Quantcast

Western University Feb. interview people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MercedesRX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
my post was regarding "calling them" not about the anxiousness of the wait. Of course all of us have the same feeling about the wait. My acceptance has nothing to do with this matter. I actually got place on hold the first time around. I had to wait for months just like all of you for my status. I however, did not ONCE call them about anything regarding where I stand in the hold/alternate or whatever place they placed me in.

So don't take my comment that just because i got in that i think you should all not be anxious. I myself have been in your shoes and i totally understand how much this means to you bc it probably means the same thing to me.

I'm just saying to all of those awaiting their seats...jsut wait. Don't bombard them with calls about this matter of waiting or where you stand or questions of that matter.

You all have to agree that some of the people on here are bombarding them with calls over the same issue and even though i don't work there, i can probably feel their pain when they get the same call over and over and over and over.

when i heard that i was placed on HOLD you know what i did? i actually just planned out what i was going to do the following year to improve my application because stressing over the wait and if i was goign to get in or not was not worth it for me since I'm still in scholl.

Seriously though, good luck to all of those who are waiting, and remember patience is a virtue.

Nicely said. Congrats Derrick. Looks like i'll be heading to Touro, already have room mates and looking for houses. Being an alternate at Western sucks especially considering there are more than 100 potential pharmacy students on the list.

derrickd5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nicely said. Congrats Derrick. Looks like i'll be heading to Touro, already have room mates and looking for houses. Being an alternate at Western sucks especially considering there are more than 100 potential pharmacy students on the list.

johnny keep the faith up man. We're suppose to go through 4 years at western together remember?

pcmanla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone gets email from financial office? did you finish all procedures? could you explain to me? i did complete online loan counseling requirement and SDS survey. is that all i need to do?
and do i send any documents? what document do i sent exactly?

derrickd5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
when exactly did you get a financial aid email? i've been waiting for it for a while now. I haven't gotten anything regarding loans or financial aid to this day. hopefully i'll get something soon. I'm still in the process of getting my physical and all my shots for them.

elysian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think we need to submit any document in yet. For now just complete the online entrance loan and the survey.

derrickd5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
crappy, what online entrance loan and survey. I barely got my letter regarding what i need to submit by june 1st.

derrickd5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
yesss.bump for my question..where do i fill out the entrace loan thingy and survey at?

elysian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Derrick, complete the entrance loan and the survey only if you received an email to complete them. If you have received an email to complete them, there is a brief instruction.

The entrance loan can be found on the financial aid site for western.
The survey is completed on BanWeb.

pharmgrl14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are any of you who have been accepted going to the Welcome Reception for new pharmacy students and their families on June 11th?

anh80

Going through PharmD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone, any new news regarding admission?

Members don't see this ad :)

jesterman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you hear about the welcome reception? I didn't get any news regarding that.

ooscubaoo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
did anyone get selected off the waitlist yet?

anh80

Going through PharmD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
did anyone get selected off the waitlist yet?

I heard of only one, but the problem is that it's a friend of a friend story from another SDNer(crystalpink), so i dont know how reliable it is.

ilovedimsum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I havent heard from them either. this is gonna be a loooonnng wait..:(

ilovedimsum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so r u still waiting for western or going to LLU?

Well..i already put my deposit down for LLU.. but i have to admit.. if Western accept me.. id love to go there... i doubt it though.. i did bad on my interview and essay.. and my stats are awfully low.. so yeah.. im probably not gonna get in..so im off to LLU.. =)

anh80

Going through PharmD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
western is sure taking their time w/ things.....I dont know.. the info on their website and on pharmcas seem to be misleading....Western's website says they took 83 students off the waitlist last year..but this year i still haven't heard of anything yet.:mad:

pharmgrl14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
western is sure taking their time w/ things.....I dont know.. the info on their website and on pharmcas seem to be misleading....Western's website says they took 83 students off the waitlist last year..but this year i still haven't heard of anything yet.:mad:

They didn't take 83 off their waitlist last year. They only took 34 or 36 off. The other were all acceptances without being on the waitlist. Say you were interviewed in the first group. You were offered acceptance and you declined it. That spot was then offered to someone in the 3rd interview group. That spot was offered to two people but it doesn't mean that person was taken off the waitlist. I'm afraid the chances are not quite as high as you are thinking for being pulled off the waitlist. But I wish you all the luck!:)

anh80

Going through PharmD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
They didn't take 83 off their waitlist last year. They only took 34 or 36 off. The other were all acceptances without being on the waitlist. Say you were interviewed in the first group. You were offered acceptance and you declined it. That spot was then offered to someone in the 3rd interview group. That spot was offered to two people but it doesn't mean that person was taken off the waitlist. I'm afraid the chances are not quite as high as you are thinking for being pulled off the waitlist. But I wish you all the luck!:)

o i c....then we r screwed:p :D

anh80

Going through PharmD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
were they serious about making us wait until mid july before calling the pepople on the waitlist?

