WesternU MSMS 2023-2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBreakfastBurrito

Reaction score
Hello,
I am applying this cycle. Anyone know more details about this program? Any advice for interviews? Anyone else applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a current student in the MSMS program, feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I applied to the program in early September and I still haven't heard back from the admission's office. Should I be worried ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I applied to the program in early September and I still haven't heard back from the admission's office. Should I be worried ?
I wouldn't be too worried. Admissions will reach out with next steps after the application deadline (which I believe is some time this month), regardless of when you applied. Just a matter of waiting at this point!

Reactions: 1 user
just got an interview invite as well!

I'm a current student in the MSMS program, feel free to message me if you have any questions!
I couldn’t really find any info on the linkage to the medical school. What are the required stats to have a successful linkage?

I couldn’t really find any info on the linkage to the medical school. What are the required stats to have a successful linkage?
A follow up question to my previous question: if you already passed the min MCAT, but still have sub500, will getting into their med school still doable? Or do you suggest retake to get above 500?

Hi! Would ya'll be able to let the thread know your submission date and stats, if you're comfortable? Thank you!!!

It's pretty unclear - I've heard MCAT 495+ somewhere for DO (unsure if this is true) but it is definitely program-specific and varies. According to the MSMS Interview Day Guidebook it says under linkage information "Candidates should ensure that they remain eligible for the program they intend to link to (i.e. COMP/DO, CDM/DM, CHS/MSPA, CHS/DPT, COP/PharmD, and COP/DPM). Each program has their own specific requirements for MSMS students/graduates to link to the program. Plan ahead, especially for standardized tests (MCAT, DAT), and apply early to allow time to remedy any application issues before the deadline."

It's pretty unclear - I've heard MCAT 495+ somewhere for DO (unsure if this is true) but it is definitely program-specific and varies. According to the MSMS Interview Day Guidebook it says under linkage information "Candidates should ensure that they remain eligible for the program they intend to link to (i.e. COMP/DO, CDM/DM, CHS/MSPA, CHS/DPT, COP/PharmD, and COP/DPM). Each program has their own specific requirements for MSMS students/graduates to link to the program. Plan ahead, especially for standardized tests (MCAT, DAT), and apply early to allow time to remedy any application issues before the deadline."
Do you know if they require a specific DAT score for their linkage program to Dental school ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently, in order to link into WesternU's medical school, you need a minimum 494 MCAT score and a 3.1 GPA in the program with no more than 2 Cs.

A follow up question to my previous question: if you already passed the min MCAT, but still have sub500, will getting into their med school still doable? Or do you suggest retake to get above 500?
If you are accepted into the MSMS program, you just need to meet the 494 MCAT score to be able to link into WesternU's medical school. Unless you are applying to other medical schools, then you likely don't need to retake the MCAT if you have already met the minimum score.

Do you know if they require a specific DAT score for their linkage program to Dental school ?
I believe that to be eligible for a linkage to the dental school, you need a 18 overall and no less than 16 in each section. But acceptance into the MSMS program usually means that your DAT score has met the requirements (which does not apply for linkages to other programs, like their med school).

If you are accepted into the MSMS program, you just need to meet the 494 MCAT score to be able to link into WesternU's medical school. Unless you are applying to other medical schools, then you likely don't need to retake the MCAT if you have already met the minimum score.
Awesome my mcat is above a 494 but below 500. I will probably be applying to other med schools as well but my goal by atttending msms is to get into Western COMP. So I’m good with the mcat I have now? Just if I get accepted to the program keep up my gpa.

Awesome my mcat is above a 494 but below 500. I will probably be applying to other med schools as well but my goal by atttending msms is to get into Western COMP. So I’m good with the mcat I have now? Just if I get accepted to the program keep up my gpa.
Yes, as long as you meet the 494 minimum MCAT score and maintain a 3.1 GPA within the program, you should be on track with the linkage requirements for COMP.

Also do you know a bit more about the interview format? The email they sent said it’s a two 15 min behavioral-questions interviews. So is it like MMI?

Also do you know a bit more about the interview format? The email they sent said it’s a two 15 min behavioral-questions interviews. So is it like MMI?
That description sounds a bit different from our interview last year. We had 3 x 30-minute sessions in the interview, none of which were MMI. Not sure if they will be changing the format given the description provided in that email.

That description sounds a bit different from our interview last year. We had 3 x 30-minute sessions in the interview, none of which were MMI. Not sure if they will be changing the format given the description provided in that email.
Oh ok that’s interesting. The email actually included a link with interview info: “During the two 15-minute interviews you will be asked behavioral-based questions, meaning that you will be asked to draw from personal experience to formulate your answers. Questions may also address your prior academic records since we are trying to assess your academic readiness for the program.”

I’ll contact them just to be sure tho.

Oh ok that’s interesting. The email actually included a link with interview info: “During the two 15-minute interviews you will be asked behavioral-based questions, meaning that you will be asked to draw from personal experience to formulate your answers. Questions may also address your prior academic records since we are trying to assess your academic readiness for the program.”

I’ll contact them just to be sure tho.
Just checked my previous email from my MSMS interview invite and I noticed it mentioned the same thing. However, my interview wasn't structured in this way. Instead, we had interviews with a few faculty members and a chance to speak with current students in the program. I remember being asked some situational questions (eg. "What would you do if this happened..."), but not sure if those meet the conditions for being "behavioral-based questions."

I have my interview tomorrow and was reading through the interview booklet. Does anyone know if we actually have to write a timed essay????

268F76FB-9A5C-4777-9421-4E37A14CB904.png

@Cali894

I have my interview tomorrow and was reading through the interview booklet. Does anyone know if we actually have to write a timed essay????
I talked to a former MSMS student who is already at WesternU and she didn’t mention that

I’m hoping it’s just an old practice from before it was online.
Yea.. the email they sent didn’t mention that so they probably won’t do it. I mean it wouldn’t make sense that they waste time on zoom for us to do a writing sample.

How’s everyone feeling for tomorrow? Marks the 2 week date from interviews

If no one else got an email today, then they'll probably send out decisions the first week of May ( between May 1st - May 5th) according to last year.

Has anyone asked or heard anything about when we could expect to hear back? I’m assuming the first week of May based on last year :/

Anyone interviewed after 3/31? or only one interview date this year?

I withdrew my application. I talked to current and past students and I heard the program had a lot of admin changes that affected the curriculum and student experience a lot. I applied to other SMPs that sound more organized. Best of luck to everyone else who applied this year and to those who get in.

Reactions: 2 users
I withdrew my application. I talked to current and past students and I heard the program had a lot of admin changes that affected the curriculum and student experience a lot. I applied to other SMPs that sound more organized. Best of luck to everyone else who applied this year and to those who get in.
What other SMP’s did you apply to if you don’t mind me asking?

I heard the same from a former student as well. I haven’t withdrawn my application but might. I also applied to other programs (ARCOM Masters, Touro Ca Masters, and KCU COB) I got accepted to all 3.

I just reached out to my counselor. She said they still reviewing interviewed candidates, expect decision 2-4 weeks :(

I just reached out to my counselor. She said they still reviewing interviewed candidates, expect decision 2-4 weeks :(
Unbelievable ! Well ISAC starts in exactly 5 weeks and 6 days so we will have less than 3 weeks to pack up and move there if accepted.

Unbelievable ! Well ISAC starts in exactly 5 weeks and 6 days so we will have less than 3 weeks to pack up and move there if accepted.
Exactly! How are people supposed to find housing and anticipate moving when decisions could come out a week or so before the program starting?! 🙃

• Sad