Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2009-2010

Started by danimjo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The delayed admissions waitlist is ranked based on order the deposits are received. Essentially the seats get filled as the deposits are received. If you're accepted but your deposit is received after the class fills up then you're guarenteed a spot in next years class and go on the deferred acceptance wait list. This waitlist get's pulled from first. The regular alternate list might not (I'm not sure, so go off of what they say) be ranked.
 
I know I asked this earlier this week or maybe last week, but has anyone heard anything since interviewing during the first 2 weeks of January? I got some responses that applicants got waitlisted/put on alternate list.

I believe that the committee met today or will meet tomorrow...so here's to good news! :luck:

Please post if you hear anything!
 
I know I asked this earlier this week or maybe last week, but has anyone heard anything since interviewing during the first 2 weeks of January? I got some responses that applicants got waitlisted/put on alternate list.

I believe that the committee met today or will meet tomorrow...so here's to good news! :luck:

Please post if you hear anything!
i interviewed on 1/14 and still haven't heard back either...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know I asked this earlier this week or maybe last week, but has anyone heard anything since interviewing during the first 2 weeks of January? I got some responses that applicants got waitlisted/put on alternate list.

I believe that the committee met today or will meet tomorrow...so here's to good news! :luck:

Please post if you hear anything!

I interviewed on the 7th and got my acceptance letter on the 29th. I'm guessing folks who interviewed the following week should be hearing something by the end of this week.
 
what hotel are most people staying at if i'm flying into Ontario International Airport?

I stayed right there at the Marriott. It was a super nice hotel, less than 15 min from Western and in the morrning you can just call the front desk to check out instead of walking down and waiting which really saved me time
 
For COMP they are also likely to change over from a percentage grading system (i.e. transcript reads Course: 80%) to a H/P/F grading system. While it won't change the current classes, we were told that the vote to change the grading system passed the academic senate. There will still be class rankings (top quartile, upper middle quartile, lower middle quartile, bottom quartile) used behind the scenes.[/QUOTE]

Alright! thats great news 👍
 
Hey everyone,
Quick Question. Does Western consider extending offers to students, who may be in the process of completing their final 1or 2 prereq courses or do such students get the hold status, with offers extended only to students who have completed all the requirements.

Thanks
 
Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee and you were not selected to interview at this time. However your application will continue to be reviewed and you will be contacted by e-mail if you are selected for an interview. Your status remains the same until contacted for interview or notified that interviews are closed. If you would like to add additional information to your application for review, please send/email to your admissions counselor.

If you have any questions regarding your application status, you may contact your admissions counselor by phone or email.

On behalf of the Admissions Committee at Western University, College of Osteopathic medicine of the Pacific, thank you for your interest in our program. Good luck in your future educational endeavors.


So I received this email on December 1st and I still have yet to hear back from Western about an interview. Anybody else in the same boat as me who actually received an interview invite? I have a low undergrad GPA high SMP GPA and high MCAT.
 
Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee and you were not selected to interview at this time. However your application will continue to be reviewed and you will be contacted by e-mail if you are selected for an interview. Your status remains the same until contacted for interview or notified that interviews are closed. If you would like to add additional information to your application for review, please send/email to your admissions counselor.

If you have any questions regarding your application status, you may contact your admissions counselor by phone or email.

On behalf of the Admissions Committee at Western University, College of Osteopathic medicine of the Pacific, thank you for your interest in our program. Good luck in your future educational endeavors.


So I received this email on December 1st and I still have yet to hear back from Western about an interview. Anybody else in the same boat as me who actually received an interview invite? I have a low undergrad GPA high SMP GPA and high MCAT.

This has been a curse of the lower GPA high MCAT club this season. I received this email back in October/Novemberish, and stayed in communication with my counselor, but recently people have been stating that Feb 18th is the last day for Western interviews??? SO I don't know. Doesn't look great. I've heard it's because they over accepted last year or something, dunno. I'm in the same boat though ... 'decent' GPA (below their average, but not a lot) and 30+ MCAT. Almost everyone I've spoken to who received the notice had identical stats.
 
