Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by Siggy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Update on the loan situation:

In another thread in the Pre-DO forum, somebody stated that there's a cap on the federal loans you can take out - it's something like $200K total, for all of your schooling (undergrad included). I'm not sure if that includes GradPlus.

Again, I'll say that if you're having FinAid difficulties you should call the Financial Aid Office ASAP. They're nice and they're good at what they do.
 
Has anyone tried calling in to see when the adcom is meeting to discuss last week interviews?

Yeah I called yesterday. They are meeting today. Hopefully we will get discussed in this adcom meeting. Seems like it takes a few meetings for a decision to be made on everyone. I interviewed on the 10th and they said it is very likely my application will be reviewed this time around. Good luck!
 
Yeah I called yesterday. They are meeting today. Hopefully we will get discussed in this adcom meeting. Seems like it takes a few meetings for a decision to be made on everyone. I interviewed on the 10th and they said it is very likely my application will be reviewed this time around. Good luck!

agree. I too interviewed on the 10th and they said i'll be reviewed today. just out of curiosity, were you one of the last people to interview on the 10th? cuz I wanna know if they review files randomly or in the order of interviews.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
agree. I too interviewed on the 10th and they said i'll be reviewed today. just out of curiosity, were you one of the last people to interview on the 10th? cuz I wanna know if they review files randomly or in the order of interviews.

Yea, I was the last in my group to interview....yourself?
 
I just received my secondary last week so I hope interviews are not finished! I would imagine if they just sent me a secondary that they should be at least interviewing through March and maybe April?

I would hope so too. I'd get the secondary done this weekend just to be safe!
 
i would call to make sure they are still having more interview days before submitting a secondary, I was told that my interview group on the 24th would be the last with a possibility of one in april so before you send a check out i would ask the advisors
 
sighhhhh. i interviewed Feb 10th, and just got the letter in the mail today (located in San Diego). Alternate status. From the looks of last years posts things don't look too good. Good luck to everyone else still in the cycle!
 
Last edited:
I'm becoming the neurotic pre-med I always prided myself on not being. Found this article through a google news search:

http://www.sys-con.com/node/1736183

I'm going to take the glass half-full attitude and read this as 40% of spots in Pomona might still be open.

Has anyone heard about another interview date?
 
I'm becoming the neurotic pre-med I always prided myself on not being. Found this article through a google news search:

http://www.sys-con.com/node/1736183

I'm going to take the glass half-full attitude and read this as 40% of spots in Pomona might still be open.

Has anyone heard about another interview date?

At my interview date they explained that after the end of Feb interview date, they will wait and see how many acceptances are given out and wait for deposits to be made and then they will decide how many remaining spots are open and go from there.
 
At my interview date they explained that after the end of Feb interview date, they will wait and see how many acceptances are given out and wait for deposits to be made and then they will decide how many remaining spots are open and go from there.

Adding on to that, they have yet to meet up to review the Feb 24th applicants. So don't worry too soon if you haven't heard from them.
 
Last edited:
Can any current medical students comment on the 3rd/4th year rotation sites? Is it more ward-based or preceptor-based? Thank you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know a couple 3rd years at westernu/comp who struggled big time on the comlex 1, (failed the first time), barely passing the usmle. As for rotation sites, they're telling me that all the UC med schools in so cal hog the good ones, not enough ward-based ones either, good luck
 
I know a couple 3rd years at westernu/comp who struggled big time on the comlex 1, (failed the first time), barely passing the usmle. As for rotation sites, they're telling me that all the UC med schools in so cal hog the good ones, not enough ward-based ones either, good luck

COMP also had a 99% pass rate on COMLEX 3 last year, but, you know, whatever.
 
lol I'm not saying I know the only ones failing, I'm sure there are many more. The school just hides it from you and shuvs comlex 3 pass rates at you. By the way comlex 1 is the most important when it comes to residency matching as it shows how much you really learned in the first two years of med school . On a side note, this year WesternU/comp introduced it's new case-based curriculum, I don't know about you guys but I'm not gonna be a guinea pig on this. Another thing about western is that they will actually kick you out of the school if you don't do well or accidently do something out of protocol, ask any 3rd or 4th year, I did.

