What are some of the worst "why do you want to be a doctor/why med school" answers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDDO112

Reaction score
I've been spending the last few weeks really thinking about how to craft my narrative, really thinking about why I want to be a doctor, why I want to pursue the specialization I want to, etc., and it got me curious as to what are some of the "wrong" answers one could give in a PS or an interview.

I know there are cliches like "I want to combine my love for biology and helping other people," or "I grew up with doctor parents and I want to continue in their path", and I should show why I want to be a doctor through experience, not tell. But what are other type of things one should avoid? I'm not asking this because I'm trying to make up a reason why I want to be a doctor to please adcoms, I'm genuinely curious.

What were some of the worst "why do you want to be a doctor/why med school" answers you've seen/heard of? Whether it be cliche, arrogant, or just immature, I'd love some insight into the thoughts of adcoms/physicians, and others.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been spending the last few weeks really thinking about how to craft my narrative, really thinking about why I want to be a doctor, why I want to pursue the specialization I want to, etc., and it got me curious as to what are some of the "wrong" answers one could give in a PS or an interview.

I know there are cliches like "I want to combine my love for biology and helping other people," or "I grew up with doctor parents and I want to continue in their path", and I should show why I want to be a doctor through experience, not tell. But what are other type of things one should avoid? I'm not asking this because I'm trying to make up a reason why I want to be a doctor to please adcoms, I'm genuinely curious.

What were some of the worst "why do you want to be a doctor/why med school" answers you've seen/heard of? Whether it be cliche, arrogant, or just immature, I'd love some insight into the thoughts of adcoms/physicians, and others.
Actual answer: "To be respected"

"To make lots of money" (note: this is the baseline for wanting to be a doctor. You gotta bring something else to the table)

Is cliche bad?

Also is wanting to help underserved populations a corny/cliche reason even though that is what you truly want? Does it have to be creative?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is cliche bad?

Also is wanting to help underserved populations a corny/cliche reason even though that is what you truly want? Does it have to be creative?

I mentioned it and backed it up with a lot of service to the underserved

Reactions: 2 users
There might be a lot of people that pursue medicine for financial gain but there are some people that pursue medicine to achieve their professional goals.

My cousin is a pediatrician. She isn't rich by a long shot but that's something she always wanted to do and she did it.

There is not right or wrong answer as to why you want to become a doctor. Whatever your answer is well that's your answer. If you're asking what is the dumbest answer you can give to an admissions committee, I'd say any answer where you are totally honest.

Is cliche bad?

I think the "cliche" is saying you want to help people without anything to back up that claim. I've seen some applicants my senior year of college with barely any community service (<100 hours)/tons of research saying their mission is to help others. But if you have evidence to back up whatever you claim, then I personally don't see a negative to it (unless you word it very arrogantly).

Reactions: 4 users
Idk if this is a good answer or not but

I’d say that I love the patient interaction, love how physicians are leaders in the field, and how I want to be the beacon of hope for my patients. I’d also talk about how I want to expand healthcare...

I feel like my answer is very cliched but it’s the truth! Anyone have an idea on how I could improve it?

I think a horrible answer is “because I want to help people”

Reactions: 3 users
From a student interviewer standpoint, I completely agree with @ciestar and @MDDO112. Most everyone's true motivation for wanting to become a doctor is that they enjoy helping people and they love trying to figure out the "why" to everything. There's nothing special there. What makes an applicant unique is their own personal story as to how they came up with this career choice. Maybe you were in a terrible car accident and you were amazed at how the doctors put you back together. Maybe you worked in patient registration for years and you wanted to know more about how to treat the sick people you were checking in for their appointments. Maybe your best friend is dealing with a chronic illness and you wanted to be the absolute bestest friend ever by learning what you could do to help treat your friend and people like him/her. Maybe you were a high school art teacher and one of your students ended up in the ICU from sepsis and that impacted you in a profound way. I think you get the idea.

Just be honest and tell people your reasons for wanting to become a physician. Yes, you can say "helping people + science = totally awesome job for life," but you need to have specific examples for why that is the case for you. If you have those specific examples, you will be fine. You will rarely come across an interviewer who will drill you for not coming up with the most unique, unicorn-esque of reasons to answer "why medicine?"

I think the worst "answer" you could come up with in an interview is to stare blankly at your interviewer when they ask you that question and don't really give an answer at all. And if you think I'm making this up, just wait until you start interviewing candidates. Some of things that happen during interviews are simultaneously hilarious and disheartening.

