Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was placed on the alternate list ugh....I have at 3.3 and 32n, I interviewed on 3/18, and I don't think I did very well :/ damn procrastination....

Just wondering, are you OOS or instate? I have somewhat similar stats and interviewed on the same day.

Members don't see this ad.

For those who get accepted make sure to join COMP 2014 on Facebook and westernuforum.com

Members don't see this ad :)
If the standard track is full, why are they making all of us suffer like this?

.,,because it's not quite as simple as 'class full, thus everyone else is on the waitlist.' They stilll need to decide if they want to hand out any advanced acceptances for next year.

Deferred acceptance for 2011 for me! My letter said the class was full and that everyone they were waiting on to submit a deposit did so. Dangit...now I don't know whether to wait a year and stay in CA or start med school OOS. Anyway, good luck to those still waiting!

i just called and they said my decision was mailed out yesterday so for me it will be here today or tomorrow, at long last! i could have been told over the phone, but i have opted to wait for the mail so my significant other can open it and tell me......best to all!!!!! :D

i just called and they said my decision was mailed out yesterday so for me it will be here today or tomorrow, at long last! i could have been told over the phone, but i have opted to wait for the mail so my significant other can open it and tell me......best to all!!!!! :D

Great. Now I'm going to flub all my experiments at work... ::hyperventilates::

Deferred acceptance for 2011 for me! My letter said the class was full and that everyone they were waiting on to submit a deposit did so. Dangit...now I don't know whether to wait a year and stay in CA or start med school OOS. Anyway, good luck to those still waiting!

Same here...tough decision :lame:

I wonder what this means for people currently on the waitlist?? Doesn't seem like a good thing... :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey I'm in the same boat as you and I decided to wait the year. Did they tell you what position you were at for the deferred acceptance list for this year. They would not tell me I figured they don't know yet.

Hey I'm in the same boat as you and I decided to wait the year. Did they tell you what position you were at for the deferred acceptance list for this year. They would not tell me I figured they don't know yet.

Where do you guys live? I still haven't gotten anything in the mail. I'm from Oceanside.

Hi guys. I interviewed 2/18 and was accepted to the NW Track last week. I will be declining the offer, so good luck to all!

Where do you guys live? I still haven't gotten anything in the mail. I'm from Oceanside.

I'm in CA. I called them today and they said they mailed my letter yesterday and that I should be getting it tomorrow or the day after :eek:

Got the letter today! Deferred admission!!! Yeay!!!!! :D

Yes it is. I really should be more greatful, I mean I am, but a year is a really long time. I'm kinda bummed...
Yeah it not a terrible thing. just delaying the dream for another year. Assuming you didnt get in or want to go anywhere else.

I didnt even get an Interview. Kind of bummed about it, but its ok. I took an acceptance elsewhere.

I must say it was so much nicer having the "cushion" of this forum to forewarn me about the decisions so many thanks to everyone who contributed!

Not surprisingly at this point, I was also deferred---another year to work, gain more life experiences, and tie up loose ends before all the fun begins at school--- however still a bit strange to me, it's nice to know that all I have to do is give them money and i'm set :)

Last edited:
Congrats on the deferred admissions. Remember, a deferred admissions is better than spending another few thousand playing Admissions Roulette (I'm trademarking this by the way) again. Also remember, the deferred admissions group is at the front of the waitlist. There's still a chance that some of you will make it in for next year, so get your deposits in ASAP.

Congrats on the deferred admissions. Remember, a deferred admissions is better than spending another few thousand playing Admissions Roulette (I'm trademarking this by the way) again. Also remember, the deferred admissions group is at the front of the waitlist. There's still a chance that some of you will make it in for next year, so get your deposits in ASAP.

I asked if turning in deposits early makes a difference and the counselor told me it doesn't change anything on this years waiting list.

Last edited:

If you have another acceptance, I would take it. One thing the deferred acceptance people might want to keep in mind is the yearly salary you are putting off by waiting. That's a $150k+ decision! In talking to doctors, most say that the school you go to doesn't matter as long as it gets you to the residency you want. So if you have another option and you feel it provides chances for good residencies, it's definitely worth considering.

Does anyone know what to do about financial aid? I submitted my FAFSA in late February, but aside from getting the email about tuition, I haven't heard anything else. Should I be doing something right now or do I simply wait until the school releases more information? I'm pretty confused.

Does anyone know what to do about financial aid? I submitted my FAFSA in late February, but aside from getting the email about tuition, I haven't heard anything else. Should I be doing something right now or do I simply wait until the school releases more information? I'm pretty confused.

I asked the financial aid office and was told "Our office will be generating award letters within the next few weeks which will outline your loan eligibility along with the cost of the program. Please continue to check your WesternU email address for further information."

This was in an email dated 31 March.

I asked if turning in deposits early makes a difference and the counselor told me it doesn't change anything on this years waiting list.

That's what I was told. I wonder how many people they offered these deferred acceptances to

That's what I was told. I wonder how many people they offered these deferred acceptances to

I wonder if ANYBODY from these recent admissions decisions has gotten an acceptance. I was at the last interview date (3/18). We were told that the class was only 75% full.

I wonder if ANYBODY from these recent admissions decisions has gotten an acceptance. I was at the last interview date (3/18). We were told that the class was only 75% full.

That's what they told us on 1/14. lies...

I know! Something fishy's going on...

