Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by Siggy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Congrats! I chose Nov 4th also. See you there doctorpurple 🙂
By the way, are you interviewing at NOVA on 10/7? If you are, I'll be there as well haha

Sounds great! Actually my scheduled interview in NOVA is on October 14th. I have an interview in LECOM brandenton on the 8th. Congrats by the way!!
 
I interviewed 9/23. It was a long day but relaxing. They ask pretty basic questions at the interview, nothing tricky for me at least. Know what you wrote on both your primary and secondary because they asked me one specific thing on it about serving the underserved.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed 9/23. It was a long day but relaxing. They ask pretty basic questions at the interview, nothing tricky for me at least. Know what you wrote on both your primary and secondary because they asked me one specific thing on it about serving the underserved.

Thanks for your input 👍

What was the schedule for the day and interview format?
 
Thanks for your input 👍

What was the schedule for the day and interview format?


No problem! They told us to arrive at 8:15. They started at 8:45 introducing us to how they send out acceptances etc., then they move on to talk about the curriculum (2nd year is basically PBL), and financial aid. Then you go on a campus tour. From 12-1 you have lunch with two 2nd years. 1:30-3:30 are interviews. If your interview is at 3:30, then you will basically be waiting from 1:30 until 3:30. The interviewer comes out and calls your name and you go into a room. I was interviewed by two people.
 
No problem! They told us to arrive at 8:15. They started at 8:45 introducing us to how they send out acceptances etc., then they move on to talk about the curriculum (2nd year is basically PBL), and financial aid. Then you go on a campus tour. From 12-1 you have lunch with two 2nd years. 1:30-3:30 are interviews. If your interview is at 3:30, then you will basically be waiting from 1:30 until 3:30. The interviewer comes out and calls your name and you go into a room. I was interviewed by two people.

You weren't kidding when you said it was a long day :laugh:

Thanks, and I hope you get accepted!

edit: How long was your interview?
 
What are my chances applying this late?

3.4/3.28 (3.7/3.68 Junior Year)
31R MCAT
Letter by Western Associate Professor (MD)
Letter by Western Alumni (DO)
Father (MD) is faculty at main teaching hospital
Good ECs
 
You weren't kidding when you said it was a long day :laugh:

Thanks, and I hope you get accepted!

edit: How long was your interview?

Thanks! My interview was exactly 30 minutes long. It felt a lot shorter than that though, and I wouldn't even say that my interviewers were the nicest out of the many that were interviewing our group.
 
What are my chances applying this late?

3.4/3.28 (3.7/3.68 Junior Year)
31R MCAT
Letter by Western Associate Professor (MD)
Letter by Western Alumni (DO)
Father (MD) is faculty at main teaching hospital
Good ECs

You never know unless you try. Western just started handing out interviews pretty recently too, so you're not too late.
 
Thanks! My interview was exactly 30 minutes long. It felt a lot shorter than that though, and I wouldn't even say that my interviewers were the nicest out of the many that were interviewing our group.

Awesome, thanks!
 
What are my chances applying this late?

3.4/3.28 (3.7/3.68 Junior Year)
31R MCAT
Letter by Western Associate Professor (MD)
Letter by Western Alumni (DO)
Father (MD) is faculty at main teaching hospital
Good ECs

you are late by SDN standards but not real life standards. you should be fine.
 
have they only invited/completed 1 wave of interviews so far? still waiting to hear for an interview...
 
you are late by SDN standards but not real life standards. you should be fine.

Agree -- I was complete 1/15, interviewed on the last date (3/18?? Feels like another life), and was totally fine. Always keep your head up and push until the very end, even if you're sitting at an interview and everything looks bleak. That's how it was for me, anyway.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think they only give out interviews by phone, but I was called on a Saturday morning.

Oh man, until I read that comment, saturdays were the only day I slept a good 6 hrs! (I work graveyard, so I sleep from 9 to like 1pm), there goes that sleep!
 
For anyone who interviewed on 09/23, they told us they would send out the decision letters after they met on Wednesday (10/02). I called them and they said they aren't sending the letters out for another 3 weeks. However, I called them yesterday and told them that I would like to know my decision ASAP b/c I have other school interviews lined up (coming up soon...10/05) that I would not attend if I were to be accepted. They returned my call informing me of my decision.
 
