Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2009-2010

Started by danimjo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On Monday I also called and received the same news about the 22nd and am feeling the exact same "14 days =/=2.5 months!" I interviewed on the 18 and I can't imagine what those of you way further back are feeling! I went ahead and (today) faxed over my acceptance letter from Touro-CA-COM with a "please hurry and tell me yes or no Western b/c you are my first-choice" cover letter because Touro has only given me till the 19th to respond with the classic 2k deposit so I'm in a huge limbo (besides that Touro is the only other program I have applied to and it is definitely back-up for me personally). If anyone else is in the same predicament perhaps your action of sending a faxed acceptance letter -if you have one from another school- in similar fashion could help light the admission ignition....
 
I forgot to include the fax number in my last post ---which I actually had to call Western admissions office to get b/c I couldn't find it anywhere on the Western U site so this may help if needed: (909) 469-5570

(I hope it's okay I am posting this school contact info on here)

everyone please hang in there! 😳
 
Hey again everyone who's waiting from interviews!
I just called to follow-up and they received my faxed acceptance letter but it's going to do nothing to expedite the process. They are dead-set on the 22nd announcement date and thereafter. Darn. Now I'm going to call Touro and beg for an extension (probably wont help)....good luck to everyone here again who's waiting to hear back. To keep calm, I am mentally pretending that Western never said they would get back to us w/in 14 days!!! (even though apparently some ppl from my interview date already have heard back---see posts from last week)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey again everyone who's waiting from interviews!
I just called to follow-up and they received my faxed acceptance letter but it's going to do nothing to expedite the process. They are dead-set on the 22nd announcement date and thereafter. Darn. Now I'm going to call Touro and beg for an extension (probably wont help)....good luck to everyone here again who's waiting to hear back. To keep calm, I am mentally pretending that Western never said they would get back to us w/in 14 days!!! (even though apparently some ppl from my interview date already have heard back---see posts from last week)

sigh that sucks. well thanks letting us know
 
Hey again everyone who's waiting from interviews!
I just called to follow-up and they received my faxed acceptance letter but it's going to do nothing to expedite the process. They are dead-set on the 22nd announcement date and thereafter. Darn. Now I'm going to call Touro and beg for an extension (probably wont help)....good luck to everyone here again who's waiting to hear back. To keep calm, I am mentally pretending that Western never said they would get back to us w/in 14 days!!! (even though apparently some ppl from my interview date already have heard back---see posts from last week)

that's strange. i did the same thing earlier this year and they had no problem giving me my answer. try someone else?
 
Are there any incoming Muslim guys that are interested in rooming together? I live in the OC right now, but want to move closer to Pomona before classes start. Ideally, I want to share a place with Muslim guys. If there are any out there, please get in touch with me! 🙂
 
Last edited:
During the Feb 18th interview, the director of admissions stated that they interview ~ 500 students and they need to offer two acceptances for every student that matriculates. That would mean for a class of 200 only 100 interviewees should be outrightly rejected. I would guess they accepted the highest priority candidates and are waiting, apparently until 3/22 to make decisions on the rest of the students.
 
During the Feb 18th interview, the director of admissions stated that they interview ~ 500 students and they need to offer two acceptances for every student that matriculates. That would mean for a class of 200 only 100 interviewees should be outrightly rejected. I would guess they accepted the highest priority candidates and are waiting, apparently until 3/22 to make decisions on the rest of the students.

So would you say that's good news or bad news for those of us that are still waiting?
Interviewed 2/18
 
During the Feb 18th interview, the director of admissions stated that they interview ~ 500 students and they need to offer two acceptances for every student that matriculates. That would mean for a class of 200 only 100 interviewees should be outrightly rejected. I would guess they accepted the highest priority candidates and are waiting, apparently until 3/22 to make decisions on the rest of the students.

But do they acutally flat out reject 100 of those 500 people interviewed? Because that would mean that EVERYONE on the waitlist would be eventually accepted.... Here's to wishful thinking :luck:
 
So would you say that's good news or bad news for those of us that are still waiting?
Interviewed 2/18

IMO it is good news for students still waiting. The adcom is probably just waiting to see how many students accept the initial invitations, before extending invitations to students who are still waiting for a response. This would explain holding onto files from January interview dates. The gist I got from my interview was that you really had to screw up to get outrightly rejected and that a vast majority of interviews will get accepted or waitlisted.
 
