WesternU MSMS 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coffee&Notes

Reaction score
Hello!
Is anyone applying this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m interested in applying although I just realized you need an MCAT score. I have completed all pre-reqs for med school but don’t have the strongest gpa and haven’t taken the MCAT. Even if I could secure a test date, rushing MCAT studying is a terrible idea so pretty bummed I may not be eligible.

On Postbaccas the deadline for this program in Feb.15th, but on their website it says March 1st, which deadline are you guys following? Also, I was told in the information session a couple months back that the admissions are not on a rolling basis, however on their website it says they are.

On Postbaccas the deadline for this program in Feb.15th, but on their website it says March 1st, which deadline are you guys following? Also, I was told in the information session a couple months back that the admissions are not on a rolling basis, however on their website it says they are.
I talked to an admissions counselor about 2 weeks ago and was told the deadline is Feb 15. Not rolling admission.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys know if they have an expected acceptance date? I presume sometime March/April?

April/May
Hi MedSun! I recognize your account from the thread of the previous application cycle and I remember you were successfully accepted! Congrats (probably too late to say haha) and just wondering how you are doing after this program?

And by the way, thank you so much for helping us out! We really appreciate it!

Hi everyone, just a quick question! I am taking my first MCAT on Jan 14th, 2022 and AAMC said its expected score release date is on Feb 15th which is the deadline when we submit our application. If the score does not arrive in time and runs one or two days later than expected, are we still allowed to submit the applicaiton package to be reviewed? Or we'd have to wait another year

Hi everyone, just a quick question! I am taking my first MCAT on Jan 14th, 2022 and AAMC said its expected score release date is on Feb 15th which is the deadline when we submit our application. If the score does not arrive in time and runs one or two days later than expected, are we still allowed to submit the applicaiton package to be reviewed? Or we'd have to wait another year
You can submit, just update admissions with your score. Submit your app before the deadline.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm a current student in the program. Ask away if you have any questions! Especially what to expect/how classes went. For any stats, PM me.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, I'm a current student in the program. Ask away if you have any questions! Especially what to expect/how classes went. For any stats, PM me.
Hello!

I'd love to know how classes went and how you felt overall about this program.

Also, when did you hear back from this program?

do we know approx when we should expect to hear back? I know they start looking through apps in February but do we also hear back in February?

do we know approx when we should expect to hear back? I know they start looking through apps in February but do we also hear back in February?
I remember getting my email in early March 2021 for the interview invite. I also received an email at the beginning of Feb 2021, saying that my app was still in review by the admissions committee. Submitted for MSMS app in Oct 2020.

Reactions: 1 users
My timeline was similar, submitted in October, got a confirmation in January, Interview invite in late Feb/March and interviewed the first week of April.

Hi everyone!

Not sure if anyone else notices that there is a change on the submission deadline? I saw the submission deadline has been updated to 03/04/2022 instead of 02/15/2022 on PostbacCas. But the Western U site has not updated anything yet and it is still 02/15/2022. I remeber speaking with Julie Smith last week and I don't think she ever mentioned an update to our submission deadline.

Has anyone else heard any anouncements regarding this update?

Thanks in advance!

Thought this extension might be a good opportunity to proofread my personal statement for the 37th time. One of the few documents that I actually had control over, haha.

Hey guys! My MCAT score is released on the 15th. What are the steps I have to take to submit my score? I just want to confirm what I already think I know!

Thank you :)

Hi everyone!

Not sure if anyone else notices that there is a change on the submission deadline? I saw the submission deadline has been updated to 03/04/2022 instead of 02/15/2022 on PostbacCas. But the Western U site has not updated anything yet and it is still 02/15/2022. I remeber speaking with Julie Smith last week and I don't think she ever mentioned an update to our submission deadline.

Has anyone else heard any anouncements regarding this update?

Thanks in advance!
I got an e-mail today saying they moved the deadline to March 4th!

Hey guys! My MCAT score is released on the 15th. What are the steps I have to take to submit my score? I just want to confirm what I already think I know!

Thank you :)
There's usually a AAMC ID# that you're supposed to report on the PostBacCAS application service that can be found on your AAMC MCAT registration/report and then your score report should be sent into the application service. Also manually enter in your score for each section along with the report, just in case.

If one's MCAT score is much higher than their average, what are the chances of getting in?

If one's MCAT score is much higher than their average, what are the chances of getting in?
If your MCAT score is higher than average, that's great! They still do consider your holistic application profile too, like why you want to go into your healthcare profession (from personal statement and interview) and what experience you have working with underserved patient populations, or if you come from an underserved community/background. Don't get me wrong, GPA and MCAT are important, but so are you as a person and what you can bring to the table as a graduate student that others can learn from you.

If your MCAT score is higher than average, that's great! They still do consider your holistic application profile too, like why you want to go into your healthcare profession (from personal statement and interview) and what experience you have working with underserved patient populations, or if you come from an underserved community/background. Don't get me wrong, GPA and MCAT are important, but so are you as a person and what you can bring to the table as a graduate student that others can learn from you.
Makes sense. Thank you. I was concerned about the score.

I got an e-mail today saying they moved the deadline to March 4th!
Hi Guys!
I applied Oct 2021 as well...Should I be concerned I have not received any emails? I have called twice and the office said my application is under review and I will be emailed with an update

Hi Guys!
I applied Oct 2021 as well...Should I be concerned I have not received any emails? I have called twice and the office said my application is under review and I will be emailed with an update
I'd say be patient and check for the update and you should be fine. Most likely, they're just trying to process all the applications that are going to come in the next couple days.

I'd say be patient and check for the update and you should be fine. Most likely, they're just trying to process all the applications that are going to come in the next couple days.
Great, thanks for the encouragement! Follow up question- are they offering classes online due to COVID, or is it mandatory in person classes?

Great, thanks for the encouragement! Follow up question- are they offering classes online due to COVID, or is it mandatory in person classes?
We’re now returning to in person classes. Some of of our classes will remain online. This all changes based on the pandemic and COVID cases.

The school is really good about watching the numbers and making the best decision for our safety based on the data.

Reactions: 1 users
OMG OMG OMG I GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITE TODAY!

Available dates:
3/29 8am or 9:50am
4/5 8am or 9:50am

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Hi, I'm a current student in the program. Ask away if you have any questions! Especially what to expect/how classes went. For any stats, PM me
Hi! Any advice on how to prepare for the interview?

Hi! Any advice on how to prepare for the interview?
Cliche advice, but show your genuine excitement for potentially becoming part of the program. Some people see this as only a graduate program and it really does shows on interview day (aka they only see it as a step into their health professional school). Yes, this does help with your candidacy when applying to your respective health professional schools, but definitely know what drove you into the healthcare field and the communities you will be representing as a future healthcare professional. Y'all probably already have many clinical experiences that'll help you answer these questions. Personally I would go over the basic interview questions (who are you, why you want to be here/medicine, eye-catching things about the program/WesternU, etc.). My method was gathering a bunch of general interview questions as well as ones more specific to healthcare experiences and scenarios (conflict resolution, working with different types of people, teamwork, accountability) into a compiled list. Then, I use a random number generator from Google to randomly select a question to practice answering on the spot. One of the biggest benefits of this is to think on your feet, and maybe throw your own flare of personality to help you stand out. But of course, stay professional during the interview. I'm currently doing that for my D.O. interviews right now and I would like to think that technique is still helping LOL. Good luck everyone!

It was a relatively long interview (several hours) and I don't even remember taking a bathroom break because I was so nervous. But they do give you time to interact with the other prospective applicants as well as past MSMS alumni / faculty. Don't drink too much caffeine or dairy if you're lactose intolerant like me LOL.

• Love
I'm not too sure tbh. For the current cohort, we're going back in person this upcoming week, but depending on the statistics of COVID cases, they'll let you know if it's in person or online (changes can happen).

Hey everyone, when do you think we will hear back. I interviewed on 3/29.

I checked last year. They interviewed 4/9 and 4/16, which were Fridays. The first batch heard back 4/24, which was a Saturday. They said within 2 weeks, so hopefully by next Tuesday.

Cool thanks for the info. I just checked on the interview page and the interview day booklet and it says we should know 2 weeks after the interview date. So yeah hopefully on Tuesday! :eek:🤞

I was offered an interview today... so excited. Scheduled for 4/12!

Anyone know how many people are interviewing this year? Im just curious if it's less or more than prior years. And for those who have already interviewed, how did it go?

Anyone know how many people are interviewing this year? Im just curious if it's less or more than prior years. And for those who have already interviewed, how did it go?
Hi I think around 72, because during my session they had 12 candidates and two sessions per interview date. The interview was good, reasonable questions and I really enjoyed talking with the interviewers. Just be yourself. :)

Hi I think around 72, because during my session they had 12 candidates and two sessions per interview date. The interview was good, reasonable questions and I really enjoyed talking with the interviewers. Just be yourself. :)
Thank you for the insight! It sounds like your interview went well, I hope you hear some good news soon! 🤞

Cliche advice, but show your genuine excitement for potentially becoming part of the program. Some people see this as only a graduate program and it really does shows on interview day (aka they only see it as a step into their health professional school). Yes, this does help with your candidacy when applying to your respective health professional schools, but definitely know what drove you into the healthcare field and the communities you will be representing as a future healthcare professional. Y'all probably already have many clinical experiences that'll help you answer these questions. Personally I would go over the basic interview questions (who are you, why you want to be here/medicine, eye-catching things about the program/WesternU, etc.). My method was gathering a bunch of general interview questions as well as ones more specific to healthcare experiences and scenarios (conflict resolution, working with different types of people, teamwork, accountability) into a compiled list. Then, I use a random number generator from Google to randomly select a question to practice answering on the spot. One of the biggest benefits of this is to think on your feet, and maybe throw your own flare of personality to help you stand out. But of course, stay professional during the interview. I'm currently doing that for my D.O. interviews right now and I would like to think that technique is still helping LOL. Good luck everyone!

It was a relatively long interview (several hours) and I don't even remember taking a bathroom break because I was so nervous. But they do give you time to interact with the other prospective applicants as well as past MSMS alumni / faculty. Don't drink too much caffeine or dairy if you're lactose intolerant like me LOL.
I know there is no official linkage but I read somewhere that most of their students get into WesternU's various programs. Just wanted to know your opinion and whether this has been your experience. It is difficult to find this information. Your input is appreciated. Thank you.

How was your interview today?
It was ok! I keep replaying everything in my head and wish I said things that I forgot to say. But I think it was clear that I was nervous. 😅 It could honestly go either way at this point! There were 9 of us interviewing in my session. Everyone looked like really good candidates..