Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the you haven't been selected for an interview at this time e-mail but we will rereview your file until you are selected or no more interviews are available... so I think the info about February 18th being the last interview date is most likely incorrect...

I would think if it was correct I would have just gotten a rejection...
So possibly still hope to everyone still waiting.

Members don't see this ad.

Pardon me if this is already in the interview feedback, but what does the interview day schedule look like? Is the interview before or after the lunch, tour..?

They tell you to check in at 8 am, but I don't think they really came and got everyone in the lobby until like 8:45 to 9ish.

From around 9 to 10:30 you have orientation with your interview group. First admissions, then student affairs, then financial aid then curriculum. You have a chance to ask questions after each presentation.

10:30-11:30 you have a tour with someone in the admissions office. The campus isn't big enough for an hour long tour, so if I recall correctly, there's a few minutes of dead time here and there, bathroom breaks, etc. We got to see a class in the new building, but we were really in there for maybe 3 or 4 minutes.

11:30-noon you get the OMM presentation. There will be some participation here if you are inclined to volunteer.

Noon to 1 they break you up into your groups of 3-4 and you have lunch with a second year student and get to ask questions.

Then 1 to 3 they do interviews. I think the interviews actually start at 1:30, but they bring you to the waiting area around 1. They give you 30 minutes to interview. Your interview time could be anywhere in that window, so you might have a couple of hours after lunch before your interview or you might be done by 2 pm.

Does anybody know if Western actually sends out a letter stating that you are NOT going to be interviewed and they WON'T be reviewing your file anymore? Or, is it just the standard for them to say they aren't interviewing you and that your file will be continuously reviewed? Do they just say that to everybody instead of straight out denying you? Also, is it even possible that you'll be pulled for an interview after they review your file again this late in the game? Just wondering if anybody had any input! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
They tell you to check in at 8 am, but I don't think they really came and got everyone in the lobby until like 8:45 to 9ish.

From around 9 to 10:30 you have orientation with your interview group. First admissions, then student affairs, then financial aid then curriculum. You have a chance to ask questions after each presentation.

10:30-11:30 you have a tour with someone in the admissions office. The campus isn't big enough for an hour long tour, so if I recall correctly, there's a few minutes of dead time here and there, bathroom breaks, etc. We got to see a class in the new building, but we were really in there for maybe 3 or 4 minutes.

11:30-noon you get the OMM presentation. There will be some participation here if you are inclined to volunteer.

Noon to 1 they break you up into your groups of 3-4 and you have lunch with a second year student and get to ask questions.

Then 1 to 3 they do interviews. I think the interviews actually start at 1:30, but they bring you to the waiting area around 1. They give you 30 minutes to interview. Your interview time could be anywhere in that window, so you might have a couple of hours after lunch before your interview or you might be done by 2 pm.

Maybe it is because I interviewed on a Saturday, but my interview day was set up differently. I don't remember the exact details, but I definitely interviewed before lunch, and had the OMM presentation after lunch. I was done by around 1:30.

anyone from jan 1/14 interview day heard anything?? why does it take so long??????

I haven't heard anything yet either. I feel bad because I keep calling them, and they tell me I should hear back by the end of the week but I never do! All they tell me is that the admissions committee hasn't come back with any decisions yet....

I haven't heard anything yet either. I feel bad because I keep calling them, and they tell me I should hear back by the end of the week but I never do! All they tell me is that the admissions committee hasn't come back with any decisions yet....

Same with me. I had a deposit it due last Monday and I told them that, but they still weren't able to give a decision. I think they're waiting to see how much of the class is filled up/how many people send in their deposits.

Thanks RG73! How many people did you interview with, from what I've read, a 100 people interview at a time?!?

Raebear, I hope mine is set up kinda like yours, I would love to have my interview BEFORE lunch rather than after when I'm feeling sleepy..lol

So did anyone else receive a call today to double check that you were still planning on attending the Thursday interview?

Thanks RG73! How many people did you interview with, from what I've read, a 100 people interview at a time?!?

Raebear, I hope mine is set up kinda like yours, I would love to have my interview BEFORE lunch rather than after when I'm feeling sleepy..lol

At my Saturday interview there were over 100 people, but again, I think the Saturday interviews were different than the weekday ones because they're accommodating a lot of people, and they only offered a few Saturdays.

Before lunch was nice, except that my interviewer was late and I was staaaaarving by the time I went in there (should have eaten a bigger breakfast!). Good luck! :thumbup:

I never knew when my mail was delivered. Now I know. Between 11am and noon. Hate this waiting game.

Just received an interview invite by email this evening. Complete 1/15/10, 3.38, 35, OOS. Nearly fell out of my chair because I honestly thought I wasn't going to hear from them ever again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just waiting in the Vegas airport to catch my layover flight to Ontario. Goodluck to everyone tomorrow.

