1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Western U Qs

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by Z92, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Z92

Z92

Pre-Veterinary
    I have some questions for current students or applicants about Western University. I am trying to make my final decision about where to attend. I am new to posting, but not new to reading/stalking SDN. I know there have been several other threads about Western, but I have some more specific questions I was hoping for feedback on:

1) Does anyone know why exactly the accreditation was delayed until 2008?

2) Is the accreditation status negatively affecting students graduating in this year's class?

3) Does this year's class feel fully prepared and competent in comparison to their colleagues and friends from other vet schools?

4) Do current students consider it a large disadvantage that there is no teaching hospital at the school? Do you feel you are given the necessary animal contact and experience at other venues?

Thanks for your help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. twosoakers

twosoakers Addict & Western U '11
    7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    1. Yes. The committee who makes the call can't make it in til 2008.
    2. No. You graduate as though you are from an accredited institution. If you look at the boards, both UC Davis and Iowa lost accreditation in the last five years for various reasons and gained it back.
    3. I feel completely competent.
    4. You get to go anywhere your fourth year.

Many of these questions are answered by others on the Western thread.

4. chris03333

chris03333 Veterinarian
    7+ Year Member

1) already answered in another thread about Western, and the last poster
    2) No We are all doing fine, no problems, just like any other accredited AVMA school.
    3) Yes, We have had several rotations with students from other schools and feel equal
    4) Yes and no,
    Yes in that everyone will experience different things depending on where they choose to go.
    No in that you can go places sans interns and residents so you are one on one with the DVM and get a LOT more hands on experience. Oh and I got to go to Hawaii, Missouri, Davis (yes Davis takes Western students for rotations), all over the Los Angeles area, and am now currently at a zoo in Canada. You learn so many different ways of doing things. One thing I can say is different is when a preceptor ask me "how did you learn to do..." I do not have a straight answer, because I have been trained to do things in many ways since I am not at the same place.

5. soxbox

soxbox CSU PVM Class of '11
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    i have no idea how I stumbled upon this website, but it is a blog from a 2nd year student who is attending Western (and also trying to get donations to pay for her tuition) It may be of interest to any of you guys who will be going there next year :)

http://laurieatvetschool.blogspot.com/

6. Cheska

Cheska Monkey Power!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I :love: technology these days! Thanks for posting the link Sox, I'm happy for every bit of info that can be found for Western.
    I'm getting so hooked on reading all these blogs now (I can compare it to being hooked on a soap opera, have to see what is happening today!) going to have to chain up my computer so I can study for my next midterms...

Add: Hmmm, that is an "interesting" thing about the donations to pay tuition