Western University Feb. interview people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was part of the feb 24 interview group. I received an alternate letter. I recently got accepted into touro university. Do you guys know the chances of gettin into western with an alternate status? I don't want to deposit $2,000 at touro and end up getting into western and withdrawing my application and losing $2,000 deposite!

Personally I would not leave my fate on chance. We don't know what number we are on the alternative list. We don't know how many people will be taken off the alternative list. So it stands to reason that we have no idea about our chances of getting admitted to Western. Unless you have been admitted somewhere else I would just pay the deposit on Touro. In the bigger scheme of thigs 2000 is not worth the risk that you might not get admitted to Western. Oh I thought someone posted that Western will be pulling off some people from the alternative list after May 1st so I would delay paying the deposit at touro as much as I can.

By the way, Can you tell me when you interviewed at Touro. I interviewed on Friday April 13th and was put on the alternative list. Just trying to find out if anyone from my interview group or anyone who was interviewed in April actually got accepted.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

depense on how many withdraw. if u got into another university(touro), then give others a chance to get in too. there are many of us who wish we were in ur shoes right now. some of us are still waiting and waiting for just 1 acceptance. sad, but very true.

people like me. Now waitlisted at 4 different schools, not one acceptance:oops:.

Members don't see this ad :)
people like me. Now waitlisted at 4 different schools, not one acceptance:oops:.

Redrose0786,
You're not the only one. I applied to 6 schools and got interviewed with 5 schools. And yet, I am still on the waiting lists.

that's better than my situation.
i applied to 4 schools, got waitlisted at 1 school only, no acceptance :laugh:

Has anyone been pulled off the alternate list yet?

Has anyone been pulled off the alternate list yet?

No word here either.
P-(

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi i'm new here and i've been reading responses for days and i finally decided that i shall contribute...

I am also on the alt list for western and i actually called up western today and they told me they havent pulled anyone off the alternate list yet :( so we'll have to wait some more....

Hi i'm new here and i've been reading responses for days and i finally decided that i shall contribute...

I am also on the alt list for western and i actually called up western today and they told me they havent pulled anyone off the alternate list yet :( so we'll have to wait some more....

Did they say WHEN they will be taking people off the list?

i just called them =/ as of right now they dont know when they will begin taking people off the alt list and they notify alt. of their change of status via phone... soooo if you are off the list... expect a phone call!

i just called them =/ as of right now they dont know when they will begin taking people off the alt list and they notify alt. of their change of status via phone... soooo if you are off the list... expect a phone call!

so they have pulled people already? ur sentence is kinda confusing:confused: :confused:

Did they say WHEN they will be taking people off the list?

good question redrose. didnt they say that they'll start pulling people by may 1st in our letters? what's the deal? does anyone know how many alternative letters they've sent out this year? Can someone find out? I called but never get anywhere w/ them.

also, if u can, someone ask WHEN WHEN WHEN are they gonna let us know....lol...i'm going insane bc of the wait. i hate this.

It's simple guys, they want the best candidates possible, so they leave people on the list/hold all the way up to the 2nd week of school.

It's simple guys, they want the best candidates possible, so they leave people on the list/hold all the way up to the 2nd week of school.

what is ur/the definition of the "best candidate possible"? I have a 3.4GPA over all, and ~3.6-3.7 for the prepharm stuffs, lots of leaderships and volunteering, and yet i'm still waiting...what's the deal? so, i'm kinda confuse on the part of "best possible candidate".....

what is ur/the definition of the "best candidate possible"? I have a 3.4GPA over all, and ~3.6-3.7 for the prepharm stuffs, lots of leaderships and volunteering, and yet i'm still waiting...what's the deal? so, i'm kinda confuse on the part of "best possible candidate".....

I know what you mean. I am sooo frustrated.

Best possible candidate is based on how your application/interview was scored. Each applicant is given a numerical score based on different criteria on your application and from your interview, the higher the score, the higher your position on the list. They're probably waiting for the rest of the alternate confirmations (The "yes I want to be on the list" forms we sent in) before they make a final ranked list. From there we just have to wait for people to start rejecting them. Now the updates by phone is what I want to know about. Are they going to call us all to tell us our rank and call everyone of us again when someone is taken so that we can find our new rank? Or do they only call whoever's at the top of the list to let them know they've now been accepted and the rest of us stay in the dark?

