What are my chances for these two schools/advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corndog1295

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied back in July and have gotten denials from Wake Forest, VCU, Tulane, and George Washington.
My main focuses are UNC (doubtful) and Brody School of Medicine (ECU), and I have heard from neither.

GPA: 3.609
Science: 3.4 (excluding nutrition courses and with C+ in Anatomy)
MCAT: 499

Extra Curricular:
I have worked at an eye doctors office since high school with 950+ hours of patient contact
I have volunteered at a local hospital since high school in post surgery as well with pet therapy, 200+ patient contact hours
I have volunteered with the blind community and with pet therapy training groups
I have shadowed ER (45 hours) Oral surgery (12 hours) Hospitalist (4) and Pediatric Specialty Care (8)
I have worked 1 semester as a General Chemistry TA and taught my own review session, and I am currently a Biochemistry TA for 2 professors, 1 Grad/Undergrad level (the class I took, this is my 2nd semester TAing) and the normal level biochem (first semester TAing).
I have held two positions in my sorority, as well.

I am also a white female, applying to go straight out of college, and do not have any family members in the medical field.

For the most part I am curious about my chances with ECU. A lot of my friends with similar applications have gotten interviews and I have not.. I am wondering if they are waiting to see my grades from this semester.
I also am curious what I could do to improve my application for when I reapply. I already am planning on retaking the MCAT and I am taking an EMT course next semester, but not sure what else I should do..

Any sort of advice would be great! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied back in July and have gotten denials from Wake Forest, VCU, Tulane, and George Washington.
My main focuses are UNC (doubtful) and Brody School of Medicine (ECU), and I have heard from neither.

Extra Curricular:
I have worked at an eye doctors office since high school with 950+ hours of patient contact
I have volunteered at a local hospital since high school in post surgery as well with pet therapy, 200+ patient contact hours
I have volunteered with the blind community and with pet therapy training groups
I have shadowed ER (45 hours) Oral surgery (12 hours) Hospitalist (4) and Pediatric Specialty Care (8)
I have worked 1 semester as a General Chemistry TA and taught my own review session, and I am currently a Biochemistry TA for 2 professors, 1 Grad/Undergrad level (the class I took, this is my 2nd semester TAing) and the normal level biochem (first semester TAing).

I am also a white female, applying to go straight out of college, and do not have any family members in the medical field.

For the most part I am curious about my chances with ECU. A lot of my friends with similar applications have gotten interviews and I have not.. I am wondering if they are waiting to see my grades from this semester.
I also am curious what I could do to improve my application for when I reapply. I already am planning on retaking the MCAT and I am taking an EMT course next semester, but not sure what else I should do..

There is a separate forum for What Are My Chances posts. Regardless, your MCAT is absolutely lethal for MD programs. Your science GPA is also quite low. Your ECs are fine but your stats will get you screened out. Your clinical experience is fine: you don't really need the EMT course next year and I would use that time to increase your MCAT substantially (probably at least to around a 510), as well as maybe take a few more science courses to boost your sGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a separate forum for What Are My Chances posts. Regardless, your MCAT is absolutely lethal for MD programs. Your science GPA is also quite low. Your ECs are fine but your stats will get you screened out. Your clinical experience is fine: you don't really need the EMT course next year and I would use that time to increase your MCAT substantially (probably at least to around a 510), as well as maybe take a few more science courses to boost your sGPA.

Thanks so much for the advice! yeah I know my MCAT sucked but I had my whole application done by the time i got my score back so I just decided to apply anyways :/
Do you think retaking it December/January would make a difference for this cycle?

Thanks so much for the advice! yeah I know my MCAT sucked but I had my whole application done by the time i got my score back so I just decided to apply anyways :/
Do you think retaking it December/January would make a difference for this cycle?

No. Too late for this cycle -- most schools won't take scores later than September. Study until you're confident you can get the score you need and take it then.

Your mCAT score is lethal for all MD schools and a good number of DO. You'd be auto-reject at mine, AZCOM, CCOM, KCU, CUSOM, BCOM, PCOM and the coastal Touros.

Extra Curricular: