Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2009-2010

Started by danimjo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,
For those that interviewed at Western what did the interview day look like? I am trying to finalize accommodation and was wondering at what time does the day end? Also what is the best way to get from LAX to Pomona?

Thanks

Depends on your interview time. Interviews were in the afternoon so if you interview in a later group, your day will be longer. Call the school to find your interview time or book an evening flight to be safe.
 
Hey everyone,
For those that interviewed at Western what did the interview day look like? I am trying to finalize accommodation and was wondering at what time does the day end? Also what is the best way to get from LAX to Pomona?

Thanks

they schedule the first interview at 1.30 and the last one at 3 pm and each interview lasts roughly 30 min. i think you can request to be interviewed earlier if you have to fly/travel that day. also, don't stress out about being there at 8 am sharp. the presentation didn't start until 8.45. we had to wait in the cafeteria for nearly an hour.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,
For those that interviewed at Western what did the interview day look like? I am trying to finalize accommodation and was wondering at what time does the day end? Also what is the best way to get from LAX to Pomona?

Thanks

i live 15 minutes from LAX and ive taken this route at least 2 times a month. To get to Pomona (western)...from LAX take the 105 towards norwalk, get onto the 605 north and take that to the 10 going east... about 15-20 minutes u'll be in pomona from the 10 and u should get off Towne Ave. and take that south (once u exit take a right)... and u'll see Western on your right once you pass Holt Ave. (about 2-3 minutes after you exit). The whole trip takes about 50minutes to an hour.
 
it is a shot in the dark, but for me to sit around and not even try would drive me insane. i know my MCAT score is not competitive at all, but wouldn't schools deny me for it through the primary apps? I'm not sure what would qualify as stellar EC's. My goal is to go to osteopathic school, be it this year, or next. six of the seven schools I've picked have sent me secondaries(ATSU-SOMA, TOURO-CALI, WESTERN, RVUCOM, DMUCOM, PCOM). Hopefully this does not mean that they send secondaries to everyone.

i got accepted almost 2 years ago with a mcat of 24, but my gpa was around 3.8 and science gpa was around 3.6+ or so from a good university and a major in bio and minore in chem and bioethics. I also know of another person that got accepted same year as me with a mcat score of 23. I heard that this year, interview invites are given to those with at least a 24 mcat score... unlike previous years... im not sure if this is true or not.

just do well on this next mcat exam ur taking in january (im guessing this saturday's?) and u might have a change for an invite this year... if you do, you might get an acceptance, or you may be on their acceptance waitlist which get deferred to the next matriculating year if the class is full and u dont get that acceptance call for the 2014 class by the first day of classes.
 
here are some more pictures of the new building in the background, the building next to it (closer building in the first pictures) is the banfield veterinary center.


20962639443423291200118.jpg


20962639443433271200118.jpg


20962639443453231200118.jpg


20962639443508121200118.jpg
 
I sent my secondary in at the beginning of Jan. Do they send any sort of complete email? How long does this take? Is it too soon for me to call and ask my status?
 
I sent my secondary in at the beginning of Jan. Do they send any sort of complete email? How long does this take? Is it too soon for me to call and ask my status?

they never sent me one. i had to call them to make sure my app was complete. if your check was cashed, i would call them
 
WOW...the more pics I see of the school the more anxious I get for an interview! I had to e-mail them to make sure they had all my stuff..and I have recently FINALLY gotten a 'complete' e-mail (after almost 2 months of them sitting with all my stuff)
Anybody know how many spots they have left? I'm assuming its only getting harder to get in after interviews 🙁
 
interviewing here feb 18!! excited to check out this school, any important things I should know about the program?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just sent in my acceptance withdrawal email yesterday. I really liked Western, but made the hard decision to go with another school. Hopefully that's one more spot for one of you that is still waiting. 🙂
 
Just got an interview invite for Feb 18th! They said this is the last day they have open for interviews, which makes me nervous since I'm pretty sure seats are probably 80% full at this point...😱
Just curious, does anyone know how many seats are left now, or any other admissions ratio/number/percentage they may have heard at their interview or elsewhere? Just want to have an idea of what my odds are!
 