This has been a curse of the lower GPA high MCAT club this season. I received this email back in October/Novemberish, and stayed in communication with my counselor, but recently people have been stating that Feb 18th is the last day for Western interviews??? SO I don't know. Doesn't look great. I've heard it's because they over accepted last year or something, dunno. I'm in the same boat though ... 'decent' GPA (below their average, but not a lot) and 30+ MCAT. Almost everyone I've spoken to who received the notice had identical stats.

AAARUGH.

*slams head into wall*
 
just called them and was told by the admissions that they are planning to meet on 2/10

I interviewed with the giant group of 100 other suits this last Saturday (Feb. 6th) and they told us that they would be meeting on Wednesday (2/10) to decide on the Saturday interview apps. Then they would mail us the decision between 10-15 days after that time. Meaning, with 3-5 days for mailing, that you will hear back between 13 and 20 days after your interview. If it has been more than 20 days I would give them a holla. Good luck.
 
This has been a curse of the lower GPA high MCAT club this season. I received this email back in October/Novemberish, and stayed in communication with my counselor, but recently people have been stating that Feb 18th is the last day for Western interviews??? SO I don't know. Doesn't look great. I've heard it's because they over accepted last year or something, dunno. I'm in the same boat though ... 'decent' GPA (below their average, but not a lot) and 30+ MCAT. Almost everyone I've spoken to who received the notice had identical stats.

I received this same email back around November but I'm more along the lines of avg gpa and low to average MCAT. I thought it was a nice rejection but I was just offered an interview spot on the 18th as well.
 
I received this same email back around November but I'm more along the lines of avg gpa and low to average MCAT. I thought it was a nice rejection but I was just offered an interview spot on the 18th as well.

Oh wow so you received one and then later got an interview??? Nice. Does anyone know for certain if Feb 18th is the last day? Oh, and what day did they invite you (ie how many days ago did you receive the invite) ??
 
Last edited:
Oh wow so you received one and then later got an interview??? Nice. Does anyone know for certain if Feb 18th is the last day? Oh, and what day did they invite you (ie how many days ago did you receive the invite) ??

Yeah, I was surprised to hear back from them when I thought I was done there. When I called their admin office to try and schedule my date they said Saturday the 6th was the last Saturday and that the 18th was their last day. They emailed me the invite a week ago today, so Monday the 1st.
 
I suppose I don't have a chance for the Fall 2010 matriculation applying now even with decent stats and ECs (3.63, 36, 1 pub, shadow/vol/EMT/teaching).

😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I suppose I don't have a chance for the Fall 2010 matriculation applying now even with decent stats and ECs (3.63, 36, 1 pub, shadow/vol/EMT/teaching).

😛

Obviously your stats are amazing, but you may have missed some deadlines regarding when their secondary was due, etc.
 
Obviously your stats are amazing, but you may have missed some deadlines regarding when their secondary was due, etc.

Oh no, they have quite lax deadlines. However, there are deadlines, and then there are deadlines.

Western University of Health Sciences
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (Western U/COMP) Apr. 3, 2010 rollingPrimary 4/3/10, rolling secondary.

I mean, it does cost money to apply ._.
I'd totally go there though if I get in for Fall 2010.
I just wanted to see what people think the chances of a late app is. I have all my LORs, courses, etc ready to input. (Fact: I shadowed somebody whom I thought was an MD for an entire summer that is actually a DO.)
 
Oh no, they have quite lax deadlines. However, there are deadlines, and then there are deadlines.

Western University of Health Sciences
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (Western U/COMP) Apr. 3, 2010 rollingPrimary 4/3/10, rolling secondary.

I mean, it does cost money to apply ._.
I'd totally go there though if I get in for Fall 2010.
I just wanted to see what people think the chances of a late app is. I have all my LORs, courses, etc ready to input. (Fact: I shadowed somebody whom I thought was an MD for an entire summer that is actually a DO.)

