Western c/o 2015 Applicants

Started by Lambgirl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Marc, quick question, are the interviewers admissions, vet teachers, PhD teachers? When I had my interview at RVC I knew exactly who was interviewing me, and I could do a little stalking (hehe) so that I asked the right questions back. It's a bummer to me that we don't know who's interviewing, but I guess that could be good for them, see how we react and that. Thanks!
 
Marc, quick question, are the interviewers admissions, vet teachers, PhD teachers? When I had my interview at RVC I knew exactly who was interviewing me, and I could do a little stalking (hehe) so that I asked the right questions back. It's a bummer to me that we don't know who's interviewing, but I guess that could be good for them, see how we react and that. Thanks!
The interviewers are all faculty of the veterinary college (DVMs and some are PhDs) and also there have been alumni that have been invited to interview candidates. I think its cool to have an alumni interview you b/c they were in your seat not too long ago and they would know better than anyone (in my opinion) what kind of person will do well with PBL.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone. I am fairly new to SDN and I hate for my first post to be asking for help but I don't know what to do. I received a voicemail Friday afternoon regarding an interview on the 22nd. I was told to call back by 4:00pm but since I was at work, I didn't get the message until after 6 and was unable to talk to anyone and now the school seems to be closed for the holiday weekend. The message gave no details so I am unclear on what I should do. I live in Sac so my plan is to just drive down there Monday and show up Tuesday AM. I feel awkward just showing up when I did not actually talk to anyone, don't really don't know any details, was not told a time, etc. but I don't really know any other option. Is this a bad idea? I really appreciate any advice! Thanks all. 🙂
 
You are in the same boat as Cautionary Tail, except you get to drive instead of fly. If you want to interview, go! When I had my interview we had to be there by 8:15 a.m. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Don't feel awkward.
 
I still haven't gotten a call or email. Does anyone know if the 22nd is the last interview date or are they adding more?
 
Hey everyone. I am fairly new to SDN and I hate for my first post to be asking for help but I don't know what to do. I received a voicemail Friday afternoon regarding an interview on the 22nd. I was told to call back by 4:00pm but since I was at work, I didn't get the message until after 6 and was unable to talk to anyone and now the school seems to be closed for the holiday weekend. The message gave no details so I am unclear on what I should do. I live in Sac so my plan is to just drive down there Monday and show up Tuesday AM. I feel awkward just showing up when I did not actually talk to anyone, don't really don't know any details, was not told a time, etc. but I don't really know any other option. Is this a bad idea? I really appreciate any advice! Thanks all. 🙂

I sent you a private message. I was able to help out @CautionaryTail earlier, I'll try to do the same for you.
 
Perhaps it would have been an easier decision if the message said " Please call back by 4 and if you can't then just leave a message stating that you intend to be there Tuesday"

editing my other post because it looks as if marcwood is going to save the day. You seriously rule!
 
Hey - thanks for the quick responses. And a big thank you @marcwood for helping me out! You get 👍👍 in my book! As if this whole process was not stressful enough! 😛
 
Hey - thanks for the quick responses. And a big thank you @marcwood for helping me out! You get 👍👍 in my book! As if this whole process was not stressful enough! 😛

Amen... marcwood= sheer, unadulterated awesomeness. 😀

Congrats to everyone interviewing this Tuesday, and a big ":xf:" to those still waiting to hear something. Hopefully there's another date in the works... I don't think 2/22 was formally announced until after the last "final date" had passed.
 
Definitely communicate with marcwood - I was hoping a current student would have another point of contact in order to help these folks out. I feel sorry for anyone without the forum as a resource in this situation!

Yeah... obviously there were a number of Friday calls that went out. I assumed we'd be receiving e-mails like everyone else, so I wasn't even thinking about checking my phone.
 
And in other WesternU news, the class of 2011's NAVLE pass rate for first time test takers was 96% 😀 surpassing the national average among first time test takers this year which was 95%....Congratulations class of 2011!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And in other WesternU news, the class of 2011's NAVLE pass rate for first time test takers was 96% 😀 surpassing the national average among first time test takers this year which was 95%....Congratulations class of 2011!
😱 well I know what vet school im choosing lol 😀
 
Haha nice! To everyone interviewing tuesday, I'll be there (hopefully) monday night if anyone wants to have a meet up for dinner and some brews....or so haha. There's a 'severe weather' warning for western NY all night tonight and tomorrow, so I'm seriously hoping I make my flights. Between my first and 2nd is a 1 hour lay-over, so I can't even be late. Heads will roll! I will be there though...no matter who's little butt I need to kick at US Airways! Anyways, those interviewing tuesday, see ya soon!
 