Just got an interview invite for Feb 18th! They said this is the last day they have open for interviews, which makes me nervous since I'm pretty sure seats are probably 80% full at this point...😱
Just curious, does anyone know how many seats are left now, or any other admissions ratio/number/percentage they may have heard at their interview or elsewhere? Just want to have an idea of what my odds are!

Me too , it seems like they are ending interview season earlier this year. I am not sure if that's good or bad new for us late interviewees.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got an interview invite for Feb 18th! They said this is the last day they have open for interviews, which makes me nervous since I'm pretty sure seats are probably 80% full at this point...😱
Just curious, does anyone know how many seats are left now, or any other admissions ratio/number/percentage they may have heard at their interview or elsewhere? Just want to have an idea of what my odds are!

I don't know if its me not wishing this was true, but I'm having difficulty understanding. So Feb 18th interviewees were called in today? AND thats the last of the interview invites?.... 🙁
 
I don't know if its me not wishing this was true, but I'm having difficulty understanding. So Feb 18th interviewees were called in today? AND thats the last of the interview invites?.... 🙁

Sounds like Feb 18th is their last interview date, but that doesn't necessarily mean they send out all invites for that date at the same time. So there could still be spots available. But if you don't hear anything by end of this week or early next week, it might be a good idea to focus your energies on other schools.
 
When Western is done interviewing, do they look at MCAT and gpas again? Or is it safe to assume that interviews are the last determining factor for an acceptance?


I don't know if its me not wishing this was true, but I'm having difficulty understanding. So Feb 18th interviewees were called in today? AND thats the last of the interview invites?.... 🙁

Well when I asked if they had any other dates available, she said this was the last day open for interviews. I myself am not fully sure what that means😕 But maybe they haven't made all the phone calls yet, keep your head up! Someone might cancel and that'll free up a spot
 
When Western is done interviewing, do they look at MCAT and gpas again? Or is it safe to assume that interviews are the last determining factor for an acceptance?

You would think that once you are selected for an interview it would mean you have surpassed the GPA/MCAT hurdle... However, I am currently waitlisted and when I called to ask what I can do to improve my application I was told that my "GPA is slightly below their average." It made me frustrated because why did I spend close to $500 flying there, staying in a hotel, arranging transportation, and meals if they aren't accepting me based on something they knew about in my primary app?? This is my first choice school, so I'm going to keep trying, and I'm very grateful to not be rejected, but being in limbo like this is really hard!
 
You would think that once you are selected for an interview it would mean you have surpassed the GPA/MCAT hurdle... However, I am currently waitlisted and when I called to ask what I can do to improve my application I was told that my "GPA is slightly below their average." It made me frustrated because why did I spend close to $500 flying there, staying in a hotel, arranging transportation, and meals if they aren't accepting me based on something they knew about in my primary app?? This is my first choice school, so I'm going to keep trying, and I'm very grateful to not be rejected, but being in limbo like this is really hard!

😡😡😡 That is VERY frustrating!! I've already been accepted to a school, but am going to dish out $$$$$$ (that I don't have) to fly back to Cali (again during this cycle) to give it a shot because I really like the school!But after hearing this, I don't know if it's worth it since I know I'm already below their averages for everything(barely but below nonetheless). Any advice?
Should I go to the interview knowing that my stats are below average?😕
 
But last year they interviewed even as "late" as April. I think they made few offers too many, and, as a result, had to offer spots to some in this year's entering class.

So maybe news that Western is wrapping up interviews earlier this year, should actually be welcome news to those already on the wait list.
 
But last year they interviewed even as "late" as April. I think they made few offers too many, and, as a result, had to offer spots to some in this year's entering class.
That's only half the story. They also had a lot less people withdraw their acceptances last year. I was number 2 on the deferred acceptance wait list and it took till mid July for the wait list to move.
 