I'm not trying to say only bad things about the school, i've seriously done my research and i know what im talking about. Just ask any current 3rd or 4th years!
 
lol I'm not saying I know the only ones failing, I'm sure there are many more. The school just hides it from you and shuvs comlex 3 pass rates at you. By the way comlex 1 is the most important when it comes to residency matching as it shows how much you really learned in the first two years of med school. On a side note, this year WesternU/comp introduced it's new case-based curriculum, I don't know about you guys but I'm not gonna be a guinea pig on this. Another thing about western is that they will actually kick you out of the school if you don't do well or accidently do something out of protocol, ask any 3rd or 4th year, I did.

I'm not trying to say only bad things about the school, i've seriously done my research and i know what im talking about. Just ask any current 3rd or 4th years!

As a current first year at WesternU/COMP, I ABSOLUTELY AGREE, my friend got kicked out for not following their stupid strict guidelines on one of his rotation sites, it freaking me out a little.
 
As a current first year at WesternU/COMP, I ABSOLUTELY AGREE, my friend got kicked out for not following their stupid strict guidelines on one of his rotation sites, it freaking me out a little.

Right. Let's see - account started yesterday. 4 posts as of 3/8/11, 11:16pm Pacific time. Every single post starting with "As a current first year at WesternU/COMP." Happens to know about a story involving expulsion due to deviating from an undisclosed rotation guideline. Also, I love this gem of a quote from him in another thread: "I am scared to walk at night around the school. I always think some black guy or hispanic will try to rob me".

Couple this with whining from a supposedly informed pre-med (also on a brand new account) who spells "shoves" as "shuvs." This pre-med, who refers to Western as WesternU/COMP as well, also apparently knows something about expulsion due to doing something against the rules during your 3rd/4th years. He's done his research. Seriously.

Sounds like a sockpuppet. My guess is that it's the same guy who got expelled, if that incident even happened.

FWIW, as an actual first year who's gone through case-based Blood & Lymph (which was started last year, by the way), I can say that it was fine. The class adjusted quickly to the new teaching style.
 
Last edited:
Right. Let's see - account started yesterday. 4 posts as of 3/8/11, 11:16pm Pacific time. Every single post starting with "As a current first year at WesternU/COMP." Happens to know about a story involving expulsion due to deviating from an undisclosed rotation guideline. Also, I love this gem of a quote from him in another thread: "I am scared to walk at night around the school. I always think some black guy or hispanic will try to rob me".

Couple this with whining from a supposedly informed pre-med (also on a brand new account) who spells "shoves" as "shuvs." This pre-med, who also refers to Western as WesternU/COMP, also apparently knows something about expulsion due to doing something against the rules during your 3rd/4th years. He's done his research. Seriously.

Sounds like a sockpuppet. My guess is that it's the same guy who got expelled, if that incident even happened.

FWIW, as an actual first year who's gone through case-based Blood & Lymph (which was started last year, by the way), I can say that it was fine. The class adjusted quickly to the new teaching style.

exactly my thought. pathetic.
 
lol I'm not saying I know the only ones failing, I'm sure there are many more. The school just hides it from you and shuvs comlex 3 pass rates at you. By the way comlex 1 is the most important when it comes to residency matching as it shows how much you really learned in the first two years of med school . On a side note, this year WesternU/comp introduced it's new case-based curriculum, I don't know about you guys but I'm not gonna be a guinea pig on this. Another thing about western is that they will actually kick you out of the school if you don't do well or accidently do something out of protocol, ask any 3rd or 4th year, I did.

I'm not trying to say only bad things about the school, i've seriously done my research and i know what im talking about. Just ask any current 3rd or 4th years!

