You laid it out really nicely. I was one of those people that was lucky enough to just grasp PBL on day one but a lot of my classmates struggled. Despite grasping it and taking off with it, it was still frustrating to have to locate the material, teach it to yourself, and then study it whereas at other schools you were taught it by an expert and then studied it at home. It gets you from point A to point B like any other vet school, though.
As far as COL, I refused to have roommates after having a really rough first year with the girls I lived with. I lived with other vet students because I thought we'd all be mature, professional, and well animal-loving. Imagine my dismay when I realize that not only are they coming in and bothering my dog in her crate during the day, but one of my roommates was kicking her when I wasn't around. My one bedroom (500-some square feet) was about $1200 a month, although it did include all utilities except for electric which was only about $10-20 a month for me. If you manage to live in a house and find decent roommates, my rent was about $600 plus another $100 or so for utilities each month. That would be one way to cut expenses down, if anyone does choose Western.