Western c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't worry, I think they go through the waitlist very quickly. In the end, most people choose their IS or a less expensive school. A lot of people that apply to Western have also at least applied to several others, so most likely they have other options. Hang tight! Don't worry!
Eeek - well it sounds like they took 40 people off their waitlist of 220+ people.....so curious what the number was of students that (were waitlisted) and chose not to go to Western.... (if you catch my impatient drift ;))

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Eeek - well it sounds like they took 40 people off their waitlist of 220+ people.....so curious what the number was of students that (were waitlisted) and chose not to go to Western.... (if you catch my impatient drift ;))

Well, things change from year to year. So they could choose more people off their list. Keep in mind though that Western is really expensive, and cost of living in Los Angeles is expensive. I know someone who actually got into Western and declined, and instead decided to reapply to their IS the following year. Sometimes it is worth waiting if it meant paying tens of thousands of dollars less in the end. That's if your application is strong and can even just improve on it more. There is always a risk to that though since there is no guarantee you'll get in the following year.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, things change from year to year. So they could choose more people off their list. Keep in mind though that Western is really expensive, and cost of living in Los Angeles is expensive. I know someone who actually got into Western and declined, and instead decided to reapply to their IS the following year. Sometimes it is worth waiting if it meant paying tens of thousands of dollars less in the end. That's if your application is strong and can even just improve on it more. There is always a risk to that though since there is no guarantee you'll get in the following year.
Sure this seems obvious :)

I think it would helpful to know how many people on the waitlist of roughly 220+ people that Western went through (that declined).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks :) I'm trying not to worry... just each rejection I get makes me a little more nervous...
Don't lose hope. This is my third year applying, and I was just accepted plus have interviews at two more schools. When it's supposed to happen, it happens.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!!! :D But waiting/desperately hoping on UPenn for an interview (my #1)

Did you just find out or get pulled of waitlist?

Hi there! I found out on 12/16. I've just been avoiding SDN for my sanity lol

I was accepted on 12/16 as well. But if I get into Kansas State I will be declining Western. So fingers crossed for you waitlisters!

Hi class of 2021,
Congrats on both getting accepted & are on the waiting list!!!
For those of you who are coming Outstate like me, I know how stressful could be specially to get a place before school starts! I'm looking for someone to take over my apt. Lease for the summer time, while I'm gone for summer break (2 months or so)until you start exploring around & decide where you want to live...
My furniture is going to stay at my place, how cool is that! I live at 777 place where it's 2 min walk to the campus, super!!!
Of course I would like to know a bit about you....

Let me know if you are interested! You can text me at (703)743-4009
Let me know if you guys have any Qs, I'm here to help, good luck!

Was put on the alternate list here, but accepted at UC Davis and Ohio State. Seems odd. Will be taking myself off the alternate list, best of luck to those still hoping for Western!

Was put on the alternate list here, but accepted at UC Davis and Ohio State. Seems odd. Will be taking myself off the alternate list, best of luck to those still hoping for Western!
CONGRATS!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Was accepted at Cornell, MSU and was an alternate here haha. What gives? Just emailed them to take my name off the alternate list so hopefully I am helping someone else out!

I was alternate here as well but just got accepted to Colorado State. Hopefully someone will get in because of that! :) good luck to everyone still waiting!

Are there any current students watching this that could talk to me about Westerns deferment process? I can't find it online. I just have a couple of questions.

Hey guys! Do any of you know/ are any of you current students that I could talk to about the program?

Accepted at one of my top two schools, so removing my name from the wait list at Western. Hope you all benefit from it! Best of luck!!

What questions do you have?
Just hoping to get a better idea of the curriculum and life in Pomona. I am seriously considering Western, it is currently my top choice out of my three acceptances, and I really would like to see if I can get a better idea of what it would be like to be a student there.

Just hoping to get a better idea of the curriculum and life in Pomona. I am seriously considering Western, it is currently my top choice out of my three acceptances, and I really would like to see if I can get a better idea of what it would be like to be a student there.
Sent you a message with some info. I would recommend going wherever you get the cheapest tuition.

Hey y'all!! I'm seriously considering Western in particular becuase I love the PBL and it seems you get hands on quite early. I currently live in Florida so this will be a HUGE move for me if I decide to accept Western. Hoping there is someone who is willing to Q&A with me about life in Pomona, school at Western, and the living situation out there. Obviously this is a HUGE decision and I like to research my options. I've been accepted 3 places so I'm trying to get info on all 3. If you are a current Western student or alumni, I would really appreciate the help! Please message me! - Thanks a ton!

Hey y'all!! I'm seriously considering Western in particular becuase I love the PBL and it seems you get hands on quite early. I currently live in Florida so this will be a HUGE move for me if I decide to accept Western. Hoping there is someone who is willing to Q&A with me about life in Pomona, school at Western, and the living situation out there. Obviously this is a HUGE decision and I like to research my options. I've been accepted 3 places so I'm trying to get info on all 3. If you are a current Western student or alumni, I would really appreciate the help! Please message me! - Thanks a ton!
I'm a Western student that graduates this year and I moved to Pomona from Florida. My biggest advice would be to go to the school that is the cheapest for you. A lot of people "love PBL" and like to tout the early hands on that you get. You will get incredibly sick of PBL at the end of two years and most schools are giving their students baby rotations in first and second year now anyway. Davis and UF come to mind. Do not let those two things be deciding factors for you.

If you have been accepted to three schools, which one is the most expensive tuition? Which one is the most expensive to live at? I would chose the cheapest out of those because your wallet will thank you later. It is only for four years, and you will be paying it off for years and years and years. It won't be worth it to you later when you have to pay $30,000 more. That's just an example. I have heard a lot of different things about Western's approach from people I know who go there. I also know they not only is the tuition very expensive because it is a private school, COL is also very expensive (around $1600 for a 2BR). At least $1200 for a 1br. After all it is Los Angeles. From the people I know who go there they have all said that their strictly pbl system is really frustrating a lot of the time. Mostly bc they have to figure out everything on their own, essentially researching about things after class which wastes time because so many other schools give you the answer during lecture. It makes them feel they have to work 2x as hard for the same degree (while paying a lot for it). So if you have a cheaper option of a school, I would say definitely go there.

There are also advantages to pbl because you get a break from the lecture style of learning which can be tiring. I still think cost should still be your number one concern though.

If you have been accepted to three schools, which one is the most expensive tuition? Which one is the most expensive to live at? I would chose the cheapest out of those because your wallet will thank you later. It is only for four years, and you will be paying it off for years and years and years. It won't be worth it to you later when you have to pay $30,000 more. That's just an example. I have heard a lot of different things about Western's approach from people I know who go there. I also know they not only is the tuition very expensive because it is a private school, COL is also very expensive (around $1600 for a 2BR). At least $1200 for a 1br. After all it is Los Angeles. From the people I know who go there they have all said that their strictly pbl system is really frustrating a lot of the time. Mostly bc they have to figure out everything on their own, essentially researching about things after class which wastes time because so many other schools give you the answer during lecture. It makes them feel they have to work 2x as hard for the same degree (while paying a lot for it). So if you have a cheaper option of a school, I would say definitely go there.

There are also advantages to pbl because you get a break from the lecture style of learning which can be tiring. I still think cost should still be your number one concern though.
You laid it out really nicely. I was one of those people that was lucky enough to just grasp PBL on day one but a lot of my classmates struggled. Despite grasping it and taking off with it, it was still frustrating to have to locate the material, teach it to yourself, and then study it whereas at other schools you were taught it by an expert and then studied it at home. It gets you from point A to point B like any other vet school, though.
As far as COL, I refused to have roommates after having a really rough first year with the girls I lived with. I lived with other vet students because I thought we'd all be mature, professional, and well animal-loving. Imagine my dismay when I realize that not only are they coming in and bothering my dog in her crate during the day, but one of my roommates was kicking her when I wasn't around. My one bedroom (500-some square feet) was about $1200 a month, although it did include all utilities except for electric which was only about $10-20 a month for me. If you manage to live in a house and find decent roommates, my rent was about $600 plus another $100 or so for utilities each month. That would be one way to cut expenses down, if anyone does choose Western.

