WesternU c/o 2026

Started by nseig
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

My assumption is that if we were ranked, we would be given a number. Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t other vet schools, if ranking you, also issue you a number?
Yeah based on the FB page it’s looking like fewer and fewer schools do that these days. I’ve been seeing a lot of people posting saying that they don’t hear about their ranking.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well that’s disheartening. So what we were told is basically false advertisement? I just hope it doesn’t affect the list now
I looked back on the FB page and it was a second year from 2021 at WesternU who had told someone this information. Not sure if she just misunderstood or if he didn’t know that that’s what they did in the past and they have changed the procedure since. I guess what makes me a tiny bit confused is how low their numbers appear to be? Only pulling off 30-40 people is a really good retention rate. There are so many people on the APVMA page talking about how a lot of these schools will go past the first 100 waitlisted applicants to fill up their classes, so I wonder if he meant that 30-40 people of the previous entering class are from the waitlist? Either way, try and stay positive guys!!
 
I looked back on the FB page and it was a second year from 2021 at WesternU who had told someone this information. Not sure if she just misunderstood or if he didn’t know that that’s what they did in the past and they have changed the procedure since. I guess what makes me a tiny bit confused is how low their numbers appear to be? Only pulling off 30-40 people is a really good retention rate. There are so many people on the APVMA page talking about how a lot of these schools will go past the first 100 waitlisted applicants to fill up their classes, so I wonder if he meant that 30-40 people of the previous entering class are from the waitlist? Either way, try and stay positive guys!!
Okay. But I was very confused as to the ranking in the waitlist because we were told (at least in my cohort) during interview that we aren’t ranked. We “replace” a student with similar traits and such. I just hope everything is fair once they start accepting people from the waitlist. Thanks for the information!
 
I looked back on the FB page and it was a second year from 2021 at WesternU who had told someone this information. Not sure if she just misunderstood or if he didn’t know that that’s what they did in the past and they have changed the procedure since. I guess what makes me a tiny bit confused is how low their numbers appear to be? Only pulling off 30-40 people is a really good retention rate. There are so many people on the APVMA page talking about how a lot of these schools will go past the first 100 waitlisted applicants to fill up their classes, so I wonder if he meant that 30-40 people of the previous entering class are from the waitlist? Either way, try and stay positive guys!!
I’m not sure who’s saying they go past 100 on the waitlist, most schools only have around 100 original seats for the class so that would indicate that basically no one excepted their initial offer, which would be unlikely. And most schools waitlist is only a little over 100. Out of the six schools I have applied and been accepted to, from my original research a few months ago they usually take any where from 15-40 students off the list depending on the school and year. I wouldn’t stress out about numbers or rankings too much, stay positive and know that everything will work out and whether it’s this year or another year, your guises hard work will pay off!!
 
I’m not sure who’s saying they go past 100 on the waitlist, most schools only have around 100 original seats for the class so that would indicate that basically no one excepted their initial offer, which would be unlikely. And most schools waitlist is only a little over 100. Out of the six schools I have applied and been accepted to, from my original research a few months ago they usually take any where from 15-40 students off the list depending on the school and year. I wouldn’t stress out about numbers or rankings too much, stay positive and know that everything will work out and whether it’s this year or another year, your guises hard work will pay off!!
There are actually quite a number of schools that go past 100, only for their OOS lists though. A few are Michigan (who actually stated in their email to waitlisted applicants that they have a waitlist of over 300 😱), Iowa, Mississippi, and Minnesota. People on APVMA have been trying to figure out where they stand and apparently Iowa has already called up to 50 people. The reason why they have so many on their waitlist is because they expect initial offers of acceptances to be declined, people accept 2 schools and pay the deposit for both if they need more time to decide and later drop one of them, and people get waitlisted for their IS or dream school and then get pulled off of their IS/dream school’s waitlist and then drop the school they had initially accepted the offer from. But you’re right, at this point we can’t really do much except wait and see what happens.
 
