DO what are my chances? considering the new change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pavingtheroadtoDO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my current grades:
Bio 1 and 2: B
Chem 1 and 2: C
Orgo 1 and 2: C+
Physics 1 and 2: C+ and B+
Calc 1 and 2: Retaking calc 1 and B+
Currently taking Biochem.

I plan to retake my chem classes to get a better grade. Not sure about my physics class yet. Is this a smart choice?

Volunteer hours: over 500
Shadowing hours: close to 200
Scribe hours: over 1000
EMT hours: close to 100

I will be doing research this summer. Previously did summer research.

I have not yet taken the MCAT, but plan to next year. Did an online practice test once without really studying and scored close to 500. Currently studying now.

Members don't see this ad.

I plan to retake my chem classes to get a better grade. Not sure about my physics class yet. Is this a smart choice?

I have not yet taken the MCAT, but plan to next year. Did an online practice test once without really studying and scored close to 500. Currently studying now.

I think you need to start pulling A's from now on. Stop earning anything less than a A-. I don't know if I'm being harsh but you need to be ahead of the pack in requisite courses, not middle of the pack. Your extracurriculars look plenty, but how do you know that you can keep up in med school if you aren't consistently pulling A's in undergrad?

Don't leave any doubt that you will be able to perform well if you get accepted.

EC's look great, and no idea what your gpa is but if sGPA and cGPA are both >3.30 you'll be okay.

As for the MCAT, there is the occasional individual that gets in with <500 but they usually have killer GPA's (3.7+) and EC's to have that overlooked; shoot for a BALANCED 505+. If you aren't breaking 500 on practice exams, save yourself the time and money and give yourself more time; you will not want to take that beast twice.

Good luck, OP!

Note: the reason I emphasize having a BALANCED MCAT score is because I have a good friend of mine that has good EC's, 3.6/503 (124/124/131/124) and got rejected from all schools they applied to (24 total, 1/2 DO and 1/2 MD) except for two (one in state MD and in state DO.) Both schools they interviewed at wait listed them, and it was because of that obscure MCAT spread.

TL/DR: Knowing a decent amount about everything >>> Knowing everything about one thing and bombing everything else

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't retake the chems. Just do well in your upper division courses

Reactions: 1 user
Need a cGPA and sGPA to better give advice.

Reactions: 1 user

Destroy upper division courses and only retake Gen Chems if you are certain you will ace them. EC's look great, just continue chugging away at the volunteering portion and add meaningful research. I'd stop shadowing at this point and allocate that time to either studying or volunteering(anything over 60 hours for shadowing is really overkill). So long as you can keep you cGPA and sGPA around the 3.4-3.5 mark you will get in somewhere provided your MCAT is 500+(I know there are exceptions to this but this is a good rule of thumb). Hope this helps OP.