You laid it out really nicely. I was one of those people that was lucky enough to just grasp PBL on day one but a lot of my classmates struggled. Despite grasping it and taking off with it, it was still frustrating to have to locate the material, teach it to yourself, and then study it whereas at other schools you were taught it by an expert and then studied it at home. It gets you from point A to point B like any other vet school, though.
As far as COL, I refused to have roommates after having a really rough first year with the girls I lived with. I lived with other vet students because I thought we'd all be mature, professional, and well animal-loving. Imagine my dismay when I realize that not only are they coming in and bothering my dog in her crate during the day, but one of my roommates was kicking her when I wasn't around. My one bedroom (500-some square feet) was about $1200 a month, although it did include all utilities except for electric which was only about $10-20 a month for me. If you manage to live in a house and find decent roommates, my rent was about $600 plus another $100 or so for utilities each month. That would be one way to cut expenses down, if anyone does choose Western.
You just confirmed all my fears about living with roommates with my pets :annoyed: The one time I lived with roommates during my undergrad I came home to find my indoor-only cat on the roof, my dog with horrible diarrhea because someone fed her pizza, my other indoor-only cat gone and missing for two days, phone calls while in class saying they let my dog outside off-leash and now she's running around and won't come back inside, etc etc etc. You would hope though living with veterinary students stuff like that wouldn't happen....

You just confirmed all my fears about living with roommates with my pets :annoyed: The one time I lived with roommates during my undergrad I came home to find my indoor-only cat on the roof, my dog with horrible diarrhea because someone fed her pizza, my other indoor-only cat gone and missing for two days, phone calls while in class saying they let my dog outside off-leash and now she's running around and won't come back inside, etc etc etc. You would hope though living with veterinary students stuff like that wouldn't happen....
Oh geez. Okay, your story puts mine to shame. Definitely keep in mind that not everyone is like that and I know a few people who lived with vet students all three years that we're actually in California, and had a great time. Unfortunately, there is always a bad apple that has to ruin it. Also, I hate that I have to say it, but just because we're all vet students doesn't mean we're all good people :(

Oh geez. Okay, your story puts mine to shame. Definitely keep in mind that not everyone is like that and I know a few people who lived with vet students all three years that we're actually in California, and had a great time. Unfortunately, there is always a bad apple that has to ruin it. Also, I hate that I have to say it, but just because we're all vet students doesn't mean we're all good people :(
Well maybe, but no one was kicking my dogs though!! That is so horrible that someone did that to your pup :( I think a lot of issues arise from people who have never lived with animals before (my old roommates loved all my pets and never meant them harm, I don't doubt that at all)... But things like not thinking twice about leaving the door open or opening a window if you've never lived with an indoor-only cat, etc... It's tough. :arghh:

Thanks!

To all the peeps who've accepted a seat for the WesternU Class of 2021, WELCOME! Not sure if you're aware, but there is a Facebook group for your class at https://www.facebook.com/groups/182377245544373/. It was the source for a lot of info before I arrived since I was making a trans-Pacific move :) Additionally, if any of you are looking to move in earlier, I am looking for someone to take over my lease for June and July at the Daumier (and into the fall if you choose), which is one of the complexes on campus. Please let me know if you're interested!

Hey all! Congrats to everyone who's gotten accepted so far! I'm currently wait-listed for a seat at Western U, but received my first acceptance offer to Michigan State just a few weeks ago. (Woohoo!) But because I am a California resident, I am still considering Western mainly because it is close to home. I also really like the idea behind PBL, and appreciate any early hands-on experience I can get, etc. To put it shortly, I really like Western's curriculum, but I may not get in. I really like Michigan too, but it's far/would be a huge change for me. This is my first time applying by the way, so I'm just wondering, finances aside, how much I should weigh in on curriculum when choosing schools, especially when it's between an IS/OOS school?

Hey all! Congrats to everyone who's gotten accepted so far! I'm currently wait-listed for a seat at Western U, but received my first acceptance offer to Michigan State just a few weeks ago. (Woohoo!) But because I am a California resident, I am still considering Western mainly because it is close to home. I also really like the idea behind PBL, and appreciate any early hands-on experience I can get, etc. To put it shortly, I really like Western's curriculum, but I may not get in. I really like Michigan too, but it's far/would be a huge change for me. This is my first time applying by the way, so I'm just wondering, finances aside, how much I should weigh in on curriculum when choosing schools, especially when it's between an IS/OOS school?
Everyone is out of state at western

Every accredited vet school has a curriculum that will get you from point A to point B. Finances should be number one. I know I probably seem like a broken record to those of you that see me posting semi-regularly, but, really, if you got into one or more accredited schools I think that finances should be the deciding factor. If you happen to have two schools that are largely the same in cost (for tuition and cost of living) then you can start considering things about where you would prefer to live, or what the curriculum is like. Regardless, you're going to get sick of PBL by the end of two years ;) All the hands on experience that Western touts is the same for most other schools at this point in time -- pretty sure I posted about that higher up in this thread.

Everyone is out of state at western
Western is literally 15 miles away from my house, which makes it very, very convenient location-wise as well. That's another huge reason why I'm considering holding out until I get off their wait-list (if I get off their wait-list).

Western is literally 15 miles away from my house, which makes it very, very convenient location-wise as well. That's another huge reason why I'm considering holding out until I get off their wait-list (if I get off their wait-list).
That's awesome!!! Well I will be giving up my seat so I hope that helps you!

Every accredited vet school has a curriculum that will get you from point A to point B. Finances should be number one. I know I probably seem like a broken record to those of you that see me posting semi-regularly, but, really, if you got into one or more accredited schools I think that finances should be the deciding factor. If you happen to have two schools that are largely the same in cost (for tuition and cost of living) then you can start considering things about where you would prefer to live, or what the curriculum is like. Regardless, you're going to get sick of PBL by the end of two years ;) All the hands on experience that Western touts is the same for most other schools at this point in time -- pretty sure I posted about that higher up in this thread.
Thank you for your response! After comparing the overall budget of both schools, both seem to be pretty similar in overall costs. I'm a huge believer in "school's what you make of it" as well, I'm just nervous because I don't have a HUGE amount of veterinary experience compared to some others who've gone through vet tech programs or grew up around animals, etc. and want the best outcome for myself lol. But I'll do a bit more research before I definitely decide where I will go. Thanks again!

Is there a Facebook page for the c/o 2021? And if so, how could I get invited to that? I haven't officially accepted there yet or anything, but I think being a part of it may be helpful!

Does anyone know how much the deposit is to hold your seat at Western? I don't have my packet with me and a friend is asking.

Looking for a roommate/apartment in/near Claremont! I'd like to move in 8/1!

Looking for someone: Clean, cat lover, respectful of other people & their belongings, at least relatively quiet, and a diligent student. I'm waitlisted but moving to the area regardless of if I come off the waitlist because I am willing to hold out for Western. The program design is awesome, the staff are awesome, and I'm generally excited about CA! Inbox me if you know someone or if you are interested :)

Declined my seat. Good luck to those still waiting :)

Is there a Facebook page for the c/o 2021? And if so, how could I get invited to that? I haven't officially accepted there yet or anything, but I think being a part of it may be helpful!
Yes - you can find it earlier in this thread just a few posts up from yours.

Congratulations Class of 2021,

I'm currently a first year and I am living in the Daumier thus I will need someone to take over my lease for the summer and for the fall I live in a 2Bedroom with my own bathroom, my roommate is a third year vet student and she will be leaving as well if you want to buddy up with another student that would be great but you do not have to worry about paying the other half, also mine will come with a bed that I am not using I used it for 2 months then I upgraded and I kept my single bed so if you that comes with the apartment, if you are interested message me if you have any questions about the program message me as well.

congratulations again and I hope to hear from you all

Hey there 2021! Congrats on making it one step closer to your dream! There is a class Facebook page that is made just for you guys to get to know each other, and more importantly for upperclassmen to post rooms available for rent next year, sell books, etc. We're also way better at answering your questions on that FB page than trying to help you on SDN! One of the first years posted the link earlier but here it is again!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/182377245544373/

Eeeek!! Hii classmates! Western U CVM c/o 2021!

Hey there 2021! Congrats on making it one step closer to your dream! There is a class Facebook page that is made just for you guys to get to know each other, and more importantly for upperclassmen to post rooms available for rent next year, sell books, etc. We're also way better at answering your questions on that FB page than trying to help you on SDN! One of the first years posted the link earlier but here it is again!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/182377245544373/
It won't let me join! It says there's and error joining the community.

To anyone that gave up their seat, did they respond to your email declining? I gave up my seat Tuesday and haven't received an email back.