Western c/o 2015 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you pay the deposit to hold your seat, is it possible to defer a year? I can't seem to find the answer to this one the website...

Members don't see this ad.

I asked this a while back and Lacey told me they only defer for medical emergency, pregnancy, or extreme family situation. You cannot defer for financial reasons or personal reasons. Also, they accept deferments on a case by case basis so there is no guarantee of deferment for anyone.

ok, well I fill the pregnancy requirement ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! Like I said...its case by case but at Western you do have to have rabies for first year and I don't think you can get that while pregnant.

You should PM Schurvy (hope i spelled that correct) Look through this thread and you should find her. She's really sweet and helpful and she had a similar situation so I would ask her how she handled it.

Congratulations! Like I said...its case by case but at Western you do have to have rabies for first year and I don't think you can get that while pregnant.

You should PM Schurvy (hope i spelled that correct) Look through this thread and you should find her. She's really sweet and helpful and she had a similar situation so I would ask her how she handled it.

I think it's Scrchvy...Schurvy sounds like she has a vitamin c deficiency (scurvy) LOL:laugh:

Still no email. :( My hope has faded away for getting into the class of 2015. I am fearing that I have been one of the rejections.

Still no email. :( My hope has faded away for getting into the class of 2015. I am fearing that I have been one of the rejections.
I am so sorry to hear this as it has beena fear of all of us, but stay hopeful and try to be motivated about the next cycle expand your horizions by applying to more programs. I know it seems like we cant empathize with you but we can and I will pray for better days ahead for you. If you would like for me to share any of my info with you including stats and personal statement I am very willing !:)

I am so sorry to hear this as it has beena fear of all of us, but stay hopeful and try to be motivated about the next cycle expand your horizions by applying to more programs. I know it seems like we cant empathize with you but we can and I will pray for better days ahead for you. If you would like for me to share any of my info with you including stats and personal statement I am very willing !:)

I just talked to Lacey and if you didn't get an email at all, then you are rejected.

Thanks tuwest! I do appreciate the help. I did apply to 6 different programs, rejected from all. This is my third time applying, and although I do not have the best of grades, I did ok. I am so frustrated with the whole system. It seems as if the system does not favor non-trads. I am however keeping my head up. I know its not the end of the world. Learned that a long time ago.

I know I wasn't ready the first two times I applied, but I went back to school to get a masters. I'm finishing that as we speak. I also found out after my first semester of grad-school, that I have a learning disability. Now that I have fixed that, my grades are outstanding. I think it was just too late. I cannot financially afford to continue with grad school strictly in hopes of getting into vet-school. Going to pursue other avenues for now.

I may try again next year, but only time will tell. At first, I was very skeptical of Westerns program, but after my interview, I fell in love with Western. PBL really fits with my learning disability.

I am sorry for the rant everyone, but thanks for listening (reading). :)

I just talked to Lacey and if you didn't get an email at all, then you are rejected.

Thanks tuwest! I do appreciate the help. I did apply to 6 different programs, rejected from all. This is my third time applying, and although I do not have the best of grades, I did ok. I am so frustrated with the whole system. It seems as if the system does not favor non-trads. I am however keeping my head up. I know its not the end of the world. Learned that a long time ago.

I know I wasn't ready the first two times I applied, but I went back to school to get a masters. I'm finishing that as we speak. I also found out after my first semester of grad-school, that I have a learning disability. Now that I have fixed that, my grades are outstanding. I think it was just too late. I cannot financially afford to continue with grad school strictly in hopes of getting into vet-school. Going to pursue other avenues for now.

I may try again next year, but only time will tell. At first, I was very skeptical of Westerns program, but after my interview, I fell in love with Western. PBL really fits with my learning disability.

I hear ya and please dont give up me and you need to talk off this forum so send me a message so we can do that I have some inside info for you ok for next academic cycle ;);)

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about this?
That would be very helpful!

they don't "give" you 2000 for a computer....basically you can take out loan on to of the 42k tuition that would cover the cost of attendance....the total available loans you can take out (federally) is 65k off which 1900 (i think thats the amount) is allotted for a computer purchase. So you would ultimately be paying for the computer and they would be giving you the loan for it.

