What are my chances at surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aah72

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian IMG from one of the big 4 caribbean schools applying for surgery in the US this fall. Im trying to get some publications but right now all I've been able to do is a poster and some case reports. My step 1 is pretty good but not incredible (>250) I haven't taken step 2 yet (from my practice tests it seems like I'm going to do about the same...). All my clinical rotations are in the US (all of my letters will be from US MDs) and I'm doing three sub-Is at different hospitals but am just wondering what my chances are of matching into a categorical spot , or if anyone has any advice on improving my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Canadian IMG from one of the big 4 caribbean schools applying for surgery in the US this fall. Im trying to get some publications but right now all I've been able to do is a poster and some case reports. My step 1 is pretty good but not incredible (>250) I haven't taken step 2 yet (from my practice tests it seems like I'm going to do about the same...). All my clinical rotations are in the US (all of my letters will be from US MDs) and I'm doing three sub-Is at different hospitals but am just wondering what my chances are of matching into a categorical spot , or if anyone has any advice on improving my chances.

Look for programs that have a history of taking residents from your school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/hhr-rhs/postgrad-postdoc/cat_b-list-liste-eng.php

There are only 15 statements of need being issued for surgery by Canada this year, so your biggest difficulty might be that, as those spots tend to go to Canadian graduates of mainland schools. You wouldn't be the first story we've seen where someone goes to all the trouble to match surgery, only to be denied a SON and end up unable to start their residency care of Canada's nonsense visa system.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/hhr-rhs/postgrad-postdoc/cat_b-list-liste-eng.php

There are only 15 statements of need being issued for surgery by Canada this year, so your biggest difficulty might be that, as those spots tend to go to Canadian graduates of mainland schools. You wouldn't be the first story we've seen where someone goes to all the trouble to match surgery, only to be denied a SON and end up unable to start their residency care of Canada's nonsense visa system.
I was looking at that the other day, This year it seemed like they had letters go unfilled and that as long as you get everything in on time you should be fine (reason why i really don't want to soap). But in all honesty if that's my biggest issue I;m sure I think I'd be able to figure out the visa (as long as I match...). Thanks for all the advice guys I really appreciate it.

I was looking at that the other day, This year it seemed like they had letters go unfilled and that as long as you get everything in on time you should be fine (reason why i really don't want to soap). But in all honesty if that's my biggest issue I;m sure I think I'd be able to figure out the visa (as long as I match...). Thanks for all the advice guys I really appreciate it.
Surgery went unfilled last year? Surprising. Your biggest issue will be matching, with a second very large issue if you can't get a SoN. I've seen it happen before to people in other fields- I remember this one guy going into rads that had your same attitude toward things and ended up having to give up his spot after couples matching because there is absolutely no flexibility in regard to extra SoNs being handed out.

Surgery went unfilled last year? Surprising. Your biggest issue will be matching, with a second very large issue if you can't get a SoN. I've seen it happen before to people in other fields- I remember this one guy going into rads that had your same attitude toward things and ended up having to give up his spot after couples matching because there is absolutely no flexibility in regard to extra SoNs being handed out.
Yeah I looked at the list last year and they had 15 spots for the year and only ended up giving out 13 visas it seems. I'm not saying I'm not worried about it but to get the SoNs its a matter of having all your paperwork lined up and getting it in as soon as you find out you matched as it's a timing issue rather than a quality of applicant/program thing.

Yeah I looked at the list last year and they had 15 spots for the year and only ended up giving out 13 visas it seems. I'm not saying I'm not worried about it but to get the SoNs its a matter of having all your paperwork lined up and getting it in as soon as you find out you matched as it's a timing issue rather than a quality of applicant/program thing.
I'm just sayin', don't underestimate that hurdle like this guy.

Your biggest hurdle will still be matching categorical surg though.