This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J AEMT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks for taking the time to check this out.

-27 Y/O

-Took about 120 credits at CC. cumulative was 3.7. sci was 3.3. I went for free most semesters while working in EMS.

-Transferred to a pretty reputable state school. Comparable to some of the private schools around, but cheap enough for me to make it work. Started off there getting 3.3s for two semesters. Third semester got a 2.9. All A's and an E in organic chem 2. 3.9 last semester. Only grades in C range or worse were C+ in orgo 1 and the E in orgo 2.

History is repeating itself this semester. I have A's locked in my other 4 classes. Two of them are already posted. I'm in the D - C minus range right now for organic. I feel like I know 100 times more than last semester. I get all the reaction and acid base questions right and bomb the mechanisms and synthesis. When I look at the solutions afterword I nod my head and go... yep. Makes sense, I see how that works. My professor thinks I have some sort of spatial learning disability. (I do suck at navigating). I got A's in A and P I and II, but am concerned about this possible character flaw transferring over into other courses in med school. Is the whole spatial thing a big deal? B's in physics by the way.

5000 + volunteer hours in fire dept. Led committees, was an officer and board member. Flood deployments. Special teams like FAST and HAZMAT etc. Letter from dept. president verifying the crazy amount of hours.

Full time experience in EMS as a basic, intermediate, and now AEMT. Been doing it since 08.

Pre health committee met and told me I'm a strong candidate for DO depending on getting through orgo and a decent MCAT score. Practice tests put me in the average range to slightly above.

I'm working full time to keep my health insurance, and am commuting 45 mins each way to school and work.

Any input is appreciated. My most important question right now is, if I don't get through orgo II again, and take it this summer, am I wasting my time? I feel like two retakes is going to say I'm an idiot when it comes to the sciences, even if I'm number 1/200 for my bio lecture and in the top few for bio lab this semester -_-. (My professor for that lecture is one of my LORs) I'd just hate for all this work to be over because of one class. If retaking it again isn't a foolish idea, I will.

P.S. - GPA at current university would be around a 3.55 overall and 3.2 science if I manage to get the C in orgo II.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can certainly get in with C's in organic. Just do well on the MCAT (>510)