Best possible candidate is based on how your application/interview was scored. Each applicant is given a numerical score based on different criteria on your application and from your interview, the higher the score, the higher your position on the list. They're probably waiting for the rest of the alternate confirmations (The "yes I want to be on the list" forms we sent in) before they make a final ranked list. From there we just have to wait for people to start rejecting them. Now the updates by phone is what I want to know about. Are they going to call us all to tell us our rank and call everyone of us again when someone is taken so that we can find our new rank? Or do they only call whoever's at the top of the list to let them know they've now been accepted and the rest of us stay in the dark?

Yea.. when I interviewed they said they give everyone a score..interview,gpa,essay. The interview supposedly is the biggest part of your total score.. and I dont think theyre going to tell us our rank. At least thats what they said at my interview. They dont want us to call them everyday wondering where we're at on the list.. :( I wish they would just give us a number like USC or something..or give us an idea where we're at on the list..

They wont tell you your rank at all. the only way you find out if you are off the alt list and accepted is when you recieve a call from them.

Folks, relax! Just got off the phone with the director of Admin - it's a slow boat to China approach at Western today.

First off, the alternate list is "well over a hundred," she said - that could easily mean 150+

They haven't even sent all the deposit acknowledgements for accepted students.

She said the flow regarding rejecting students is very slow at this time and will not be evident before mid-summer.

Time to hit the rocking chair and kick off those shoes - take a deep breath and I guess,... wait!

"Don't be expecting anything soon" - is the feeling I got! So take it easy guys and lower your stress levels...you know..cortisol!

I can see a long hot summer ahead....by the phone!

Good luck to all! Hope this was not toooo much of a depressing update!

Please post any better news here guys - any info/corresspondence - we are all ears! :) :luck:

Folks, relax! Just got off the phone with the director of Admin - it's a slow boat to China approach at Western today.

First off, the alternate list is "well over a hundred," she said - that could easily mean 150+

She said the flow regarding rejecting students is very slow at this time and will not be evident before mid-summer.

Time to hit the rocking chair and kick off those shoes - take a deep breath and I guess,... wait!

"Don't be expecting anything soon" - is the feeling I got! So take it easy guys and lower your stress levels...you know..cortisol!

Please post any better news here guys - any info/corresspondence - we are all ears! :) :luck:

150+ alternates! WOW, so being on the alternative list isn't anything special. especially when they pulled so little last year. that's crazy!

lol @ 150++ alternates
after all, being placed on alternate list is the same as being placed on hold.

the first time i knew that i'm alternate, i was a bit happy.
now that i know it's more than 150.......... *sighs*
i think i won't care about it anymore. -___-;;

For those waiting, I just withdrew my acceptance to Western last week so that is one extra spot.

Good luck to all. I know how it feels to be on Western's waitlist, since I was there last year. :oops:

For those waiting, I just withdrew my acceptance to Western last week so that is one extra spot.

Good luck to all. I know how it feels to be on Western's waitlist, since I was there last year. :oops:

where r u planning to attend swanchick

150+ alternates! WOW, so being on the alternative list isn't anything special. especially when they pulled so little last year. that's crazy!

How many did they pull last year?

I remember from the interview that they pulled 36 alternates from a list of 100 last year.

I remember from the interview that they pulled 36 alternates from a list of 100 last year.

should be more than 36......the pharmcas web site states that they offered 150-152 (i think) people acceptance by april 2006. Western's website states they offered 203 (assuming that's after april) 2006. SO, what im seeing is that they pulled 83 waitlisted people. am i wrong?

My question is... if the flow regarding rejecting students is slow... does that mean there are still some people on hold and they are still going though the files and trying to determine whether to take them off or not OR...if we already know if we are alts since early april does that mean we are in good standing on the alt list? like high or mid alt?

Or does she mean the flow of rejecting students on the alt. list is slow and we wont know of our rejection till after mid summer...?

Or am i just looking into this too much?

