MD What are my chances for California schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WayneRooney

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this.
I am currently a Hispanic Male student/ senior at one of the UCs.
Major: Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology
GPA (From 2.79 freshman) to=3.4 overall.
Science GPA= 3.4
Two Graduate Level Courses Taken= 4.0 GPA
MCAT: 500
Research= 3 yrs. upon graduation
E.C.= Elected Vice President for Undergraduate Students (Student Government)
Extensive (REALLY) work in elevating underrepresented communities on my campus- too many too list.
L.O.R.= 4 Biology faculty members and school's chancellor(President), I have a great/intimate relationship with all of them.
Clinical Experience: 6 months of shadowing.

What are my chances for getting into a decent California Medical School?

Feedback from students with similar backgrounds or grades would be extra helpful : )

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Being completely honest, your 500 MCAT and 3.4 sGPA (despite upward trend) probably disqualifies you from all of the MD California schools... Yeah URM is great and all, especially if you want to apply to MD schools out of state, but California has enough URM applying with higher MCAT and GPAs than you already.

So yeah your chances are really low in California unless you retake your MCAT and hit ~506+. Probably the same for DO schools in California too since their average MCAT is going up fast.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Chances zero as of right now. Ace a full year, ad retake the MCAT. Are you of Mexican heritage?

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this.
I am currently a Hispanic Male student/ senior at one of the UCs.
Major: Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology
GPA (From 2.79 freshman) to=3.4 overall.
Science GPA= 3.4
Two Graduate Level Courses Taken= 4.0 GPA
MCAT: 500
Research= 3 yrs. upon graduation
E.C.= Elected Vice President for Undergraduate Students (Student Government)
Extensive (REALLY) work in elevating underrepresented communities on my campus- too many too list.
L.O.R.= 4 Biology faculty members and school's chancellor(President), I have a great/intimate relationship with all of them.
Clinical Experience: 6 months of shadowing.

What are my chances for getting into a decent California Medical School?

Feedback from students with similar backgrounds or grades would be extra helpful : )

Re-take the MCAT. Shoot for a 510+