I called and talked to one of the admissions counselors around 4pm today. She said they met today and made SOME decisions, so for those of you that interviewed prior to the 6th, hopefully you'll hear soon. I have to put a 2k deposit down for another school by Monday and I doubt they will decide on my app by then. Anyone know if its a good idea to call another school and ask for an extension on the deposit because you are waiting to hear from another school? Sounds kind of weird to me....

I have to put a 2k deposit down for another school by Monday and I doubt they will decide on my app by then. Anyone know if its a good idea to call another school and ask for an extension on the deposit because you are waiting to hear from another school? Sounds kind of weird to me....

On one of the other discussion threads here, somebody said that a school actually refunded their deposit. Is there any way you could call and find out?

On one of the other discussion threads here, somebody said that a school actually refunded their deposit. Is there any way you could call and find out?

I think I'll wait until Friday, then call and see if I can get some kind of extension. I'm pretty sure the deposit is non-refundable.

Western is my numero uno! They better decide soon before I pull all my hair out. Oh wait, already did that in undergrad.

I think I'll wait until Friday, then call and see if I can get some kind of extension. I'm pretty sure the deposit is non-refundable.

Western is my numero uno! They better decide soon before I pull all my hair out. Oh wait, already did that in undergrad.

No kidding. I found another white hair today. This puts me up to about 10.

No kidding. I found another white hair today. This puts me up to about 10.

LOL. Don't you love being a pre-med?

By the way, anyone from the Saturday Feb. 6th interview day hear anything yet?

I never knew when my mail was delivered. Now I know. Between 11am and noon. Hate this waiting game.

I know exactly when my mail carrier comes. The problem is, the week I was expecting to hear something, he was on vacation, and then they started mixing up the schedule on me. So not only did not know what day the letter was going to arrive, the post office had to make me guess what time my mail would come. Ugh.

Hang in there.

Just received an interview invite by email this evening. Complete 1/15/10, 3.38, 35, OOS. Nearly fell out of my chair because I honestly thought I wasn't going to hear from them ever again.

Congrats on your interview! When did they say the available interview dates are? I'm assuming they would give you more than a day's notice, so I guess that smashes the rumor that today is the last interview date!

Congrats on your interview! When did they say the available interview dates are? I'm assuming they would give you more than a day's notice, so I guess that smashes the rumor that today is the last interview date!

Yes, today is definitely not the last interview date. I'm scheduled for 3/18. Hopefully there will still be a few spots open then!

Same with me. I had a deposit it due last Monday and I told them that, but they still weren't able to give a decision. I think they're waiting to see how much of the class is filled up/how many people send in their deposits.

You are right. I just called the admissions and was told that they are waiting for the admitted applicants to send in deposits. They hope (hope!) to meet again next week.

Just got the call today. Accepted! See the rest of you COMPers in the fall! And good luck to those still interviewing/waiting.:soexcited:

Mail arrived, but nothing from WesternU...Waiting for 9am on the west coast to make the call..

Called today as well for the 1/14 group. Pretty much no decisions have been made for them. Person told me to wait until the beginning of March:mad:

@bloodsucker, did you send them some other info after your interview to expedite the decision process??

Called today as well for the 1/14 group. Pretty much no decisions have been made for them. Person told me to wait until the beginning of March:mad:

@bloodsucker, did you send them some other info after your interview to expedite the decision process??

March?? NOooo..My counselor has been telling me "call back next week" for like 4 weeks haha.

Hi guys, sorry if this was already discussed.

I was accepted from the Feb-6 interview, but since I went to a NW school they automatically put me in the NW Track. I would prefer not to do it and when I heard about my acceptance over the phone my counselor said I didn't have to do that program. But when I got my acceptance letter it said "You have been accepted to the NW Track" all over it. There are two forms in my envelope, the regular acceptance form and the NW Track contract. Has anyone else received this and verified that you don't have to fill out both forms and can chose to just do the normal path?

They made it pretty clear at the Feb. 18th interview that you have until the beginning of school/August to decide on the NW Track, and that you are accepted to COMP, not into the NW Track. I'm assuming you "qualified" for the NW Track, so they sent you the contract should you choose to pursue that direction, but you are not obligated to do so and can stay in the sun for all four years.

They asked for my acceptance letter to the other school (proof that I needed to know ASAP). I also sent them a letter of intent, which may or may not have made a difference. I had been accepted to some other MD schools in December but the deposits were <<$2k so I just ate it. Now I'm broke and could use the extra cash. Oh well, loans will kick in eventually.

That is really alarming that the interviewers from 1/14 still haven't heard because they tell everyone during the interview that they'll have a decision in 10-15 days. Do you others that haven't heard live on the east coast?

They asked for my acceptance letter to the other school (proof that I needed to know ASAP). I also sent them a letter of intent, which may or may not have made a difference. I had been accepted to some other MD schools in December but the deposits were <<$2k so I just ate it. Now I'm broke and could use the extra cash. Oh well, loans will kick in eventually.

