Western-COMP vs. Touro NV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

memberover9000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know there is a post about this for last year but I wanted to get more feedback, especially from applicants during this cycle. I was wondering what is your impression of these schools - what are the pros and cons of each, and which do you feel is a better fit for you and why? So far, this is the pros and cons list that I have for myself.

Western

-not very safe, kinda ghetto (I heard a lot of cars get broken into)
-relatively expensive cost of living, and most people have longer commutes to be in an area that they prefer
-systems-based learning which I do like better
-clerkships are largely in California but may be dispersed
-tests are not combined, and occur approximately every 2-3 weeks
-more people in California know about Western, which allows more networks and connections for residencies and other opportunities
-it is only 40 in away from my home, my family, and my friends (huge plus for me because I am really my family, friends, and SO are very very important to me)
-you only do half the dissections (it's not that bad for me because I am not really considering surgery as a viable option for me)
-more clubs and organizations
-larger class size (not sure if that's a good or bad thing)
-from my impression during interview day, they have a really good OMM facility with many staff and fellows to watch you

Touro NV
-Henderson, NV is much safer
-relatively inexpensive compared to areas surrounding Pomona
-board style exams every 3-4 weeks with combined subjects
-not systems-based learning
-clerkships are largely in Las Vegas so you don't have to move around as much during your 3rd and 4th year
-4 hrs away from home :(
-extreme weather conditions (hot, cold, and very windy considering I am from Socal)
-many Jewish holidays off to study
-Vegas is your play ground after exams
-laptop included with tuition
-from what I have heard, Touro NV has more services to prepare you for the boards, but I can be wrong
-smaller, more intimate class size

Both schools have:
-recorded lectures
-well-established clerkships that are somewhat easy to get
-open door policy with professors
-extensive student support such as free tutoring
-competitive residency match list
-lectures that are not mandatory

Am I missing anything? Anyway, thanks in advance for your feedback. In all honesty, I know that both schools have a really awesome D.O. program and I could see myself being happy at either one, but I just want to make the best informed decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Touro NV. nothing beats doing rotations in a big city. Vegas offers that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would think that COA for Western is more. It's about $79k/year and goes up a few thousand in 3rd/4th year. I just looked up Touro and it looks like tuition is $47k and living costs are $47k, so it's actually more expensive.

If you want to ultimately do residency and practice in CA, I think Western is the way to go. It's pretty well known around this area and offers options for ward based rotations, which I think is better than basically shadowing an uninterested preceptor.

Also, grading system is P/F, which I think is pretty cool. Also, if being around friends and family is important, Pomona is closer than LV.

Good luck!

The cost of attendance is honestly roughly the same. The tuition for Western is a little cheaper $50,845 while TUN is $55,016. However, the cost of living around the areas in Pomona are more expensive than at Henderson, NV so it becomes roughly the same COA.

I would think that COA for Western is more. It's about $79k/year and goes up a few thousand in 3rd/4th year. I just looked up Touro and it looks like tuition is $47k and living costs are $47k, so it's actually more expensive.

If you want to ultimately do residency and practice in CA, I think Western is the way to go. It's pretty well known around this area and offers options for ward based rotations, which I think is better than basically shadowing an uninterested preceptor.

Also, grading system is P/F, which I think is pretty cool. Also, if being around friends and family is important, Pomona is closer than LV.

Good luck!
Ahh, this is what I was thinking. Western is much more widely known in California, especially southern California, so I know that I would have many more opportunities for post-grad. Do you know if TUN has a similar reputation since it is still in the west coast and somewhat close to southern CA?

Do you know if TUN has a similar reputation since it is still in the west coast and somewhat close to southern CA?

I doubt it. TUN has been around since about 2005 while Western has been around since the '70s. I believe it was one of the first (if not the first) DO school in the western part of the U.S. So it wins in that regard I think.

I was told by someone that during their interview at WesternU, they were told that WesternU helps out TUN with rotation sites.

I just wanted to know if anyone has some last minute advice? I just got my acceptance to Touro NV and am now freaking out because I really like both schools. Any words of wisdom or advice is greatly appreciated! :)

I am mulling through the same decision. I have been accepted to COMP-Northwest and TUN here are my thoughts.

Western seemed much more equipped to train students early and often on how to handle and treat patients using things such as simulated patients, interprofessional education, and student groups who work in clinics. Whereas TUN does not do simulated patients till late year 2, and the only big time patient exposure I heard of in the first two years is through a summer trip to Guatemala.

TUN has a strong pitch that they can prepare you for boards with all the help aids they offer and with the combined tests every few weeks. They boast a 95+ percent passing rate for their students.

Those are some of the big points that I take from each school. I am leaning very strongly toward Western due to the fact that when I was there the school "felt more like me" than TUN did. I have a hard time letting TUN go because it is closer to home and family for me.

Hope this gives you a little more to think about.

I am mulling through the same decision. I have been accepted to COMP-Northwest and TUN here are my thoughts.

Western seemed much more equipped to train students early and often on how to handle and treat patients using things such as simulated patients, interprofessional education, and student groups who work in clinics. Whereas TUN does not do simulated patients till late year 2, and the only big time patient exposure I heard of in the first two years is through a summer trip to Guatemala.

TUN has a strong pitch that they can prepare you for boards with all the help aids they offer and with the combined tests every few weeks. They boast a 95+ percent passing rate for their students.

Those are some of the big points that I take from each school. I am leaning very strongly toward Western due to the fact that when I was there the school "felt more like me" than TUN did. I have a hard time letting TUN go because it is closer to home and family for me.

Hope this gives you a little more to think about.

Oh wow I honestly really never thought about those aspects about Western and it really has solidified my opinion to choose Western - I just recently sent in my first acceptance deposit! When I went to TUN, the atmosphere, the staff (administrative and faculty), and the student body actually felt more like me especially because it was smaller and more intimate, but as a whole, I think Western is a better choice for me - close to family and friends, great reputation, seemingly more opportunities during grad and postgrad. Thank you so much for your input Adoom, and good luck at COMP-NW!

Last edited:
Hello
sorry to bump to this thread. Im trying to decide between western comp and touro ca :/ my main concern is rotation sites and getting in to really good OBY/GYN residency!!!! Do you guys have any input? Thanks in advance :)

Hello
sorry to bump to this thread. Im trying to decide between western comp and touro ca :/ my main concern is rotation sites and getting in to really good OBY/GYN residency!!!! Do you guys have any input? Thanks in advance :)

I realllllllly liked Touro CA and Touro NV, and I honestly felt much more at home at both campuses and with the faculty. But, what made me decide Western is a better fit for me is because of Western's reputation in Southern California which will most likely open opportunities during medical school and especially afterwards. One thing that worried me about TUCOM is that they were very vague about the clerkships and they even said that they do not have very well-established sites during my interview because of competition with other med schools (UCDavis and UCSF). If those are your primary concerns, I believe Western is the best choice. Good luck!