Western c/o 2015 Applicants

Started by Lambgirl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I laughed so hard I cried!!! hahaha
Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you... that was by far the funniest thing I have read in forever. I loved the 'shapes' for thoughts for the simple dog!

19 days and counting....
 
Hahaha. I'll be into week 2 of the spring quarter! Therefore, if it's bad news, I can more easily go out and drown my sorrows with wine 😀 without worrying about major hw or tests lol. Perfect timing!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really enjoyed the entire interview experience at western! I was so impressed with the curriculum and the PBL learning style! Sounds sooo much better/interactive than sitting through 9-5 lectures! Also it was great getting to meet some of you!

While I am more of a lurker than a poster, I was shocked how few people had heard of SDN...or had no idea what the interview was going to be like...(i'm on my way to posting my questions, b/c yes that helped soo much) ...so my question...what percentage of vet school applicants to you think use or lurk on SDN?? not asking for real stats (unless you have them), just thoughts...
 
I think that there are way more pre-med students than there are pre-vet. For the vetters, I'd estimate what, 20% that have seen some part of the site before (whether they realize it or not) and maybe 3% that actually make accounts and become active?

Those are completely made up percentages, but hey. That's my guess!
 
I think that there are way more pre-med students than there are pre-vet. For the vetters, I'd estimate what, 20% that have seen some part of the site before (whether they realize it or not) and maybe 3% that actually make accounts and become active?

Those are completely made up percentages, but hey. That's my guess!

I love your made up percentages
 
This is totally a GUESS but since Western over-accepts (offer 160ish 'yes' for about 105 spots they expect to fill) that they probably won't dive too far into the wait-list...unless more people say 'no' instead of the expected 'yes'es.
 
I'm hoping that even though they anticipate announcing on the 15th that they do it earlier. And I'm also hoping that they accept me.👍:luck:😀
 
This is totally a GUESS but since Western over-accepts (offer 160ish 'yes' for about 105 spots they expect to fill) that they probably won't dive too far into the wait-list...unless more people say 'no' instead of the expected 'yes'es.

On the up side, though, with so many acceptances, that means most of us won't have to worry about being waitlisted! 😉

:xf:

Once again, I'm glad I ended up getting the last possible date (though a little more notice would've been a definite plus :laugh:)... I'd be going crazy at this point if I'd been holding out since January.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
16 days... eeeeeeeee (seriously my new favorite thing, thanks Marsala!)

I found out 12/10 about the interview, went with 1/31 and I thought that wait was killing me... This wait is way worse haha. Every 20 minutes I change from "I'm calm, I'm calm", to- "I haven't heard anything for +4 weeks since the interview, silence is bad, eeee". I need a rubber squeaky toy!
 
So does anyone know how likely it is that Western would notify everyone before the 15th? Like if they have a history of keeping strictly to the date they give or if they have sent it out early sometimes in the past? Because I'm going crazy here, I fell in absolute love with the program when I interviewed.
 
So does anyone know how likely it is that Western would notify everyone before the 15th? Like if they have a history of keeping strictly to the date they give or if they have sent it out early sometimes in the past? Because I'm going crazy here, I fell in absolute love with the program when I interviewed.

That was somewhat addressed during our Q & A on the 1/31. The second years said they didn't hear until 3/15. Some got it earlier in the day than others, but all were on the 15th.

I agree with you Friesian, I too fell in love with the program when I interviewed. What a great way of teaching! My sister-in-law uses some PBL in elementary school classes. She told me that kids really excel in this sort of teaching, even the kids that aren't "great" students. When the teachers started using some PBL, the students grades increased dramatically.

It seems as if we are all feeling the same anxiety about the notice date. I find myself checking my email constantly, in the hopes that they are going to let us know early. It's really kind of ridiculous, but I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only "freak." 🙂
 
So does anyone know how likely it is that Western would notify everyone before the 15th? Like if they have a history of keeping strictly to the date they give or if they have sent it out early sometimes in the past? Because I'm going crazy here, I fell in absolute love with the program when I interviewed.
I know that for my class and the year before (via forum stalking last year when I was anxiously waiting as you guys are) that they sent emails a few days before the date they said at the interview (I got the email 3/12 when they said 3/15). An official letter came in the snail mail a few days later. I believe that the year before that c/o 2012, they didn't get emails, just a fat letter in mailbox instead 😀

Reading about everyone's excitement and anticipation here makes a good study break (midterms all week next week...neuro nonetheless).

Good Luck everyone!!!!:luck:
 
So does anyone know how likely it is that Western would notify everyone before the 15th? Like if they have a history of keeping strictly to the date they give or if they have sent it out early sometimes in the past? Because I'm going crazy here, I fell in absolute love with the program when I interviewed.

I got my email on March 12th at about 1pm central time last year. So if it is the same this year that would be next friday!

I was the worst email/SDN stalker last year!!
 
I got my email on March 12th at about 1pm central time last year. So if it is the same this year that would be next friday!

I was the worst email/SDN stalker last year!!

That would be nice to hear about 3 days earlier, but the 12th is on a Saturday this year. Maybe, if they follow last year, they will let us know on Friday the 11th. Three to four days would relieve the tension much sooner for many of us.

If the acceptance rate is that good, and TT's figures are correct, all of us at SDN will get accepted! 😉 👍
 
I got my email on March 12th at about 1pm central time last year. So if it is the same this year that would be next friday!

I was the worst email/SDN stalker last year!!

Do they generally tend to do things on the same date?

Minnesota totally caught me off guard this year when everyone had them pegged for 1/10 and they decided to send things out on 1/6... I'm pretty sure their notifications materialized early, too.

Personally, I think they should just let us know now. Just sayin'. 😀
 
I'm pretty sure Western has been around the same date the past two years, but you never know with vet school!
 
If the acceptance rate is that good, and TT's figures are correct, all of us at SDN will get accepted! 😉 👍

Seriously, that would be the ultimate situation!



BTW....thanks so much to those that said they received their notifications prior to March 15....now I'm going to stalk sdn even more!! eek!!
 
I think everyone that received an acceptance or was waitlisted received an email on March 12 last year. Hopefully it's the same for you guys this year!
 
I love hearing that they let you know the 12th last year.
My question is: Was the last interview date the 12th of February last year? March 15th was 30 days from what was the last date (then they added the 22nd but I think they had too much compassion to add more time to us waiting). That would have given the Dean ~ 10 applicants a day until decision day 🙂 Ah, will it be the 15th? 14th? 11th? eeeeeeeeeee
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PS- 14 days!!! Or 13... or 10....
Maybe they will get on and see how pathetic we all are and let us SDN'ers know NOW 🙂 hahah


Hm... I may have started on delusions now... is there like a "5 stages of waiting"? Like the stages or grief etc... Someone in psychology could do a masters on us.
 
PS- 14 days!!! Or 13... or 10....
Maybe they will get on and see how pathetic we all are and let us SDN'ers know NOW 🙂 hahah


Hm... I may have started on delusions now... is there like a "5 stages of waiting"? Like the stages or grief etc... Someone in psychology could do a masters on us.


No, there is only one stage of waiting:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:scared:😱
 
I love hearing that they let you know the 12th last year.
My question is: Was the last interview date the 12th of February last year? March 15th was 30 days from what was the last date (then they added the 22nd but I think they had too much compassion to add more time to us waiting). That would have given the Dean ~ 10 applicants a day until decision day 🙂 Ah, will it be the 15th? 14th? 11th? eeeeeeeeeee

I interview on 2/22 last year and got the email on 3/12.
Although the waiting for the interview invite was painful it was nice that I didn't have to wait too long for the acceptance decisions.
 
seriously now....I was excited they gave us a concrete date because I figured I wouldn't have to obsessively check sdn and my email until then. BUT NOW???!?!?!?! The anticipation of the notification possibly coming earlier has my heart skip a beat everytime I see an email in my inbox. Then I open my email and its some add for "20% off at shoebuy.com" or "look what's new at william sonoma" AHHHHHHHHH!!