That is really alarming that the interviewers from 1/14 still haven't heard because they tell everyone during the interview that they'll have a decision in 10-15 days. Do you others that haven't heard live on the east coast?

yes

Hello all. Congrats to those who were accepted and good luck to those who are still waiting to hear back. I just wanted to share a great housing opportunity that will be available first week of June 2010. It is a 3 bdrm 2.5 bathroom 2 story detached home with connected 2 car garage on a quiet cul de sac in chino hills. I am currently a 4th year and have lived here with 2 classmates for the past 3 years and we have loved it. The drive to Western U is short (8 miles) and there are several shops and restaurants in chino hills making it an ideal place to live. The rent is $2000 per month not including utilities. Association fees are paid for by the owner. Please PM me if interested or if you have any questions. Thanks!

Hey everyone,
Has anyone not in the NW track program, heard back after their Feb 6th interview?

Thanks

Just sent in a letter of interest via email. Hopefully it will get me off the the waitlist :xf:

Just sent in a letter of interest via email. Hopefully it will get me off the the waitlist :xf:

I sent in my letter of intent a month ago and i still haven't heard back. I hope i can get off the waitlist. good luck to you too on getting off the waitlist :luck:

I sent in my letter of intent a month ago and i still haven't heard back. I hope i can get off the waitlist. good luck to you too on getting off the waitlist :luck:

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you guys... Unfortunately I have a feeling we won't hear any news until they're finished interviewing. I might give them a call so if I find anything out I'll be sure to update! :luck:

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you guys... Unfortunately I have a feeling we won't hear any news until they're finished interviewing. I might give them a call so if I find anything out I'll be sure to update! :luck:

Yeek. You're making me nervous about my upcoming interview... I just bought the tickets. I'm guessing there are an exceedingly scant number of seats left.

I just interviewed on the 18th and asked how many seats they had left. They said they were about 3/4 full. My guess is that there are probably around 40-50 spots left that they want to fill.

I just interviewed on the 18th and asked how many seats they had left. They said they were about 3/4 full. My guess is that there are probably around 40-50 spots left that they want to fill.

Wow.. that's way more than I thought. Thanks for the info!

Woot! Got an email acknowledging they got my LOIntererst and LOR from my lab :luck:

That's what they said at my 1/14 interview.

I just got an interview invite!!!!!!:D
just out of curiosity does anyone know how full the class is and how many are on the waitlist?

Has anyone heard back from the 18th interview, maybe someone who had deposit due and requested to be notified via phone as soon as a decision was made?

Questions for a current student:
Is attendance required. If so, which classes and what percentage of classes must be attended.

Are there webcasts of lectures? If so, what percantage of lectures are actually webcasted and how quickly are they posted online?

Do you receive lecture notes for each lecture or just the powerpoints?

What time does class usually end? (I know it would vary by day but just a rough idea would be good)

Thank you!

Is attendance required. If so, which classes and what percentage of classes must be attended.

Technically (as in, per catalog and syllabus), all teaching instructions have mandatory attendance. However, only a handful of classes actually enforce attendance, which makes up around 10 hours a week. Some attendance is done via sign in sheets while others are done by random quizes. All of the required classes are in the afternoon.
Are there webcasts of lectures? If so, what percantage of lectures are actually webcasted and how quickly are they posted online?
The lecture halls are recorded automatically between 8am and 6pm with a break at noon for lunch (which can be recorded if need be, for example review sessions). The videos are uploaded every hour within 5 minutes after the hour ends and include audio, video of the lecture podium, and what ever is displayed on the podium computer.

When the system doesn't work, they will try and go find the appropriate lecture from last year and post those for us as well.

Depends on the lecturer.
What time does class usually end? (I know it would vary by day but just a rough idea would be good)

Depends on the day. On average:

Monday: noon or 2pm
Tuesdays (OPP) 1-5pm is required attendance.
Wednesday IPE small group PBLs required. 3-5pm
Thursday Essentials of Clinical Medicine required attendance, 1-5pm
Friday: Noon or 2pm

Technically (as in, per catalog and syllabus), all teaching instructions have mandatory attendance. However, only a handful of classes actually enforce attendance, which makes up around 10 hours a week. Some attendance is done via sign in sheets while others are done by random quizes. All of the required classes are in the afternoon.

The lecture halls are recorded automatically between 8am and 6pm with a break at noon for lunch (which can be recorded if need be, for example review sessions). The videos are uploaded every hour within 5 minutes after the hour ends and include audio, video of the lecture podium, and what ever is displayed on the podium computer.

When the system doesn't work, they will try and go find the appropriate lecture from last year and post those for us as well.

Depends on the lecturer.

Depends on the day. On average:

Monday: noon or 2pm
Tuesdays (OPP) 1-5pm is required attendance.
Wednesday IPE small group PBLs required. 3-5pm
Thursday Essentials of Clinical Medicine required attendance, 1-5pm
Friday: Noon or 2pm

Thank you

Thank you!

Your going to be a Doctor? If going to class is such an issue you should rethink this profession.

Anybody heard back from the February 6th interview? They said 14 days and its going on 20? I just want to know probably not going to accept.