Hi

does anyone know of a good hotel at a decent price very close to the school?

There isn't much in the way of hotels in Pomona. Most students end up staying in Ontario or the surrounding area. I stayed at Hotel Indigo in Ontario, and it was only $49 for the night on Hotwire. Some of the other hotels, like the Sheraton, provide free transportation to the school but are more expensive.
 
There isn't much in the way of hotels in Pomona. Most students end up staying in Ontario or the surrounding area. I stayed at Hotel Indigo in Ontario, and it was only $49 for the night on Hotwire. Some of the other hotels, like the Sheraton, provide free transportation to the school but are more expensive.

What I've heard from some people is that, well, unless you're really strapped for cash, it's worth it to pay the extra $30 to have a good night's sleep and gain the assurance that transportation will be ready and waiting for you the next day. Hence, I'm staying at the Sheraton.

However, since I'm trapped in Pomona for two nights (interview schedule and flights conflict), I'm moving myself to the Best Western @ ONT to take advantage of cheaper rates post-interview.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just writing this for applicants of future cycles.

As much as I dislike negative reviews, I have to say that the Sheraton Fairfax, while gorgeous, wasn't the right place for me. I want to write this since the hotel is essentially the most expensive one on the list given to those invited to interview, and also, because there are so many positive reviews for it. My guess is that it's geared more for business travelers than poor medical school applicants.

Positives: the hotel to airport/Western shuttle is really convenient and the rooms (suites, actually), are really nice. Staff was nice. Shower and faucets worked well, room had microwave and fridge. That's about it.
Negatives:
1) It's in the middle of nowhere, seemingly. I got in late and wanted to find food. The restaurant in-house was expensive and pretty slow so I decided not to eat there. However, when I walked outside there was nothing, not even the comforting glow of a McDonalds or Subway. I was unsettled by the fact that it was pitch-black out front. I wasn't hungry enough to order a pizza or anything and ended up making a snack out of ramen and Mentos ($3.25 at the hotel).
2) There's free Wifi in the lobby but a dearth of power outlets. You can find them, but you'll have be a little creative. Wifi in room is $10. Considering the high price of this hotel, this detail irritated me. In this entire application cycle I have never had to pay for in-room Wifi, even at $50/night places.
3) The room air conditioning was basically a prop.
4) I traveled light and relied on hotel soap/shampoo. I normally don't complain about this, but their soap felt like it was 90% lye. I've never used anything so harsh.
5) There's no breakfast in the morning. They do have a breakfast service that's sent directly to the room, but a stack of blueberry pancakes was something like $14 with a 19% gratuity tacked on. No thanks.


Later on, I stayed at the Best Western Ontario Airport. This place was ~$50 cheaper than the Sheraton and had everything I wanted - free internet, great room (quality was essentially the same as Sheraton, just a room instead of a suite.. actually, the bathroom was nicer at BWOA), flat-screen TV, huge bed, etc. The A/C was shockingly powerful. At a 65F setting, my room went from 'warm' to 'arctic tundra' within a few minutes. Staff was very friendly. There are a couple of restaurants (a decent diner, Thai place, Starbucks, Quiznos, etc) within walking distance as well as a well-stocked 24 hour gas station if you need any snacks. It appears to be in a safe area - I went walking around at 3am to get breakfast from the gas station (needed to go to the airport around 4am). Keep in mind, however, that this hotel only has a shuttle to the airport.


Edit: More importantly to everybody currently waiting, my interview group was told that the class is 75% full.
 
Last edited:
...Edit: More importantly to everybody currently waiting, my interview group was told that the class is 75% full.

Does this 75% represent the people who have already submitted a deposit, or just those to whom an acceptance has been offered?

Anybody heard anything? It's the 22nd...
 
...Anybody heard anything? It's the 22nd...

Today, the 22nd, is when they are sending out decisions by snail mail. So depending on where you live, you should find out in the next few days. You can fax them a copy of another school's acceptance letter so that they call you directly, possibly before the letter gets to your house.
 
Today, the 22nd, is when they are sending out decisions by snail mail. So depending on where you live, you should find out in the next few days. You can fax them a copy of another school's acceptance letter so that they call you directly, possibly before the letter gets to your house.

i was hoping that they sent out the decisions yesterday as well, but today i was told that decisions will be mailed out by the end of this week instead
 
Last edited:
Anybody else get the Preview Day email? I got all excited when I saw something from Western.

