WesternU C/O 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
come on guys, it's midnight on the east coast. i should not be thinking of french fries at this hour.
:p

anyway. is it a huge pain to fly to LAX and not Ontario? I am having a huge flight booking headache because i had had a trip to san fran planned for president's day weekend and i got confirmed for an interview in the beginning of the week now... (i'm coming from DC..) and my boyfriend is in san diego, so i just changed the first leg of my dc-to-SF flight to SD-to-SF instead (woo! i successfully argued my way into not incurring the $75 change fee *win*) but i have no DC-to-Western flight at the moment... any advice/wisdom would be appreciated!
If you will be renting a car, or have access to one, no big deal, you just get to add at worst 40 min drive to the school from airport. It's nothing for those of us who are in LA all the time. If you will be relying on public transport, shuttles or taxi - then yes, major PITA. Enjoy the interview, regardless. Last year I flew in to MCI Kansas City, MO and drove an hour to LAX and an hour and a half (I think) to Manhattan, KS to save bucks on a ticket and not have to change planes.

Members don't see this ad.

come on guys, it's midnight on the east coast. i should not be thinking of french fries at this hour.
:p

anyway. is it a huge pain to fly to LAX and not Ontario? I am having a huge flight booking headache because i had had a trip to san fran planned for president's day weekend and i got confirmed for an interview in the beginning of the week now... (i'm coming from DC..) and my boyfriend is in san diego, so i just changed the first leg of my dc-to-SF flight to SD-to-SF instead (woo! i successfully argued my way into not incurring the $75 change fee *win*) but i have no DC-to-Western flight at the moment... any advice/wisdom would be appreciated!

I almost flew into LAX, it's about 40 miles away from the school. I am the WORST person when it comes to directions and tend to get lost whatever I do, so I decided against it. I'm sure it's not that difficult though. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh... it definitely wasn't worth the insane cab fare I paid... and the fries were almost raw :(

Bummer! I love In n Out! Usually their fries aren't like that...

Bummer! I love In n Out! Usually their fries aren't like that...

Yeah, I love their fries!!! Idk what to tell you Emiloo. The in n out in San Pedro is most excellent...

I'm flying in from FL on the 6th, interview on the 7th, leaving the 8th. My interview is REALLY early on the 7th... Would anyone like to hang out on the night of the 7th? None of my family could afford to fly out too, Im under 25, so no car, but Im 3 miles from campus at my hotel (I'll just walk). LMK!

You're going to walk three miles in Pomona, California in interview attire...? o_O

but Im 3 miles from campus at my hotel (I'll just walk). LMK!

Yeah, that's what I thought about In and Out Burger... I'll just walk. And then I remembered, 3 miles... is only one way! :eek:

I'm flying in from FL on the 6th, interview on the 7th, leaving the 8th. My interview is REALLY early on the 7th... Would anyone like to hang out on the night of the 7th? None of my family could afford to fly out too, Im under 25, so no car, but Im 3 miles from campus at my hotel (I'll just walk). LMK!

So, Pomona isn't bad, but I would NOT walk 3 miles in an unfamiliar place in interview clothes. Some Western friends have had some occasional creepy business (e.g. car driving along slowly behind as you walk) so um... yeah, get a cab, see about a shuttle, try and find a ride from a fellow SDNer? Something, please.

So, Pomona isn't bad, but I would NOT walk 3 miles in an unfamiliar place in interview clothes. Some Western friends have had some occasional creepy business (e.g. car driving along slowly behind as you walk) so um... yeah, get a cab, see about a shuttle, try and find a ride from a fellow SDNer? Something, please.

Yeah, a lot of hotels have shuttles. My hotel (Shilo Inn) brought me both to and from the airport and Western. My cab was insanely expensive, but definitely worth your safety!

Is anyone else in a similar situation? I was emailed just a couple days ago saying, "congratulations, your application is complete and is now ready to be reviewed by the admissions committee." What?!? They haven't even looked at it yet? Other people had been notified of their interviews a long time ago. Anyone else in this situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else in a similar situation? I was emailed just a couple days ago saying, "congratulations, your application is complete and is now ready to be reviewed by the admissions committee." What?!? They haven't even looked at it yet? Other people had been notified of their interviews a long time ago. Anyone else in this situation?

Yes, a lot of people actually. Western got very behind, so just sit tight. They had some technical issues with the applications apparently. They are just now starting to pick back up with sending applications to committee review and notifying interviewees.

Yeah, a lot of hotels have shuttles. My hotel (Shilo Inn) brought me both to and from the airport and Western. My cab was insanely expensive, but definitely worth your safety!