As a current first year at WesternU/COMP, I ABSOLUTELY AGREE, my friend got kicked out for not following their stupid strict guidelines on one of his rotation sites, it freaking me out a little.


My vote is for this "MattBradler" being the same person as "JonMD26". Both talk about "the couple of guys they know" and start to engage in the same vague trashing of the school. Who knows, maybe this guy was rejected, waitlisted, or just wants to make himself feel good. What's sad is that all this person can come up with is this bizarre story of this inexplicable failing out due to some "accidental" breach of protocol during rotations.

Lame sauce! :laugh:

Oh that and - of all things - a jab at Western's rotation sites. Sorry dude, rotation sites are one of Western's many strong areas. I encourage everyone to take a really close look at Western's rotation sites. I did and I was so impressed with what I saw that I withdrew my other acceptances and cancelled my remaining interviews.
 
so western told me that i got approved for an interview in april but they havent scheduled it yet...what does that mean? its my number 1 but im gonna put down my deposit at AZCOM just to hold a spot and then possibly eat the $1000 if i get into western and decide to go there. does anyone know anything about later interviewers and getting accepted? i got my secondary in forever ago but western has lagged significantly and originally had the wrong letters in my file so that delayed it too. any advice would help. thanks!
 
Application complete: 11/4
Interview: 2/10
Accepted via snail mail: 3/9

Weird because I've been calling about my status since I had a deposit due at CCOM. Just today they told me to call again on Friday. Then I check the mail and the letter's there.
 
Application complete: 11/4
Interview: 2/10
Accepted via snail mail: 3/9

Weird because I've been calling about my status since I had a deposit due at CCOM. Just today they told me to call again on Friday. Then I check the mail and the letter's there.

Congrats!
 
Right. Let's see - account started yesterday. 4 posts as of 3/8/11, 11:16pm Pacific time. Every single post starting with "As a current first year at WesternU/COMP." Happens to know about a story involving expulsion due to deviating from an undisclosed rotation guideline. Also, I love this gem of a quote from him in another thread: "I am scared to walk at night around the school. I always think some black guy or hispanic will try to rob me".

Couple this with whining from a supposedly informed pre-med (also on a brand new account) who spells "shoves" as "shuvs." This pre-med, who refers to Western as WesternU/COMP as well, also apparently knows something about expulsion due to doing something against the rules during your 3rd/4th years. He's done his research. Seriously.

Sounds like a sockpuppet. My guess is that it's the same guy who got expelled, if that incident even happened.

FWIW, as an actual first year who's gone through case-based Blood & Lymph (which was started last year, by the way), I can say that it was fine. The class adjusted quickly to the new teaching style.


Hi Cheshyre,

Any pros and cons about that case-based curriculum that you wouldn't mind sharing with the rest of us? What you do like and don't like about it and any suggestions to the new class on handling the way the curriculum is set up? Thanks for all your input; you've been a great help! 🙂
 
Application complete: 11/4
Interview: 2/10
Accepted via snail mail: 3/9

Weird because I've been calling about my status since I had a deposit due at CCOM. Just today they told me to call again on Friday. Then I check the mail and the letter's there.

Hey congratsss

I also interviewed on the 10th and haven't received anything yet. can you tell me the date on your acceptance letter??? also what was the envelope like? normal size?? pretty heavy?? also where do you live?? I know these are pathetic questions but since the day I interviewed I've been checking the mailbox and I've been super stressed since.