Man. I'm so skittish.
 
I also just received that info session email and at first I did a double take and my heart skipped a beat (i'm quite skittish myself!)
 
hehe, great question!! It definitely is a bad trait to be skittish if you are in the ocean at any time ---you can end up finding yourself thrashing around and possibly drowning in the worst case scenario. *However* for me personally and for reasons I can't fully explain, I am at my most relaxed state in the ocean even if the waves are huge b/c otherwise I'll find myself in the same trouble aforementioned. I think this ability to ignore fear while in the water is not natural---it's something I've acquired over ~20 years of experience by pushing my comfort zone a little further with each session. But, even with this point made, no matter what there are always things lurking that are guaranteed to scare you like great white sharks. Although it is very rare, it is still possible to encounter one and I am sure that my heart would go crazy in this situation. (the protocol on sharks is to paddle away as quietly as possible and try to punch them if they come near---they tend to prey on the helpless)

I used to road bike myself and I am actually a lot more skittish and afraid of cars from those experiences. I sincerely commend you for taking the necessary risks to do what you love.

I hope this helps answer your question in full and sorry to all here on the forum for talking so much about surfing. I hope you found it an interesting diversion while we are waiting for the results 🙂
*jeopardy final question tune plays*
 
I used to road bike myself and I am actually a lot more skittish and afraid of cars from those experiences. I sincerely commend you for taking the necessary risks to do what you love.

Uh..

Dude? Sharks have teeth. Hundreds of teeth. Terrifying, 'oh-my-god-what-big-teeth-you-have-Grandm--ARRRRGH NOOOOO!!' numbers of teeth. They have so many teeth that they have teeth on their skin.

Props to you, not me.

I don't know if I've ever been as scared about being on a bike as I have been about waiting on admissions decisions.
 
Uh..

Dude? Sharks have teeth. Hundreds of teeth. Terrifying, 'oh-my-god-what-big-teeth-you-have-Grandm--ARRRRGH NOOOOO!!' numbers of teeth. They have so many teeth that they have teeth on their skin.

Props to you, not me.

I don't know if I've ever been as scared about being on a bike as I have been about waiting on admissions decisions.

Just to jump in for a second, there is a much greater chance of getting into an accident via bicycling than a shark. One of my co-workers supervisors was hit by a car door opening and subsequently run over by a bus.... 🙁 Don't underestimate the dangers but never a good thing to live in fear either. Just be careful out there!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just to jump in for a second, there is a much greater chance of getting into an accident via bicycling than a shark. One of my co-workers supervisors was hit by a car door opening and subsequently run over by a bus.... 🙁 Don't underestimate the dangers but never a good thing to live in fear either. Just be careful out there!!

Yeah.. you've gotta get really good at understanding how drivers will react. Actually, it's made me a better driver.

As far as dooring goes, stay away from parallel parked cars. Did that super survive? That sounds horrible. People rarely check before they hop out. Take the entire lane if you have to - you're legally entitled to it to ensure your safety. Just don't be the guy who takes the lane at 10 mph and holds up traffic for miles, then runs every traffic light. Every so often, pull over and let people pass. Most drivers will be reasonably accommodating. Sharks, however, are seemingly custom-made to feast on the tender pink flesh of our bodies. 😀

The main problem, I think, is that too few people are educated when it comes to cycling. There are few resources on how to stay safe on the asphalt. Thus, you constantly hear about dooring and people getting right-hooked when they try to blow past the right side of a car at an intersection. These inexperienced cyclists think they're visible. In reality though, how many people check their right side mirror before they turn right at an intersection?

Speaking of education: Bicycle Safety: How to Not Get Hit by Cars

That said, I will run a red light after I've stopped fully for it if there are no cars crossing the intersection and there are a ton of cars behind me. It's faster for them to start up when the light turns green and it's safer for me to not be the leader in a pack. Idaho actually made this sort of selective stopping legal.

I don't know. There are plenty of dangers on the road, but if you use your head and don't be a typical fixie hipster, you'll probably be fine.
 
Uh..

I don't know if I've ever been as scared about being on a bike as I have been about waiting on admissions decisions.


I definitely couldn't agree more about how critical this all is!----medical school is four more years and the whole professional endeavor is going to occupy 95% of my time for at least the next two decades. Surfing will soon become a once-a-month-if-I'm-lucky activity and much more just a collection of memories I can use to relax my mind sitting in the library, on-call room, etc.....