Reactions: 5 users
I want to be the beacon of hope for my patients
^^ This a way worse answer than "because I want to help people." Saying you want to be the beacon of hope for your patients is basically saying you want to be [insert deity of choice] for that person.

Reactions: 12 users
^^ This a way worse answer than "because I want to help people." Saying you want to be the beacon of hope for your patients is basically saying you want to be [insert deity of choice] for that person.

Yeah you’re rght. Maybe I’ll take that place oit

To help people

Is the rest of my answer OK? Or garbage
I don't know. Is the rest of your answer truly how you feel as you stated in your post? If truly yes, then it's not garbage, but you need to be more specific and make it more personal. If no, then yes, it is garbage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know. Is the rest of your answer truly how you feel as you stated in your post? If truly yes, then it's not garbage, but you need to be more specific and make it more personal. If no, then yes, it is garbage.

Lol thanks. I’ve got awhile before I have to interview so I’ve got the time haha

Worst answer: I want to alleviate suffering and help others

Best answer: Chicks, Money, Power, and Chicks

Actual answer in most people's heads: not really sure why... its interesting I guess... and Google says they make bank, so... yeah?

Reactions: 10 users

I don’t see anything wrong with wanting to continue the path of your parents. That is one of the reasons why I became a doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

When I interviewed at the school I'm at, I started with something about helping people before going into more specific motivations. After I was done, one of the interviewers said something like "I'm glad you had more to say than just wanting to help people; everyone says that."

I'm pretty bluntly honest when I hear this question and I have just told how it is for me specifically.

N=1 and I'm still interviewing but my answer goes something like "When I dropped out of college, etc. etc., I thought about the person I wanted to be when I am 70 or 80 years old...blah blah personal affects". It is the truth and that train of thought was the very beginning of medicine for me.

Basically, if you're looking for an answer that works for you, it should be pretty personal. When I thought about my answer to this question, I just kind of examined myself introspectively. Everyone knows you want to help people but there are a lot of careers where you help others. Why do you want to pursue medicine to help people? From there, the world is your oyster and it is your story to tell.

To write M.D after every signature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because it would so satisfying to be a dermatologist and give someone a cream and then call them later to ask how they are doing and to hear that they are cured.

Applicant: Because medicine is better than dentistry.
Interviewer: How so?
Applicant: Have you ever smelled an infected tooth??

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
There are some people who answer the question in such a way that they display:
1) they are far more interested in wet lab research than ever helping patients. I call these people lab rats.
2) they are also 100% oblivious as to what clinician-researchers actually do.
3) they are 100% oblivious as to what doctors actually do.

EDIT: And despite the obliviousness of some SDNers in this thread, there are definitely wrong answers to these types of questions, and we have rejected people for giving them.

I think the worst answer would probably be “I want to be a doctor because my parents wanted me to be a doctor”

Because I can’t look at myself in the mirror and say “grad student”. How else am I gonna impress people I don’t really like at family weddings?

Reactions: 8 users
Because I can’t look at myself in the mirror and say “grad student”. How else am I gonna impress people I don’t really like at family weddings?

LOL So I can impress people and talk down to them xD

There are some people who answer the question in such a way that they display:
1) they are far more interested in wet lab research than ever helping patients. I call these people lab rats.
2) they are also 100% oblivious as to what clinician-researchers actually do.
3) they are 100% oblivious as to what doctors actually do.

EDIT: And despite the obliviousness of some SDNers in this thread, there are definitely wrong answers to these types of questions, and we have rejected people for giving them.
Can money ever be mentioned?

We were going around in a circle at breakfast doing an icebreaker, saying what specialties you were interested in... I kid you not, one person said they had wanted to become a neurosurgeon ever since they saw the movie Hannibal...

Because it would so satisfying to be a dermatologist and give someone a cream and then call them later to ask how they are doing and to hear that they are cured.

Applicant: Because medicine is better than dentistry.
Interviewer: How so?
Applicant: Have you ever smelled an infected tooth??

Have you ever smelled necrotic bowel?

At one of the interviews I went to they asked me Why I wanted to be a doctor more than I wanted to do research. I said I didn't necessarily want to do one more than the other as they can go hand in hand. They then asked me if I'd ever be okay just seeing patients instead of doing research...

I replied a simple "no".

Looking back the 2 day rejection turnaround isn't surprising.

I don't recommend it. It may be the baseline, but it's simply off putting.
I think it's an unspoken truth that anyone going into the field will one day appreciate the above average paycheck and the prestige. But if that was the only reason I was here, coughing out 60k to make money later would be a hard pill to swallow. It would also make every day miserable as you literally wouldn't give a **** about the things you are learning.

