Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been complete at Western since 12/5 and haven't heard anything yet. Natalie e-mailed me on the 7th and said a decision has yet to be made. Should I be worried? Do they send rejection notices by mail?

Thanks.
 
Interviewed yesterday - awesome school!

They said class was just over half full. Also, they will be opening a dental, optometry, and podiatry school this fall. Currently they already have a pharmacy and vet school. All will be located in buildings right next to the med school.
 
hey for those who've been accepted and sent in your deposit, has western sent you anything (a letter, something about an email account setup). I'm asking because this is what I've heard but Western has not contacted me lately to update me or anything. Let me know. Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been complete at Western since 12/5 and haven't heard anything yet. Natalie e-mailed me on the 7th and said a decision has yet to be made. Should I be worried? Do they send rejection notices by mail?

Thanks.

Don't worry, I was complete on 1/23/09....which makes you ahead of me by 1...i called up the councilor, and she said that interview invites can go all the way to April.

BEST/WORST CASE SCENARIO FOR EVERYONE:
you have from now till end of march to NOT be worried and RELAX, travel, marry, divorce,...... and then the whole month of April to be terrified.
 
Just sent in the letter declining my seat... good luck to those on the waitlist!!!!
 
Hey, got my acceptance from COMP today. This is my second acceptance, I was accepted to TUCOM-CA last week, but I am going to put my deposit here and hope that my interview goes well at my first choice next this Thurs.

Did anyone else that interviewed 1/15 get there letter? Are you planning on going to COMP?
 
👍

Where did you pick over western?

I chose Nova over western.... I went to Western considering it my first choice but did not have a good experience... PM me if you want more details. Don't get me wrong though, Western is an AMAZING school and I had a very hard time turning it down!!!

Hope my spot goes to one of you on the waitlist that really want to go there!
 
I still don't have access to banweb and I got accepted more than a month ago! Anyone else in my situation!? Why is it taking so long?
 
Don't worry, I was complete on 1/23/09....which makes you ahead of me by 1...i called up the councilor, and she said that interview invites can go all the way to April.

BEST/WORST CASE SCENARIO FOR EVERYONE:
you have from now till end of march to NOT be worried and RELAX, travel, marry, divorce,...... and then the whole month of April to be terrified.


Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just give it some more time....::fingers crossed::
 
I still don't have access to banweb and I got accepted more than a month ago! Anyone else in my situation!? Why is it taking so long?

Yea I got accepted in November I think, and I still have not received any information regarding account setup. On the facebook wall posts, a student said that Western would be sending an email with information in the coming weeks? I'm not sure. I am tempted to just call Western and see what's up.
 
I was accepted in Nov, too. Not a peep, even after I paid the deposit. I think they're just behind after the holidays...but if you don't call, I will!

....c'mon now, they've GOT to know what neurotic pre-meds they're dealing with! haha
 
I called them on Monday. They haven't sent out those letters yet. I guess they are tied up with all the ongoing interviews and new secondary applications since it's approaching the deadline.

Let's just be patient now.
 
Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone has advice for people trying to get off the alternate list... It is by far my first choice and was just wondering if anyone has suggestions.

Also, has anyone been accepted off of the alternate list yet this year, or does that mostly happen at the end of the cycle?

Thanks! 🙂
 
Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone has advice for people trying to get off the alternate list... It is by far my first choice and was just wondering if anyone has suggestions.

Also, has anyone been accepted off of the alternate list yet this year, or does that mostly happen at the end of the cycle?

Thanks! 🙂

I recommend you write them a thoughtful letter stating your interest and desire to go to Western. Tell them its your number 1 choice! Update them on any new things you've been doing? Other than that, I don't know. Someone on this forum said about half the seats have been filled and there are still interviews going on, so I don't think the waitlist is moving at this point. But that's my guess.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview day is finally here.....[taking a deep breath].....wish me luck :scared:
 
Yea I got accepted in November I think, and I still have not received any information regarding account setup. On the facebook wall posts, a student said that Western would be sending an email with information in the coming weeks? I'm not sure. I am tempted to just call Western and see what's up.

I got an email at my western account with the banweb info 12/30, but the login info doesn't work for me. Looks like a trend here....🙄
 
I got my letter awhile back but the password they said did not work so I had to call the help number and once they set up your temp password it will work...
 
Hello everyone. I interviewed today and completed the interview feedback for Western. Goodluck
 
Interview Day

Interview day went pretty well, most everyone was friendly. I think a few of the other candidates were a bit to freaked out to be very social. We had a large-ish group of 23 candidates which was somewhat awkward. The day was pretty much as everyone on SDN predicted....couple hours of presentations, tour, and then lunch with OMS-2 panel. One cool thing was going to a birthing demo with the 2nd years that hosted the lunch panel. It was completely impromptu but much better than just waiting around for an hour. They had mannequin torsos, babies, and even afterbirth as the simulators. The students were taking turns practicing a delivery. The really funny part was that every time a "baby" was delivered the students clapped and took pictures. It really helped keep the stress low before the interview.

I think the interview went pretty well. The good news is that because I have another acceptance deposit pending they will give my my acceptance on the phone next Wed. afternoon. I feel so fortunate that I don't have to wait for snail mail!

Good luck to the other candidates, I would be happy to study with each and every one of you!

For Natalie: Pomona is not Ghetto!!!
 
Interview Day

Interview day went pretty well, most everyone was friendly. I think a few of the other candidates were a bit to freaked out to be very social. We had a large-ish group of 23 candidates which was somewhat awkward. The day was pretty much as everyone on SDN predicted....couple hours of presentations, tour, and then lunch with OMS-2 panel. One cool thing was going to a birthing demo with the 2nd years that hosted the lunch panel. It was completely impromptu but much better than just waiting around for an hour. They had mannequin torsos, babies, and even afterbirth as the simulators. The students were taking turns practicing a delivery. The really funny part was that every time a "baby" was delivered the students clapped and took pictures. It really helped keep the stress low before the interview.

I think the interview went pretty well. The good news is that because I have another acceptance deposit pending they will give my my acceptance on the phone next Wed. afternoon. I feel so fortunate that I don't have to wait for snail mail!

Good luck to the other candidates, I would be happy to study with each and every one of you!

For Natalie: Pomona is not Ghetto!!!

That prett much sums up how my day went too! Except I got to do the birthing simulation! I went in at the end with my friend who had to do it, so they let me yet too!

Btw, its is kinda funny now that I have a face to go with the name!
 
I interviewed at Western on Thursday 1/28 and it didn't go well for me. One interviewer asked me a question, "if you were accepted to a MD and DO program with everything else being equal, cost location, which would you pick and why?" Of course I had to say DO, but they didn't buy the reasons I provided to support my claim.

Over I don't think they liked me very much, which was weird because most people I talked to on interview day said that their interview went smooth and relaxed. Maybe it's because I'm one of the few people coming from out of state?

I'm disappointed, I really liked Western. Was anyone else bombarded with some tough questions?
 
I interviewed at Western on Thursday 1/28 and it didn't go well for me. One interviewer asked me a question, "if you were accepted to a MD and DO program with everything else being equal, cost location, which would you pick and why?" Of course I had to say DO, but they didn't buy the reasons I provided to support my claim.

Over I don't think they liked me very much, which was weird because most people I talked to on interview day said that their interview went smooth and relaxed. Maybe it's because I'm one of the few people coming from out of state?

I'm disappointed, I really liked Western. Was anyone else bombarded with some tough questions?

Thats exactly what happened to me on 12/16. I am from NY and I definitely got bombarded with tough questions, and they did not believe my reasons for wanting to attend the school. I still got accepted though, so I think it is just how they are with OOS interviewees! Good luck!
 
I interviewed at Western on Thursday 1/28 and it didn't go well for me. One interviewer asked me a question, "if you were accepted to a MD and DO program with everything else being equal, cost location, which would you pick and why?" Of course I had to say DO, but they didn't buy the reasons I provided to support my claim.

Over I don't think they liked me very much, which was weird because most people I talked to on interview day said that their interview went smooth and relaxed. Maybe it's because I'm one of the few people coming from out of state?

I'm disappointed, I really liked Western. Was anyone else bombarded with some tough questions?


YES. I got absolutely nailed on my interview! It was my absolute worst interview.
ie, "Your grades are terrible. Why are they so bad?"
"Looking at your MCAT score....10's in each section...why didn't you take it again?"
The interviewers asked me an ethical question about what I would do if I saw a co-worker taking drugs, and didn't seem to like my response to that, either.
I'm doing a Master's at the same school I did my undergrad, they didn't look closely at my file b/c then they asked me why it's taking me 6 years to finish a college degree.:laugh: Had to explain to them that I graduated already and was in grad school now...
Surprisingly...I got in! I've heard others with similar experiences here, they just want to see if you respond well to the tough Q's.
Good luck!:luck:

Edit: I'm in-state, too
 
YES. I got absolutely nailed on my interview! It was my absolute worst interview.
ie, "Your grades are terrible. Why are they so bad?"
"Looking at your MCAT score....10's in each section...why didn't you take it again?"
The interviewers asked me an ethical question about what I would do if I saw a co-worker taking drugs, and didn't seem to like my response to that, either.
I'm doing a Master's at the same school I did my undergrad, they didn't look closely at my file b/c then they asked me why it's taking me 6 years to finish a college degree.:laugh: Had to explain to them that I graduated already and was in grad school now...
Surprisingly...I got in! I've heard others with similar experiences here, they just want to see if you respond well to the tough Q's.
Good luck!:luck:

Edit: I'm in-state, too

LOL, 10's in each section, you're such an idiot :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Seriously, the interviewer is either:
a) ****ing with you
b) clueless akin to the parent that asks their kid why they didn't get a 45 if when the answers are all right in front of you

If I got asked the drug question after getting grilled on a "terrible MCAT score of 30", I probably would have told them that I would just join my colleague because team bonding is an important part of any profession.
 
So I called Western on Thursday and Friday about my application status (post primary, no secondary, verified december 17th 2008)... the lady said that I'll be getting a secondary soon, and that I "don't have to worry"... Anyone think that this is one of their tricks to throw me off, so I would stop calling them? :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thats exactly what happened to me on 12/16. I am from NY and I definitely got bombarded with tough questions, and they did not believe my reasons for wanting to attend the school. I still got accepted though, so I think it is just how they are with OOS interviewees! Good luck!

Haha, that's funny because I'm from NY too. Where in NY are you from? Did you interview at NYCOM yet? Anyways, the best of luck to you at Western if you decide to attend there. For me, from the facial expressions and reactions of the interviewers I had, I don't think I'm going to have much of a chance at Western.

But if what LilSDClimber says is true... maybe they're just purposely asking tough questions and see how you react to them. I find it very peculiar that they would ask someone who received 10's in each section, "why didn't you retake?", that's a very respectable score.
 
LOL, 10's in each section, you're such an idiot :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Seriously, the interviewer is either:
a) ****ing with you
b) clueless akin to the parent that asks their kid why they didn't get a 45 if when the answers are all right in front of you

If I got asked the drug question after getting grilled on a "terrible MCAT score of 30", I probably would have told them that I would just join my colleague because team bonding is an important part of any profession.

HAHahahahaHA!:laugh::laugh::laugh: That is an AWESOME answer. I wish I had the audacity/was clever enough to think of that on the spot!! I was like oh God if that's a terrible MCAT, this cycle is way competitive! No but I heard of people getting a hard time @ Western for scores/grades that weren't that bad, I guess they just wanted to see how you responded... I think I was just more in for a shock since all of my previous interviews were akin to a first date, aka "Oh, hi, tell me about yourself!"

Anyway, I see you applied to USUHS, if you don't go there will you do HSPS? I am....Navy!🙂
 
hey everyone, I just did the 1/29 interview as well. :laugh: I don't know why I felt so good walking out of that interview last Thursday, but after like a few days thinking about it, I am beginning to feel I didn't do as well as I thought.:scared: There are things I could have said to clear things up during the interview.

Overall, I had interviewers who didn't really have much questions for me. I don't know if it is because I was the last one of my group they all got tired by then, but they asked the basic stuffs and that was it. I think my interviewers stop asking question like after 10-15 minutes. We just spent the rest of the time chatting about customer services in restaurants and how relatively safe Pomona is.
 
