What are my chances? I'm a licensed chiropractor!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dietcoke305

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my Doctor of Chiropractic, on top of 2 B.S. and 1 M.S.

26Q MCAT, 3.01 undergrad GPA, 3.4 Grad.

Applied to MD schools last year without getting an interview. Trying DO this round. Opened my own practice, but hate that chiros think they are 'real' docs. I feel so limited in what I can do and I'm not going to cure someone's asthma by popping their back. I'd love more than anything to get into DO school and sell my practice.

What are your thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's going to happen. The GPA is too low, unless you somehow managed to have a real high science GPA.

Anything else we should know? EC? Past MCATs? Planning on retake? Taking new courses recently, etc?

Anything else we should know? EC? Past MCATs? Planning on retake? Taking new courses recently, etc?

Not really, besides some work experience. Besides working as a licensed chiropractor in my own practice, I work part-time at a hospital as a phlebotomist, drawing inpatients. My clinical experience is extensive, including shadowing, voluteering, etc. No current plans to retake MCAT, though, if I could swing it, I'd like to do a post-bacc and retake all the pre-reqs that didn't go so well in undergrad. Most of them were retaken during chiro school but I don't believe chiro/professional school grades are really taken into consideration though they are looked at.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your MCAT score is fine, if balanced. Taking advantage of the AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy could be an ideal way to make yourself competitive quickly. A great thing about this is that you can automatically update your grades to each school through AACOMAS by sending them your fall official transcript. How much damage control could you do in one semester (keeping in mind that retakes must have the same credit hours or greater, need not be at the same school, and need not have the same course title provided the course catalogs show the content is similar)?

DO GPA calculation spreadsheet: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050

What is your science GPA. Was your masters in a science discipline? Can you get some LORs collected/updated quickly, particularly a DO shadowing LOR (not essential at all DO schools) if you plan to apply this cycle?

If you get an interview, make sure you let the adcoms know your license is in good standing. I was given that advice by a dean I spoke with, where I was wait listed. I am licensed in 2 jurisdictions to practice dentistry (in good standing with no reprimands) and will be making the adcoms aware of this, this time around.