Western c/o 2015 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow they never told us on our interview day to start immunizations!! Good to know lol. And it seems like the people who's insurance covered it just sent them the bill...may have looked like they had been bitten and gotten the shot (to the insurance company) but i'm not sure. Maybe I can pull off that same stunt hehe :D

Members don't see this ad.

My doctor attempted to have my vaccines covered by my insurance, but it ended up as a huge disappointment (cost me around $600 for all vaccines including rabies). I forgot what the reasoning was for being rejected :(.

Several of my classmates had no real reaction to the rabies vaccine, so that wasn't a problem. My first shot didn't do a thing, but the second and third were significantly worse. The second shot gave me a sore arm for a week, and the third one gave me a fever in addition to the inflamed shoulder. That last one was bad enough that I couldn't really lift my arm up for 2 weeks.

My first shot didn't do a thing, but the second and third were significantly worse. The second shot gave me a sore arm for a week, and the third one gave me a fever in addition to the inflamed shoulder. That last one was bad enough that I couldn't really lift my arm up for 2 weeks.

:eek: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

:smack:......and that's what I get for asking. No, seriously...thanks for everyones answers. I tend to do way better when I have a realistic idea of what's to come.

Members don't see this ad :)
offtopic.... but did anyone have an online (self-paced) biochem course that they used for western's pre-req?

I took a biochem online, and I SERIOUSLY regret it. I did so awful, like REALLY awful. I ended up with a B only because I aced the final and I think the prof felt bad for me lol. I would not recommend it at all...unless it's like the only option...you could always register at a community college maybe?

Edit: This was the second quarter of Biochem in a 3 quarter series...the first one I aced (I took the class at school and went to every class), the second quarter was Metabolism...where you basically memorize the kreb's cycle and Glycolysis. I was crazy to think that I could learn this by myself from a book and powerpoint slides, as opposed to in a class. I think Chemistry and Biochem are something best learned in person from the teacher. Unless this teacher uses videos of himself teaching, that may be a better way of approaching the problem of online biochem.

Last edited:
Edit: This was the second quarter of Biochem in a 3 quarter series...the first one I aced (I took the class at school and went to every class), the second quarter was Metabolism...where you basically memorize the kreb's cycle and Glycolysis. I was crazy to think that I could learn this by myself from a book and powerpoint slides, as opposed to in a class.

Ack. I don't know that I could've survived Biochem on the quarter system. I was counting on the rest of my marks (which were good) to essentially cancel out the sections on the Krebs Cycle and enzyme kinetics (which, fortunately, they did). If those parts had been a separate grade, I'd have been majorly screwed. :thumbdown:

I just want to know. its about a week away :/ Ever since the interview, since i felt i boomed it, I've just wanted to know :(

FWIW, I thought I bombed mine aslo.

FWIW, I thought I bombed mine aslo.

I'm trying to stay positive, but I tanked the first question (nerves) and managed to drop everything I was carrying all over one of the interviewers' feet at the start of the second... FAIL. I feel like the rest of it went well, but the whole first impression thing unnerves me a little. :lame:

It's kinda reassuring to hear from successful applicants who didn't necessarily feel like they aced things but managed to survive the process anyhow. :thumbup:

I'm trying to stay positive, but I tanked the first question (nerves) and managed to drop everything I was carrying all over one of the interviewers' feet at the start of the second... FAIL. I feel like the rest of it went well, but the whole first impression thing unnerves me a little. :lame:

It's kinda reassuring to hear from successful applicants who didn't necessarily feel like they aced things but managed to survive the process anyhow. :thumbup:

I don't know if I already said this, but I thought my Western interview was the hardest one because it was the first interview I'd had. I kept rambling, and halfway through what I thought was one of my drawn out/convoluted answers, I completely forgot what the question even was hahaha.

I took a shot in the dark and hoped god that the next few words that came out of my mouth were 1. in English, 2. inoffensive, and 3. relevant to what I was talking about for the past 3 minutes in the first place. I was also fidgeting nonstop and made ridiculously corny comments about the mountains in the bg. Also my voice was quivering.

Either I chose the right words, or I gave them a good enough chuckle so they let me in to make all the other students feel better about themselves :D. But who cares? They're stuck with me now, at least until I get my grades back from these exams. :cry:

its is reassuring hearing from successful applicants that felt they boomed the interview but still made it in. I just really want to know already to get my life settled and figure out what the hell I am going to do :/ Good luck all in about a week so we will have our answers :)

Phew. Well Nissan you made me feel quite a bit better because you pretty much described my interview. I even told and entire story and missed telling the most important part. And, like you, it was my first interview anywhere. After I left I was seriously wishing I could have do-over.

Sounds like my interview too. My first one and I swear I was just talking in circles. I didn't want to pause for too long so I ended up talking without having any idea where I was going with the conversation and hoping I'd figure it out soon. I think everyone feels that way though, or almost everyone. All you remember from the entire process are the bad parts you wish could change, or at least that's all I can remember

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah thats how i felt. I want to turn back time and do it all over again. I left the interview feeling basically like crap and wanting to cry.

yeah thats how i felt. I want to turn back time and do it all over again. I left the interview feeling basically like crap and wanting to cry.

That's pretty much how I felt after my first interview. I'd fallen in love with the school, and the moment I walked out of the room, I thought it was over. I wouldn't necessarily say it was a bad interview, but all I could think about afterwards was what I might have said/done differently. I used a few strange examples that had the interviewers laughing, but I wasn't sure if that was necessarily a positive.

That's pretty much how I felt after my first interview. I'd fallen in love with the school, and the moment I walked out of the room, I thought it was over. I wouldn't necessarily say it was a bad interview, but all I could think about afterwards was what I might have said/done differently. I used a few strange examples that had the interviewers laughing, but I wasn't sure if that was necessarily a positive.

I TOTALLY felt the same after my RVC interview, but I've gotten in there. I just tell myself they're looking for people who will do well in vet school AND in a clinical setting with clients. If you can make someone feel good and even make some jokes, you've probably got some good people skills :)

Luckily I got my acceptance into RVC literally the morning of my interview at Western (CT knows this, as per our walk to campus together :cool:) and that really calmed me down, I'm hoping this helps me and not hurts me! :luck:

Keep your heads up ladies/gents! (Hard to tell gender by names sometimes haha) I like to think of the interview as, hey, you have good academics and experience, you're good enough for our school in that manner. Now let's see how you are in person and if that matches what we're looking for in a person :rolleyes:

"....the ides of March!" :laugh:

I just talked to Lacey and told her how much I loved the school and how I'm kinda sad that I'll be sitting in lecture for the next 3 years instead of doing PBL with them in warm SoCal. :hungover:

So, I'm taking my name out of the mix... hopefully that means one less waitlister and one more happy, accepted applicant.

And to the class of 2014... I'm really pretty sad that I won't be getting to join you guys and go to cool bars and stuff! :( I will just have to visit sometime, huh?

Much luck to all of you waiting to hear! :)

Congrats TwelveTigers!! So happy for you!:)

I already said it in the "Official acceptances" thread, but I'll say it again. Congratulations TT, you deserve it. I also want to thank you for taking yourself out of the running at Western. I don't think very many people do that, and they should. It might help someone who is on the alternate list secure a spot.

Awww, congrats TT on your acceptance to Oklahoma!! I'm pretty upset I won't get to yell at you while inebriated or fight with Karin over being your big sib though :(.

Congrats TT!!!!!! I hope Oklahoma is wonderful :) I guess I'll never get to meet you in person now... you are like the wizard of Oz, woman behind the curtain... or avatar. haha

So, I am kind of hoping we will hear this upcoming Friday, but what is absolutely AWFUL:

I work from 7:15AM to 6:15PM on Friday! :eek: Which means I will have no way of checking my phone/e-mail until my lunch break which I never know when that will be or if I will even get one (if it is too busy the clinic just orders lunch and we eat as we work); which would then mean I won't be able to check my e-mail until after 6:15PM that night. I am not going to be able to focus this upcoming Friday at work, I can only hope that it is busy enough that it makes the time pass quickly without it being so busy it kills us. Anyone else in a predicament where they won't be able to check/look on their e-mail until much later in the day?

So, I am kind of hoping we will hear this upcoming Friday, but what is absolutely AWFUL:

I work from 7:15AM to 6:15PM on Friday! :eek: Which means I will have no way of checking my phone/e-mail until my lunch break which I never know when that will be or if I will even get one (if it is too busy the clinic just orders lunch and we eat as we work); which would then mean I won't be able to check my e-mail until after 6:15PM that night. I am not going to be able to focus this upcoming Friday at work, I can only hope that it is busy enough that it makes the time pass quickly without it being so busy it kills us. Anyone else in a predicament where they won't be able to check/look on their e-mail until much later in the day?

I work in front of a conputer all day and I think that is worst because I sit there and just keep refreshing so it is absolutely nerve wrecking

I'll be sitting in front of my computer till 4:30 when I have to work....then I may get yelled at for checking my blackberry hahaha. I waitress, and cell phones aren't permitted...but they'll have to get over it! :D

Curious.... How are big sibs assigned? Is it totally random? Do first years get to look through incoming class and pick? Or is it chosen based on compatibility such as age or where you live???

Curious.... How are big sibs assigned? Is it totally random? Do first years get to look through incoming class and pick? Or is it chosen based on compatibility such as age or where you live???

They send out a questionnaire, you fill it out and then they try to match you as best as possible. I'm guessing they also send out a questionnaire to the current first years.

I'm not 100% sure what goes into assigning big sibs, but last year, they sent all of us a questionnaire to fill out, and tried to match people up based on common interests. I'm sure if somebody knew a friend was getting in, they could call "dibs" on their little sib, but I don't think there's too much input from the majority of the class.

Thanks for the answers! Oh my....getting so nervous/excited/eek!!!!

Hey Azdvm, what happened to our countdown?

