What are my odds of getting accepted into medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rak19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, i am about to be a second semester junior bio major with a 3.0 cum gpa, yet to take the mcat, and currently have 2 research publications in medical journals. I have at the moment 8 Cs on my transcript, all except one are in pre-med reqs, and i just want to know in the scenario i do well on my mcat, do i have a shot at getting into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

No. Not directly, at least.

To have a shot at DO schools, you'll have to do some post-undergrad work to push your sGPA above a 3.0, and you'll need to destroy the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want DO, you gotta push both GPAs into a 3.2/3.3ish zone. If you want MD, then you gotta get it a bit higher. Kill the MCAT. Any clinical experience? Leadership roles? Nonclinical? Service to those less fortunate than yourself?

If you want DO, you gotta push both GPAs into a 3.2/3.3ish zone. If you want MD, then you gotta get it a bit higher. Kill the MCAT. Any clinical experience? Leadership roles? Nonclinical? Service to those less fortunate than yourself?
200+ clinical hours of shadowing, involved with multiple campus orgs, couple of non-medical volunteer work. The two publications are my main homerun hitters, will any of this help if i can push my gpa higher and kill the mcat?

Just calculate what's the best GPA you can get by the time you apply. If it's around 3.6 or higher then you have a decent shot with a great MCAT, but lower than that is going to make it much harder. The publications should help though ofc but they're just 1 component.

A2.7 sGPA is really low for med school . You have to get it to 3.2 at least to have a chance at DO.

FYI , shadowing is very different from clinical experience. It has been stated dozens of times on here that shadowing is passive. Clinical experience is where you actually interact with the patients and their families. It is not shadowing a doc. So unless you have 150 hours+ of clinical e perience, you’ll need to work on that.

What have you done to serve your community it You? How service to those less fortunate than yourself?

In my opinion. You won’t be ready to apply in June. You need several semesters of stellar grades in upper division sciences. Like 3.7+. With all those Cs in the prereqs, you haven’t proven you’d be able to handle med school.

It's unlikely you'll crush the MCAT without crushing the course content that is covered on the MCAT. Save your money and do not apply this coming cycle. It's an extremely expensive process ($39 per primary, $100 per secondary, ~$500 per interview, depending on location) and your chances are extremely slim at the moment.

Assuming you've been taking 1 bio per semester and have gotten through 2 gen chem, 2 organic chem, 2 physics, and 2 math at 4 credits each, you have about 52 BCPM credits at a 2.7 GPA.

Generally, the odds are not in your favor at an MD program with a science GPA that is below 3.6 or at a DO program with a sGPA below 3.4. For a 3.6, you need an additional 120 undergraduate science credits at 4.0, and for a 3.4 you need an additional 61 undergrad science credits at 4.0. A master's won't help, as masters credits are not weighted as heavily as undergrad credits.

My advice would be to extend your undergrad education. Rather than study for the MCAT directly through practice questions, prestudy for those prereq courses where you got C+ or below and then retake them. This will help raise your GPA while also preparing you for the MCAT. You would likely need another year or two of classes and work on your ECs before you're a good candidate for admission.

Alright, i am about to be a second semester junior bio major with a 3.0 cum gpa, yet to take the mcat, and currently have 2 research publications in medical journals. I have at the moment 8 Cs on my transcript, all except one are in pre-med reqs, and i just want to know in the scenario i do well on my mcat, do i have a shot at getting into medical school?
As of right now, odds are poor. But you have plenty of time to redeem yourself. You do need to start aceing things from now on.

BTW, in reality, we can only give you odds on getting IIs to med school. Getting accepted is 100% on you.

Yep. With a 517+ MCAT and 3.8+ GPA from here on out, and good ECs, our OP has a good chance at almost any school in the country. If the trend continues? Not so much.