Haha nice! To everyone interviewing tuesday, I'll be there (hopefully) monday night if anyone wants to have a meet up for dinner and some brews....or so haha. There's a 'severe weather' warning for western NY all night tonight and tomorrow, so I'm seriously hoping I make my flights. Between my first and 2nd is a 1 hour lay-over, so I can't even be late. Heads will roll! I will be there though...no matter who's little butt I need to kick at US Airways! Anyways, those interviewing tuesday, see ya soon!

If I hadn't been nervous about this storm, I think you and I might possibly have ended up on the same flight to Ontario... is Philadelphia involved somewhere along the line?

Best of luck to everyone interviewing/PBL-ing on Tuesday! 😀
 
Hey Guys,

So excited for everyone. I left the interview thoroughly impressed with Western and can't wait to get my acceptance notice (I'll get one won't I?????)

Let's try not to chew our nails off this month! And good luck.

:meanie:

Those of you guys with interviews coming ... it's really chill/ laid back BUT it seems like every room (of interviewers) is different ... be prepared for anything from OLD to a little sleepy to very warm.

If your mock interviewer can do a little acting, he can probably help you work up a few different styles.
 
Ok seriously this has been THE CRAZIEST day of my life. My flight from ROC was delayed, so I was LITERALLY running through the Philadelphia Airport (so yes CT haha was in Philly), but I was THE LAST person on my flight to Phoenix, and they shut the door behind me. I was in Philly for a grand total of 8 minutes! Yay! So then because of these headwinds across the country, our flight to Phoenix took 6 hours instead of 5, so AGAIN I was RUNNING to my next flight from PHX to ONT. I get to the gate, say my last name, and some brat from US Airways tells me they just shut the door and no more flights, 2 MINUTES AGO!! Are you kidding me! So I throw a little tantrum, she goes and asks someone, and then they let me in! Seriously 3 minutes later we were taxi-ing to the gate. I was in Phoenix airport for a grand total of 12 minutes. Which was sad because it was SO warm there! So end of the story, made all my flights BARELY and I'm in my hotel room in Pomona. Pomona is pretty nice really, definitely some sketchy parts, and I feel like I'd have to learn spanish if I came here. Which I know none of lol
 
Glad to hear you made it, +/- some really close calls, haha.

Yeah, it's a bit of a hispanic ghetto... which is better than the real ghetto IMO. Lots of used car lots and "keys cut here" places, for whatever reason. Sketchy, yes, but SCARY, not so much. And Claremont is really cool.
 
My husband and I drove around to check out apartments while we were there, and we totally fell in love with Claremont. The neighborhoods are really cute and the downtown area is amazing. So many boutique shops, restaurants, bars, and even a comedy club and movie theater. Very close to school too.
 
I just spoke with someone from admissions on the phone. They said the 22nd was THE last interview date, and although I'm not supposed to be told that I've been rejected via phone, I can assume what the lack of any response up to this point means 🙁

I just wish I could find out why I was rejected sometime before May so that I can start fixing whatever was wrong with my application. That way I can make myself a better applicant for next year (assuming I don't get in anywhere else).

Good luck to those who interviewed/are interviewing today. Maybe I'll see you all in a year or so.
 
Interview #2 status: survived.

(Thanks again, marcwood! 😀)

I was very impressed with Western. Total 180 from Minnesota, but I left feeling very positively about both. My interviewers were wonderful. I blew the first question (tried talking about some research experience and was so nervous I forgot half of what I did and the relevant terminology... FAIL), but I felt like the rest went positively. The director tracked me down and personally apologized for the last minute Friday night calls. She was incredibly nice. And now? It's officially all over but the waiting. 😉

(And regardless of where I end up, I can definitely say the past few days have been an experience I'll never forget... and a fabulous ending to what will hopefully be my first and last experience with the vet school admissions process. :laugh:)
 
I just spoke with someone from admissions on the phone. They said the 22nd was THE last interview date, and although I'm not supposed to be told that I've been rejected via phone, I can assume what the lack of any response up to this point means 🙁

I just wish I could find out why I was rejected sometime before May so that I can start fixing whatever was wrong with my application. That way I can make myself a better applicant for next year (assuming I don't get in anywhere else).