Last edited:
Oh man, until I read that comment, saturdays were the only day I slept a good 6 hrs! (I work graveyard, so I sleep from 9 to like 1pm), there goes that sleep!

That must suck working graveyard. Don't stress too much though, if you miss the call, just call them back. I didn't schedule my interview the day they called me anyway and it was fine.

Also, anyone got any reasons why I should really check out Western? I'm thinking about cancelling my interview here. I already have an acceptance at DMU and Western is quite far from my home state and the cost of living is pretty high in Cali.
 
For anyone who interviewed on 09/23, they told us they would send out the decision letters after they met on Wednesday (10/02). I called them and they said they aren't sending the letters out for another 3 weeks. However, I called them yesterday and told them that I would like to know my decision ASAP b/c I have other school interviews lined up (coming up soon...10/05) that I would not attend if I were to be accepted. They returned my call informing me of my decision.


And the decision was...?
 
That must suck working graveyard. Don't stress too much though, if you miss the call, just call them back. I didn't schedule my interview the day they called me anyway and it was fine.

Also, anyone got any reasons why I should really check out Western? I'm thinking about cancelling my interview here. I already have an acceptance at DMU and Western is quite far from my home state and the cost of living is pretty high in Cali.


I think everyone's reasoning behind why a school is higher on their list is different, but for me personally its the location, rotation site being in socal, and being close to home play a huge role.

p.s.

Congrats Sloh!
 
I think everyone's reasoning behind why a school is higher on their list is different, but for me personally its the location, rotation site being in socal, and being close to home play a huge role.

p.s.

Congrats Sloh!

That is certainly true about what makes a school higher on someone's list than others. I was referring to more of maybe what Western has to offer as an institution, something that may make the distance from home or cost worth it. So far I haven't found anything that really jumps out at me, but I could've overlooked it.

And congrats sloh!
 
That is certainly true about what makes a school higher on someone's list than others. I was referring to more of maybe what Western has to offer as an institution, something that may make the distance from home or cost worth it. So far I haven't found anything that really jumps out at me, but I could've overlooked it.

And congrats sloh!

honestly, DMU is right next to Western and Chicago for my top choices so short of the location I have nothing as far as trying to justify Western over DMU since I live in socal.
 
not to beat a dead horse, but does anyone know if western has only completed 1 wave of interviews so far? have they started inviting more applicants to interview since the 9/23 date? i'm not sure if they've notified more people or not...
 
Western U Pomona: AutumnChild (ii:9/18, i:11/04), Sinfest (ii: 09/24, i:10/07), doctorpurple (i: 11/04)

From the interview thread. So yes, they are already sending interview invites for dates in November so I'd assume that quite a few invites have already gone out.
 
not to beat a dead horse, but does anyone know if western has only completed 1 wave of interviews so far? have they started inviting more applicants to interview since the 9/23 date? i'm not sure if they've notified more people or not...

I believe 9/23 was the first, and only, completed interview date so far.

Yes, they have invited more applicants to interview since then. I received a call on 9/24 for an interview on 10/07. According to doctorpurple, 11/04 is another interview date.

Best of luck 👍
 
Western U Pomona: AutumnChild (ii:9/18, i:11/04), Sinfest (ii: 09/24, i:10/07), doctorpurple (i: 11/04)

From the interview thread. So yes, they are already sending interview invites for dates in November so I'd assume that quite a few invites have already gone out.

Yeah, just thinking about Western sending out interviews and me sitting here with non is killler!
 
honestly, DMU is right next to Western and Chicago for my top choices so short of the location I have nothing as far as trying to justify Western over DMU since I live in socal.

Thanks for your input wolverinepwns, I'll probably wait a another week and see if anyone else has any comments about it but i will most likely be withdrawing from my interview. Hopefully it goes to you or someone else who'll benefit from it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got accepted. Just didn't think it was necessary to say it lol.

Congrats!!! Well, you can't allude to it and then leave us hangin'! Sheesh!

honestly, DMU is right next to Western and Chicago for my top choices so short of the location I have nothing as far as trying to justify Western over DMU since I live in socal.


