Western c/o 2020

Started by battie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! I was just wondering where/ when people were getting their Rabies vx? And if anyone's insurance covered it? I've been told my insurance won't cover it, so I'm trying to shop around for a place that will give me the best price, as I don't really have $800-$900 for vaccines right now haha.

I'm starting my rabies series next week actually and going through Safeway's pharmacy. Im not sure if Safeway is found outside of Cali, but it's a major grocery store here. The gal told me it would take roughly a whole month to complete and that each shot is around $350 (there are 3 of them). This option was cheaper than a travel clinic nearby, and since I'm not insured, I didn't have the option for possible coverage haha. But I'm pretty sure it's going to be rare to find insurance here that would actually cover it.
 
Hey everyone! I was just wondering where/ when people were getting their Rabies vx? And if anyone's insurance covered it? I've been told my insurance won't cover it, so I'm trying to shop around for a place that will give me the best price, as I don't really have $800-$900 for vaccines right now haha.
I posted on the class of 2020 FB page as well in response to this but here's the low down: it's gonna cost a lot of money and it sucks but you do what you have to. Loans will cover it. BCBS will cover it on certain plans as will Kaiser even though they may tell you that's false. Just get it done and try to claim it anyway. I wound up getting it at school because it was cheaper/more available there than the county I lived in.
 
I'm starting my rabies series next week actually and going through Safeway's pharmacy. Im not sure if Safeway is found outside of Cali, but it's a major grocery store here. The gal told me it would take roughly a whole month to complete and that each shot is around $350 (there are 3 of them). This option was cheaper than a travel clinic nearby, and since I'm not insured, I didn't have the option for possible coverage haha. But I'm pretty sure it's going to be rare to find insurance here that would actually cover it.
We have Safeway in Cali 🙂 I found that Safeway was more common in NorCal but I guess Von's is the same thing as Safeway, and that's what we have in SoCal. Any natives can correct me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I posted on the class of 2020 FB page as well in response to this but here's the low down: it's gonna cost a lot of money and it sucks but you do what you have to. Loans will cover it. BCBS will cover it on certain plans as will Kaiser even though they may tell you that's false. Just get it done and try to claim it anyway. I wound up getting it at school because it was cheaper/more available there than the county I lived in.

Do you mean Blue Cross Blue Shield when you say BCBS? I think it varies by depending on what state your coverage is in.or your plan as you said obviously. I'm in Louisiana and when I called my provider this morning they said they are "more than sure" that it is covered, but a person in my vet school class said that her provider in WV told her it would be covered only if you are 21 and under. So strange. I'm still trying to figure out the answer lol.

In any case, talk to your insurance guys. I didn't it could be covered at all but apparently it can!
 
Do you mean Blue Cross Blue Shield when you say BCBS? I think it varies by depending on what state your coverage is in.or your plan as you said obviously. I'm in Louisiana and when I called my provider this morning they said they are "more than sure" that it is covered, but a person in my vet school class said that her provider in WV told her it would be covered only if you are 21 and under. So strange. I'm still trying to figure out the answer lol.

In any case, talk to your insurance guys. I didn't it could be covered at all but apparently it can!
Yes, I do. It varies depending on your plan, which can be influenced by what state you're in. Moral of the story? File a claim anyway. In my experience, most of the agents people are talking to present wrong information and people end up with the opposite result.
 
Has anyone heard anything more about waitlist movement? I hope the class is not full yet :\

I spoke with Karen roughly a week ago and she let me know 20 students were given offers from the wait list and that they had until the 13th of may to respond. And I know of at least 2 people who have denied their offers so far. But Im thinking we could all be hearing something any day now. 😱
 
I spoke with Karen roughly a week ago and she let me know 20 students were given offers from the wait list and that they had until the 13th of may to respond. And I know of at least 2 people who have denied their offers so far. But Im thinking we could all be hearing something any day now. 😱

Thank you for the info!!
 
I got the email! :soexcited: I'm can't believe it! I honestly thought I would have to wait until next year to apply again! Good luck to those who are still waiting to hear! The email says we have until the 31st to send in our deposit and decision, so I think that will be the next time alternates will hear anything if no email comes this week for you!
 
