What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kayzoqueen

Reaction score
Hi!

I’ve been pretty overwhelmed thinking about if I can go to med school and wanted some advice. I will write my stats below:
I am a white female age 21. I have been on the deans honor list for a quarter

My current GPA is a 3.31 and I am in the middle of junior year at UCSB school and my major is biological sciences (b.s.).
I have over 200 hours volunteer work at hospital and also 100 hours of volunteering at the homeless shelter.

I have been involved in a well known biology lab doing research on campus for 2 years now but no pubs yet.
I am also involved in a chemistry outreach program that works with kids in the area working on the team (also a research lab but in chem) and have about 300 hours doing that.
I am also on a medical team that traveled abroad to provide medicine to the underserved and worked with doctors/patients there for 2 weeks.

I still have time to bring up my GPA and have a strong upward trend (freshman year was difficult for me to adjust to and I ended up getting Cs in gen chem, C+ for ochemB I got a b- and an A- in the last ochem, got a C+ in the first intro bio and an A- in the second intro bio course I also just received an A in the first genetics.) sorry I should have included this it is my first post!

I am not sure where I stand as an applicant and where to go from here. My dream is to become a doctor I love medicine so much, I’m just wary if I have a chance or what I should do going forward. I am open to post bacc programs and taking a gap year, and I plan to get a job as a medical assistant in the near future or get certified as an EMT.

Any suggestions or insight would be so great. Thank you everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you completed all of your prerequisites yet? I see you got Cs in gen chem, what about bio, physics, orgo, biochem? Have you taken any upper level bio classes (genetics, cell bio, A&P, etc)? Have you taken statistics? When are you planning to take the MCAT and apply?

I think your ECs are decent but you're lacking clinical experience. Do you have any shadowing? EMT certification is only good if you actually use it, and depending on when you apply you're not going to have a ton of time to use it if you're going to be applying this or even next cycle. MA may be a better choice if you can get into it more quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you completed all of your prerequisites yet? I see you got Cs in gen chem, what about bio, physics, orgo, biochem? Have you taken any upper level bio classes (genetics, cell bio, A&P, etc)? Have you taken statistics? When are you planning to take the MCAT and apply?

I think your ECs are decent but you're lacking clinical experience. Do you have any shadowing? EMT certification is only good if you actually use it, and depending on when you apply you're not going to have a ton of time to use it if you're going to be applying this or even next cycle. MA may be a better choice if you can get into it more quickly.
I just updated my post, sorry I have never posted and am not sure what all I should be including!

I am taking physics over summer and i am currently taking biochem this quarter. I was planning to take the MCAT after at least a gap year depending if I need to do a postbac. I am in no rush to apply, I would rather apply when my chances are best!

I am taking physics over summer and i am currently taking biochem this quarter. I was planning to take the MCAT after at least a gap year depending if I need to do a postbac. I am in no rush to apply, I would rather apply when my chances are best!
I am lacking clinical experience which is why I want to get a job as a medical assistant and also plan on shadowing during my gap year

I’ve been pretty overwhelmed thinking about if I can go to med school and wanted some advice. I will write my stats below:
I am a white female age 21. I have been on the deans honor list for a quarter

My current GPA is a 3.31 and I am in the middle of junior year at UCSB school and my major is biological sciences (b.s.).
I have over 200 hours volunteer work at hospital and also 100 hours of volunteering at the homeless shelter.

I have been involved in a well known biology lab doing research on campus for 2 years now but no pubs yet.
I am also involved in a chemistry outreach program that works with kids in the area working on the team (also a research lab but in chem) and have about 300 hours doing that.
I am also on a medical team that traveled abroad to provide medicine to the underserved and worked with doctors/patients there for 2 weeks.

I still have time to bring up my GPA and have a strong upward trend (freshman year was difficult for me to adjust to and I ended up getting Cs in gen chem, C+ for ochemB I got a b- and an A- in the last ochem, got a C+ in the first intro bio and an A- in the second intro bio course I also just received an A in the first genetics.) sorry I should have included this it is my first post!

I am not sure where I stand as an applicant and where to go from here. My dream is to become a doctor I love medicine so much, I’m just wary if I have a chance or what I should do going forward. I am open to post bacc programs and taking a gap year, and I plan to get a job as a medical assistant in the near future or get certified as an EMT.

Any suggestions or insight would be so great. Thank you everyone.

Did I miss any mention of physician shadowing?