Okay. But I was very confused as to the ranking in the waitlist because we were told (at least in my cohort) during interview that we aren’t ranked. We “replace” a student with similar traits and such. I just hope everything is fair once they start accepting people from the waitlist. Thanks for the information!
Oh that’s so weird! I actually didn’t hear anything about waitlists during my interview. There was probably some miscommunication between the interviewers and the admissions counselors then!
 
Well that’s disheartening. So what we were told is basically false advertisement? I just hope it doesn’t affect the list now
I’m sure it varies year to year…maybe they had less successful students pulled from the waitlist in the past, when using the “replacement for a specific interest/skill set” technique and have decided to rank this year. Not really sure that would be “false advertisement”…just a change in practices which is totally acceptable for an institution to do, if it builds them the best class of incoming students. Things in life aren’t always fair, especially when others get to make the decisions. Expecting this whole process to be “fair” will only frustrate you. I’ve found that thinking, “I’ll get a spot if it’s meant to be, and if not this year then maybe in the future.” Just know that things happen for a reason, whatever your spirituality will be, and blaming others for those outcomes won’t help you deal with it any better. I hope the best for you all getting off the waitlist, but know that some schools saw a 40% increase in applicants this year so it was tough!!
 
Anyone heard anything yet or do we think they’ll start reaching out Monday to give everyone adequate time to decide if they want to remain on the waitlist?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nothing yet… I think they usually send out decisions at the end of the day though so it’s possible we will hear tonight still. 🤞🏼
Oh I didn’t know that! Do you know if it’s the end of the day like at 5 pm when their office closes or at night? Let’s hope we hear something today though! 🤞
 
Oh I didn’t know that! Do you know if it’s the end of the day like at 5 pm when their office closes or at night? Let’s hope we hear something today though! 🤞
Well I got notified that I was on the waitlist at like 5:45pm and I was looking at the previous years thread and it seemed like people were getting notified around 6ish but who knows… maybe Monday.
 
Well I got notified that I was on the waitlist at like 5:45pm and I was looking at the previous years thread and it seemed like people were getting notified around 6ish but who knows… maybe Monday.
Oh that makes sense! Maybe their office actually closed around 6ish. Lol I totally forgot that some people actually got an email notifying them of admission updates.
 
It’s possible that admissions has to do some applicant shuffling, as this was the first cycle that they sent out those emails confirming our “continued interest”. They did not send out those emails last cycle, so maybe a big rush of folks declined their seats?
 
It’s possible that admissions has to do some applicant shuffling, as this was the first cycle that they sent out those emails confirming our “continued interest”. They did not send out those emails last cycle, so maybe a big rush of folks declined their seats?
I hope that’s what happened! The more people who declined their seats the better our chances are… hopefully some news on Monday.
 
So do y’all think that they waited for people to respond to the last email about whether or not they’re still interested in being an alternate over the weekend and spent today figuring out what their current pool of alternates looks like?
 
I’m also so anxious! I feel like maybe Wednesday? That will have given them a week for people to respond to the email and for them to make decisions… ugh I just hope it’s soon because it’s killing me!
 
Has anyone been able to get in touch with Jaziel Camacho?
She used to be my admissions counselor and I couldn’t ever get a hold of her. They switched me to a new person recently and she got back to me within a day. I’d check your portal and see if they changed your counselor.
 
She used to be my admissions counselor and I couldn’t ever get a hold of her. They switched me to a new person recently and she got back to me within a day. I’d check your portal and see if they changed your counselor.
I still have her and she never responds ugh
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m assuming not one person has been taken off the waitlist. At first I thought maybe they have and those folks are not on SDN or haven’t reported it, but I think we would have heard something by now if they did.
 
I’m assuming not one person has been taken off the waitlist. At first I thought maybe they have and those folks are not on SDN or haven’t reported it, but I think we would have heard something by now if they did.
Yeah. We would’ve heard on facebook via the APVMA group or other groups. If they are still understaffed it will take some time before any of us get taken out, but at the very least we know there’s people who declined their spots, so it’s not like there aren’t any spots available.
 
Yeah. We would’ve heard on facebook via the APVMA group or other groups. If they are still understaffed it will take some time before any of us get taken out, but at the very least we know there’s people who declined their spots, so it’s not like there aren’t any spots available.
Oof are they understaffed? I feel bad, that must be hard!
 
