Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just found out that I was placed on the alternate list. They said it is not ranked. Does anyone know how many people are already on the alternate list? I know last year they took no one off of the alternate list but I am hoping to get off this year. I interviewed on Feb. 6th.

Members don't see this ad.

Your going to be a Doctor? If going to class is such an issue you should rethink this profession.

Buddy, people have different studying methods. If sitting in class works for you, be my guest. But you will quickly realize that it is not the most effective way to study.
You are going to be a doctor? If so, you need an open mind. There isn't just one way of doing things.
PS, I am already a med student. But my pre-med friends are always asking me to compare schools. So I just wanted to get a better idea of how Western does it.

Members don't see this ad :)
They asked for my acceptance letter to the other school (proof that I needed to know ASAP). I also sent them a letter of intent, which may or may not have made a difference. I had been accepted to some other MD schools in December but the deposits were <<$2k so I just ate it. Now I'm broke and could use the extra cash. Oh well, loans will kick in eventually.

That is really alarming that the interviewers from 1/14 still haven't heard because they tell everyone during the interview that they'll have a decision in 10-15 days. Do you others that haven't heard live on the east coast?

@bloodsucker - congrats on getting in! which md schools did you get accepted into? and what made you choose western over these schools?

Your going to be a Doctor? If going to class is such an issue you should rethink this profession.

The acquisition of knowledge is much more important than the path taken to acquire it.

The acquisition of knowledge is much more important than the path taken to acquire it.
exactly! LEARNING: it's a state function, not a path function (hehe!)

I totally agree here----personally, I am a very, very visual and kinesthetic learner---sitting and listening to someone go over the slides in lecture is usually a waste of time for me---I do better sitting by myself or in a group and going over the material using my own energy, usually re-writing or drawing it and saying it aloud to myself (rather than hearing it spoken by someone else). however, life gets more difficult when only verbally told directions. I am so visual that sometimes they seem to go in one ear and out the other---I usually need to write them down or hear it 2x, even 3x! I think it is a good idea to know these things about oneself before entering an academic program of such high demand such as medical school and the profession itself----and I think it is even better to continue being open-minded in general about learning *new* techniques to learning. I think it's especially important to be open to other people's lives and their ways of doing things. This can apply very well to a life in medicine and taking care of pt's: "To understand just one life, you have to swallow the world." -Salman Rushdie You're going to see a lot and if you judge other people harshly, you'll have a much higher probability of ending up a miserable doc.
All the best to everyone here!

Anyone get a BanWeb email today?
I got one, but it is not letting me log in with the info they provided in the email.. hmm

It didn't work for me either.

Same here. I haven't gotten around to calling them about it yet. They probably just haven't gotten around to actually activating the accounts yet.

by the way i emailed them and they said that MARCH 18th is the last day for interviews..

Interviewed in Oct. Accepted Nov!! :D Also got accepted into Touro Univ NV, Des Moines Univ, AT Still Univ AZ, Miwestern Univ AZ, Pacific Northwest, and Univ of North Texas (surprisingly!). Very blessed to have gotten accepted--I was only hoping for one yes, and got into all the DO schools I applied to :) God is GOOD.

I am more than happy to help out anyone else who is still in the process of applying and can answer any comparison questions about Western with the other schools I've visited. Just PM me! Good luck and God bless to all of you who are still awaiting their yes(es)!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here interview in January? I interviewed and never heard back... the counselor told me that the AdCom hasn't met lately...?!

Anyone here interview in January? I interviewed and never heard back... the counselor told me that the AdCom hasn't met lately...?!
me too... i interviewed on January 14 and never heard back. i keep contacting my counselor every two weeks and i get the same response: "the admission's committee has not made a decision yet. you should expect a decision in the next two weeks."

I interviewed Feb.18th and just got my acceptance in the mail yesterday. Good luck to everyone else and I'll see you in August!

Last edited:
Interviewed in Oct. Accepted Nov!! :D Also got accepted into Touro Univ NV, Des Moines Univ, AT Still Univ AZ, Miwestern Univ AZ, Pacific Northwest, and Univ of North Texas (surprisingly!). Very blessed to have gotten accepted--I was only hoping for one yes, and got into all the DO schools I applied to :) God is GOOD.

I am more than happy to help out anyone else who is still in the process of applying and can answer any comparison questions about Western with the other schools I've visited. Just PM me! Good luck and God bless to all of you who are still awaiting their yes(es)!!

Congrads on all the acceptances! So just curious, which school are you picking and why?

me too... i interviewed on January 14 and never heard back. i keep contacting my counselor every two weeks and i get the same response: "the admission's committee has not made a decision yet. you should expect a decision in the next two weeks."

Me too :/

Me too :/

same here. interviewed on jan 14 and no answer

i called them and was told that the decision was made!!! but they are waiting to see how many accepted ppl would make deposits, so they don't overaccept.

my guess (and hope) is that they wouldn't hold decisions for those they rejected and waitlisted. if we haven't heard from them, is it because they want to accept us but just are waiting to see if they have enough spots available??

EDIT: although that acceptance from february interview above puzzles me. Oh yeah. and I'm from the east coast. that could also be the reason. are you Jan 14 guys OOS?

Last edited:
I interviewed on the 18th of February too and just got a letter notifying me I'm on the alternate list. Bummer, great school. Hopefully it moves this year. Good luck to everyone in waiting.

same here. interviewed on jan 14 and no answer

i called them and was told that the decision was made!!! but they are waiting to see how many accepted ppl would make deposits, so they don't overaccept.

my guess (and hope) is that they wouldn't hold decisions for those they rejected and waitlisted. if we haven't heard from them, is it because they want to accept us but just are waiting to see if they have enough spots available??

EDIT: although that acceptance from february interview above puzzles me. Oh yeah. and I'm from the east coast. that could also be the reason. are you Jan 14 guys OOS?
i live in LA and haven't heard anything since jan 14 so mail isn't the problem.

interviewed Feb 18th, rejected. I guess a 3.35 and 30R are not enough for this place. What a waste of time and money, ended up interviewing with like 30 people. Had I known this fact, never would have attended the interview:thumbdown:

Last edited:
interviewed Feb 18th, rejected. I guess a 3.35 and 30R are not enough for this place. What a waste of time and money, ended up interviewing with like 30 people. Had I known this fact, never would have attended the interview:thumbdown:

Wow dude. That sucks and I'm sorry (especially if this was a top choice for you), but you can't say you interviewed for nothing. Even though WCOMP interviews a lot at a time (80 on day at some point this year), I believe I read that they take about 1/3 of all interviewed. Your chance without interview would be 0.00%.

for those on the alternate list, i just got an email back from my counselor. she says she is not sure what the likelihood of getting of the alternate list at the moment. She did tell me that at this point the class is 90% full and they currently only have one more interview day scheduled. I'm guessing that's the 3/18 interview. good luck guys!

Wow dude. That sucks and I'm sorry (especially if this was a top choice for you), but you can't say you interviewed for nothing. Even though WCOMP interviews a lot at a time (80 on day at some point this year), I believe I read that they take about 1/3 of all interviewed. Your chance without interview would be 0.00%.

Your def right about that, but Nova is still my top choice and I'm on a waitlist there right. Its just annoying when I have some parts of my application that are above average to keep gettting waitlisted without one acceptance yet and I applied EARLY. O well, can't do anything but wait now

Hmm I interviewed on Feb 18th as well, but no letter in the mail today either. Makes me worry since I only see posts about people getting either accepted or wait-listed from that day. I guess if I haven't gotten a letter at this point means I'm probably gonna be getting a rejection real soon. :shrug:
It's weird, when I called last week, they said they were making calls about acceptances. Did people with acceptances get phone calls too?

She did tell me that at this point the class is 90% full and they currently only have one more interview day scheduled. I'm guessing that's the 3/18 interview. good luck guys!

Hooah! 3/18! Anybody else going in?

That's interesting.. so they only like to do a few interview dates each month?

Apevo: Yeah, I hear you. I'm waitlisted at my top (UMDNJ) and have two interviews coming up. At this point, it's unlikely I'll get any more. I'm going to start applying to post-bacc programs soon so that I'm not just sitting around doing nothing next year if I don't get in. Frustrating.

I interviewed Feb 18th and got put on the alternate list as well. I'm thinking if 90% of the class is filled currently our chances of getting off of the list are probably pretty bad. Also, I'm wondering if they said how many people are on the alternate list, if it's more along the lines of 40-50 I'll feel a lot better than if the list is 100 or more.

I interviewed Feb 18th and got put on the alternate list as well. I'm thinking if 90% of the class is filled currently our chances of getting off of the list are probably pretty bad.

When they say that 90% of the class is filled, does that mean that people have actually laid deposits for 90% of the open spots or that they've made 90% of the offers they're willing to make?

I interviewed Feb 18th and got put on the alternate list as well. I'm thinking if 90% of the class is filled currently our chances of getting off of the list are probably pretty bad. Also, I'm wondering if they said how many people are on the alternate list, if it's more along the lines of 40-50 I'll feel a lot better than if the list is 100 or more.

I asked my counselor and she does not know how many people currently are on the list. When i was placed on the alternate list way back in the beginning of november, i was told that they had about 20 people on the list already. I'm guessing at this point there's probably at least 40-50 on the least.

Quick question - does anybody know if the Shilo Inn Hotel has free wireless in the rooms or in the hotel?

Or, are there any other recommendations?