I just need a sign! A shread of hope...

My question is... if the flow regarding rejecting students is slow... does that mean there are still some people on hold and they are still going though the files and trying to determine whether to take them off or not OR...if we already know if we are alts since early april does that mean we are in good standing on the alt list? like high or mid alt?

Or does she mean the flow of rejecting students on the alt. list is slow and we wont know of our rejection till after mid summer...?

I think u should give Ms. Ford a call. u have some pretty good questions...

i think you guys should just take a step back and just calm yourselves. You keep on stressing about this. Whatever happens happens right?

I would just let yourelf breath as well as let western employees breath. You guys seem to be constantly bombarding their phones with these questions of where am i and this and that.

Just sit back and see what happens. There's always a shread of hope, but calm down with the calling them for everything

I am sorry for not giving you a clearer picture of the current events at Western:

Rejection of students applying for the Pharm.D program is done - finito!

The remaining group are either alternates (the preferred stance) and some are on hold (not preferred group).

The alternates will have priority in filling any open spaces made available by students who have been accepted, since their interview, but are now rejecting their spots - for several reasons - mainly being they want to attend another university!

The admin director was referring to these rejection letters received from students of their acceptance status from Western U. Hope that clears it!

Western U policy is not to give out your rank on the alternate list - so they expect us all to sit back and wait - rather than hound the admissions office with ...where do I stand now?!

On the bright side, Western only accepts 120 students for their Pharm.D program, though last year they sent out just over 200 acceptance letters. When I consulted on that query - the response was that a number of students change their mind in the final month and reject their positions for various reasons....all the way from financial issues, not completing a pre-requisite...to you know what!

I personally have a feeling that this year more students will bail out during the last final month before the course kicks off - remember, the U.S. economic news is not that great today....from the dollar value to gas prices and tuition increase guaranteed 5 - 8 percent annually...and the list goes on!

So for you hardliners and determined - do more sit-ups - you might need those six-packs to weather the storm!

Last weekend I decided to visit Western U's Pre-Health Conference - and had the opportunity to listen first-hand what some faculty and the Admin coordinator had to say:

"It is the norm not to get selected on the first or even the second try," she said! "we can't accept all 1800 applicants." She has a point. She did emphasize to protect your GPA grade like your credit card fico score! And apply early.

Hope I was able to set the record straight and maybe make you guys/gals feel somewhat less anxious - and just more eager! :)

i think you guys should just take a step back and just calm yourselves. You keep on stressing about this. Whatever happens happens right?

I would just let yourelf breath as well as let western employees breath. You guys seem to be constantly bombarding their phones with these questions of where am i and this and that.

Just sit back and see what happens. There's always a shread of hope, but calm down with the calling them for everything

so does that mean u'll be rejecting ur seat...and reapply next year?:laugh: :smuggrin:

I agree with you that those of us on the alt. list shouldn't be calling the adcom for every little thing but you gotta understand that this is our future and we're kind of anxious about our fate. I think I sense some of that anxiousness in your past post when you were awaiting to hear from western. Now that you're in, it's smooth sailing from here on out.

Just a thought.

USC! I guess that extra yr. off really paid off since I didn't even get an interview for USC last year.

So what have you done during that 1 year off to get you into USC?? thank you very much for sharing...

I think it was my GPA that held me back last year. For one thing, I did better in my upper divs my senior year. I took challenging core science courses and did fairly well in them. I also retook a few pre-reqs at my local JC to increase my science GPA.

Graduating with a bachelors definitely helps too, especially if your GPA isn't that high. I didn't have mine yet at the time of applications last year. I believe Western gives 5 extra pts. to applicants that already have a bachelors at the time of applying.

Lastly..INTERVIEWS! They are SO crucial to the admissions process and I cannot stress that enough. I was really nervous last year and rehearsed my answers so much that it was sounded memorized. This year was different and I felt good about all my interviews. All they really want to see is if you're normal and if you'd make a good fit. Don't talk too much. Answer their questions and don't go off on a tangent. Watch your Likes and Umms. They want to hear you be passionate about your achievements and about pharmacy. As long as you are yourself, and remember to practice with a friend/career center, you should be in good shape.