Yeah, I got the same hotel because of the shuttle ride perks thanks to your suggestion! I would probably take the shuttle to Western (in normal clothes) later that night and meet up some SDNers? Ive lived in NYC, so 3 miles and Pomona doesnt seem that scary, lol, but I'll take ya'alls advice. It would really be a bummer to spend hundreds of dollars going to CA and just stay cooped up in my hotel room. :( Well, hit me up if you're there on the 7th, otherwise Im going to find a bingo hall and hang with some grannies :D

Yeah, I got the same hotel because of the shuttle ride perks thanks to your suggestion! I would probably take the shuttle to Western (in normal clothes) later that night and meet up some SDNers? Ive lived in NYC, so 3 miles and Pomona doesnt seem that scary, lol, but I'll take ya'alls advice. It would really be a bummer to spend hundreds of dollars going to CA and just stay cooped up in my hotel room. :( Well, hit me up if you're there on the 7th, otherwise Im going to find a bingo hall and hang with some grannies :D

Btw, the hotel was actually really nice... at least my room was. Enjoy your time! You should definitely look around because if you get an offer you want to be confident that you saw the surrounding area. At least for me, the town surrounding the school I choose is a big deal to me. And the interview is CAKE! Study the interview feedback on here, they are word for word. Have a (very specific) example for each question, and relax. They were insanely nice and never tried to intimidate.

I've heard that NYC has actually gotten safer while Los Angeles has gotten more dangerous. Mind you, LA is not pomona, but I'd be careful wherever down here, even at the beach!!! Had quite a few scary encounters

As a New Yorker who moved to LA for 8 years (4 of which were right next door to Pomona), I can say I feel substantially safer anywhere in Manhattan than certain areas of Los Angeles. But the good areas of Los Angeles are fantastic and I feel completely safe. But in LA, things vary a lot from neighborhood to neighborhood.

As a New Yorker who moved to LA for 8 years (4 of which were right next door to Pomona), I can say I feel substantially safer anywhere in Manhattan than certain areas of Los Angeles. But the good areas of Los Angeles are fantastic and I feel completely safe. But in LA, things vary a lot from neighborhood to neighborhood.

Just chiming in (again :oops:) to agree with Pomona2006 here and to say as someone who has simply visited both coasts recently (within the last six weeks), 3 miles in Manhattan is a walk in the park compared to 3 miles anywhere in LA/Orange Counties.

SO... I was craving an IN N OUT after all this talk... so I went tonight to get one, and....

IT SUCKED.

What the hell happened????? so UNCOOL :smuggrin:

SO... I was craving an IN N OUT after all this talk... so I went tonight to get one, and....

IT SUCKED.

What the hell happened????? so UNCOOL :smuggrin:

Maybe the one in Pomona = fail? Or are you elsewhere?

I went to one in Sacramento. It was good - not like mind-blowing, but I'd pick it over another fast food option (McD, Wendy's, Braum's, Whataburger, Carl's Jr.) without much pause.

I don't like animal sauce though! Too mayonnaise-y.

Maybe the one in Pomona = fail? Or are you elsewhere?

I went to one in Sacramento. It was good - not like mind-blowing, but I'd pick it over another fast food option (McD, Wendy's, Braum's, Whataburger, Carl's Jr.) without much pause.

I don't like animal sauce though! Too mayonnaise-y.

I had it in my hometown San Pedro.... I had the animal sauce, and I was like, where the eff are my onions? and there were ... 4 of them... on there..

and the fries did taste undercook. My mom was mad at me for dragging her out there and not her beloved mcdonalds. Goddamnit... haven't eaten fast food for a year. I'm going to return to that due to complete disappointment.

Goddamnit... haven't eaten fast food for a year. I'm going to return to that due to complete disappointment.
This. When you aren't eating it regularly, you can realize it kinda sucks. I eat fast food maybe every 2 months or so and then it's usually breakfast on the go to a tournament. I've had in-n-out once in the last year, and probably less than 20 times since moving to CA six years ago.

ETA: Pomona felt a bit shady when I went to the open house, but the campus was nice and felt fine. Certainly better than USC did when I visited in 2006

ETA (again) Where are the invite offers? *cricket*

Man I am getting heart broken from all this In N Out bashing, I worked there for three years in high school/college, and till this day I swear by everything they do. How many people can say that after working in a particular restaurant or fast food joint? I hope it was an extreme isolated event for most of you.

And I can see where the fries may seem raw or undercook, but that is how it is since it is literally real potatoes, they peel them in the back, bring them up to the kitchen to dice them and then get tossed in the fryer, not frozen or have any additional stuff to make them crunchier like other places.

If you were truly disappointed call their customer service center, they are an amazing group that will always try to make things right.

Man I am getting heart broken from all this In N Out bashing, I worked there for three years in high school/college, and till this day I swear by everything they do. How many people can say that after working in a particular restaurant or fast food joint? I hope it was an extreme isolated event for most of you.

And I can see where the fries may seem raw or undercook, but that is how it is since it is literally real potatoes, they peel them in the back, bring them up to the kitchen to dice them and then get tossed in the fryer, not frozen or have any additional stuff to make them crunchier like other places.

If you were truly disappointed call their customer service center, they are an amazing group that will always try to make things right.

I don't mean to bash, I didn't think it was TERRIBLE, but not as good as I was expecting. And I eat at another place that fresh cuts the fries in the back, but still manages to cook them lol. These were literally half raw (which obviously depends on the person cooking them as well). Either way, I do like that everything is fresh there, and I would definitely chose it over McD's or Burger King, etc, but I think it may have been a little too hyped up to me by other people. I am not one to usually be critical, but I was definitely a little disappointed. Kudos to them for being a great company though. It's places like that who keep you coming back! I will definitely give it another shot the next time I see one. Hopefully it will change my mind ;)

:( I want to cry. In n Out is a staple of California, you guys... it's like saying our beaches suck.

:( I want to cry. In n Out is a staple of California, you guys... it's like saying our beaches suck.

Im from California!!! I usually like IN n OUT... just this one experience was crap.

hahaha and fromthebox, being that I lived at USC for 4 years since 2006 I totally agree with you... but I still have trojan love!!

I like how future Western students talk about fast food.... hahaha

Check your email (everyone that's still waiting). Just got my invite! :)

Hi all,
Just checking in on the thread (meaning I don't want to study right now).
Yes files are still being reviewed so don't lose hope if you have not heard anything yet...No news is good news in this case.
Just a reminder, I got my invite late and interviewed on the dates added later in the month. It seems to be the case that WesternU adds another couple of days (at least for the class before me, my class, and the class after me) so there might be a good chance that they'll add a couple more this year.
Best of luck to those waiting for invites :luck:
Best of luck coming to the interviews this weekend...I'll be there to help out.
And to those that have interviewed already, it was nice to see you (although we might not have officially met...as TwelveTigers described after she met me, I was the "sassy" one :laugh:).

Got my interview invite today! :) I was starting to think that I wouldn't be hearing back from them so there is still hope guys!

For the new batch of interviewees, when are you guys going in?

Got my interview invite today! :) I was starting to think that I wouldn't be hearing back from them so there is still hope guys!

For the new batch of interviewees, when are you guys going in?

Doesn't everyone eventually hear back from them? For better or worse? I can't imagine a process like this that just ends without any type of closure. :rolleyes:

Doesn't everyone eventually hear back from them? For better or worse? I can't imagine a process like this that just ends without any type of closure. :rolleyes:

haha you got me there :laugh: but I'm sure you know what I meant :D

Hi all,
Just checking in on the thread (meaning I don't want to study right now).
Yes files are still being reviewed so don't lose hope if you have not heard anything yet...No news is good news in this case.
Just a reminder, I got my invite late and interviewed on the dates added later in the month. It seems to be the case that WesternU adds another couple of days (at least for the class before me, my class, and the class after me) so there might be a good chance that they'll add a couple more this year.
Best of luck to those waiting for invites :luck:
Best of luck coming to the interviews this weekend...I'll be there to help out.
And to those that have interviewed already, it was nice to see you (although we might not have officially met...as TwelveTigers described after she met me, I was the "sassy" one :laugh:).

marcwood: I have my interview on Saturday! So i guess i will see you there :). Quick question: I am trying to plan my foot attire (haha), and was wondering if there is a lot of walking? With my luck, you're probably a guy answering this post, but I thought i'd ask anyway! :)

Any interview tips are also always appreciated!

Good luck to everyone else with interviews and sit tight people waiting to hear back... I'm sure no news is good news! :)

marcwood: I have my interview on Saturday! So i guess i will see you there :). Quick question: I am trying to plan my foot attire (haha), and was wondering if there is a lot of walking? With my luck, you're probably a guy answering this post, but I thought i'd ask anyway! :)

Any interview tips are also always appreciated!

Good luck to everyone else with interviews and sit tight people waiting to hear back... I'm sure no news is good news! :)

There wasn't a terrible amount of walking. The vet school area is pretty small. There is SOME walking, but nothing you can't do in heels for a little while. There is a lot of sitting so you should be fine. Best of luck!

There wasn't a terrible amount of walking. The vet school area is pretty small. There is SOME walking, but nothing you can't do in heels for a little while. There is a lot of sitting so you should be fine. Best of luck!

Awesome thanks so much Emiloo4! My suit would look kinda silly with ballerina flats or something... It's silly that stress goes in to planning an outfit. Glad to hear my heels are a go!

Awesome thanks so much Emiloo4! My suit would look kinda silly with ballerina flats or something... It's silly that stress goes in to planning an outfit. Glad to hear my heels are a go!

Haha, that's not silly. I bite my nails and decided to let them grow for interviews... because I'm SO SURE they care about my nails :laugh:. Either way, every little bit helps, and I totally understand about the shoe thing. I had 8 ankle surgeries and my feet hurt even during massages lol, so I totally get it! I don't want to say there was NO walking, but it wasn't as bad as the other tours I've been to. I definitely couldn't wait to get my heels off, but I made it. Best of :luck:! They were VERY VERY nice so just relax.

Dr Sabes, what time is your interview? Mine is at 845 on the 4th. Also about the suits and such, I think women have a lot more to worry about. I too was worrying about my nails and my makeup and my suit and my heels etc. Im not normally very girly, but its amazing what you start to think about when you feel like one hair out of place may cause you NOT to get into vet school (not that thats the case!)

Does anyone by chance know the pass rate for boards for Western?

Does anyone by chance know the pass rate for boards for Western?

When I interviewed last week, I think they said last year it was 98 percent or something.

yes the latest rate was 98%! woot woot!