I think it's Scrchvy...Schurvy sounds like she has a vitamin c deficiency (scurvy) LOL:laugh:

Bah! I told you it might be spelled wrong. Last night was a whirlwind and I was too lazy to go back and look it up. Plus Schurvy is waaaaaaay funnier

Members don't see this ad :)

I know I wasn't ready the first two times I applied, but I went back to

I'm a nontrad so feel free to PM me with any questions. Do you have a lot of animal experience? What state are you in? (you can PM me that if you don't want to post) I definitely think you should consider trying again. Was Western your only interview? getting an interview means your grades WERE good enough so maybe there are other things you can do to bump up your stats???

Well, I guess that's a denial for me, and the Dean of Western made my decision for me haha. I'll be going to RVC next year, and I'll miss all of you guys on SDN and everyone I met at Western, and my wanted freshmen class :( Good luck everyone next year at Western, you're gonna rock that stuff!

I asked this a while back and Lacey told me they only defer for medical emergency, pregnancy, or extreme family situation. You cannot defer for financial reasons or personal reasons. Also, they accept deferments on a case by case basis so there is no guarantee of deferment for anyone.

I was thinking about deferring my admission for a year...My parents live overseas and my mom had a stroke just during x-mas and she recently had angioplasty done and is still doing therapy. Although I was there during winter break, it was real hard for me to come back. She insisted on me not taking a semester off because it might delay graduation hence delaying vet school :(

I don't know though. It would be nice if I can be by her side. But I know she is definitely not gonna let me defer probably.

Thanks everyone for being so supportive! I really appreciate that!:)

Hi all, i am very new to this and im looking for some imput. I have been accepted into ross and just got an acceptance to Western as well. I am having trouble deciding which school is a better choice. I am very excited about the pbl's but also nervous because it is a new teaching style. i like ross, but it is very far away from home (arizona). if any current students could give me some input on the transition from undergrad to the pbl train of thought and learning that would be great.

Hi all, i am very new to this and im looking for some imput. I have been accepted into ross and just got an acceptance to Western as well. I am having trouble deciding which school is a better choice. I am very excited about the pbl's but also nervous because it is a new teaching style. i like ross, but it is very far away from home (arizona). if any current students could give me some input on the transition from undergrad to the pbl train of thought and learning that would be great.

I too was accepted to Ross May term and found out i got accepted to Western. I will be choosing western. The PBL does scare me bc it new but i believe it is a great way to get us to critically think and face the real world of vet med. Plus it is in the states. I will be emailling ross a thank you letter for giving me a chance to be part of their may term but wont be able to make it.

I would pick the US school. While there may not be a ton of stigma out there anymore, it may still exist and you want to give yourself the best opportunities possible.

I think be honest with yourself. Are you just afraid to try PBL cause its different or will you have a hard time with the self-directed learning. I think the professors really stress that PBL is hard and frustrating so you are aware that its different but not necessarily easier than lecture. Lecture will give you the answers and in PBL you have to find them. AND they made it very clear that if you say "I'm stuck whats the answer?" without providing them proof that you did your research, they won't just tell you the answer.

How did you feel during the mock PBL? Do you feel like you could go home everyday and spend hours and hours figuring out the answers to all the possible questions? Or would you learn better having someone tell you how things work? I say do whatever will make you the best doctor that you can be. For me personally, I picked Western because I feel like its a program I would want to be in for 4 years. It's going to be hard work no matter what school you go to so you want to feel like you can reach your full potential and get the most out of whatever program you choose.

Good luck!

I must post a correction to what I posted earlier. When I talked to Lacey she did tell me that those rejected receive a letter in the mail, not an email. I just assumed that since I didn't get an email, I didn't get in. It is possible (a very slim possibility) that I didn't get added to the accepted email list by accident. I am not counting on that, but anything is possible. :)

how would you resign your seat to a school. Should I call and just tell them I will not be able to attend the class or just send them an email about it?