Good luck to those who interviewed/are interviewing today. Maybe I'll see you all in a year or so.

Boo.

I was really hoping they'd have another date to offer... though they probably can't go too late, or the dean would have trouble selecting the class in time. 🙁 I wonder if they even had an opportunity to finish reviewing all the applications.

In the orientation guidebook, they advise contacting them in May to set up an appointment in June or July... but contacting them earlier couldn't hurt. The worst they can do is say no, you know?
 
So some numbers that may interest you guys:
- About 7 hundred something applied this year to Western (can't remember the exact number)
- About 266 were interviewed
- About 160 will be accepted

Good luck everyone!! 🙂
 
Cat- stop cruising SDN and get back to neuro. 😛

I'm guilty too I guess.

I tried my best to muster a smile in anatomy today, a group of interviewees walked into lab while I was looking at one of the prosections and having my silent freak-out about exams next week.
 
So some numbers that may interest you guys:
- About 7 hundred something applied this year to Western (can't remember the exact number)
- About 266 were interviewed
- About 160 will be accepted

Good luck everyone!! 🙂

Really?! They are increasing the class size from 105 to 160???
HORRAYYYYYYYYY
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
160 in total for accepted and waitlisted I believe. :boom:


wow...SDN has more smileys!!!!! how fun.
 
Cattycat... THANK YOU. haha That's wonderful information. Do students volunteer to help with the admission process? I was so impressed with the 2nd years during our Q&A.

20 days and counting!
 
I agree with az, cat thanks for the great news. That means Western will have a 60% acceptance rate! 👍 I am keeping my fingers :xf: that they accept me!
 
That was me coming into your anatomy class! Haha it looked fun, and surprisingly didn't smell strongly of preservative haha. And I think those are some great odds...hoping to hear some good news on March 15th! I had a great time meeting everyone and hanging out with CautionaryTail and Maddog!! <3
 
Interview #2 status: survived.

(Thanks again, marcwood! 😀)

I was very impressed with Western. Total 180 from Minnesota, but I left feeling very positively about both. My interviewers were wonderful. I blew the first question (tried talking about some research experience and was so nervous I forgot half of what I did and the relevant terminology... FAIL), but I felt like the rest went positively. The director tracked me down and personally apologized for the last minute Friday night calls. She was incredibly nice. And now? It's officially all over but the waiting. 😉

(And regardless of where I end up, I can definitely say the past few days have been an experience I'll never forget... and a fabulous ending to what will hopefully be my first and last experience with the vet school admissions process. :laugh:)

Cool. I was wondering how it went for you. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :xf:
 
Just now got an e-mail, application inelligible due to not received transcripts and GRE scores.

After a long phone call, turns out it was mostly a maiden name mix-up (and possibly some ETS malfunction, as I had problems with Davis receiving scores as well). Transcripts were there, but because it was so late, there's basically nothing to be done about it.

I received emails saying my stuff was in, e-mailed three or four weeks ago to check on things, etc. Of course, it's my responsibility so ultimately,my fault. I just should have been more careful, actually called them I suppose.

Lacey was super-nice and helpful over the phone (even though I was choking back tears!), and made it seem like my chances would have been good had all my duckies been in a row. 🙁 She urged me to re-apply next year, but seeing as I'll be finishing my second year here in London by then, it's not going to make any sense. Financially, I can't take 6 years to complete a 4 year program.
It sucks not knowing if I maybe would go for an interview, had this happened a couple weeks earlier. At this point I was expecting a rejection, but not a "well, it might have been, but no".

Sorry if this brings everybody down- I'm really happy for those of you that have got good news! I'm just so absolutely GUTTED. I wish there was something I could do. 🙁 I would definitely hop on a plane tomorrow (a la CautionaryTail 🙂) if I thought it would make a difference. 🙁

Again, sorry everyone. I just don't know what to do. Besides write this post... 🙁
 
I just wish I could find out why I was rejected sometime before May so that I can start fixing whatever was wrong with my application. That way I can make myself a better applicant for next year (assuming I don't get in anywhere else).