Considering that word on the street is that the last day to interview is February 18, and that many people have already received invites to interview that day, and from what it sounds like, they have not even begun to process your primary, which takes a while, not to mention your secondary, I'd say chances probably are slim. But maybe give the admissions office a call? I'd hate to have you miss an opportunity, but that's just my opinion. Good luck!
 
Obviously your stats are amazing, but you may have missed some deadlines regarding when their secondary was due, etc.
the 3.63/36 etc stats are really good. no matter what, you should NOT go into the interview with a negative premonition about acceptance just because you are late in applying! I am in the exact same situation myself (3.83/28T/1 semester med school/research in Africa/4y overall research, other good stuff ....), but I am not going to let it get me down. I was getting really nervous when I was finishing my secondary over the holidays and reading some of these posts about applying late. Then I thought: what a waste of bad energy to have doubts. If I am waitlisted or worse, it's totally my fault for being late, messing up the interview etc and I have to take the personal responsibility for all this with grace and calmness, especially at my interview on the 18. By the way, the fact that I received word from Western (and Touro as well) only 10 days after my secondary submission *did* help me tons in boosting my confidence that they are interested in me despite the lateness. Best of luck to you and everyone here---Western is absolutely amazing and definitely my first choice school!
 
I suppose I don't have a chance for the Fall 2010 matriculation applying now even with decent stats and ECs (3.63, 36, 1 pub, shadow/vol/EMT/teaching).

😛

I think it's too late to apply if you haven't submitted your primary yet. If your primary is verified and you're done with the secondary and just wondering whether or not you should turn it in at this point, I would call the school and see how close they are to filling up the last interview date. I received my interview 3 days after being complete, and my stats are quite comparable to yours.

Just wondering though about why you're considering DO schools so late in the game? Most people seem to do that if they haven't had luck with MD schools, but with a 3.6/36, you should have no problems getting accepted somewhere. (This is not any 'diss' to DO at all, just making an observation)
 
I just attended the monthly SDOMA meeting (in a room with 30+ doctors, the nurse educator next door yelled at us to keep it down) and walked away with a giant tray of chicken and a giant tray of blueberry rice pudding leftovers. Tonight's CME involved OMT: Fascial Distortion to treat "fascial" pain.

I'm considering DO schools because I don't want to waste another year reapplying, and I'm unsure of how I did at NYMC/UCSD, and I want to specialize in non-PCP so I'm scared of the Caribbean (even though I'll probably get in this year to SGU... interviewed scheduled).

Also, my boyfriend lives in Pomona, and even though I got lost driving around Western once, I didn't even know it was a medical school. I'll never get into UCLA with my GPA, but going to Western would be nice.

I haven't turned in the primary yet, but I could probably organize it by the end of the week (yell at my undergrad to send over transcripts, LORs, etc).
 
I just attended the monthly SDOMA meeting (in a room with 30+ doctors, the nurse educator next door yelled at us to keep it down) and walked away with a giant tray of chicken and a giant tray of blueberry rice pudding leftovers. Tonight's CME involved OMT: Fascial Distortion to treat "fascial" pain.

I'm considering DO schools because I don't want to waste another year reapplying, and I'm unsure of how I did at NYMC/UCSD, and I want to specialize in non-PCP so I'm scared of the Caribbean (even though I'll probably get in this year to SGU... interviewed scheduled).

Also, my boyfriend lives in Pomona, and even though I got lost driving around Western once, I didn't even know it was a medical school. I'll never get into UCLA with my GPA, but going to Western would be nice.

I haven't turned in the primary yet, but I could probably organize it by the end of the week (yell at my undergrad to send over transcripts, LORs, etc).

UCLA (David Geffen) had a 3.8, 35 avg. in 2007. If you have solid LORs and clinical exposure, I'm sure you'd have a solid fighting chance if you applied next cycle.