Well, I guess I would rather have been told that there were seats open than not on my interview date. If I'd be told I was interviewing for a deferral at best, I probably would've just flubbed the whole thing.

Sigh.

Well, I guess I would rather have been told that there were seats open than not on my interview date. If I'd be told I was interviewing for a deferral at best, I probably would've just flubbed the whole thing.

Sigh.

If I had known I was interviewing for a deferral seat I wouldn't even have attended lol

If I had known I was interviewing for a deferral seat I wouldn't even have attended lol

I just biked home from work for the sole purpose of checking for any mail from WCOMP.

Through the window in my mailslot, I could see a thick brown envelope. My heart skipped a beat. I even checked the mailslot to make sure it was mine and not my neighbor's.

It turned out to be from an SMP I requested info from a month ago.

So mad. So very mad right now.

Edit: Oh my god. I just got the call (sent in a letter of acceptance from another school b/c deposit is due and WCOMP's letter still hasn't made it to Michigan).

The officer said that there have been other acceptances sent out so if you're still waiting, best of luck to you. Also, best wishes to all still on the waitlists as well.

Last edited:
I was wondering if you SDN folks can help me. I got a deferred acceptance to Western as well, however, i was very fortunate to get accepted to LECOM-B as well. So my the big issue is whether to attend FL this year or wait a year for CA. I know ultimately it's my decision and where I feel best fits me, however I would like ideas of other things to consider, particularly about rotations and clinical exposure. I feel that Western would provide more opportunities in that area than Bradenton, as Bradenton is a still growing school. Could anyone with possible 3rd year experience comment on this issue or if i'm just over thinking and ultimately it's up to me how hard i study, regardless of where i go. I know someone mentioned earlier it doesn't matter the school, but it does matter on rotations that prepare you for residencies. Thanks SDN and whoever can help me figure this life altering decision.
Also, I am from CA and am very open to the idea of practicing in my home state.

I was wondering if you SDN folks can help me. I got a deferred acceptance to Western as well, however, i was very fortunate to get accepted to LECOM-B as well. So my the big issue is whether to attend FL this year or wait a year for CA. I know ultimately it's my decision and where I feel best fits me, however I would like ideas of other things to consider, particularly about rotations and clinical exposure. I feel that Western would provide more opportunities in that area than Bradenton, as Bradenton is a still growing school. Could anyone with possible 3rd year experience comment on this issue or if i'm just over thinking and ultimately it's up to me how hard i study, regardless of where i go. I know someone mentioned earlier it doesn't matter the school, but it does matter on rotations that prepare you for residencies. Thanks SDN and whoever can help me figure this life altering decision.
Also, I am from CA and am very open to the idea of practicing in my home state.

Trunks -- I was recently in your position (deferred @ MSUCOM w/ acceptance at LECOM). Here are the things I found most important to consider:

1) What are your objectives? Do you want to go into a speciality? Do you want to try and maximize your skills as a clinician? Maybe you're really into research instead. Would you like to work with urban populations? Those aren't things you have to consider, but I'm giving examples. Do you think that the school you're accepted to could give you a reasonably good shot at reaching your goals relative to the school you're deferred at? How significant is the difference?
2) What else is important to you? Cost? Environment? Atmosphere at the school? # of people per cadaver? Class size? Rotations?
3) Do you have anything that you could line up for a year if you deferred? Would you do research? Work? Move to Colorado, work at a ski shop and snowboard all year? Or, would you sit in your apartment doing nothing but eating Cheetos?

Finally - don't listen to the people who say that it's a no-brainer, that you'll lose a year of salary. Your objective, seemingly, is to find a school that fits you, to find a place where you'll have solid chances at success. You've got the idea already that this is your life. In the end, nobody on SDN will have to live with the decisions you've made.

I don't know if you've seen it but you should read this thread if you need a review of the schools in question.
http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=407104&

[Q

Edit: Oh my god. I just got the call (sent in a letter of acceptance from another school b/c deposit is due and WCOMP's letter still hasn't made it to Michigan).

Congrads! So just curious, are you going to Western or the other school?:thumbup:

so there were actual acceptances offered for this year? not deferred acceptance, but ones where you will start *this* August?

congrats^nth if you got that!!!!!!

so there were actual acceptances offered for this year? not deferred acceptance, but ones where you will start *this* August?

congrats^nth if you got that!!!!!!

Yes! The officer said that actual acceptances were offered... my stats aren't stellar (35S coupled with a 3.38 gpa.. although I do think I gave the best interview performance of my life), so I bet there are at least a couple of others on SDN who are just aren't willing to disclose.

I'm a little nervous now.. have to wait for the actual letter to come in.

Have you thought of any plans yet?

So I wonder why they say the class is full when they still offer acceptances for this year. How do they pick who gets accepted for this year's class and who gets a deferral? Does anybody know?

So I wonder why they say the class is full when they still offer acceptances for this year. How do they pick who gets accepted for this year's class and who gets a deferral? Does anybody know?

They probably expected the class to be full by the time the first decision letters made it to the hands of applicants. As I said a few days ago, WCOMP isn't the only school to have said something like "the class is full" while having acceptance letters float in the postal system.

As far as picking goes... it's probably like all other medical school acceptance decisions.

According to one poster, it's different this year, but last year it was all about deposits. If your deposit comes in before the class filled up then you were good. If it comes in after the class fills up, then you go on the deferred list. I don't have my acceptance letter anymore (thinking back, I probably should have saved and framed it :D), but the acceptance letter itself made mention of this.