PHARMD101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
were they serious about making us wait until mid july before calling the pepople on the waitlist?

The alternate placement is a good one! Just hold on and don't lose your focus. I have heard that not all accepted students have sent in their deposits - as they are still debating where to go or some other issues.

Believe me there are spots to fill - this year, with the rising tuition and high cost of everything, is causing many students to think extra carefully. A four year commitment and a big loan at the end is not exactly a fantasy idea.

All accepted students need to have their registration paperwork in order and cleared by June 1st - For some it will not happem - My opinion?....You should all start seeing students being pulled from the alternate list after June 1st.

I am curious to see how many students will make it to the June 11th welcome to Western U reception. Pls SDN acceptees, inform us of the count!

Stay positive guys - and gluck. :luck: :)

pharmgrl14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The alternate placement is a good one! Just hold on and don't lose your focus. I have heard that not all accepted students have sent in their deposits - as they are still debating where to go or some other issues.

Believe me there are spots to fill - this year, with the rising tuition and high cost of everything, is causing many students to think extra carefully. A four year commitment and a big loan at the end is not exactly a fantasy idea.

All accepted students need to have their registration paperwork in order and cleared by June 1st - For some it will not happem - My opinion?....You should all start seeing students being pulled from the alternate list after June 1st.

I am curious to see how many students will make it to the June 11th welcome to Western U reception. Pls SDN acceptees, inform us of the count!

Stay positive guys - and gluck. :luck: :)

Well I can say that I was accepted and all my paperwork is in. I am good to go. All acceptance deposits, I heard, had to be in by May 20th. But the June 1st deadline for immunizations and transcripts are not set in stone. I called because I was afraid it was going to be late and the lady said they just say June 1st but it really isn't due until July. I think they had more accept their spots and are at the point they need some to drop their spots. I think they are over their numbers currently. But good luck to those on the alternate list. I am sure some people with decline their spots soon. I think you will hear mid-july.

PHARMD101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I can say that I was accepted and all my paperwork is in. I am good to go. All acceptance deposits, I heard, had to be in by May 20th. But the June 1st deadline for immunizations and transcripts are not set in stone. I called because I was afraid it was going to be late and the lady said they just say June 1st but it really isn't due until July. I think they had more accept their spots and are at the point they need some to drop their spots. I think they are over their numbers currently. But good luck to those on the alternate list. I am sure some people with decline their spots soon. I think you will hear mid-july.

Thanks for your empathic thoughts and informing us how many spots are filled. Will you be attending the reception of June 11?

I know the alternate list is a large number above 150 - though one phone call could change things, right?

We are patient and we will wait.......after all, patience is a virtue! And that is the last thing any of us wants to lose at this time.

Thanks again for your input pharmgrl! :)

ilovepharm

:sulindac is super cool:
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Yikes, what paperwork???!! I'm usually on top of these things, but man, I've been SOOO out of the loop. Did Western send you guys a big packet with paperwork or something? All I got was a little letter, which... I didn't read too carefully.

pharmgrl14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yikes, what paperwork???!! I'm usually on top of these things, but man, I've been SOOO out of the loop. Did Western send you guys a big packet with paperwork or something? All I got was a little letter, which... I didn't read too carefully.

You are supposed to have your transcripts, medical history, and immunizations in by June 1st. They sent a letter after I sent in my deposit giving a web site address to go to and print out all the forms. It also gives you a checklist of what you need to get done. You better hurry and get your stuff in...If not you are going to make some people here on the waitlist very happy! :D Just kidding!

ilovepharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
You are supposed to have your transcripts, medical history, and immunizations in by June 1st. They sent a letter after I sent in my deposit giving a web site address to go to and print out all the forms. It also gives you a checklist of what you need to get done. You better hurry and get your stuff in...If not you are going to make some people here on the waitlist very happy! :D Just kidding!

AHHH :eek: This is what happens when I stop going on the forums for like 2 weeks?! They send me that little letter about my email account too but I don't recall it having anything urgent (like a due date) on there. Geebus. Welp, at least my finals are finally OVER though, wheeeee!!!

crystalpink

Bunny lover
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

If they call us in mid July, that's better.
Yes, they can make us wait even until the last day before the semester begins >___>. According to my friend, her friend got accepted to Western 2 or 3 days before the semester began after being placed in alternate list.