Also, while we can't be too sure of ourselves, I'd also say you'd have the best odds you'll ever see for getting into a DO program if you applied next cycle.

Applying now may not be a good idea since the primary takes about a month to verify after you've submitted it. Secondaries come out after the schools review your verified application. After that, interview invites are made. If you finished the primary this week, you'd be sending in your secondary in the middle of March. Many schools, if you're planning on applying to a range of institutions, are likely close to beginning to end their interview invitations.

Edit: I am, of course, assuming that you're a Cali resident. Otherwise, your scores may not be good enough for their program. The MSAR has something like a 150 in-state to 19 OOS ratio.
 
Last edited:
Yeah if you haven't submitted the primary yet, then it's too late for Western. It wouldn't be verified in time. 🙁 But you still have those 2 interviews, so you still stand a chance at getting an acceptance this cycle. And dont discount UCLA. They are actually a lot more forgiving of an 'average' GPA than UCSD or other CA schools as long as you have good ECs and research. But if things don't work out this year, there is always next year. Good luck. 🙂
 
The admissions committee is suppose to meet today to make decisions.

When did you interview? I remember reading earlier that you were initially placed on a pre-interview hold at Western (I remember because I was too, in like October/November, and still waiting/hoping).
 
When did you interview? I remember reading earlier that you were initially placed on a pre-interview hold at Western (I remember because I was too, in like October/November, and still waiting/hoping).

I interviewed this past Saturday and yes I was placed on a pre-interview hold for a while.
 
Yeah if you haven't submitted the primary yet, then it's too late for Western. It wouldn't be verified in time. 🙁 But you still have those 2 interviews, so you still stand a chance at getting an acceptance this cycle. And dont discount UCLA. They are actually a lot more forgiving of an 'average' GPA than UCSD or other CA schools as long as you have good ECs and research. But if things don't work out this year, there is always next year. Good luck. 🙂

Yeah I'm also starting SMP applications, haha. I agree that it's too late this year.

2 more weeks until I hear from UCSD.

/paranoid
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee and you were not selected to interview at this time. However your application will continue to be reviewed and you will be contacted by e-mail if you are selected for an interview. Your status remains the same until contacted for interview or notified that interviews are closed. If you would like to add additional information to your application for review, please send/email to your admissions counselor.

If you have any questions regarding your application status, you may contact your admissions counselor by phone or email.

On behalf of the Admissions Committee at Western University, College of Osteopathic medicine of the Pacific, thank you for your interest in our program. Good luck in your future educational endeavors.


So I received this email on December 1st and I still have yet to hear back from Western about an interview. Anybody else in the same boat as me who actually received an interview invite? I have a low undergrad GPA high SMP GPA and high MCAT.

I had a below average MCAT and below average GPA and received this notice on December 1st as well. I called the admissions office after I received it and they told me that they had filled up all interview spots until March. I felt like this was a, as someone else mentioned in this forum, "nice rejection." However, they called me at the end of January and offered me an interview for Feb 6. I'm guessing that others that had been previously scheduled had given up their interview slot?

At the Feb 6 interview day, I met at least 3 or 4 interviewees who were in the same boat (the hold notice pre-interview) and got interview invites week of the interview. There's still hope! 🙂
 
Snail mail?! Noooooooooooooooo

When I interviewed, they told us that if we had another acceptance pending, and needed to hear back about our decision earlier, we could fax our acceptance letter to the admissions office and they would tell us the decision over the phone. I would imagine it's still the same, so if you're in that boat maybe give them a call and find out if that's a possiblility.
 
When I interviewed, they told us that if we had another acceptance pending, and needed to hear back about our decision earlier, we could fax our acceptance letter to the admissions office and they would tell us the decision over the phone. I would imagine it's still the same, so if you're in that boat maybe give them a call and find out if that's a possiblility.

yup theres that option, too

good luck guys
 
I was also told by admissions that Feb 18th was their last interview day....i thought that was pretty early but I'll be there!
 