I wish we knew if we at least made it past the interview round...
 
LOL seriously, I have a smartphone and I've got a specific vibration for emails...and everytime I think IS THIS GONNA BE IT!?!?!....nope...just an ad lol. Especially victoria's secret and Petco recently..what the heck hahaha. I'm thinking that monday (the 14th) or friday (the 11th) would be days to receive early emails haha since they're usually not there on weekends. The 11th seems too early though..or so I'll tell myself so I don't freak! 😀
 
Okay new game...

Dear current students: Your mission, if you choose to accept it- discretely find out when they will send out these golden ticket emails... please? haha
 
Okay new game...

Dear current students: Your mission, if you choose to accept it- discretely find out when they will send out these golden ticket emails... please? haha

Not a chance we're in the middle of midterms and everyone is going (or have gone) insane!!!😱
 
Oh god, I also have a smartphone and every time I hear my email notification sound I think "IS THIS IT?!" even though I know it won't be for a while. I almost envy people who are still in school. At least you have something to distract you!
 
At the interview we were told to start getting our immunizations, titers, etc. I haven't yet done so, but I did look into costs of getting it done. Everything except the rabies series seems to be reasonable. I had a very difficult time finding anyone who can get it, but I finally found a local grocery store pharmacy can order it and give it to me. The cost is $250 per shot, and it's a three shot series, costing a total of $750. 😱 This seems outrageous to me! I knew it was going to be expensive, but I expected it to cost approximately $300 for all three in the series. I have some questions regarding this.

1.)Is it cheaper to wait until I get to Western and have them do it (provided I get accepted)?

2.)Does anyone else have any experience with this?

3.)Has anyone else checked into the cost?
 
If you get it done at Western, it should be about $575, if I remember correctly. I seriously doubt you're going to find anywhere in the $300 range, unless you can convince your insurance to cover it.
 
There's also a thread titled "rabies q" where people have been discussing prices. At regular health clinics around me it is $900 but at my undergrad school it's $555. Most insurance companies won't cover the preexposure vaccine but a few lucky people have mentioned that their insurance covered it.

On another note....for those of you thy have gotten it, does it hurt any more than any other vaccine? Any side effects worth mentioning? Yes go ahead and laugh, I can give shots but I'm a big baby when it comes getting them
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The nurse I talked to when inquiring told me $300, but she failed to say that was each shot. Oh well, now I know. I guess I will be waiting until I get there, providing I'm accepted. $575 for a series. is much cheaper than $750.

I interviewed on 1/31, and they suggested that we should get started on those things because it could take 6 months to get some of the requirements taken care of. We were told before the mock PBL session, not during the actual interview.
 
If I am correct, the rabies series is 3 shots within one month. However, if you need anything like Hep A (2 shots, approx. 3 months apart) or Hep B (3 shots, approx. 2 months apart), it could take you as long as 6 months to complete the series.

Disclaimer...that was the vaccine protocol that my own doctor followed because I had not had those shots since I was a baby. If you only need a booster the time period might be different.
 
I'm thinking that monday (the 14th) or friday (the 11th) would be days to receive early emails haha since they're usually not there on weekends.

The 11th is next week! 😱 ok, I'm officially giving up on accomplishing anything in my life until i get an email.
 
I got the RV last summer. It does take a month, that's correct. It also makes the more common sort of anti-malarial medication ineffective (or just conflicts with it)... just in case that's relevant to anyone. I found out the hard way! I paid $600 or so. They felt like tetanus shots to me - a little residual pain, but no fever or anything like that for me.
 
I just want to know. its about a week away :/ Ever since the interview, since i felt i boomed it, I've just wanted to know 🙁