I called today and asked about the status of my application and Ana (Anne?) without asking my name said the letters haven't been sent out yet and that they're waiting for the president's approval on Friday.

thanks and congrats again 👍
 
Hi Cheshyre,

Any pros and cons about that case-based curriculum that you wouldn't mind sharing with the rest of us? What you do like and don't like about it and any suggestions to the new class on handling the way the curriculum is set up? Thanks for all your input; you've been a great help! 🙂

Pros:
1) Extremely high retention of information. It's a game - patient comes in with symptoms you know nothing about. Petechiae? Hematuria? You go searching through databases, textbooks, whatever you can to find the info. When you find it, it will stick.
2) It's fun. Case-based learning turns studying into a game. You've got a patient who's coming in with weird stuff - fatigue, a fever that comes and goes, and weird little things in their red blood cells. If you were the doctor in charge of this patient, would you have the ability to take care of them?
3) Don't worry - everybody gets their information standardized. Self-study days and lecture days alternate. For the first day, you'll study the cases and figure them out. On the next day (lecture), you'll sit down for a quiz and then have a prof lecture to you on the cases. They'll show you what to focus on and you'll learn about anything you missed / got wrong.
4) As I said before, case-based learning isn't new. It's done at tons of schools around the nation (both DO and MD, including top ten medical schools) and has been done officially for at least two years at Western. My point is that it's not untested, nor is it a money issue since schools with more dollars than they can spend have case-based courses built into their curriculum.

Cons:
0) {this isn't really a con, but I thought it needed to be mentioned} Case-based learning is a pretty big departure from the traditional teaching methods that we grew up on. It's absolutely okay to be concerned about it. It is not, however, okay to dismiss it when you know nothing about it. That's referred to as "ignorance."
1) It sucks at first. Most of us (if not all) have never gone through this kind of teaching style. It does take a few days to adjust. Some people are able to adjust within the first night. Some need a couple of days.
2) It takes a lot of reading and time. If you're a fast reader, good at picking out important details, or have ADHD, it might actually be easier for you than regular lecture. If you're a slower reader, this style of teaching may be somewhat painful. That said, I have friends who are slower readers and did great.
3) Case-based learning really shines only when you have a good group. It's ideal to have a small group like in House (the show) where you can get together after working on the cases alone. You bounce ideas off each other, learn about different paths that other people looked into, etc, etc. It sounds dumb on paper but works shockingly well in real life. HOWEVER - having a bad group will make this really, really painful. It's not a big deal though because you're allowed to join or form any group you want. A few people choose to work alone. I tried it and found it to be a viable option, but, I don't think it's very efficient.

Anyway.

There was a lot of grumbling at first. Lots of people in the class thought that it was going to be a huge waste of time. I also heard the "we're paying tuition to teach ourselves" statement a couple times as well. By the end though, the general attitude was positive and the class average on the exams was really high. It's not suitable for all of the courses you'll take in med school, but, it's also not being used for all of the courses.

The best advice I can give is to go into it with an open mind. Time complaining is just time wasted. Everything has pros and cons. Being able to adjust quickly to whatever gets thrown at you means that you can take advantage of the pros and learn to dodge the cons earlier. Try to have some fun along the way.


Also - congratulations to those of you who've gotten into the class of 2015. For those who are still waiting, keep your chin up and don't stop trying to improve your application. There are people who made it into the school during Welcome Week. If the rejection letter isn't in your mailbox, you have a chance.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! My letter was dated March 7. It came in a standard envelope but it was pretty thick...there's like five or six pages in there. I live in LA so if you live further I'd just give it some time. I'm sure you'll get in...good luck!

Hey congratsss

I also interviewed on the 10th and haven't received anything yet. can you tell me the date on your acceptance letter??? also what was the envelope like? normal size?? pretty heavy?? also where do you live?? I know these are pathetic questions but since the day I interviewed I've been checking the mailbox and I've been super stressed since.