Congrats to all who have been called off the wait list this time around!!! 😍 You're going to vet school!!! Woooooot!!!! No more application rounds!! You're in!!! :banana:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone had trouble logging into Banweb to pay the deposit fee? I tried using my user ID and PIN from when I filled out the secondary application last year, but it is not recognizing them. I got logged out after three attempts :\ I emailed EDS, but they are out until next week due to graduation. Did something change during the end of last year until now for the PIN? I have down a 6 number pin, but now the instructions say that the PIN should be between 8-15 alphanumeric characters. I just want to pay my deposit and be an official student already!
 
The user name is case sensitive if that helps. And Congrats!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I have a list of all my user IDs and password to all the schools I applied to so I'm sure everything is correct. It seems like the whole school is on break until next week. Looks like I'll be waiting a couple more days for anyone to return my emails :shrug:. Thanks for the tip though! Can't wait to meet everyone in August!!
 
Has anyone had trouble logging into Banweb to pay the deposit fee? I tried using my user ID and PIN from when I filled out the secondary application last year, but it is not recognizing them. I got logged out after three attempts :\ I emailed EDS, but they are out until next week due to graduation. Did something change during the end of last year until now for the PIN? I have down a 6 number pin, but now the instructions say that the PIN should be between 8-15 alphanumeric characters. I just want to pay my deposit and be an official student already!
Up until this year, every time I logged into Banweb I would have to call tech support and get them to reset my password. It's not a great platform.
 
Up until this year, every time I logged into Banweb I would have to call tech support and get them to reset my password. It's not a great platform.
Oh geez :\ yeah I hope everything will be sorted out. It doesn't help also that they are out until next week. I'm also unable to log in to the you.westernu page to view financial aid info, but I'm not sure if that's because my info is so new that maybe the system isn't able to recognize it yet.
 
Can any current/past students let me know any info about the Helix apartments (maybe DM)? I'm looking into living there, but I'm hesitant since I've heard it's not a very safe area. I'm going to All the reviews online seem to indicate that it's okay, but I would like some more opinions. Thanks!
 
Can any current/past students let me know any info about the Helix apartments (maybe DM)? I'm looking into living there, but I'm hesitant since I've heard it's not a very safe area. I'm going to All the reviews online seem to indicate that it's okay, but I would like some more opinions. Thanks!
I wouldn't live at the Helix just because for the money you're paying, you could get something nicer elsewhere. The cheapest apartments don't even have a kitchen, and you still have to pay for your own parking even though they don't have their own parking... Kind of strange. I lived at the Daum for two years and it was fine, but they've increased rent significantly and I don't think it's worth it. I lived in a house with three other people first year and I think that's the way to go if you can find reasonable roommates.
 
I wouldn't live at the Helix just because for the money you're paying, you could get something nicer elsewhere. The cheapest apartments don't even have a kitchen, and you still have to pay for your own parking even though they don't have their own parking... Kind of strange. I lived at the Daum for two years and it was fine, but they've increased rent significantly and I don't think it's worth it. I lived in a house with three other people first year and I think that's the way to go if you can find reasonable roommates.

If someone needs a roommate, please let me know!! I thought I was going to live in Daumier but found out it was a lot more than I thought. I have no idea where a safe place to live is.. anyway, let me know. Thank you!
 
Last edited:
If someone needs a roommate, please let me know!! I thought I am going to live in Daumier ( I could not complete to submit an application, so even I paid for security deposit..) and found out it was a lot more than I thought. I have no idea where is a safe place to live.. anyway, let me know. Thank you!
I won't know if anyone needs a roommate because I'm now living in Florida but you can post on the class FB page about it.
 
Hey, everyone! I cannot find the class of 2021 thread. I did a search, but nothing came up. Does anyone know if there is one?

Here is the Secondary application checklist:
http://prospective.westernu.edu/ass...inary/dvm-secondary-application-checklist.pdf

I am confused by these two because nothing is attached on this supp app checklist sheet, so how do we do them and where do we put this info.?


D. REPEATED COURSES SHEET
 Complete and submit this sheet ONLY if you have repeated any courses, both prerequisite and nonprerequisite courses.
 Courses in which you withdrew from are not repeated.  Sheet will be used to recalculate your cumulative/overall GPA.
 Must be received by email to [email protected] on or before the September 15, 2016 at 11:59P.M. deadline. Please verify that the document is not received blank.

E. AGREEMENT PAGE  Do not submit a hard copy of this page.





If anyone can help that would be great, thanks!
 
Hey, everyone! I cannot find the class of 2021 thread. I did a search, but nothing came up. Does anyone know if there is one?

