This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hateworkbutlovepizza

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!

I'm a black female URM hoping to get into a top 20 MD school. I'm currently in the undergraduate program (graduating in a year) but am wondering what are my chances BUT ALSO WHAT MCAT SCORE I SHOULD AIM FOR upon graduation in about a year. Here is what I have or anticipate having by the time of graduation.

Undergrad degree: Nursing
sGPA: 4.0 (currently, I have 3 more science courses to take)
cGPA: 3.6 (nursing school got to me! i'm hoping this will be a little bit higher after i take the other courses, though)
Undergrad School: I think Low-Tier (but recently found out someone from my school got into a Top 25 MD school)
Research: 1.5 Years Research. PI seemingly noted that the end of this should result in a publication. So let's say 1 publication out of this.
Posters: At least 1 poster (I am in the process of doing one now that will be presented in 3 weeks but am unsure what opportunities will come up in the next year or so. saying I have one done at least 1 is a good start)
Work Experience: 4 Years Pharmacy Technician
Volunteer: 100 hours clinically not including shadowing (I know. Pretty low but that's my guess. I would not have worked as a nurse when applying so no experience there). At least 200 hours volunteering non-clinically.
Shadowing: 100 hours among 3-4 different specialities
MCAT: Don't know yet. Planning to take later this year. Please tell me a score I should aim for to be considered competitive.
Other ECs: 2 Years Best Buddies Program, 2 Years in-school Christian fellowship program Vice President, 4 years school NAACP, 2 Years One-on-One Nursing Mentor, 1 semester Pharmacology Tutor


What should I improve to get into a top-tier MD school and what MCAT should I strive for? Do I have a chance?
 
Last edited:
Hi!

I'm a black female URM hoping to get into a top 20 MD school. I'm currently in the undergraduate program (graduating in a year) but am wondering what are my chances BUT ALSO WHAT MCAT SCORE I SHOULD AIM FOR upon graduation in about a year. Here is what I have or anticipate having by the time of graduation.

Undergrad degree: Nursing
sGPA: 4.0 (currently, I have 3 more science courses to take)
cGPA: 3.6 (nursing school got to me! i'm hoping this will be a little bit higher after i take the other courses, though)
Undergrad School: I think Low-Tier (but recently found out someone from my school got into a Top 25 MD school)
Research: 1.5 Years Research. PI seemingly noted that the end of this should result in a publication. So let's say 1 publication out of this.
Posters: At least 1 poster (I am in the process of doing one now that will be presented in 3 weeks but am unsure what opportunities will come up in the next year or so. saying I have one done at least 1 is a good start)
Work Experience: 4 Years Pharmacy Technician
Volunteer: 100 hours clinically not including shadowing (I know. Pretty low but that's my guess. I would not have worked as a nurse when applying so no experience there). At least 200 hours volunteering non-clinically.
Shadowing: 100 hours among 3-4 different specialities
MCAT: Don't know yet. Planning to take later this year. Please tell me a score I should aim for to be considered competitive.
Other ECs: 2 Years Best Buddies Program, 2 Years in-school Christian fellowship program Vice President, 4 years school NAACP, 2 Years One-on-One Nursing Mentor, 1 semester Pharmacology Tutor


What should I improve to get into a top-tier MD school and what MCAT should I strive for? Do I have a chance?
510+
 
With a 510, will I have a decent chance of getting into a top 20 or top 30 school? I heard it's a crapshoot but I want to know if my 3.6 of cgpa will hinder me as well as my low clinical experience.
Absolutely! Your GPA is fine. I think that four years Pharmacy tech counts for something. If you can get in 50 more hours of patient contact experience, outside of being a Pharm Tech, you'll be in very good shape.