Birdo, Sorry about the "no-go" from the West. I know exactly what you mean about needing to know soon about why ... by the time you actually find out what to fix it's almost time to re-apply. (I did this last year so I know whatsup!) (BTW got an interview this time!)

My suggestion: you gotta self-assess the best you can. Western told me to diversify my experiences (get large, exotic and small) ... which is of course different from Davis who wanted focused experience to show my commitment to the field. Western also accepts repeat courses for a higher grade. Hope this helps.
 
That was me coming into your anatomy class! Haha it looked fun, and surprisingly didn't smell strongly of preservative haha. And I think those are some great odds...hoping to hear some good news on March 15th! I had a great time meeting everyone and hanging out with CautionaryTail and Maddog!! <3

Good times. Wish I could've gotten in before midnight and met up with you guys for dinner! (And, you know... slept. :laugh:)

How'd the interview go? I tanked my first question, but overall, it was way more relaxed than I'd anticipated. 👍
 
Just now got an e-mail, application inelligible due to not received transcripts and GRE scores.

After a long phone call, turns out it was mostly a maiden name mix-up (and possibly some ETS malfunction, as I had problems with Davis receiving scores as well). Transcripts were there, but because it was so late, there's basically nothing to be done about it.

I received emails saying my stuff was in, e-mailed three or four weeks ago to check on things, etc. Of course, it's my responsibility so ultimately,my fault. I just should have been more careful, actually called them I suppose.

Lacey was super-nice and helpful over the phone (even though I was choking back tears!), and made it seem like my chances would have been good had all my duckies been in a row. 🙁 She urged me to re-apply next year, but seeing as I'll be finishing my second year here in London by then, it's not going to make any sense. Financially, I can't take 6 years to complete a 4 year program.
It sucks not knowing if I maybe would go for an interview, had this happened a couple weeks earlier. At this point I was expecting a rejection, but not a "well, it might have been, but no".

Sorry if this brings everybody down- I'm really happy for those of you that have got good news! I'm just so absolutely GUTTED. I wish there was something I could do. 🙁 I would definitely hop on a plane tomorrow (a la CautionaryTail 🙂) if I thought it would make a difference. 🙁

Again, sorry everyone. I just don't know what to do. Besides write this post... 🙁

👎 I'm so sorry, that's horrible... you received application complete emails and everything?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As my dad would say, **** happens....and better to be pissed off than pissed on! My fav quote really...LOL. And some would say....it all happens for a reason. Maybe knowing you won't be transferring will allow you to mentally enjoy it more 🙂

CT: I mean, it's hard to tell really, I thought it went really well but we'll see March 15th! One of my interviewers was the woman who discovered West Nile Virus, so that was REALLY cool! I definitely loved the school, but when I was sitting on a bench on campus a homeless woman came up to me and another interviewee and asked for money for food...so that was a little bit of a shocker! Haha. We were hoping you'd come out and walk by us, but you must've been busy for longer than we thought! Until then...."the ides of March" runs through my head 😛 haha
 
CT: I mean, it's hard to tell really, I thought it went really well but we'll see March 15th! One of my interviewers was the woman who discovered West Nile Virus, so that was REALLY cool! I definitely loved the school, but when I was sitting on a bench on campus a homeless woman came up to me and another interviewee and asked for money for food...so that was a little bit of a shocker! Haha. We were hoping you'd come out and walk by us, but you must've been busy for longer than we thought! Until then...."the ides of March" runs through my head 😛 haha

That is awesome!

My interview ran really late... they banged on the door three or four times before we finished. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. When the interviewers are nice, it's hard to read things. (Were they okay with me, or just being polite, y'know?)

I just got home from class to a bazillion messages from Shady Rental Car Guy regarding my (dead) car (with the defunct engine)... "I can not find your hotel... all I have is their name and number... I need my car... please call me back now!" FML. (Seriously, why don't you call THEM and ask for directions? I've given you their name, number, and address... I don't know the area... what more can I do?) It doesn't end! Blaaaaargh. :laugh: Must go deal with this.
 
Right! Exactly! I had no idea! Lol. Mine went over too 😛 I think it's ok! You poor girl and your dang rental haha. We had to end mine on time only so I could catch the financial aid presentation...then they ended up moving us to lunch time anyways! Oh well haha.