Here is the Secondary application checklist:
http://prospective.westernu.edu/ass...inary/dvm-secondary-application-checklist.pdf

I am confused by these two because nothing is attached on this supp app checklist sheet, so how do we do them and where do we put this info.?


D. REPEATED COURSES SHEET
 Complete and submit this sheet ONLY if you have repeated any courses, both prerequisite and nonprerequisite courses.
 Courses in which you withdrew from are not repeated.  Sheet will be used to recalculate your cumulative/overall GPA.
 Must be received by email to [email protected] on or before the September 15, 2016 at 11:59P.M. deadline. Please verify that the document is not received blank.

E. AGREEMENT PAGE  Do not submit a hard copy of this page.





If anyone can help that would be great, thanks!
Cutting it close. You have to have a login and password to access the repeated courses sheet and the supplemental application. You could always email or call Western. They responded very quickly when I had questions last year.
 
Hey, everyone! I cannot find the class of 2021 thread. I did a search, but nothing came up. Does anyone know if there is one?

Here is the Secondary application checklist:
http://prospective.westernu.edu/ass...inary/dvm-secondary-application-checklist.pdf

I am confused by these two because nothing is attached on this supp app checklist sheet, so how do we do them and where do we put this info.?


D. REPEATED COURSES SHEET
 Complete and submit this sheet ONLY if you have repeated any courses, both prerequisite and nonprerequisite courses.
 Courses in which you withdrew from are not repeated.  Sheet will be used to recalculate your cumulative/overall GPA.
 Must be received by email to [email protected] on or before the September 15, 2016 at 11:59P.M. deadline. Please verify that the document is not received blank.

E. AGREEMENT PAGE  Do not submit a hard copy of this page.





If anyone can help that would be great, thanks!
This pdf is essentially a checklist for your own records. There is a section on the site where you have to complete the application and upload the repeated courses sheet. Once you submit everything, it will take you to the agreement page and the payment page if memory serves me correctly.
 
Hey, everyone! I cannot find the class of 2021 thread. I did a search, but nothing came up. Does anyone know if there is one?

Here is the Secondary application checklist:
http://prospective.westernu.edu/ass...inary/dvm-secondary-application-checklist.pdf

I am confused by these two because nothing is attached on this supp app checklist sheet, so how do we do them and where do we put this info.?


D. REPEATED COURSES SHEET
 Complete and submit this sheet ONLY if you have repeated any courses, both prerequisite and nonprerequisite courses.
 Courses in which you withdrew from are not repeated.  Sheet will be used to recalculate your cumulative/overall GPA.
 Must be received by email to [email protected] on or before the September 15, 2016 at 11:59P.M. deadline. Please verify that the document is not received blank.

E. AGREEMENT PAGE  Do not submit a hard copy of this page.


If anyone can help that would be great, thanks!

Simple google search brought me this:
https://prospective.westernu.edu/assets/prospective/veterinary/dvm-repeated-coursework-form.pdf
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, everyone! I cannot find the class of 2021 thread. I did a search, but nothing came up. Does anyone know if there is one?

Here is the Secondary application checklist:
http://prospective.westernu.edu/ass...inary/dvm-secondary-application-checklist.pdf

I am confused by these two because nothing is attached on this supp app checklist sheet, so how do we do them and where do we put this info.?


D. REPEATED COURSES SHEET
 Complete and submit this sheet ONLY if you have repeated any courses, both prerequisite and nonprerequisite courses.
 Courses in which you withdrew from are not repeated.  Sheet will be used to recalculate your cumulative/overall GPA.
 Must be received by email to [email protected] on or before the September 15, 2016 at 11:59P.M. deadline. Please verify that the document is not received blank.

E. AGREEMENT PAGE  Do not submit a hard copy of this page.





If anyone can help that would be great, thanks!
Ill create the new one...
 
This pdf is essentially a checklist for your own records. There is a section on the site where you have to complete the application and upload the repeated courses sheet. Once you submit everything, it will take you to the agreement page and the payment page if memory serves me correctly.


I found them...I have my login and everything... Filled out everything already.. The "agreement form" they're talking about though, I do not remember there being a place for us to sign it. Is that something we sign?

I tried calling yesterday and today, and went to VM. I will email Western now.
 
I found them...I have my login and everything... Filled out everything already.. The "agreement form" they're talking about though, I do not remember there being a place for us to sign it. Is that something we sign?

I tried calling yesterday and today, and went to VM. I will email Western now.
Did you pay? Or check any boxes. It's an electronic signature/agreement I'm assuming.