What a neat exchange! 😀

*And yes indeedy, those sharks do have lots of teeth, but tiger sharks (what we have most) are usually only up to six feet in length. They tend to go for small limbs---ie forearms---but if you show dominance when they approach and punch them away IE on top of their head, they usually get scared off. This means overriding all your limbic/amygdala basic fear impulses, which is not an easy feat at all!!! -"dudette" 😉
**A well-known Hawaiian surfer who lost nearly her entire arm to a shark is Bethany Hamilton. She surfs some of the world's biggest and gnarliest waves with only one arm---it is absolutely amazing to watch. Btw, they have wayyyy more sharks in Hawaii. It is very sketchy to surf there at dawn or dusk just b/c of the hungry sharks.
 
Anyone on the waitlist keep getting emails from Western. They keep sending me emails about tuition and stuff. It's like they are teasing me 😡!
 
^^^ Yes, I got one too and I got really excited and then realized it wasn't from my counselor. I really really hope there's waitlist movement this year.
 
They just raised our tuition to $45,385... Awesome... 🙁

At this rate, I'm betting it'll be $50k+ by our fourth year
 
nope. 🙁 sadly, she advocated for people to bike more often in the city.

Ugh. That's tragic. We just had a guy here in Ann Arbor (also a bike advocate) get run down by some high schooler who took, by his own admissions, took his eyes off the road for "4 to 5 seconds", crossing the fog line on a clear, sunny day while going 50mph.

On a more on-topic note, has anybody heard from WCOMP today?
 
Have not heard anything since my Feb 18 interview with them. No invites to preview as well-not sure if that is any sign of things to come.
 
hey so last week when I called they said call back on Monday afternoon for an update. I actually didn't call yesterday because I have called so many times and just prefer to wait at this point for the mail (I have also reserved a seat elsewhere for backup so now there's no rush on my end). But it should be this week. If anyone hears anything besides those info session emails, can you please let us know? I just keep checking this forum to get an idea of when the news might arrive.
 
Hi Everyone! I've been keeping up with this thread since my interview and everyone has been so helpful, and I wanted to help contribute.

So I was in the same boat as most of you, interviewed on 2/6 and didn't hear anything for 2 months. I was a NW Track candidate and I got my acceptance letter yesterday, March 29th! Yay! For those of you waiting, keep an eye out for letters, they should be coming soon!

P.S. My acceptance letter stated that I had to accept as a NW Track student because the standard track was already full. I'm sorry that I can't elaborate more for those that might be on the waiting list but I just wanted to give everyone some info.
 
Hi there, as of today I haven't received any news since my interview on 2/6. I just called my advisor at WCOMP and she just told me that decision hasn't been made yet, the adcom is supposed to meet this Thursday. I asked how full the class was, if there was still any spots left, but she wasn't able to tell me. I'm still anxious to hear back. This is my first choice! 🙁
 
Hi Everyone! I've been keeping up with this thread since my interview and everyone has been so helpful, and I wanted to help contribute.

So I was in the same boat as most of you, interviewed on 2/6 and didn't hear anything for 2 months. I was a NW Track candidate and I got my acceptance letter yesterday, March 29th! Yay! For those of you waiting, keep an eye out for letters, they should be coming soon!

P.S. My acceptance letter stated that I had to accept as a NW Track student because the standard track was already full. I'm sorry that I can't elaborate more for those that might be on the waiting list but I just wanted to give everyone some info.

If the standard track is full, why are they making all of us suffer like this?

It seems like most people waiting are those who interviewed in February. Did anyone from Jan 14th hear back yet?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If the standard track is full, why are they making all of us suffer like this?

Just so you know, I got accepted to another DO school a little while ago. At the same time on SDN, people reported that they received letters saying that the class was full. It's possible that the adcom simply says that the class is full because they intend on filling the approved accepted slots within the next couple days of application review.
 
I was placed on the alternate list ugh....I have at 3.3 and 32n, I interviewed on 3/18, and I don't think I did very well :/ damn procrastination....
 
I was complete in January. Never heard anything else. If the class is full and there are no more interviews, why haven't I gotten a rejection?
 
I was complete in January. Never heard anything else. If the class is full and there are no more interviews, why haven't I gotten a rejection?
I got an email today saying the class is full, and they are not doing anymore interviews. therefore I've been rejected.