Hahaha... well I am so "eeeeeeee" is it 4 days? 7 days? or 8 days?!?!?! I just wish I knew! I work 8-8 Friday, 8-6 Monday, but I'm off Tuesday.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Ulcers... so. many. ulcers.

Last edited:
Umm Dear Currents Students, Congrats on midterms being over!
Does anyone want to take up that mission I mentioned earlier? haha
I'll make you cookies. Or give you a kidney. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

It is strange how Western never sent out the rest of the rejections for those that didn't get invited for an interview, like me.
I guess they are going to send them all out at once with the big batch.

What is this big sib/little sib thing? I havent heard of it before.. Is it current students taking in a first yr student under their wing?

So I spoke with Karen yesterday and she said "that Dean Nelson is picking the class as we speak ekksss :confused:. She said that the email will likely be sent out on Monday and snail mail that tuesday!! We spoke about other stuff like financial aid stuff immunizations transcripts blahhhhhh but it all went in one ear and out the other lol :D:D:D:D Sorry it took me so long to tell you guys this but my laptop crashed so brace yourself our time is coming ......lol

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Is this definite?!?!!?

haha you mean "would not" fib? haha

Well, that's excellent news!!!! Thanks tuwest!

oh my...oh my....oh my....oh my......i still feel like it will be a surprise email friday....like...maybe she says monday so that no one calls if it isn't friday....cheers to friday! let it be friday....im dying...just waiting now

Do any of the current students have this years applicant/interview stats. I saw the basic stats, but any idea what the more in depth stats are. For example, gender of applicants, LA/SA interests, how many already have degrees, etc.?

Judging from what I see above, it looks as if the freaking out has become more intense! :eek::eek::eek:

I am one of the many who are :eek:, :bang:waiting on a decision. :laugh:

omg thanks for letting us know tuwest!! Now I'm freaking out even more but at least we get to know soon. I never thought I'd say this but I can't wait until Monday!

omg thanks for letting us know tuwest!! Now I'm freaking out even more but at least we get to know soon. I never thought I'd say this but I can't wait until Monday!
no problemo smh i had to call er i just couldnt take it and i new many prospectives were waiting to lol i feel bad because i dont even care to much about my other interview i want pbl lol :thumbup:

Last edited:
I think all the 'Eeeeeeeeeeeee' is finally getting to me. I have a paper I am supposed to be writing for the class I weaseled my way into to appease Western, and it is not happening.

My brain is officially fried.

Western needs to hurry up and send those invites so I can spend the break thinking about something that doesn't involve vet school. :laugh:

Western needs to hurry up and send those invites so I can spend the break thinking about something that doesn't involve vet school. :laugh:

I have a feeling if I get an acceptance, it will be hard to think about anything other than vet school. The good news is it will change from thoughts of dread and anxiety to thoughts of joy and excitement.

Okay, I haven't done it yet but...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I have a feeling if I get an acceptance, it will be hard to think about anything other than vet school. The good news is it will change from thoughts of dread and anxiety to thoughts of joy and excitement.

Okay, I haven't done it yet but...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

BLance, did you apply other places or interview anywhere else than Western? Your 2nd sentence there makes me think that Western was your only interview. Straight curiosity here :). And keep your head up, all of us with interviews were good enough academically, they just want to make sure we can communicate and thus be good doctors :p hehe. Well that and that we can work with groups, ie for PBL :). You made it to the interview, that's awesome!

BLance, did you apply other places or interview anywhere else than Western? Your 2nd sentence there makes me think that Western was your only interview. Straight curiosity here :). And keep your head up, all of us with interviews were good enough academically, they just want to make sure we can communicate and thus be good doctors :p hehe. Well that and that we can work with groups, ie for PBL :). You made it to the interview, that's awesome!

Angschmange you stole my question! lol I am sitting here trying to think of other things to talk about to keep us busy for the next 5 days. I counted about 18-20 people on this thread that interviewed at Western....I'm sure there are a few lurkers out there too.

My question....Cautionary, I know you are waitlisted at MN and TT jumped ship......Is there anyone else that interviewed at Western that has been accepted or waitlisted elsewhere??? Lurkers don't be shy :)

I will start....applied/interviewed at Davis.....won't hear back until end of March, so no waitlists or acceptance as of yet.

Last edited:
Ang, I only applied to a few schools and Western was my only interview. I'm not totally upset about it though because Western is my top choice. Having worked in a hospital for years and learned a ton through the cases I've seen, I love PBL and think it would be absolutely perfect for me. Plus my husband is a screenwriter, so being close to L.A. would be awesome for him.

I actually think that I'm handling this whole process way better than my husband is. I left my interview with a really good feeling and I'm trying to wait patiently until next week. He, on the other hand, is a nervous wreck and every two minutes I hear, "Why can't this Dean Nelson just tell us already??"

Waitlisted at Mississippi, rejected from the 4 other schools, really, really hoping to get accepted to Western as I will probably choose Western over Mississippi if I were to get accepted to both.

Good Luck everyone!! :luck::xf: