This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hossaq

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some background: I am a rising junior at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute majoring in Chemical Engineering. My GPA right now is kind of low. I had a couple of bad semesters. Freashman year 1st semester was pretty bad (GPA was 1.77) as I was homesick all the time. The three semester following that, my GPA was constantly above 3.3 for 3 semesters. Then on my fifth semester, my gpa tanked again as I was really sick (medical document are availiable to support that). My current GPA is 3.0. I then transferred to RPI. I am a certified EMT-B in New York state (planning to take my nationals in the summer). I have 500+ hours working as an EMT (should be well over 1000 hours by the time I graduate), 1000+ hours of voluneteering experience since my junior year in high school, was the captain of my high school soccer team, president of my deabte club (in university and high school), was ranked 2nd best speaker in Asian schools debate cercuit. I am a volunteer fire fighter and a volunteer EMT in an ambulance agency here. Was also elected in the student council in my college for 2 terms.
I have been taking practice MCAT exams and studying for them too. Currently I am averaging around 510. I am planning to take the MCATs in the summer of 2018 so my score should increase by then. I am anticipating my GPA to be some where between 3.2 -3.4 by the time I graduate. What do you think my chances are of getting into medical school? I want to do emergency medicine. Will going to paramedic school before applying to medical school help?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Your projected gpa is very low for MD.
Your projected gpa and an MCAT of 505 and projected gpa will make you a candidate for DO schools.
EMT/paramedic experience is ok , but does not replace shadowing or volunteering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your projected gpa is very low for MD.
Your projected gpa and an MCAT of 505 and projected gpa will make you a candidate for DO schools.
EMT/paramedic experience is ok for medical school, but does not replace shadowing or volunteering.
I forgot to mention, I have volunteered at a emergency department (about 150 hours) and I volunteer as an EMT. I will be shadowing a doctor next summer and also have a decent amount of research experience. Also, Chemical Engineering and RPI (RPI is actually 4th on the list for lowest graduating GPA in the country, averaging between 2.9 and 3.1, depending on the year) are both famous for low graduating GPA. Does these change anything or no?

Members don't see this ad :)
Some background: I am a rising junior at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute majoring in Chemical Engineering. My GPA right now is kind of low. I had a couple of bad semesters. Freashman year 1st semester was pretty bad (GPA was 1.77) as I was homesick all the time. The three semester following that, my GPA was constantly above 3.3 for 3 semesters. Then on my fifth semester, my gpa tanked again as I was really sick (medical document are availiable to support that). My current GPA is 3.0. I then transferred to RPI. I am a certified EMT-B in New York state (planning to take my nationals in the summer). I have 500+ hours working as an EMT (should be well over 1000 hours by the time I graduate), 1000+ hours of voluneteering experience since my junior year in high school, was the captain of my high school soccer team, president of my deabte club (in university and high school), was ranked 2nd best speaker in Asian schools debate cercuit. I am a volunteer fire fighter and a volunteer EMT in an ambulance agency here. Was also elected in the student council in my college for 2 terms.
I have been taking practice MCAT exams and studying for them too. Currently I am averaging around 510. I am planning to take the MCATs in the summer of 2018 so my score should increase by then. I am anticipating my GPA to be some where between 3.2 -3.4 by the time I graduate. What do you think my chances are of getting into medical school? I want to do emergency medicine. Will going to paramedic school before applying to medical school help?

If you are not trolling, high school will not count toward ECs on your med school app (this second one I'm not really even sure what to make of...hence the troll comment); paramedic school/training will not be helpful toward a medical school acceptance.

I forgot to mention, I have volunteered at a emergency department (about 150 hours) and I volunteer as an EMT. I will be shadowing a doctor next summer and also have a decent amount of research experience. Also, Chemical Engineering and RPI (RPI is actually 4th on the list for lowest graduating GPA in the country, averaging between 2.9 and 3.1, depending on the year) are both famous for low graduating GPA. Does these change anything or no?
that is normal, even if it was substantially lower...this would only help you for MD if you were 3.6+ (maybe 3.5)
What's the Average College GPA? By Major?

Not really.