Isn't that cool? =_____=;;; </sarcasm>

anh80

Going through PharmD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

ilovepharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year my friend got accepted to Western just a mere 2 weeks before classes started! I really hope more of you get taken off the waitlist soon. For those of you who are waiting, is Western your first choice right now?

PHARMD101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year my friend got accepted to Western just a mere 2 weeks before classes started! I really hope more of you get taken off the waitlist soon. For those of you who are waiting, is Western your first choice right now?

Western is my second choice!

UOP is my #1 choice...........I dig the 3-year program! :cool:

crystalpink

Bunny lover
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
wait wait, is this last year or this year?
this one is another friend of mine, not the one i mentioned in the other topic.
and this one happened last year.

anh80

Going through PharmD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

siammidnitedrem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
western is my first choice and my only choice :( but i'm not going to hold my breath... i got accepted into colorado's summer pharmacy program so i'll be there for 2 months... The program is just a stepping stone to help improve my chances of getting into colorado next year but ... i much prefer western over colorado... western is just 20 mins from my house. COMMON WESTERN TAKE PPL OF THE ALT LIST!!!:D

PoisonRx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is very true about Western. I've worked with two pharmacists who are Western's graduates that got accepted into the program right before the semester began. One got the call 2 days in advance and the other just hours before class started. So, don't lose your faith everybody.

anh80

Going through PharmD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All of these stories are amazing thanks guys. But still, the number game for this year is quit a spirit braker. 150+ alts waiting for a few spots...the chance seems to be soooo dim.:(

If it helps, I'm on the alternate list, but going to USC. I would call them to take myself off, but I'd like to know if I could have made it anyway. So my spot won't be going to me anyway. I do apologize for the increased wait. (My guess it'll be, "Ok, that's a no for Farmercyst, what's the next phone number?")

happyface68

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
honestly, don't you think it's sort of inconsiderate to not take yourself off of the waitlist at western since u've already decided to attend USC? i'm not anyone to judge, but there are so many people anxiously waiting to go SOMEWHERE. i was one of them, and i'm sure u were too so u should understand the feeling. i remember not being able to sleep at night or continue with my normal activities. i was pretty lifeless.....

well that was just a thought...

anh80

Going through PharmD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

happyface68

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
have u been accepted, since i saw the "was" tense.

anh80-

Fortunately, i've been accepted. after going through such a rocky road to get into pharmacy school, i was finally accepted a couple of week ago. i totally understand what everyone's going through :( . but keep your faith everyone, and try not to "fall apart" because u'll need to be ready once u get accepted.

anh80

Going through PharmD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

happyface68

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So where r u going, Western? congrats! can i ask for ur stats and whats ur advice for reapplicants? I think i mgiht have to reapply.

oh ya, were u waitlisted too or got accepted straight after the interview?

anh80,
Actually I'm going to USC next fall. I did get accepted into western, though. I withdrew my application at western as soon as i received my acceptance letter from USC.
as for my stats:

overall GPA: 3.7
pre-pharm: 3.72
experience: worked at Walgreens and private pharmacy
and other extracurricular activities

i don't have enough experience to give you any advice, but here are some things i feel are important:

* if you do reapply (i hope u won't), turn in your applications SUPER EARLY to
increase your chances and show the pharmacy schools how serious you are.

* expose yourself to different aspects of pharmacy by volunteering/working at retail, hospital, etc. get to know the people you work with to obtain letters of recommendation or even for the sake of networking!

* KNOW about the field--do a lot of research about the current stats of pharmacy, etc. it's really helpful when answering questions at the interview.

* examine your own weaknesses and call the schools you have applied this year to ask for more advice.

sorry if i didn't help much, i'm sure u have already heard of these advices from other people.

siammidnitedrem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anh80... i'm pretty much in the same boat as you;) lets hope we both get in and off the waitlist.

I just talked to my friend who is going to western right now and her classmate there was pulled off the waitlist 2 weeks before school started so i'm thinking we'll have to wait till then. The chances of us being called wont be until august. BUT at least there is still hOPE!

But in the mean time... get the application process started (once again)!! What really got me last year were the letter of recs. It took the professors so long to turn them in! So may as well notify them now so that they'll have a good month to write it.

Also the supp. application can be a drag! But i learned my lesson from last year... dont wait till the night before to submit!! :laugh:

And thanks for teh advice Happyface68... i will definitly take it this year!