EDIT: Also - is there anything fun to do in Ontario or Pomona? The Ontario Mills Mall looks somewhat iffy. My flight doesn't leave until 6am after the interview. If there's nowhere to go, I might consider simply sleeping in the airport. If there are things to see, then I'll get a hotel room, store my luggage there, and get a decent night's sleep before heading out.

Last edited:
Quick question - does anybody know if the Shilo Inn Hotel has free wireless in the rooms or in the hotel?

EDIT: Also - is there anything fun to do in Ontario or Pomona? The Ontario Mills Mall looks somewhat iffy. My flight doesn't leave until 6am after the interview. If there's nowhere to go, I might consider simply sleeping in the airport. If there are things to see, then I'll get a hotel room, store my luggage there, and get a decent night's sleep before heading out.

I stayed in the Shilo Inn (not the suites) and I was thoroughly unimpressed. The room itself was pretty nice however the rest of the hotel was antiquated and dingy. The main reason I decided to stay there was because of facilities (exercise room, pool, sauna) however they were a joke, and in a state of disrepair. I can't comment on the pool because it was someone chilly when I visited.

Finally the breakfast (eggs, bacon, potatoes, and cold items) is in the building across the street so plan on spending some time getting there. Also, as I was eating I had a roach scurry underneath my table, which at that point I just laughed and finished my eggs. Needless to say I wouldn't stay there again. Hope this helps.

FYI- There's nothing to do in Pomona. I took a late flight (I flew out of LAX) and visited Venice Beach on the way back to the airport, which was well worth it. The boardwalk is full of different shops, restaurants, bars and the most eclectic conglomeration of people you will ever see.

Has anyone from the Feb 6th interview date not heard back yet? Should we take that to be a bad sign?

Thanks

its been about 7 weeks since i interviewed. is it a bad sign that the adcom has STILL not discussed my file?

Sheraton. Everything was perfect: room, service, restaurant. They also offer free transportation to/from airport and WesternU

Hey anyone thinking of living in Claremont? I heard their residents have access to the Claremont colleges libraries, and is about a 15-20 min drive away fr school. Let me know, possibly looking for a roomate.

Last edited:
I decided to go to Western and already made my deposit.... but still waiting on one more school.

All in God's hands now... :)

Congrads on all the acceptances! So just curious, which school are you picking and why?

Hey anyone thinking of living in Claremont? I heard their residents have access to the Claremont colleges libraries, and is about a 15-20 min drive away fr school. Let me know, possibly looking for a roomate.

I'm def. thinking Claremont as well. Closest thing we can find to a college town near Pomona. I just started my housing search so I'll relay any good info/finds.

Hooah! 3/18! Anybody else going in?

That's interesting.. so they only like to do a few interview dates each month?

Apevo: Yeah, I hear you. I'm waitlisted at my top (UMDNJ) and have two interviews coming up. At this point, it's unlikely I'll get any more. I'm going to start applying to post-bacc programs soon so that I'm not just sitting around doing nothing next year if I don't get in. Frustrating.

hi, if you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for western to get back to you about an interview after you turned in your secondary??? Robin from the office told me 3/18 was the last date for interviews. I'm still waiting on them and am getting worried I'm not getting an interview offer because it's close to the date.....

hi, if you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for western to get back to you about an interview after you turned in your secondary??? Robin from the office told me 3/18 was the last date for interviews. I'm still waiting on them and am getting worried I'm not getting an interview offer because it's close to the date.....

Complete Jan 15th, invited Feb 17th for the 3/18 interview date.

Best of luck. I hope you hear something soon.

Sounds good. Just pm me if you find anything. I really liked College Park Luxury Apt Homes but I'm not sure if it'll be avail in July. =/

I'm def. thinking Claremont as well. Closest thing we can find to a college town near Pomona. I just started my housing search so I'll relay any good info/finds.

Just called to ask my status and was told that I should hear from them in the next week or so. I'm guessing this is a bad sign since I have not been offered an interview and the last scheduled date is next Thursday. =(

fyi for those of you still waiting to hear back after interviews, I interviewd on January 14th and called today to ask about my status. the lady on the phone told me that the admissions committee wont make decisions till march 22nd :eek: and after that they will start sending out decision letters.

I asked why it was taking soo long and she said that they are checking their class size and just looking at applications more closely. maybe they're also waiting for the last interviews to be over...

fyi for those of you still waiting to hear back after interviews, I interviewd on January 14th and called today to ask about my status. the lady on the phone told me that the admissions committee wont make decisions till march 22nd :eek: and after that they will start sending out decision letters.

I asked why it was taking soo long and she said that they are checking their class size and just looking at applications more closely. maybe they're also waiting for the last interviews to be over...

really!!?? ugh..
i love the school but seriously 5-15 days to hear back =/= 2.5 months...

:thumbdown:

finally they've given us a date!