Yeah, I agree. Location is a plus, but for me it's going to come down to the school and how I feel about it. The campus location is only temporary, but what you learn there and, ultimately, what you get out of the education is going to be with you for a while... I think all three of your top schools are all great schools though.
 
That must suck working graveyard. Don't stress too much though, if you miss the call, just call them back. I didn't schedule my interview the day they called me anyway and it was fine.

Also, anyone got any reasons why I should really check out Western? I'm thinking about cancelling my interview here. I already have an acceptance at DMU and Western is quite far from my home state and the cost of living is pretty high in Cali.

Hey, WCOMP Class of 2014 checking in.

I'm originally from Michigan and fell in love with UMDNJ early on in the application. If I had gotten into UMDNJSOM I would've cancelled my WCOMP interview, but, I got waitlisted.

I remember when I stepped out of my hotel shuttle the morning of the interview. Sunny. Palm trees. My flight had landed at Ontario airport the night before so I hadn't had the chance to get a look at my surroundings.

I wanted to hate Western. Truly, I did. It would've made things so much easier. I would've been able to go home and focus all of my hopes and expectations on UMDNJ.

By the end of the day, I realized that, no, I really didn't hate the school. Actually, it was pretty great. "Tied for first place in the barren wasteland that is my brain"-sort of great. I eventually got accepted to both schools. I struggled for a while, but the main issue for me was cost. UMDNJ was cheaper. I liked WCOMP a bit more. In the end, I gave in and went where I thought I'd be happy.

I don't know if I've ever been so happy in my whole life. Let's not get me wrong - WCOMP is still a medical school. It's hard. The school sometimes does things that aren't perfect. It's unbearably hot in SoCal sometimes. On the other hand, there's nowhere else I'd rather be. Even when it's bad and I haven't slept well in days and all I want is a home-cooked meal, a nap, and my laundry to magically do itself, it's good.

I don't know what your priorities in searching for a school are, so I don't know if you'll have the same reaction as me. There are people in my class who can't wait to graduate and get away. I just know that the school fit me. It had everything I wanted, and moreover, it just felt right. I'll spare everybody the hassle of having to read a huge post, so I'll only list a few of the things I liked about the school. If you want more info, PM me.

1) Strong board scores and diverse match list. I know that people say not to put too much stock in the match list, but it seems like WCOMP sends graduates all over the place. I don't know where I'll end up in the future, but if I want to know that I have options. I'm not ready to say I'll settle down in one place.

2) Amazing standardized patient lab (where you talk to actors/actresses). I think this is the reason for WCOMP having top board scores during the 2nd board exam. Learning to communicate effectively is also a priority of mine, so I really wanted to get experience from the lab instead of trying settling into possible bad habits in practice.

3) Expansion. Western was one of the few schools I was at where it felt like there was active growth / achievement. They keep tweaking things. I'd rather have that and the inevitable mistakes associated with it instead of an institution where the administration isn't particularly concerned about improvement.

4) Environment. I'm a rural kid. Even though I might go back to a rural area, I want to see something new. I want to see how people think outside of a sleepy small town. I want to see what it's like to be in an urban healthcare setting. I want to see what kind of illnesses and ailment people can get from fast-paced city life.

5) Curriculum. This is pretty much just for me I think, but I like some of the additions and improvement in COMP's classes. There are things like Interprofessional Education. I don't know how effective the class will be but I firmly believe that I'll never be a proper doctor unless I can work effectively with people from other professions. They're working case-studies and such into the curriculum (which is making people cry, but that's another topic of discussion entirely - I tried the mock-PBL session at LECOM and thought it was ridiculously fun. Kind of like playing "House: The Game."). They have Standardized Patients, and it's not a once-in-a-while thing - I feel like I see them enough to be getting some real practice off of them. We're only doing basic things so far but I'm beginning to get a feel for what a doctor's visit is supposed to be like - how I'm supposed to manage my time, what basics I should be thinking about, etc.

ANYWAY.

My point is that you should do some more research. If you decide that COMP is okay and you have some extra cash and time, I'd suggest just coming for the interview. You'll never know otherwise.