Admissions Process
To give you peace of mind, we will let you know we've received your primary and then your secondary application within two weeks of receipt. Should you be invited to interview, you can expect to hear from us within three months. Acceptance letters are mailed no more than two weeks following your interview, and alternates are selected from the list of alternate candidates after the class is filled in April.
 
For those who have been accepted into Comp u go join the facebook group COMP 2014 and start networking. ALso check out westernuforum.com, its in the works.
 
Does anyone have more information about SMSPP (Summer Medical Sciences Prep Program)? What's the difference between it and ISAC (Intensive Summer Anatomy Course)? I've heard great things about ISAC, but SMSPP doesn't seem to come up much in discussion. Has anyone ever done the latter? Is it worth it? Does it help with easing into medical school?

Insight is appreciated!
 
From what I've been reading. The prep program is for people who have never had any experience in an anatomy class and want to get some prior to the start of class. Whereas ISAC is for people who have already done quite a bit of anatomy, and potential want to TA the class. That's what I think the differences are from reading the Western website.
 
^ Hmm, I think I remember hearing that on the interview day too. It's been a while, so I'd forgotten.

Out of curiosity, how many incoming students HAVE taken an anatomy course in undergrad? I haven't and I'm quite worried to be honest.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've got a few more questions:

1) How common is it for students to commute to school from coastal cities? I live near Huntington Beach and am seriously considering commuting rather than moving closer to campus. I think I'd enjoy the comfort of home more and save a lot of money.

2) How many days out of the week are students expected to be on campus? I've heard it's pretty much every day during the first semester, but thereafter, one can come as little as two or three times a week? Is that really the case?

3) What is the general timetable for someone who takes both the USMLE and COMLEX? How much time does one generally have for preparing for each exam? Also, how common is it for a student at Western to take both?

4) How accurate is the first-year budget outlined in the orientation booklet? I'm under the impression that the figures are probably overestimates.

Any help at all would be much appreciated! 🙂
 
^ Hmm, I think I remember hearing that on the interview day too. It's been a while, so I'd forgotten.

Out of curiosity, how many incoming students HAVE taken an anatomy course in undergrad? I haven't and I'm quite worried to be honest.

I did a year of Human A&P in my undergrad but it has been a few years. I'm planning on doing ISAC. I would say probably the majority haven't taken it though so don't sweat it, or maybe consider ISAC so you can focus on anatomy before school starts.
 
I've got a few more questions:

1) How common is it for students to commute to school from coastal cities? I live near Huntington Beach and am seriously considering commuting rather than moving closer to campus. I think I'd enjoy the comfort of home more and save a lot of money.

I know a couple that do, including one that does commute from HB. The one nice thing is that traffic is moving the opposite direction than you are once you reach N/S freeways (55, 5, 57, etc).
2) How many days out of the week are students expected to be on campus? I've heard it's pretty much every day during the first semester, but thereafter, one can come as little as two or three times a week? Is that really the case?
Technically, you're supposed to be in class during all class periods. However, outside of gross anatomy, there's only enforcement, on average, 3 of the 5 days, and those are afternoon courses (Physician and Society has random quizes, Essentials of Clinical Medicine, Interprofessional Education, and Osteopathic Principals and Practices has sign in). Gross Anatomy is split into A group and B group which alternates days dissecting. With this, you're expected to show up when your group is dissecting.

4) How accurate is the first-year budget outlined in the orientation booklet? I'm under the impression that the figures are probably overestimates.
I ended up letting my parents borrow $2k and I still returned $3k from first semester.
 
Pardon me if this is already in the interview feedback, but what does the interview day schedule look like? Is the interview before or after the lunch, tour..?
Also, for locals, how is traffic from Ontario Airport to Western in the morning? (I'm staying at a hotel near the airport) It's about a 20 minute drive according to mapquest, I was thinking about leaving at around 7 am to get there by 7:45..is that reasonable?