What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ice Queen 2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I've never posted here before but I'm really hoping for some advice. I'm 27 years old and will be taking the MCAT this year. I'm a non-trad and went back to school late and sort of screwed up my grades due to personal issue. Do you guys still think I have a chance anywhere if I do well on the MCAT? Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

Semester 1:
Bio 1 - B
Chem 1- B+

Summer 1:
Chem 2 - B-

Fall:
Bio 2 - A
Orgo 1 - C+
Physics 1 - W

Spring:
Orgo 2 - W
Physics 1 - A

Members don't see this ad.

what is your current gpa?

You keep withdrawing from classes, whats the reason for that?

At this point in time, its very hard to say how youll fair as you have yet to take the mcat or show through your class work that you could either.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
what is your current gpa?

You keep withdrawing from classes, whats the reason for that?

At this point in time, its very hard to say how youll fair as you have yet to take the mcat or show through your class work that you could either.

That I could what? Take the MCAT? I was having a lot of personal issues and I couldn't concentrate so I just dropped out. I've taken some time off and I've gotten my life together again so I'm studying for the MCAT now. If I do well, will I still be completely screwed because of my two W's.

Thank you, it looks like my science GPA is 3.2
That's very low. There is no clear trend of sustained excellence.
Unless you are from a very lucky state with a compelling story and an MCAT to match, you have some damage control to do.

Reactions: 1 users
That I could what? Take the MCAT? I was having a lot of personal issues and I couldn't concentrate so I just dropped out. I've taken some time off and I've gotten my life together again so I'm studying for the MCAT now. If I do well, will I still be completely screwed because of my two W's.
2 W's wont end you, I had a few interviews with more. The good news is that since you've only taken 6 science classes, your GPA is still salvageable. Fix your study habits until you're consistently getting A's and bring up your science GPA with some extra science classes.

Reactions: 1 user
2 W's wont end you, I had a few interviews with more. The good news is that since you've only taken 6 science classes, your GPA is still salvageable. Fix your study habits until you're consistently getting A's and bring up your science GPA with some extra science classes.

Thank you, if I retook Orgo 1 and got A's in the two classes I have left it would bring my GPA up to a 3.6ish. I was getting A's in organic chemistry until my personal issues got in the way during the middle of the semester and I ended up with a C+. Thank you for your advice:)

That's very low. There is no clear trend of sustained excellence.
Unless you are from a very lucky state with a compelling story and an MCAT to match, you have some damage control to do.

Yes, I hope to redeem myself with my MCAT and the remainder of my classes. Thank you for taking the time to respond :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, if I retook Orgo 1 and got A's in the two classes I have left it would bring my GPA up to a 3.6ish. I was getting A's in organic chemistry until my personal issues got in the way during the middle of the semester and I ended up with a C+. Thank you for your advice:)

Your old grades don't disappear when you retake a class. And getting As is easier said than done.

Retakes + DO is your best bet. You will need to demonstrate a strong understanding of the sciences via the MCAT in order to be successful. Also take as many science classes as possible to raise GPA up to >3.4, ideally 3.6, if possible. Plan on applying broadly to DO schools and select MD schools (in state, mission based, a couple reaches) based on your MCAT score and GPA.