Lastly, be confident, yet humble at the same time. :luck:

I agree with you that those of us on the alt. list shouldn't be calling the adcom for every little thing but you gotta understand that this is our future and we're kind of anxious about our fate. I think I sense some of that anxiousness in your past post when you were awaiting to hear from western. Now that you're in, it's smooth sailing from here on out.

Just a thought.

my post was regarding "calling them" not about the anxiousness of the wait. Of course all of us have the same feeling about the wait. My acceptance has nothing to do with this matter. I actually got place on hold the first time around. I had to wait for months just like all of you for my status. I however, did not ONCE call them about anything regarding where I stand in the hold/alternate or whatever place they placed me in.

So don't take my comment that just because i got in that i think you should all not be anxious. I myself have been in your shoes and i totally understand how much this means to you bc it probably means the same thing to me.

I'm just saying to all of those awaiting their seats...jsut wait. Don't bombard them with calls about this matter of waiting or where you stand or questions of that matter.

You all have to agree that some of the people on here are bombarding them with calls over the same issue and even though i don't work there, i can probably feel their pain when they get the same call over and over and over and over.

when i heard that i was placed on HOLD you know what i did? i actually just planned out what i was going to do the following year to improve my application because stressing over the wait and if i was goign to get in or not was not worth it for me since I'm still in scholl.

Seriously though, good luck to all of those who are waiting, and remember patience is a virtue.

I think it was my GPA that held me back last year. For one thing, I did better in my upper divs my senior year. I took challenging core science courses and did fairly well in them. I also retook a few pre-reqs at my local JC to increase my science GPA.

Graduating with a bachelors definitely helps too, especially if your GPA isn't that high. I didn't have mine yet at the time of applications last year. I believe Western gives 5 extra pts. to applicants that already have a bachelors at the time of applying.

Lastly..INTERVIEWS! They are SO crucial to the admissions process and I cannot stress that enough. I was really nervous last year and rehearsed my answers so much that it was sounded memorized. This year was different and I felt good about all my interviews. All they really want to see is if you're normal and if you'd make a good fit. Don't talk too much. Answer their questions and don't go off on a tangent. Watch your Likes and Umms. They want to hear you be passionate about your achievements and about pharmacy. As long as you are yourself, and remember to practice with a friend/career center, you should be in good shape.

Lastly, be confident, yet humble at the same time. :luck:

Words of Wisdom..........Priceless! :)

my post was regarding "calling them" not about the anxiousness of the wait. Of course all of us have the same feeling about the wait. My acceptance has nothing to do with this matter. I actually got place on hold the first time around. I had to wait for months just like all of you for my status. I however, did not ONCE call them about anything regarding where I stand in the hold/alternate or whatever place they placed me in.

So don't take my comment that just because i got in that i think you should all not be anxious. I myself have been in your shoes and i totally understand how much this means to you bc it probably means the same thing to me.

I'm just saying to all of those awaiting their seats...jsut wait. Don't bombard them with calls about this matter of waiting or where you stand or questions of that matter.

You all have to agree that some of the people on here are bombarding them with calls over the same issue and even though i don't work there, i can probably feel their pain when they get the same call over and over and over and over.

when i heard that i was placed on HOLD you know what i did? i actually just planned out what i was going to do the following year to improve my application because stressing over the wait and if i was goign to get in or not was not worth it for me since I'm still in scholl.

Seriously though, good luck to all of those who are waiting, and remember patience is a virtue.

yeah I totally agree with you. I no longer want to call them. All I do is now to plan on what I can do now to enhance my application. Seriously being placed on waiting lists isn't fun. But there is nothing I can do besides figuring out what I will do to make my application better.

Nicely said. Congrats Derrick. Looks like i'll be heading to Touro, already have room mates and looking for houses. Being an alternate at Western sucks especially considering there are more than 100 potential pharmacy students on the list.

Nicely said. Congrats Derrick. Looks like i'll be heading to Touro, already have room mates and looking for houses. Being an alternate at Western sucks especially considering there are more than 100 potential pharmacy students on the list.

johnny keep the faith up man. We're suppose to go through 4 years at western together remember?