I'll end by saying that the cost of living in Cali is.. yes, it's higher. Rent is higher, anyway. Gas is ~$3.00 right now. Utilities feel about the same, although most apartments here charge for stuff like sewer and garbage (never happens in Michigan). Tuition... well, yeah. It'll hurt. However, I did my own calculations and found that if you're willing to not do things like, say, buy a Mercedes right when you finish residency, you will be fine. You will be able to pay your loan and have a solid chunk left over. If you can get a loan from your family or save and not use loans to pay for your first year living costs, that'll help a lot as well.

So, since the only other important thing to pay for besides those things is food, I'll talk about that.
1) If you shop at the usual American chain groceries, it's going to hurt. Milk in Michigan is under $2/gal. I think it might even be $1.75 usually. At Albertson's here, it's ~$4. Go to an Asian or Mexican market (or an American chain in a heavily Asian/Mexican area) and you'll find that the food is not only sometimes better, but you'll find a ton of awesome ethnic items, and they'll all be cheaper. Seriously. Produce at HMart (a huge Korean supermarket) is absurdly fresh and cheap. Chorizo is made in-house at Jimenez Carniceria for $3 or less / lb (5 links).
2) Restaurants aren't too expensive. I think that there are just too many of them, so they have to be reasonably priced and GOOD or nobody will go. You can eat really well for $10. If you're adventurous, there is an endless supply of restaurants to try.

This was way longer than I wanted it to be. I need to study now.
 
Cheshyre, thanks so much for taking the time to post your thoughts. Western COMP is definitely my top choice and its always good to hear real students give the inside scoop. The only down side for me was cost, but I think you're right about going where you'll be happy. Hoping for an interview invite soon!:xf:
 
Cheshyre, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Now, you've made this harder on me! Lol. Up until your post, I really had written off Western. I would at least like to visit the school at but I have 8 interviews, 6 out of state and my wallet is dying. (I am in by no ways complaining about getting interviews though.) The whole you just know when a school is for you makes me think of buying wedding dresses when they say, when you find the right one you just know! I don't think I've come across that "the one" school yet, well I did last year but they waitlisted me and I haven't heard from them this year yet. But anyway...i'm still on the fence. I think I'll be PM-ing you in the near future 🙂
 
Oh man I'm super nervious about getting an interview invite here now, since I got rejected from CCOM and haven't heard anything from DMU! Oh Western I live 2 minuters away from you PLEASE invite me!
 
Oh man I'm super nervious about getting an interview invite here now, since I got rejected from CCOM and haven't heard anything from DMU! Oh Western I live 2 minuters away from you PLEASE invite me!

Seriously though... no love for us UCLA folk so far. 🙁
 
Their interview season just started guys, so don't worry. I'm sure both of you will get invites soon 🙂
 
Just got to my hotel in Pomona. Kinda bored, kinda stressed...not sure if I'll be able to sleep tonight haha
 
Thanks, Cheshyre, for all the info! Definitely got me more hyped into Western.

Just keep waiting, UCLA folks. The deafening silence will only last so long, y'know?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cheshyre, I'm glad you liked Asian markets 😀 Haha..I live about 40 min drive-distance from Western-Pomona..and L.A. rocks! I know you are probably busy with school but you should definitely check out the city when you get time. You will be MORE amazed..🙂

Western hates UCLA people 🙁 ugh, still impatiently waiting on this one..give me some love, Western!!!! :xf::xf::xf:
 
Cheshyre, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Now, you've made this harder on me! Lol. Up until your post, I really had written off Western. I would at least like to visit the school at but I have 8 interviews, 6 out of state and my wallet is dying. (I am in by no ways complaining about getting interviews though.) The whole you just know when a school is for you makes me think of buying wedding dresses when they say, when you find the right one you just know! I don't think I've come across that "the one" school yet, well I did last year but they waitlisted me and I haven't heard from them this year yet. But anyway...i'm still on the fence. I think I'll be PM-ing you in the near future 🙂

Yeah, no problem, everybody. I just read through my post again and.. well, it's kind of embarrassing to see how disjointed / grammatically messed up it is.

This is the week from hell right now for 2014 - we've had 2 exams already and have a third on Friday. I'm pretty sleep deprived at the moment. Of course, I'm on SDN instead of trying to slog through what I have to get done.

ANYWAY - AutumnChild. I hope you figure it out. Just make sure that you're informed about where you're going. I think people who are the most unhappy at any school are the ones who come in with unrealistic expectations.