Yeah. We would’ve heard on facebook via the APVMA group or other groups. If they are still understaffed it will take some time before any of us get taken out, but at the very least we know there’s people who declined their spots, so it’s not like there aren’t any spots available.
I was thinking the same thing. At first, I thought that maybe the class was full, but that wouldn’t have made sense considering the fact that there have been multiple people who have said that they’ve declined the offer. And no one has heard or at least said anything on FB.
 
I was thinking the same thing. At first, I thought that maybe the class was full, but that wouldn’t have made sense considering the fact that there have been multiple people who have said that they’ve declined the offer. And no one has heard or at least said anything on FB.
My admissions counselor has changed at least 2 times. And neither of the last 2 ever responded to my messages. Something serious must be going on with their staff right now :/ I'm so curious as to what!
 
My admissions counselor has changed at least 2 times. And neither of the last 2 ever responded to my messages. Something serious must be going on with their staff right now :/ I'm so curious as to what!
Oh wow!! Sounds like a staffing problem for sure! 😕
 
So I emailed my admissions counselor this morning and got a reply back this evening stating that "as of now, all seats have been filled." 😢 But he did say they often have spots open through the end of July/early August.

I also asked if they ranked alternates or if we were "matched" with somebody who got accepted - but he said that they cannot disclose how the waitlist works, just that the Dean and Associate Dean select alternates.
 
Oh damn…it just seemed like no one got off because people have been asking on here and the APVMA FB page and no one knew anything…
 
Oh damn…it just seemed like no one got off because people have been asking on here and the APVMA FB page and no one knew anything…
I bet they overfilled their class again and haven't had enough rejected offers to have to go through their wait-list. I'm glad SOMEBODY is responding to the applicants though. This has been such a horrible process [emoji43]‍[emoji94]
 
I bet they overfilled their class again and haven't had enough rejected offers to have to go through their wait-list. I'm glad SOMEBODY is responding to the applicants though. This has been such a horrible process [emoji43]‍[emoji94]
I was just thinking about that too to be honest. 😫
 
This sucks :/ i wonder how many of us there are on that waitlist. Good luck to all of us ✨ here’s to hoping people bail because they got accepted to a different school they like!
 
So I emailed my admissions counselor this morning and got a reply back this evening stating that "as of now, all seats have been filled." 😢 But he did say they often have spots open through the end of July/early August.

I also asked if they ranked alternates or if we were "matched" with somebody who got accepted - but he said that they cannot disclose how the waitlist works, just that the Dean and Associate Dean select alternates.
Hello! I’m glad someone responded to one of us! 😢 does that mean that they didn’t take anyone off the waitlist yet? Or the accepted pool has not declined any offers?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel like they should at least inform us that right now all seats have been filled and give us updates about it. I don’t know about you guys, but I rather just know if the class is full as opposed to been kept in the dark and having hopes 🙁
They absolutely should! It seems like counselors are giving different information which makes this even more confusing. Something is definitely happening within admissions. I wonder if mistakes were made during this whole process…
 
I think western notoriously over accepts students so that they don’t have to rely on waitlist to fill the class. Similar thing happened last year I believe. My guess is none of us will hear anything until like august if a seat does open up
 
Yeah it’s definitely been so confusing. Their communication with us is lacking and it also seems like their communication within is lacking as well. Although I will admit that a lot of these vet schools won’t tell you that the class is full unless you ask. I know that tOSU had people complaining on the APVMA FB page about their lack of communication as well since people on their waitlist also didn’t know that the class was full already until someone asked.
 
I think western notoriously over accepts students so that they don’t have to rely on waitlist to fill the class. Similar thing happened last year I believe. My guess is none of us will hear anything until like august if a seat does open up
I agree that they do over accept though. But it’s just so weird because at least a good number of people got off the waitlist around mid-April last year and then again in May and then in June whereas this year it seems like no one even got off the waitlist yet.
 
Maybe they’re understaffed and everything is just getting backed up because of it? I hope so! Maybe the transition back onto campus is causing extra work for them. No clue but im trying to give them the benefit of the doubt!