What are my chances? Need some hope.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pseudonym123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently doing a Master's of Arts in Biological Sciences program in Philadelphia, PA that is geared to help people boost their GPA. In my undergraduate years, I graduated with a 2.895 GPA in New Jersey while 1) interning at a hospital, 2) working as an emergency services volunteer, 3) working as a babysitter to a doctor, and finally 4) working with mentally disabled individuals. I was also able to be a part of the Northeast Regional Med prep alliance program specific for individuals who want to go to medical school. I dedicated two summers until my GPA went down a bit to a 2.895.

Where I am now though: Doing my Masters of Arts in Biological Science, doing microbiological related research with a professor, and teaching science to young kids in impoverished areas. I know I need to do the MCAT but I am so terrified of it. I don't know where to start. I am finding all of it overwhelming..If anyone has a blog or anything highlighting what you did to get into medical school and how you studied, I would like to see it because I need some guidance..

What would I need to get into medical school? Should I even consider it? What about DO or physician assistant if all else fails? I just need an opinion of what to do if I happen to do exceptionally well this year in my masters program..

What should I apply to after my Master's?

This is an overview of my grades in the required courses for medical school:

Biology 1: B-

Biology Lab 1: B-

Biology 2: A

Biology Lab 2: B-

Chemistry 1: A

Chemistry Lab 1: A-

Chemistry 2: B-

Chemistry Lab 2: B-

Organic chemistry 1: C

Organic chemistry 1 lab: B

Organic chemistry 2: C

Organic chemistry 2 lab: B-

Physics 1: C-

Physics Lab 1: A

Physics 2: C

Physics Lab 2: A-

Calculus: B

English: A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am currently doing a Master's of Arts in Biological Sciences program in Philadelphia, PA that is geared to help people boost their GPA. In my undergraduate years, I graduated with a 2.895 GPA in New Jersey while 1) interning at a hospital, 2) working as an emergency services volunteer, 3) working as a babysitter to a doctor, and finally 4) working with mentally disabled individuals. I was also able to be a part of the Northeast Regional Med prep alliance program specific for individuals who want to go to medical school. I dedicated two summers until my GPA went down a bit to a 2.895.

Where I am now though: Doing my Masters of Arts in Biological Science, doing microbiological related research with a professor, and teaching science to young kids in impoverished areas. I know I need to do the MCAT but I am so terrified of it. I don't know where to start. I am finding all of it overwhelming..If anyone has a blog or anything highlighting what you did to get into medical school and how you studied, I would like to see it because I need some guidance..

What would I need to get into medical school? Should I even consider it? What about DO or physician assistant if all else fails? I just need an opinion of what to do if I happen to do exceptionally well this year in my masters program..

What should I apply to after my Master's?

This is an overview of my grades in the required courses for medical school:

Biology 1: B-

Biology Lab 1: B-

Biology 2: A

Biology Lab 2: B-

Chemistry 1: A

Chemistry Lab 1: A-

Chemistry 2: B-

Chemistry Lab 2: B-

Organic chemistry 1: C

Organic chemistry 1 lab: B

Organic chemistry 2: C

Organic chemistry 2 lab: B-

Physics 1: C-

Physics Lab 1: A

Physics 2: C

Physics Lab 2: A-

Calculus: B

English: A

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Grades from a Master's degree will not help you get into an MD program or remediate a weak undergraduate gpa.
Investigate DO grade replacement and shore up your content mastery before taking the MCAT. A single strong MCAT score is the best strategy.

Reactions: 1 user
The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.
Thank you, Hopefully if I do well doing my Masters then maybe I will have the confidence to go further..

upload_2016-8-31_16-45-0.png

upload_2016-8-31_16-45-21.png

Impressive follow-through, that being said, in response to your questions:

1. What should you do if you do exceptionally well?

Apply to medical school?

2. Is there a blog or site where people wrote about getting to medical school?

Your literally on SDN.

Alot of people try to juggle many priorities at once, and fail to master any of them. Do both your masters and your MCAT if you can, but from your history, I recommend you tackle one at a time.

Last edited:
Grades from a Master's degree will not help you get into an MD program or remediate a weak undergraduate gpa.
Investigate DO grade replacement and shore up your content mastery before taking the MCAT. A single strong MCAT score is the best strategy.
The point of the Master's program that I am in is to boost applicant's GPA to apply to medical school.

I think I am just feeling overwhelmed.

You know who you are honestly in terms of strengths / weaknesses. If you can't do both the MCAT and MS at the same time, then don't.

Your academic record isn't pristine, and to do bad in both limits your options tremendously. Goro is right about the replacement route, but seeing that you are actually in said program already, the decision has been made it seems.

As such, tread lightly.

The point of the Master's program that I am in is to boost applicant's GPA to apply to medical school.
Master's degree grades are not included in the AMCAS calculation of gpa.
Even with all A's, schools that screen at 3.0 will never see your application.

Has your program shown you evidence that they have placed students with gpa's like yours into medical schools in the US?

It'll be okay. Just breathe. If you need to do something to relax (i.e a bath, gym, running, reading, anything really) do so. Then I suggest search some of the previous threads for people who were in your situation. It's definitely hard to do MCAT prep along with your MS and job so many plan some time to take the MCAT? If you want to talk specifically about the MCAT, feel free to PM me. I am a MCAT tutor/prep instructor and scored 521 so I may be able to help you.

Even with DO programs?
DO programs look at things differently.
They also let you replace scores when courses are re-taken.
Master's degree classes are not generally considered equivalent to undergrad courses. You would need to inquire as to the effect of these grades on a DO application.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
It'll be okay. Just breathe. If you need to do something to relax (i.e a bath, gym, running, reading, anything really) do so. Then I suggest search some of the previous threads for people who were in your situation. It's definitely hard to do MCAT prep along with your MS and job so many plan some time to take the MCAT? If you want to talk specifically about the MCAT, feel free to PM me. I am a MCAT tutor/prep instructor and scored 521 so I may be able to help you.
I just don't know if there is even a point in applying to medical school..I have read threads all day today and some people are saying that a Master's in Biological Science will not help me (I don't know why considering I am in a program specific for boosting my GPA) however other people are saying that it would help me..

I just don't know if there is even a point in applying to medical school..I have read threads all day today and some people are saying that a Master's in Biological Science will not help me (I don't know why considering I am in a program specific for boosting my GPA) however other people are saying that it would help me..

People are saying a SMP will help which is also a master's, but not all master's are SMP's.

Would you consider DO schools? Seems like many have grade replacement policies and the overall average GPA acceptance is lower. You should see if your Master counts as a SMP too. And knock your MCAT out of the park!

Would you consider DO schools? Seems like many have grade replacement policies and the overall average GPA acceptance is lower. You should see if your Master counts as a SMP too. And knock your MCAT out of the park!
How can I see if my Master's count as an SMP?

DO programs look at things differently.
They also let you replace scores when courses are re-taken.
Master's degree classes are not generally considered equivalent to undergrad courses. You would need to inquire as to the effect of these grades on a DO application.
What about for Physician assistant programs?

Instead of a masters degree you would likely be better off with DO grade replacement at your local university while you focus on MCAT prep. Turn several Cs into As and you'll get a nice GPA boost. Combine that with a solid MCAT and you're in a good place for a DO. The masters sounds like a lot of wasted time and money.

--
Il Destriero

@pseudonym123 PA schools are harder for you to get into than DO schools due to the fact that most CASPA schools average your grades and matriculant average is around a 3.5~3.6. Pretty funny though how most people jump to it on this site as if the standards were drastically lower when they are borderline as competitive because they fill far fewer seats in any given year. There are many schools. But you'd still need to do grade repair before hitting the war chest. You could also look for unaccredited PA schools. But I feel like mentioning it to you is like giving you a hand gun when you haven't even done due diligence on accredited PA admission.

Instead of a masters degree you would likely be better off with DO grade replacement at your local university while you focus on MCAT prep. Turn several Cs into As and you'll get a nice GPA boost. Combine that with a solid MCAT and you're in a good place for a DO. The masters sounds like a lot of wasted time and money.

--
Il Destriero
So you are telling me that the Masters program I am currently in that has advertised that it is to help me boost my GPA is something I should not be doing?

@pseudonym123 PA schools are harder for you to get into than DO schools due to the fact that most CASPA schools average your grades and matriculant average is around a 3.5~3.6. Pretty funny though how most people jump to it on this site as if the standards were drastically lower when they are borderline as competitive because they fill far fewer seats in any given year. There are many schools. But you'd still need to do grade repair before hitting the war chest. You could also look for unaccredited PA schools. But I feel like mentioning it to you is like giving you a hand gun when you haven't even done due diligence on accredited PA admission.
I did not pick the PA programs because it is "easier" I am considering every program possible where I can practice medicine.

--
Il Destriero

I have one question though...for DO programs, since we can replace grades, in my masters curriculum I am taking biochemistry which substitutes for the organic chemistry and biophysics which would substitute for the physics....can that work?

I have one question though...for DO programs, since we can replace grades, in my masters curriculum I am taking biochemistry which substitutes for the organic chemistry and biophysics which would substitute for the physics....can that work?
You will need to ask AACOMAS if master's grades can be used to replace undergrad grades.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a DO, but my understanding is that the course needs to be the same. Biochemistry is not organic chemistry just as biophysics is not physics 1, etc.
You'd get more bang with direct course replacement of all your Cs and maybe B- grades as well. That's assuming the masters grades count at all. I can't tell you anything about how any DO schools evaluate applications. I think Goro is an admissions person at a DO school. Maybe you can PM him/her.

--
Il Destriero

I wouldn't replace B- grades.

I'm not a DO, but my understanding is that the course needs to be the same. Biochemistry is not organic chemistry just as biophysics is not physics 1, etc.
You'd get more bang with direct course replacement of all your Cs and maybe B- grades as well. That's assuming the masters grades count at all. I can't tell you anything about how any DO schools evaluate applications. I think Goro is an admissions person at a DO school. Maybe you can PM him/her.

--
Il Destriero

--
Il Destriero
Some schools give the option of organic chemistry OR biochemistry but it is okay, I will be speaking to advisors from these schools

Some schools give the option of organic chemistry OR biochemistry but it is okay, I will be speaking to advisors from these schools

Yes, they do. But in terms of your GPA and DO grade replacement, even if the schools take one in lieu of another, AACOMAS will not replace an organic chemistry grade with a biochemistry one. Because it seems like grade replacement is something you'd like to take advantage of, no? You have a s(cience)GPA and a c(umulative)GPA that is noted on the application and only classes that are direct replacements will be allowed for grade replacement in order to bump up those GPA's. And that is important to note.

And gyngyn is not spreading false information. You don't know what the apps of the people who did get in looked like. What else they had going for them... How many was it out of all of the people who actually completed the program. Keep in mind the school has a vested interest in making sure you're happy with the program (i.e., of course they told you that.) . Generally, courses that come from a masters program are not utilized to affect the noted undergrad GPA and most masters programs, unless they are SMP's tend not to be viewed in the same light.

gyngyn, or anyone here is going to give you the most generalized advice that makes sense for the general public. Perhaps you are in that one special program that doesn't fit the mold. Maybe. But it doesn't mean they are spreading bad advice.

Last edited:
Oh by the way, there has been quite a lot of students that were able to get into medical school WITH this Master's program. I already spoke to my advisor. So you know and to not spread false information on other people's forums.

What did you expect them to say? And gyngyn doesn't spread false information anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users