Last year the stats were the following:
Overall GPA: 3.56
Science GPA: 3.52
Non-Science GPA: 3.61
Average MCAT: 28

I think the averages might be slightly higher this year as most people posting their stats on here this year seem to be far above these numbers, but I could be wrong. Who knows why they make the decisions they do though and you never know what goes thru adcoms minds.
 
they never sent me one. i had to call them to make sure my app was complete. if your check was cashed, i would call them

Who did you call? I've tried calling my admissions counselor, Robin Johnson and I've left messages but I've not heard anything back. Is there a better general admissions number I should call?
 
We just got done with a town hall meeting with the Dr. Adams (COMP Dean).

The admissions process is wrapping up faster than expected. GPA/MCAT averages are slightly higher. 10-15% increase in applications this year over last year which is higher than most schools outside of the new schools.

They are planning on launching a SMP program this year. The SMP program won't require a thesis, but that option is there if someone wanted to. The program is supposed to start in June with ISAC. While the SMP students won't be able to take courses with the medical students outside of ISAC due to local accreditation issues (I asked specifically about this after the town hall meeting), the professor that is putting the courses together is excellent.

Link for the SMP program: http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/biomedical/biomedical-sciences-msms.xml

The current non-SMP masters program is looking to be expanded. Over the next few years (at least 4 years away) they want to increase the Graduate College of Biomedical Science to include a PhD program. This will include launching a DO/PhD combined program.

For COMP they are also likely to change over from a percentage grading system (i.e. transcript reads Course: 80%) to a H/P/F grading system. While it won't change the current classes, we were told that the vote to change the grading system passed the academic senate. There will still be class rankings (top quartile, upper middle quartile, lower middle quartile, bottom quartile) used behind the scenes.
 
Last year the stats were the following:
Overall GPA: 3.56
Science GPA: 3.52
Non-Science GPA: 3.61
Average MCAT: 28

I think the averages might be slightly higher this year as most people posting their stats on here this year seem to be far above these numbers, but I could be wrong. Who knows why they make the decisions they do though and you never know what goes thru adcoms minds.

Seems to be the same numbers as CCOM, I have a slightly lower overall and science gpa but my MCAT is higher. At this point, I have to attend as many interviews I can get since I'm being waitlisted everywhere
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We just got done with a town hall meeting with the Dr. Adams (COMP Dean).

The admissions process is wrapping up faster than expected. GPA/MCAT averages are slightly higher. 10-15% increase in applications this year over last year which is higher than most schools outside of the new schools.

Thanks for the update, Siggy. Do you know anything at all about whether or not the earlier end to the application process will mean higher chances for us waitlisted folk to get accepted? I'm bending over backwards to continuously improve my application for Western, and hoping its not all for nothing!
 
So there is little to no chance for getting off the waitlist?! :scared:

3.6
30
UCLA >_<

To be honest, I have no clue. Even the administration was surprised at how long it took last year for the wait list to move, so it could either be an outlier or a view of things to come.

Thanks for the update, Siggy. Do you know anything at all about whether or not the earlier end to the application process will mean higher chances for us waitlisted folk to get accepted? I'm bending over backwards to continuously improve my application for Western, and hoping its not all for nothing!

No I don't, sorry.
 
That's only half the story. They also had a lot less people withdraw their acceptances last year. I was number 2 on the deferred acceptance wait list and it took till mid July for the wait list to move.


How did you know that you were number 2 on the waitlist? I was told by the admissions office that they do not rank their waitlist. Also, you wrote that they have a deferred admission waitlist and regular waitlist. I received a letter saying that I was place on the alternate list. I had no idea there are two lists...If you could expand I would appreciate it.

Thanks
 
Last year they accepted too many people so they ended up with two lists (from what he has wrote previously, Siggy was on the list of accepted people that would have to wait a year to matriculate if they didn't get in off the wait list.) It sounds like they are being more careful this year so they don't "over accept." They are ending their interviews early and it seems like they accepted fewer people and put more people on the alternate list. I think this is a good thing for those still trying to get in.