What are my chances of getting an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsta2304

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a senior applying to only Texas schools this cycle. I recently took my DAT on August 6th. It was on the lower end. (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 18/18/21/19/13 in QR.
These are also my GPA's as stated on my application:
Overall GPA: 3.47
Overall BCPM GPA: 3.37
Undergrad GPA: 3.47
Undergrad BCPM GPA: 3.37
Undergrad Non-BCPM GPA: 3.56
I do have around 9 months of research experience.
1 year of working at a dental office while being a full-time student.
and have a lot of volunteering that has been done in food banks and a nursing home.
Also some leadership experience as well.
Anybody know what my chances kinda look like of landing an interview? I've talked to all 3 schools and they said they do not have cut-offs for individual sections. I know nobody on here is on the admissions board but I was just trying to get some advice. Would retaking the DAT in November and applying out of state be a bad idea or would i be too late in the game?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am a senior applying to only Texas schools this cycle. I recently took my DAT on August 6th. It was on the lower end. (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 18/18/21/19/13 in QR.
These are also my GPA's as stated on my application:
Overall GPA: 3.47
Overall BCPM GPA: 3.37
Undergrad GPA: 3.47
Undergrad BCPM GPA: 3.37
Undergrad Non-BCPM GPA: 3.56
I do have around 9 months of research experience.
1 year of working at a dental office while being a full-time student.
and have a lot of volunteering that has been done in food banks and a nursing home.
Also some leadership experience as well.
Anybody know what my chances kinda look like of landing an interview? I've talked to all 3 schools and they said they do not have cut-offs for individual sections. I know nobody on here is on the admissions board but I was just trying to get some advice. Would retaking the DAT in November and applying out of state be a bad idea or would i be too late in the game?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
That 13 in QR is most likely going to be an issue for at least some schools. The rest of your DAT scores are all ok, I think....but wish you had a higher GPA that would have helped balance out the 18's ;)

I've read you need a 3.6 or 3.7 if you get an 18 on your DAT, but others can chime in here if I'm wrong....

You may have a good chance with the IS schools....if not, follow your plan and apply later after a retake (or apply early for next cycle)!

Good luck!!!

With your GPA, you won't be getting into school unless you have a very solid DAT. I can't imagine a school accepting you with the 13QR. You need to get into the 20's (not just 20) on all sections.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With your GPA, you won't be getting into school unless you have a very solid DAT. I can't imagine a school accepting you with the 13QR. You need to get into the 20's (not just 20) on all sections.

He/she mentioned their DAT score

Also that is a little extreme. I had a lower sgpa (3.2) and although I did score a 21 AA/TS, I had a 16 qr and 18 PAT...... 3 interviews later no one has mentioned it.

Also that is a little extreme. I had a lower sgpa (3.2) and although I did score a 21 AA/TS, I had a 16 qr and 18 PAT...... 3 interviews later no one has mentioned it.
But, 21AA (87th percentile) vs 18AA (47th percentile) is big.
16 QR (38th percentile) vs 13 QR (7th percentile) is also big.
Your 21 sets you above the average of those that matriculate (~20.4), but an 18 does not.

OP: I don't think the odds are in your favor this cycle...for next cycle I would retake your DAT and shoot for a 21+, apply early to both TX and OOS schools. A November DAT would be really late for this cycle, but would be fine for next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
But, 21AA (87th percentile) vs 18AA (47th percentile) is big.
16 QR (38th percentile) vs 13 QR (7th percentile) is also big.
Your 21 sets you above the average of those that matriculate (~20.4), but an 18 does not.

OP: I don't think the odds are in your favor this cycle...for next cycle I would retake your DAT and shoot for a 21+, apply early to both TX and OOS schools. A November DAT would be really late for this cycle, but would be fine for next cycle.
Thanks for posting some of those stats (percentiles)....interesting to see!

Would you feel differently if they had a higher GPA (say 3.7) with getting an 18 on the DAT or would you still recommend a retake (because of the 13 in QR)?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting some of those stats (percentiles)....interesting to see!

Would you feel differently if they had a higher GPA (say 3.7) with getting an 18 on the DAT or would you still recommend a retake (because of the 13 in QR)?
Still a retake because a 3.7 is a pretty decent GPA and you want a decent DAT score to match it, which is ~21 (but this is just my opinion). People get in with all kinds of stats all the time but you want to give yourself the best chance possible.

Not extreme. This is real. Now to play devil's advocate... Sure you got 3 interviews but how many acceptances?

At this point it is easier to change your DAT by 3-5 points than your GPA by 0.25. Just hit up the DAT section and learn the proper way to prepare for the DAT and get the score you need to get an acceptance.

Edit: Corrected GPA

Not extreme. This is real. Now to play devil's advocate... Sure you got 3 interviews but how many acceptances?

At this point it is easier to change your DAT by 3-5 points than your GPA by 0.25. Just hit up the DAT section and learn the proper way to prepare for the DAT and get the score you need to get an acceptance.

Ill be sure to let you know in 3 months.

Reactions: 1 users
Not extreme. This is real. Now to play devil's advocate... Sure you got 3 interviews but how many acceptances.
If he does well on the interviews, isn’t it an even playing field at that point? Or do they still count lower or average stats as a detriment? (Honest question as I don’t know what takes place after interviews with the discussions amongst the committee).

If he does well on the interviews, isn’t it an even playing field at that point? Or do they still count lower or average stats as a detriment? (Honest question as I don’t know what takes place after interviews with the discussions amongst the committee).
I am not exactly sure either. I've never sat on an admissions committee. I have seen some schools scoring interviews, assigning a numerical value on your performance.
I assume after that the rest is just a numbers game, so no just bc you have an interview does not mean your (for example) 3.2GPA/18DAT is on a level playing field with the other applicant's 3.9GPA/27DAT.
If they did very poorly on the interview and you excelled, that COULD place you in equal standings depending on the commitee but I assume GPA and DAT are king even after interviews.

I have no idea what your chances are, but having similar stats to you, I might be of some help. I've got a slightly lower GPA at 3.43 and same science GPA as you, 20AA and 21 TS with a 17 in QR. I've so far been lucky enough to receive 7 interview invites (even to some serious reach schools for me. I'm shook lol). Just getting that DAT a little higher will seriously help, maybe not for this cycle but for the next one. Just like Mavs, no one's mentioned my metrics in any of the interviews, instead, they're more interested in my volunteer work and what I do for fun, with an odd few asking about my research.

I have no idea what your chances are, but having similar stats to you, I might be of some help. I've got a slightly lower GPA at 3.43 and same science GPA as you, 20AA and 21 TS with a 17 in QR. I've so far been lucky enough to receive 7 interview invites (even to some serious reach schools for me. I'm shook lol). Just getting that DAT a little higher will seriously help, maybe not for this cycle but for the next one. Just like Mavs, no one's mentioned my metrics in any of the interviews, instead, they're more interested in my volunteer work and what I do for fun, with an odd few asking about my research.
Where did you get interviews at if you don't mind me asking?

Detroit Mercy, Nova, Temple, Maryland, Pittsburgh, UF, Midwestern-AZ

Got accepted at midnight!! Good luck to you all and remember that stats aren't everything!!!! :)

Reactions: 2 users

6 interviews, declined 3. 3 acceptances, thanks for the extra motivation!

Reactions: 2 users