Looking like I was rejected also...

Unless for some reason my e-mail got lost in cyber space, but I doubt it.

On to crossing my fingers for getting off the waitlist at Mississippi. :xf:

CONGRATS to all the acceptances!!! I am very happy for my fellow SDNers!! :claps: :highfive:

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to SDN. I was waitlisted at Western, Iowa, Mississippi, and Michigan. Accepted to RVC and Dublin.

I'm hoping to stay in the states b/c its easier for my husband to get a job.

Does anyone know how likely it is to get in off waitlist at Western since they overaccept by about 60 people?

Someone said last year they only took 1, I think it's a lot lower than other schools who may go deep(er) into the waitlist, such as your other 3 wait-listed schools.

Has anyone tried to log-in with the info western gave us in the email?
Mine doesnt seem to be working :(

Has anyone tried to log-in with the info western gave us in the email?
Mine doesnt seem to be working :(

I was able to log in. Don't put @westernu.edu at the end of your username, and make sure all the cases are correct when putting in that slightly complicated password. Hope this helps.

Thank you, but I'm getting having no luck :(
Did you set it as private or shared computer? Or does that matter?

Anyhow, Im just so exciteeeddd to be part of C/O 2015 :D

Someone said last year they only took 1, I think it's a lot lower than other schools who may go deep(er) into the waitlist, such as your other 3 wait-listed schools.
lol have no fearthe alternate list will move my friend choose purdue ova western when she got accepted so it will move just give people time to make up there descions as you can be accepted to western up the 1st week of class at western n this is true of other veterinary programs :cool:

The thing is, Western accepts something like 130 students for their 105 spots. So 25 people need to decline before the list will move any, or something along those lines.

I have seen the list move in the last 3 years, but not ever by much. 3-5 people is the usual, but that's only on SDN so it's hard to tell what's really going on.

When you log in it takes you to a page that looks really similar and asks you to enter a password. You choose your password on that page and that will be the one you use from then on. I didn't see instructions for choosing a password so you might have to try a couple times to pick a password that fillfills the requirements

When you log in it takes you to a page that looks really similar and asks you to enter a password. You choose your password on that page and that will be the one you use from then on. I didn't see instructions for choosing a password so you might have to try a couple times to pick a password that fillfills the requirements

Thanks! I've got it! Although the inbox is empty for now. haha

The thing is, Western accepts something like 130 students for their 105 spots. So 25 people need to decline before the list will move any, or something along those lines.

I have seen the list move in the last 3 years, but not ever by much. 3-5 people is the usual, but that's only on SDN so it's hard to tell what's really going on.

I was told they actually accepted 160 this year. So 55 will have to turn it down for them to get calling into the wait-list. No idea when that will happen though, like if people turn it down before or after April 15th (after due to maybe a wait-list call from a cheaper school and withdrawing).

Hello everyone,
this is actually my first time posting. I have been accepted to western U and I am not frantically trying to figure out my housing situation. Anybody interested in a roommate?? It would be nice to live with another first year vet student so that we can relate to each other, study together, and basically pull each other through the entire process! Let me know!

Hello everyone,
this is actually my first time posting. I have been accepted to western U and I am not frantically trying to figure out my housing situation. Anybody interested in a roommate?? It would be nice to live with another first year vet student so that we can relate to each other, study together, and basically pull each other through the entire process! Let me know!
yea ur rite im looking for a roomie also so um can consider me if u want u can send me a message

Got my rejection letter today 3/14. Ouch that really hurts as I didn't even make the alternate list. Thinking I might apply one more time. Going to start working on getting everything in order now for applications. Congrats to all that got accepted.

Just wondering, those of you who have been accepted, are u still waiting to hear from other schools or been waitlisted in other schools? If u do get into ur waitlisted school what would you???