I called today and asked about the status of my application and Ana (Anne?) without asking my name said the letters haven't been sent out yet and that they're waiting for the president's approval on Friday.

thanks and congrats again 👍
 
Pros:
1) Extremely high retention of information. It's a game - patient comes in with symptoms you know nothing about. Petechiae? Hematuria? You go searching through databases, textbooks, whatever you can to find the info. When you find it, it will stick.
2) It's fun. Case-based learning turns studying into a game. You've got a patient who's coming in with weird stuff - fatigue, a fever that comes and goes, and weird little things in their red blood cells. If you were the doctor in charge of this patient, would you have the ability to take care of them?
3) Don't worry - everybody gets their information standardized. Self-study days and lecture days alternate. For the first day, you'll study the cases and figure them out. On the next day (lecture), you'll sit down for a quiz and then have a prof lecture to you on the cases. They'll show you what to focus on and you'll learn about anything you missed / got wrong.
4) As I said before, case-based learning isn't new. It's done at tons of schools around the nation (both DO and MD, including top ten medical schools) and has been done officially for at least two years at Western. My point is that it's not untested, nor is it a money issue since schools with more dollars than they can spend have case-based courses built into their curriculum.

Cons:
0) {this isn't really a con, but I thought it needed to be mentioned} Case-based learning is a pretty big departure from the traditional teaching methods that we grew up on. It's absolutely okay to be concerned about it. It is not, however, okay to dismiss it when you know nothing about it. That's referred to as "ignorance."
1) It sucks at first. Most of us (if not all) have never gone through this kind of teaching style. It does take a few days to adjust. Some people are able to adjust within the first night. Some need a couple of days.
2) It takes a lot of reading and time. If you're a fast reader, good at picking out important details, or have ADHD, it might actually be easier for you than regular lecture. If you're a slower reader, this style of teaching may be somewhat painful. That said, I have friends who are slower readers and did great.
3) Case-based learning really shines only when you have a good group. It's ideal to have a small group like in House (the show) where you can get together after working on the cases alone. You bounce ideas off each other, learn about different paths that other people looked into, etc, etc. It sounds dumb on paper but works shockingly well in real life. HOWEVER - having a bad group will make this really, really painful. It's not a big deal though because you're allowed to join or form any group you want. A few people choose to work alone. I tried it and found it to be a viable option, but, I don't think it's very efficient.

Anyway.

There was a lot of grumbling at first. Lots of people in the class thought that it was going to be a huge waste of time. I also heard the "we're paying tuition to teach ourselves" statement a couple times as well. By the end though, the general attitude was positive and the class average on the exams was really high. It's not suitable for all of the courses you'll take in med school, but, it's also not being used for all of the courses.

The best advice I can give is to go into it with an open mind. Time complaining is just time wasted. Everything has pros and cons. Being able to adjust quickly to whatever gets thrown at you means that you can take advantage of the pros and learn to dodge the cons earlier. Try to have some fun along the way.


Also - congratulations to those of you who've gotten into the class of 2015. For those who are still waiting, keep your chin up and don't stop trying to improve your application. There are people who made it into the school during Welcome Week. If the rejection letter isn't in your mailbox, you have a chance.

Thank you for the thorough explanation! 🙂 I hope everyone found it helpful as I did. I'll definitely keep your advice in mind when things start rolling!
 
sooo.......i applied to both Westerns, the one in Lebanon, OR and the Pomona campus.

Interviewed at the Lebanon campus because it was closer to my home and I got put on the wait-list......

If I am taken off the wait-list...does that mean I can only go to the Lebanon campus.......or could I possibly go to the Pomona campus instead?
 
sooo.......i applied to both Westerns, the one in Lebanon, OR and the Pomona campus.

Interviewed at the Lebanon campus because it was closer to my home and I got put on the wait-list......

If I am taken off the wait-list...does that mean I can only go to the Lebanon campus.......or could I possibly go to the Pomona campus instead?

The interview process for the Pomona and Lebanon are totally seperate, so if you're waitlisted for lebanon it only applies for that school and the same applies for Pomona campus.
 
you got a call?? what???

congrarz!!!

Yeah, they usually don't call people but if you have a verifiable time deadline (such as other medical schools to get back to) and let them know them know, they will give you a call. Good luck man. Hope you hear good news. Aloha
 
I got the acceptance call yesterday too! 😎 I'm definitely attending!

