WesternU c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi WesternU Applicants!

Hope you aren't stressing out too much over this year's cycle. This is a really exciting time in your lives, and you should be very proud of all the hard work you've put in to get to this point. As a current first year, I wanted to reach out and share my experience as someone who went through the application/interview/acceptance process. This year is probably a bit different due to the pandemic, and I'm sure the the admissions team is doing their best to get back to you all and send out/figure out interviews. Last year I was sent an invitation to interview in early/mid-October and I had my on-campus interview in late October. Their interview dates ranged from late October to December or so, but again it might be different this year.

Our interview day started off with a talk from the Dean, then we were split into groups where we rotated between a tour of the campus, student Q&A, professor Q&A, and the interview. After we completed all 4 rounds, we joined back and were given a presentation from the bursars office (about paying for school and such). We then had the option to stay and go through a mock PBL session (HIGHLY recommend you stay for this!!!! Not only does it look good, but it will give you an idea of what our main method of learning is at Western).

So the interview...I won't give specifics about the questions, but when you're preparing I would say think about some past experiences that were really impactful on you. Was there someone you worked with that really solidified your decision to pursue veterinary medicine? Was there every a time that you wished you would have spoken up or done something differently? Was there a situation where you were a leader of a group, and what went right/wrong? Pull from different experiences, they don't all have to be veterinary related (for example one of my answers related to my friends and I playing soccer). But more than anything, just RELAX during the interview! Our student really emphasized that these are just meant to be conversations between you and the faculty to get to know you, and I 100% agree. Take some time to think about the question you're being asked, breath, and be confident.

Again, interviews this year might be different, but hope this helps. WesternU has been my top choice ever since I began pursuing veterinary medicine, and its still a dream that I'm in. While this year has been a lot different than we all saw coming, our class is very open and collaborative and seems to be adapting well. I've still been able to make a great group of friends, meet with most of the faculty, and learn a lot more than I ever thought I'd be capable of within these past 10 weeks.

Wishing you all the best of luck this application cycle! I'd be happy to answer any more questions you all may have.
-WU c/o 2024 student who is currently writing this post instead of studying the bovine GI!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My portal has still not updated but an email said I was sent to committee review. I think they may be slightly behind on their process?

Reactions: 1 users
also in the email I received it said they would notify us of any interviews via email, nothing about the portal

Reactions: 1 user
Yup, same. Anyone know when interview invites were sent out last year?

Not exactly sure when I got the interview notice last year, but I had an interview around October 28th last year. So I definitely think they are further behind in the process than they were this time last year.

Reactions: 3 users
Last week of October, hoping we will hear something by the end of the week. Has anyone tried contacting admissions and/or hear anything about interviews?

Last week of October, hoping we will hear something by the end of the week. Has anyone tried contacting admissions and/or hear anything about interviews?
Still sent to admissions for processing and haven’t received an email saying my application is under review yet.

My friend is in her first year and said they were trying to schedule for next week the 4th & 5th to be the first two interview days... but I doubt it if no one has heard anything.
From my experience interviewing with them last year, their admissions team is very disorganized. I love the structure of their program and would love to to go there but their decision making/communication with applying students is somewhat of a nightmare

Reactions: 2 users
Check your emails! I got an interview invite just now!!
Congrats!! That’s awesome!! Now to obsessively check my email for the rest of the day... lol

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else's portal not yet say "sent to admissions for processing?" I submitted my application and was verified in early August so I would have thought my application would have listed it before those of you who submitted on September 15th. :shrug:

Congrats! Were you under committee review prior to the interview email? im still under sent for processing OOS applicant 1st time
Yes, I had an email that said I was in committee review, but my portal never updated. Everything just updated today

Does anyone else's portal not yet say "sent to admissions for processing?" I submitted my application and was verified in early August so I would have thought my application would have listed it before those of you who submitted on September 15th. :shrug:

I have a very similar timeline to yours. My portal never updated.

I have a very similar timeline to yours. My portal never updated.
Same, I submitted mid August but my portal never updated. I did receive an email a few weeks ago saying it was sent to admissions for review.

Same, I submitted mid August but my portal never updated. I did receive an email a few weeks ago saying it was sent to admissions for review.
I got that same email a few weeks back too

They had 4 or 5 listed for next week

so you’re saying that there are interviews scheduled for next week?? Dang, that’s weird that they’re only giving you a week heads up

so you’re saying that there are interviews scheduled for next week?? Dang, that’s weird that they’re only giving you a week heads up
Yeah wow that is crazy- does anyone know of anyone else that has been sent an interview request? I’m going crazy checking everything all the time

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah wow that is crazy- does anyone know of anyone else that has been sent an interview request? I’m going crazy checking everything all the time

I received an Interview request on October 29 and my interview is set for November 4!

Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone receiving any updates from Western? I'm assuming not getting an interview invite in the near future = rejection? :(

Is anyone receiving any updates from Western? I'm assuming not getting an interview invite in the near future = rejection? :(
Don’t lose hope! They were still sending out interview invites in January last year!!

• Care
I'm feeling the exact same way! It's so hard waiting and not hearing anything back... especially after knowing students are interviewing this week :(

My friend who is a first year at Western said that they were interviewing 24 people per day, and I think there were four interview days this week? That seems like a small amount.

My friend who is a first year at Western said that they were interviewing 24 people per day, and I think there were four interview days this week? That seems like a small amount.

I feel like that’s kind of a lot. Last year they interviewed about 530, so that means about 20% of interviews are out already (assuming they follow last year’s pattern).

I feel like that’s kind of a lot. Last year they interviewed about 530, so that means about 20% of interviews are out already (assuming they follow last year’s pattern).

Hopefully one in the remaining 80%!! Did they specify how the interview would be held?

Is anyone else a little disappointed or losing hope? I got an interview last year and was waitlist accepted but now this year I still have not heard anything interview wise. I submitted my application June 15th and my transcripts got approved on September 10 ( there were issues on my degree showing up on my transcripts). And I feel that my application improved, more letters of recommendation, better grades and a ton of clinical hours.

I’m not too sure if this is true but are they possibly going by alphabetical orders of last names for interview callbacks?

Is anyone else a little disappointed or losing hope? I got an interview last year and was waitlist accepted but now this year I still have not heard anything interview wise. I submitted my application June 15th and my transcripts got approved on September 10 ( there were issues on my degree showing up on my transcripts). And I feel that my application improved, more letters of recommendation, better grades and a ton of clinical hours.
I really do think they’re just taking a lot longer this year than previous years. Have you received an email saying that your application has been sent to review yet?

I really do think they’re just taking a lot longer this year than previous years. Have you received an email saying that your application has been sent to review yet?
Has most everyone received this email? I haven't really heard anything since I made my account back in September. My status still just says "sent to Admissions for processing."

Has most everyone received this email? I haven't really heard anything since I made my account back in September. My status still just says "sent to Admissions for processing."
I only remember recieving an email to create my account which I assumed also meant that they had received my application. My portal also just says "Sent to admissions for processing."

My portal still says “sent to admissions for processing” as well. Earlier in the thread people were saying they received emails saying their application had been sent to committee review. If you haven’t received that email then they haven’t even looked at your application yet!

They gave me 4 days to choose from and it’s coming up pretty quickly. I was pretty surprised about that!

hello! How was your interview? Quick question, how many total questions did the interview consist of? I know there are two rooms...not sure if each room asked one question or two. Thanks and I hope you did well!

Yes it said it was sent to the committee.

Yes it said it was sent to the committee.
Hmm well still, I wouldn’t lose hope. It’s still early November. Maybe they are working remotely because of COVID and it’s just taking a lot longer this year.

Hi, did anyone still not get a response from them other than the “sent to review” email?

Hi, did anyone still not get a response from them other than the “sent to review” email?
I haven't even received an email saying that my application was "sent to review." The only email I have received from them was the one to create my portal account. I just emailed them last night because I'm getting kind of worried that I haven't heard anything else.

I just got an email the other day for an interview invite! The interviews seem to be online and the dates they had to sign up for were shortly after getting the invite. Is this what others are experiencing as well?

I just got an email the other day for an interview invite! The interviews seem to be online and the dates they had to sign up for were shortly after getting the invite. Is this what others are experiencing as well?
Yes, I had my interview yesterday and only had a few days notice. Everyone in my interview group seemed to have the same experience as well.

Hmm well still, I wouldn’t lose hope. It’s still early November. Maybe they are working remotely because of COVID and it’s just taking a lot longer this year.
I had my interview yesterday. They told us that the interview process will take longer than normal because they can't interview as many people at once (like they could for in person interviews). They also said they hoped to be done with interviews before winter break. However, they will go into January if needed. I got the feeling they still planned to interview the same number of applicants as past years. I think there is still time to get an invite. Don't lose hope!

• Care
Yes, I had my interview yesterday and only had a few days notice. Everyone in my interview group seemed to have the same experience as well.
Congrats on doing your interview! I hope it went well. Any tips for the online interview??

Congrats on doing your interview! I hope it went well. Any tips for the online interview??
Thanks! The interviewers were friendly which made me feel more relaxed! The interview was mostly behavior-based questions, so practicing those types of questions would be helpful.