You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What age did you get accepted into med school?
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
28, had already majored in biochemistry and taken prereqs so didn't need another degree. Still OMS-1 but interested in psych or primary care.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
34
Yes
Started taking prereqs at about 29 while working full time
Still in MS
Yes
Started taking prereqs at about 29 while working full time
Still in MS
34- just got accepted, will be 35 when I matriculate. Went back for MS at 32. Unsure of specialty still.
love your groudon pfp33
No
Na
Dematology/Dermatopathology
34
No, but had to go back to complete prereqs
32
Don't know about specialty yet
No, but had to go back to complete prereqs
32
Don't know about specialty yet
What age were you when you got accepted into med school? Did you have to go back to get your undergrad or another degree before applying? If so what was your age were you when you went back to college? What is your specialty?
Accepted and matriculated at 30
Resumed my BS at 27 and finished at 30
Planning on matching integrated vascular surgery next week
34
No
Anesthesiology
No
Anesthesiology
37
I didn't have to, but I'm finishing an MPH right now
35
Probably I'm a future pediatric infectious disease specialist.
I didn't have to, but I'm finishing an MPH right now
35
Probably I'm a future pediatric infectious disease specialist.
- 30 when I was accepted
- I had to complete a DIY post-bacc and a formal SMP because I have a sub-3.0 from undergrad
- 25 when I started my DIY post-bacc--still maintained a FT job during this time, and 28 when I started my SMP
- Not sure, but most interested in ophtho and gas. I think I would really enjoy a surgical subspecialty, but have ruled most out due to the lifestyle commitment (I wanna have kids! And be a present parent lol.)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
36
DIY post-bacc at 34
Child neurologist with subspecialty in movement disorders
DIY post-bacc at 34
Child neurologist with subspecialty in movement disorders
34, I matriculate in the fall.
I started taking pre-med classes at 25, but I've had a couple of major issues along the way.
I'm not sure about specialty yet, but I'm leaning ER or OB/GYN.
I started taking pre-med classes at 25, but I've had a couple of major issues along the way.
I'm not sure about specialty yet, but I'm leaning ER or OB/GYN.
40
No, but had to take post-bacc classes (36 y/o)
Current general surgery resident
No, but had to take post-bacc classes (36 y/o)
Current general surgery resident
That's amazing! I am entering medical school at 38 and thought there were fields that were totally closed to me because of longer residencies. Thank you for reminding me anything is possible! My dream is a pediatric infectious disease specialty, and that will also be 5 years after med school. I wondered if it was really doable.40
No, but had to take post-bacc classes (36 y/o)
Current general surgery resident
D
deleted1079620
38, 39 at matriculationWhat age were you when you got accepted into med school? Did you have to go back to get your undergrad or another degree before applying? If so what was your age were you when you went back to college? What is your specialty?
Yes, had to start my bachelors from scratch at 33, stayed for a Masters
No specialty yet, but likely rural FM.
Definitely doable! I had applied to a lot of residency program since I was concerned that my age may be a factor. Ended up having to turn down a bunch of interviews and only had my age brought up once during interviews (and it definitely didn't affect my chances with that program).That's amazing! I am entering medical school at 38 and thought there were fields that were totally closed to me because of longer residencies. Thank you for reminding me anything is possible! My dream is a pediatric infectious disease specialty, and that will also be 5 years after med school. I wondered if it was really doable.
I've been getting so bummed out because I need to push my application another year (family situation, wouldn't be able to relocate for 2022) and am turning 31 this year, but damn do these stories give me hope. Thanks for sharing everyone.
Keep going! You're never too old until you say you are!I've been getting so bummed out because I need to push my application another year (family situation, wouldn't be able to relocate for 2022) and am turning 31 this year, but damn do these stories give me hope. Thanks for sharing everyone.
I was 22 when I started college. Took me 8 years to finish undergrad, graduated May 2020. Had to drop out a couple times for family and financial reasons which of course delayed my application. I applied when I was 30, was accepted, but deferred for a year because I had my first child. I am matriculating this fall, will be turning 32 a month in. I never lost sight of my goal. Not everyone gets a straight and easy path into medical school and that is completely okay. Don't lose hope, it's not a race after all 🙂I've been getting so bummed out because I need to push my application another year (family situation, wouldn't be able to relocate for 2022) and am turning 31 this year, but damn do these stories give me hope. Thanks for sharing everyone.
35
Yes, I did a DIY post-bacc after getting a BSN
32
Just accepted, prob EM or gas, whatever will get me to a CC fellowship
Yes, I did a DIY post-bacc after getting a BSN
32
Just accepted, prob EM or gas, whatever will get me to a CC fellowship
29 when accepted, 30 upon matriculation. Had a graduate degree for another field. Took a long diy postbac but ended up at my dream school with a scholarship so it worked out. Interested in surgery.
31 accepted / 32 when I started
No, just took 3 classes I was missing
Anesthesiology
No, just took 3 classes I was missing
Anesthesiology
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
31
Yes
26
Internal Medicine
Yes
26
Internal Medicine
Accepted at 26; 27 when started medical school
Yes; started Masters degree at 25 and finished at 26
Incoming Plastic Surgery Resident at 34
Yes; started Masters degree at 25 and finished at 26
Incoming Plastic Surgery Resident at 34
atnightingale
Full Member
42. Accepted last week. I already have 2 bachelors, so not that, but I did need to go back for O chem, Bio-chem, and Physics.
Yay! I'm 42 as well, applying next year. Congrats to you! I love hearing about people > 40 getting in.42. Accepted last week. I already have 2 bachelors, so not that, but I did need to go back for O chem, Bio-chem, and Physics.
D
deleted1103055
Yay! I'm 42 as well, applying next year. Congrats to you! I love hearing about people > 40 getting in.
54-year-old medical student at Wake Forest School of Medicine is living her dream
Suzanne Watson couldn’t help but laugh when she received her AARP card and her acceptance letter from Wake Forest School of Medicine in the same week at the age of
27 accepted, started at 29. I came in with a masters degree. Bizarrely, I was the second oldest person in my class? And I just matched into Psychiatry. All my interviewers on the Psychiatry interview trail loved that I had experiences prior to medical school. It works in your favor!
What was your masters in?27 accepted, started at 29. I came in with a masters degree. Bizarrely, I was the second oldest person in my class? And I just matched into Psychiatry. All my interviewers on the Psychiatry interview trail loved that I had experiences prior to medical school. It works in your favor!
I was 30 when I started med school. After graduating college I spent several years in the army. Then got out, went back to school for 2 years to raise my GPA and applied at 29.
EM —> critical care
EM —> critical care
Accepted at 28. Matriculating at 29. I have an MS and worked in public health for 5 years.
D
deleted367183
36 at acceptance, 37 matriculating. Now I'm in pathology (heading into forensics).
Such an inspiration.36 at acceptance, 37 matriculating. Now I'm in pathology (heading into forensics
Plenty of responses already, but I found threads like this encouraging when I was trying to decide whether to take the plunge...so why not add mine to the pile?
37
No, but took a few upper-level bio courses to "refresh" my transcripts.
35
I'll let you know when I figure it out. 🙂
37
No, but took a few upper-level bio courses to "refresh" my transcripts.
35
I'll let you know when I figure it out. 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Matriculating this year at 28.
Did a DIY post-bacc at community college to wrap up prerequisites (5 classes total). Luckily my undergrad major covered a good chunk of premed courses.
26 when I started the premed journey.
Interested in many IM specialties.
Did a DIY post-bacc at community college to wrap up prerequisites (5 classes total). Luckily my undergrad major covered a good chunk of premed courses.
26 when I started the premed journey.
Interested in many IM specialties.
I was 27 when I started schoolWhat age were you when you got accepted into med school? Did you have to go back to get your undergrad or another degree before applying? If so what was your age were you when you went back to college? What is your specialty?
I just used my previous bachelors I’d earned towards (nursing) and just took pre-reqs.
Internal medicine
What age were you when you got accepted into med school? Did you have to go back to get your undergrad or another degree before applying? If so what was your age were you when you went back to college? What is your specialty?
29/30
Just had to complete organic chem and take MCATS, worked as a physical therapist during this time, around 28/29
Radiology
54
Didn't have to, but felt it would improve my odds. Good decision.
50
Internal Medicine-->Psychiatry
Didn't have to, but felt it would improve my odds. Good decision.
50
Internal Medicine-->Psychiatry
Similar threads
- Replies
- 19
- Views
- 12K