They called because I've been calling them a bunch since I have a deposit due for another school next week. They said the letter should be sent out today and arrive next week.

I interviewed on Feb 10th.
 
Does anyone know how many interview spots are left? I was complete back in December and I'm still waiting for an interview here.
 
Does anyone know how many interview spots are left? I was complete back in December and I'm still waiting for an interview here.


So far, they are waiting to go through all the current applicants to see how many spots are left. Accordingly, they just finished with the Feb 10th applicants and working on the Feb 17th applicants (a guess).

That being said, has anyone who interviewed on Feb 17th or Feb24th receive any sort of notification yet?

Edit: Was there even any interviews on the 17th?
 
Last edited:
i think the only interviews on Feb were on the 10th and the 24th



So far, they are waiting to go through all the current applicants to see how many spots are left. Accordingly, they just finished with the Feb 10th applicants and working on the Feb 17th applicants (a guess).

That being said, has anyone who interviewed on Feb 17th or Feb24th receive any sort of notification yet?

Edit: Was there even any interviews on the 17th?
 
Did anyone who has been accepted and is planning on attending receive an email on Friday acknowledging your withdrawal from the applications process? I did, and I responded that I (obviously, because I just sent my second deposit in) have not withdrawn. It kind of freaked me out, so I just wanted to see if it happened to anyone else. 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if anybody out there knows how much time students have between second and third years to take boards? Also, for any current students, did you feel this was enough time especially if taking both COMLEX and USMLE? Thanks!
 
^ I'm just a first year, so I know little, but I'm pretty sure we're done with classes in early May. The board exams are usually scheduled around mid-June. So we get roughly 5-6 weeks to prepare. Most students at Western take both the USMLE and the COMLEX. Earlier in the year we had a student presentation about the boards. The third-years said that they scheduled the USMLE about two-four days ahead of the COMLEX, and that the time they had in between was more than sufficient for them to prepare for the COMLEX.

So to recap:
1. There's ample time to prepare for the boards between second and third years
2. Most upperclassmen that take both exams schedule the COMLEX a few days after the USMLE and are fine with the time frame

I think it's also worth saying that studying for the USMLE prepares one for the COMLEX, everything minus the OMM at least. The OMM can be learned in a few days, or so I've heard.
 
Did anyone who has been accepted and is planning on attending receive an email on Friday acknowledging your withdrawal from the applications process? I did, and I responded that I (obviously, because I just sent my second deposit in) have not withdrawn. It kind of freaked me out, so I just wanted to see if it happened to anyone else. 😕

The withdrawal notice is for the other campus, so I would definately recheck that email and send them another email.
 
^ I'm just a first year, so I know little, but I'm pretty sure we're done with classes in early May. The board exams are usually scheduled around mid-June. So we get roughly 5-6 weeks to prepare. Most students at Western take both the USMLE and the COMLEX. Earlier in the year we had a student presentation about the boards. The third-years said that they scheduled the USMLE about two-four days ahead of the COMLEX, and that the time they had in between was more than sufficient for them to prepare for the COMLEX.

So to recap:
1. There's ample time to prepare for the boards between second and third years
2. Most upperclassmen that take both exams schedule the COMLEX a few days after the USMLE and are fine with the time frame

I think it's also worth saying that studying for the USMLE prepares one for the COMLEX, everything minus the OMM at least. The OMM can be learned in a few days, or so I've heard.

Thanks for the insight!
 
The withdrawal notice is for the other campus, so I would definately recheck that email and send them another email.

I called and it turns out that I'm about the biggest idiot in the world. I can barely say this I'm so mad at myself, but I wrote down the wrong due date for my second deposit. It was due March 1st and I sent it March 15th (the first was due January 15th). Needless to say, they released my spot.

Has anyone ever heard of this situation turning out okay? The Director is gone until Monday, so I can't do anything right now, but I could sure use some reassurance. I can't believe I messed THIS up...🙁