's been busy for them with interviews, but just not the typical fast replies I've been used to.
 
Hi Pomona2006,
I haven't emailed my counselor in awhile but if you haven't had success w/ that route, have you tried calling? Also, try contacting Karen Lopez directly or any other counselor for that matter b/c they might be able to get a hold of your admissions counselor.
 
I haven't called because it's not a HUGELY pressing issue - just want someone to tell me that my transcripts from the fall arrived safely because BanWeb hasn't updated their status as having been received or anything.

I figure if I don't hear back in the next 24-48 hours I will call or email Karen to see if that will help. I just wanted to know if people have been getting the same treatment I have or whether there might be some other issue.
 
Sorry to change the topic and all but...

Have any of you been successful at emailing your respective admissions person at Western? I've been trying and trying but getting no response, which is understandable because it's been busy for them with interviews, but just not the typical fast replies I've been used to.

I tried mine a while back, but didn't hear back...😕
 
I emailed my admissions person yesterday because of banweb not being updated. I got a response today, so a pretty quick turn around. My counselor is Jeanene if that helps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I emailed my admissions person yesterday because of banweb not being updated. I got a response today, so a pretty quick turn around. My counselor is Jeanene if that helps.

Tried again...still no response. My counselor isn't Jeanene, though.
 
😀 awesome!....btw, march 15th - more like march 17th if they're mailed out on the 14th! - seems like such a looooong wait!
 
I called them yesterday to see if they got my transcripts and I got some random person. They said they would call me back by 2pm their time (5pm my time) and I never got a call. I'll have to call them back tomorrow. Did anyone get an answer that they did get their transcripts? The other schools I sent them to received them, so I wouldn't see why they shouldn't have them too.
 
Hey TurtleLover -

After a long and arduous process of trying to figure out whether my transcripts arrived (I sent 2 from 2 different schools), they told me they received one but didn't receive another. Of course I had the tracking information and gave them the number and told them when it was delivered according to USPS. The reply I received after that was "we'll let you know when we find it" - - - hmmm...maybe the whole interview process has made them a little disorganized (not that I blame them, I am not sure how well any 3-4 people could handle close to 1,000 applications with so much paperwork!).

If I were you, I would call / email your admissions person and/or Karen to see if they received the transcripts. Clearly a delivery confirmation does not mean they actually have them in your file.
 
Ditto on march 15th being so far away. I really hope they get approved to send emails about the decision because I live in Illinois and it will take so much longer for me to get mail! It seems forever away, but hopefully it will be worth it
 
Ditto on march 15th being so far away. I really hope they get approved to send emails about the decision because I live in Illinois and it will take so much longer for me to get mail! It seems forever away, but hopefully it will be worth it


Nope they will not send out and e-mail. Being that the acceptance letters are official they won't send it via e-mail. I believe it is the permenant address listed but I good be wrong on that. They are percise on their date as well. Don't expect to hear anything before March 15.

As far as admin counselors.... they all have been out of the office the past couple of weeks, because of helping with the interview process (meaning taking you guys from one place to the next..etc.) The students and faculty are also becoming very busy due to midterms in a couple of weeks. It gets really stressful for everyone involved in the process.
 
Hey TurtleLover -

After a long and arduous process of trying to figure out whether my transcripts arrived (I sent 2 from 2 different schools), they told me they received one but didn't receive another. Of course I had the tracking information and gave them the number and told them when it was delivered according to USPS. The reply I received after that was "we'll let you know when we find it" - - - hmmm...maybe the whole interview process has made them a little disorganized (not that I blame them, I am not sure how well any 3-4 people could handle close to 1,000 applications with so much paperwork!).

If I were you, I would call / email your admissions person and/or Karen to see if they received the transcripts. Clearly a delivery confirmation does not mean they actually have them in your file.


Phew! I called them back today and they do have my fall 08 transcripts! 🙂 Thank goodness!!
 
Yay! That's good news! I just hope they start updating BanWeb now that interviews are over and done with!
 
Nope they will not send out and e-mail. Being that the acceptance letters are official they won't send it via e-mail. I believe it is the permenant address listed but I good be wrong on that. They are percise on their date as well. Don't expect to hear anything before March 15.

As far as admin counselors.... they all have been out of the office the past couple of weeks, because of helping with the interview process (meaning taking you guys from one place to the next..etc.) The students and faculty are also becoming very busy due to midterms in a couple of weeks. It gets really stressful for everyone involved in the process.

Yea I just mentioned that because on our interview day Karen said they were trying to get approval to also do emails so that people would know asap.
 
I am sure I am pulling at strings here but did everyone get an email about their FAFSA after their interview?
 
I also got a FAFSA email - I figured it was a general email and didn't mean much 🙂
 
I def would assume it was standard but you never know. When I was waiting on ohio it turned out that they didn't tell you your status online, just that a decision was made, but we figured but before we got our letters because the people who got in had something asking for payment and those who didn't get in just said a decision had been made. So, never know! Just wondering if anyone didn't get it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am sure I am pulling at strings here but did everyone get an email about their FAFSA after their interview?


hmm.. i didn't.. i nterviewd on 1/27 and haven't gotten anything from them since then. anything i should know about?
 
The FASFA is a standard e-mail that everyone should have recieved. There is still one more day of interviews to go and the Dean does not start picking the class until everyone has had their interview shot. They send the FASFA letter out so you will have it incase you get accepted to any vet school. You should list all schools that you applied on it that you still have a shot of getting in to. I believe the FASFA is due March 1st....at least that is what my last e-mail said. (even the current students get the FASFA reminder)
 
So I have a question for all of you...

If you got into Western and one other school do you think you'd pick Western? I know ratings don't really mean anything, but I feel like a lot of people pick Western as a "safety." I was personally very impressed with the curriculum and the professors...it seemed like a very effective program. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of large animal facilities.

What do you all think?