Just wondering, those of you who have been accepted, are u still waiting to hear from other schools or been waitlisted in other schools? If u do get into ur waitlisted school what would you???

i am waitlisted at purdue and i honestly dont know what i would do, if i get in right after april 15th then ill really take time to consider my options since there are pros and cons to both schools, but if they dont get back to by may then western it is! i know i will be happy at either or, just dont know what i want

I got waitlisted :( Darn I truly fell in love with Western's teaching style. I'm basically viewing it as a rejection given the numbers I've seen, does anyone have any reason to think Western will need more people from the waitlist than in previous years? I almost wish they would have ranked the people on the waitlist so I would have a better idea.

i am waitlisted at purdue and i honestly dont know what i would do, if i get in right after april 15th then ill really take time to consider my options since there are pros and cons to both schools, but if they dont get back to by may then western it is! i know i will be happy at either or, just dont know what i want

I am also waitlisted at purdue but fell in love in both schools. I am going to make a list of the pros and cons for both school and see what happens comes april. Do u know how long purdue will give u to make decision? Cuz this decision is going to really hard :/

I am also waitlisted at purdue but fell in love in both schools. I am going to make a list of the pros and cons for both school and see what happens comes april. Do u know how long purdue will give u to make decision? Cuz this decision is going to really hard :/

i think they give you like a week or something (i could totally be wrong) but i would be curious to compare pros and cons list, i think the way im going to do it is pick a category for example how i liked the curriculum and say its worth 15% of my checklist and give purdue or western a 1 or 2 depending which one i liked more then multiply 1 or 2 by 15% then after all my categories and ranks and add them all up and whatever is the lowest score is my objectively better decision. i like spread sheets and numbers =)

but who knows if that would work i am more of the go with your gut kind of guy

If I get into my IS I will be declining my acceptance, supposed to hear next week (Mizzou). Simply, because of the price difference!

i think they give you like a week or something (i could totally be wrong) but i would be curious to compare pros and cons list, i think the way im going to do it is pick a category for example how i liked the curriculum and say its worth 15% of my checklist and give purdue or western a 1 or 2 depending which one i liked more then multiply 1 or 2 by 15% then after all my categories and ranks and add them all up and whatever is the lowest score is my objectively better decision. i like spread sheets and numbers =)

but who knows if that would work i am more of the go with your gut kind of guy

yeah for sure we can compare pros and cons list. I'm making a table with a bunch of categories and scoring them with score from 1 - 10. The one with highest amount will be the choice. But like u said, I too go with gut feeling and I can already feel where it is leaning too :/

I am still waiting to hear from my IS but I will be going to Western regardless!!

For those of you that might be declining.... if you do decide that you won't be attending Western, if you joined the fb group for the c/o 2015, would you mind deleting yourself from the fb group after you decide. Good luck wherever you decide to attend!!!

I am still waiting to hear from my IS but I will be going to Western regardless!!

For those of you that might be declining.... if you do decide that you won't be attending Western, if you joined the fb group for the c/o 2015, would you mind deleting yourself from the fb group after you decide. Good luck wherever you decide to attend!!!
LOL too too funny lol I mean its only fair rite lolol man that gave me a good lol for the day

Savethewhales, you're going to make people want to remove themselves from the Western Fb group whether they are attending Western or not. Haha this is too funny! :laugh:

Oh god. Wait....what? no!...I totally didn't mean that in a bad way at all!!! Our group just has a mixture of first years and new admits so to also have people that declined seemed like it would be confusing. Especially for those people trying to figure out roomate situations. I guess I was just Thinking what if someone thought they had a roomie and then when it came time to rent a place, your roomie declined the school and forgot to say anything because they were excited about their other school acceptance. ...something like that. Lol....apparently that is not how it came across...if u are attending then please come join us because the first years are awesome and so helpful. Ok. I should probably stop talking now Hahahaha. Truly I was only thinking about simplifying things. I'm already confused as to who is a first year and who is in our class haha

Tuwest....ur supposed to have my back lol u know I'm part of the welcoming crew lol

Last edited: