This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predental-4

Reaction score
Hello! I'm currently waiting for an interview invite from the UMN dental school but I'm a little worried. It's already November and I haven't heard a word, which makes me anxious. What are my chances of getting into the UMN?

In-state residence
Application Completed: 08-31-2022
Application Status: received/application complete

DAT Scores:
18AA, 19TS, 19OC, 22GC, 17BIO, 17RC, 17QR, 21PAT

GPA:
overall 3.76
science 3.59
BBCP 3.35 (I'm currently taking biology courses, which is why it's low)

Shadowing Hours: 102
Volunteer Hours: 400+
Dental Experiences/Volunteer Hours: ~32

Any advice or recommendations? Is there hope at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I'm currently waiting for an interview invite from the UMN dental school but I'm a little worried. It's already November and I haven't heard a word, which makes me anxious. What are my chances of getting into the UMN?

In-state residence
Application Completed: 08-31-2022
Application Status: received/application complete

DAT Scores:
18AA, 19TS, 19OC, 22GC, 17BIO, 17RC, 17QR, 21PAT

GPA:
overall 3.76
science 3.59
BBCP 3.35 (I'm currently taking biology courses, which is why it's low)

Shadowing Hours: 102
Volunteer Hours: 400+
Dental Experiences/Volunteer Hours: ~32

Any advice or recommendations? Is there hope at all?
Low DAT + late submission date are the biggest things that are hurting your application.

I'd prepare to reapply early next cycle with a DAT retake of 21AA+ and have a solid list of schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Low DAT + late submission date are the biggest things that are hurting your application.

I'd prepare to reapply early next cycle with a DAT retake of 21AA+ and have a solid list of schools.
Is it still possible to get an invite? Are my DAT scores really that low or is it average?
I also had my application completed on 07/27 but I had to remind them to check my application in the middle of August because it wasn’t being updated, and then they considered it complete in August 31, which bothers me because I did my part.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it still possible to get an invite? Are my DAT scores really that low or is it average?
I also had my application completed on 07/27 but I had to remind them to check my application in the middle of August because it wasn’t being updated, and then they considered it complete in August 31, which bothers me because I did my part.
There's a chance if you are in-state, but it depends on how they view those 17's in Bio and RC. It also depends on how much community service work was done for communities in need, especially any opportunities that are independent of healthcare or education.

you need to do more research to see what the UMN averages are
you are already well below the national matriculant average...

As a fellow in-state applicant, the average DAT accepted is a ~21AA, ~21PAT, and ~20Sci with a 3.6gpa and 3.5sgpa, so your GPA is within range. But, I think your 18AA DAT is hurting you (it's the 5th percentile for AAs enrolled at the U, which is about ~5-6 students for a class of 110), and you would have had a better shot had you applied in June. Do you have any research experience? How were your letters? Personal Statement strength? They review everything holistically so if the low part of the application is your DAT there still might be hope for a post-December interview. I'd prepare for the worst and be ready to apply in June next cycle, and if possible retake your DAT if you can to try and get a higher score. Did you apply to other schools as well, or was it just the UMN? Wishing you good luck!!

you need to do more research to see what the UMN averages are
you are already well below the national matriculant average...
Here is the work done for you:
1668118579060.png

Source: Preparing to Apply | School of Dentistry

As you can see, it's your 18AA vs their 20.7AA, your 19TS vs their 20.2TS, and your 17RC vs their 22.1RC. Your DAT is low compared to their averages so I would really suggest retaking your DAT and applying early next cycle, and applying to way more schools.

Reactions: 1 users
As a fellow in-state applicant, the average DAT accepted is a ~21AA, ~21PAT, and ~20Sci with a 3.6gpa and 3.5sgpa, so your GPA is within range. But, I think your 18AA DAT is hurting you (it's the 5th percentile for AAs enrolled at the U, which is about ~5-6 students for a class of 110), and you would have had a better shot had you applied in June. Do you have any research experience? How were your letters? Personal Statement strength? They review everything holistically so if the low part of the application is your DAT there still might be hope for a post-December interview. I'd prepare for the worst and be ready to apply in June next cycle, and if possible retake your DAT if you can to try and get a higher score. Did you apply to other schools as well, or was it just the UMN? Wishing you good luck!!
I hope so! Thanks for the information! I didn’t apply to other schools as I’m committed for the UMN only. Also, would it be possible to retake the DAT and update my scores for this cycle or is that too late?

I hope so! Thanks for the information! I didn’t apply to other schools as I’m committed for the UMN only. Also, would it be possible to retake the DAT and update my scores for this cycle or is that too late?
Most likely will be way too late to give you a fair shot. While I know you're only committed to the U, which I am too, you have to expect the worst and apply to other schools since you never truly know. For your stats, I would have said at least 10-12 schools in total. If you can retest and score higher, you stand a much better chance for acceptance next cycle, but I would also recommend applying to a few other schools that suit your application. If you'd like you can PM me and I can forward you the ADEA guide to help you do some research on what schools are best for you. I would suggest Marquette, Creighton, UMN, and then some other schools either out west or east. The stronger the DAT the better chance you have at getting into state schools and paying much less tuition compared to private, but with private schools, they accept lower scores which may get you in, but you're going to take a massive hit on tuition costs. It's a balance I should have paid attention to more when applying, but I didn't so here we are. Hopefully, things turn out for the better!

Reactions: 1 users