Haha, that's funny because I'm from NY too. Where in NY are you from? Did you interview at NYCOM yet? Anyways, the best of luck to you at Western if you decide to attend there. For me, from the facial expressions and reactions of the interviewers I had, I don't think I'm going to have much of a chance at Western.

But if what LilSDClimber says is true... maybe they're just purposely asking tough questions and see how you react to them. I find it very peculiar that they would ask someone who received 10's in each section, "why didn't you retake?", that's a very respectable score.

I didn't think I had a chance either, and I did get in, so keep your head up! I'm from Rochester NY and was offered an interview at NYCOM but did not go...after I got into NSU I cancelled my other 7 DO interviews except western, and I have one at NYMC this month.
As of right now I will be attending NSU... good luck hearing back from western, I'm sure you will be fine!🙂
 
How long does it take to get a interview invite after submitting the secondary?

Getting antsy....
 
My file was complete on 1/7 and I was notified on 1/26 that my app is on pre-interview hold.

Pretty much every school I applied to put me on hold...I think it's a conspiracy.
 
HAHahahahaHA!:laugh::laugh::laugh: That is an AWESOME answer. I wish I had the audacity/was clever enough to think of that on the spot!! I was like oh God if that's a terrible MCAT, this cycle is way competitive! No but I heard of people getting a hard time @ Western for scores/grades that weren't that bad, I guess they just wanted to see how you responded... I think I was just more in for a shock since all of my previous interviews were akin to a first date, aka "Oh, hi, tell me about yourself!"

Anyway, I see you applied to USUHS, if you don't go there will you do HSPS? I am....Navy!🙂

Yeah, this cycle is competitive, but wait until all the people who figured out our economy is kaput a few months ago and get their apps together for next years application cycle. At that point we both can be like "yeah, well, I kinda had a bad day".

I don't like the interviews where you sit around the campfire and sing koom-by-ya and you never really get asked a question that requires any higher level thinking. Western was a bit of a relief for me in that aspect.

As for HPSP, sure I'm gonna go mil med at some point, but I don't know if HPSP is worth signing on for right now since I am interested in a residency that the army only has one slot for and it might be better to wait until later to "sign". Thoughts?
 
Got my call from Natalie.....I got accepted to class of 2013! Hoorah!!! Good luck to the folks still waiting. I can't wait to meet everyone!
 
Got my call from Natalie.....I got accepted to class of 2013! Hoorah!!! Good luck to the folks still waiting. I can't wait to meet everyone!
Congrats EricH, u're probably the first one to find out from the 1/29 interview group. I got to wait another week or two for the mail to come.
 
I had an interview at COMP pretty recently. They mentioned something during the orientation that got my attention. They said there is a $2000 deposit due almost immediately upon acceptance. And that it's non refundable.

Don't most schools give you until at least April or May to withdraw your acceptance before taking your deposit?
 
Last edited:
Hey everyone! I'll be applying to Western in the next cycle and I was hoping someone could clear up the LOR requirements for me. I just looked over the website, and I couldn't find anything. So how many LORs does Western want? What is the breakdown? One science faculty, one non-science faculty, one DO, etc? Any help is appreciated!
 
Congrats EricH, u're probably the first one to find out from the 1/29 interview group. I got to wait another week or two for the mail to come.

I may have been the second as Natalie had another call when I called her. She did say that she had been holding the results for only about 10 minutes.

Best of luck! I feel very fortunate not to have to wait snail mail. Where do you live? You might get the letter sooner.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1/29 I believe they said the class was one half full. However, I think that the committee met two days ago, so it is likely a bit more full now.

Anyone else think so as well?
 
I may have been the second as Natalie had another call when I called her. She did say that she had been holding the results for only about 10 minutes.

Best of luck! I feel very fortunate not to have to wait snail mail. Where do you live? You might get the letter sooner.

I got a message from Dean Adams today, I got in!!! My application journey end here. Looking forward to meet everyone soon!

***
Ibn Rushd, regarding the LOR, all you need is one from a science prof and one medical doctor (DO or MD).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.