At one of the interviews I went to they asked me Why I wanted to be a doctor more than I wanted to do research. I said I didn't necessarily want to do one more than the other as they can go hand in hand. They then asked me if I'd ever be okay just seeing patients instead of doing research...

I replied a simple "no".

Looking back the 2 day rejection turnaround isn't surprising.

I mean I personally think that’s a fair answer. I think it’s stupid for anyone on the interviewer side of things to pidgeonhole you into what they think the “appropriate” medicine career for you is and write you off if you disagree. Medicine has the luxury of having so many different paths you should take, if being a physician scientist is yours, that’s valid and you shouldn’t be dinged for it. You wouldn’t have wanted to go to whatever school that is anyway.

I mean I personally think that’s a fair answer. I think it’s stupid for anyone on the interviewer side of things to pidgeonhole you into what they think the “appropriate” medicine career for you is and write you off if you disagree. Medicine has the luxury of having so many different paths you should take, if being a physician scientist is yours, that’s valid and you shouldn’t be dinged for it. You wouldn’t have wanted to go to whatever school that is anyway.
Yeah that is one thing I hated about the process. I had to hide my true motives to get in. Or lie about how much I wanted to do research. It's just how it goes

I was once at a professional development meeting for one of my jobs where we had to discuss our reasons for the career path we had chosen in mini groups. One of the girls in my group was actually a premed and her answer was "Well I have a really expensive lifestyle and really expensive taste. I need to have money to go skiing and travel and I'm SUCH a foodie. And plus with being a doctor you get to help people and that's cool, so it's basically the best career for me." I would imagine this is up there with the worst answers since there are other well-paying jobs where you also get to help people...

Reactions: 6 users
Can money ever be mentioned?
I had a follow up question of "what is the most selfish reason you want to go into medicine". I was honest and said it's a stable career that is well compensated. I was accepted, but I wouldn't include that in my normal "why medicine" answer.

I had a follow up question of "what is the most selfish reason you want to go into medicine". I was honest and said it's a stable career that is well compensated. I was accepted, but I wouldn't include that in my normal "why medicine" answer.

That's a good question actually. I'm going to remember that one if I ever end up interviewing applicants.

I could see it being reasonable for an interviewer at a school that has a strong focus on primary care over research. Unless you're interviewing for an MD/PhD program, medical school only guarantees you opportunities to do the clinical side of things. While opportunities for research are available and important, they are in no way guaranteed to every student in an MD-only program. If I was the interviewer, I might wonder why this applicant wasn't applying MD/PhD, and if they would be happy/successful at a school/program where research wasn't as heavily emphasized.

(if this was at an MD/PhD interview though, then it's definitely ridiculous)

I could see it being reasonable for an interviewer at a school that has a strong focus on primary care over research. Unless you're interviewing for an MD/PhD program, medical school only guarantees you opportunities to do the clinical side of things. While opportunities for research are available and important, they are in no way guaranteed to every student in an MD-only program. If I was the interviewer, I might wonder why this applicant wasn't applying MD/PhD, and if they would be happy/successful at a school/program where research wasn't as heavily emphasized.

(if this was at an MD/PhD interview though, then it's definitely ridiculous)

Plenty of MDs do research (good research) without another degree. Plenty of MDs do good research and see patients in whatever way their specialty requires. It is a very viable career path for people applying to MD only tracks. Yes of course nothing is guaranteed, but if the question is asking about career goals and the applicant says they would be unhappy without an aspect of research integrated into their career, it shouldn’t be held against them (provided they have at least some experience to back it up...). If the school is primary care focused and that’s where the majority of graduates end up, then fine, the students career goals and the school’s mission are at odds and in that scenario it’s fine. But if you’re interviewing at a non-PC oriented school, you want a career that involves research, and you have the track record to back that up, in my opinion it would be inappropriate for the candidate to be dinged. Obviously it happens and it sucks that that’s the reality at certain places, but it’s still short sighted. Again, just my opinion, and I’m not involved in admissions at all so it probably carries no real weight.

Plenty of MDs do research (good research) without another degree. Plenty of MDs do good research and see patients in whatever way their specialty requires. It is a very viable career path for people applying to MD only tracks. Yes of course nothing is guaranteed, but if the question is asking about career goals and the applicant says they would be unhappy without an aspect of research integrated into their career, it shouldn’t be held against them (provided they have at least some experience to back it up...). If the school is primary care focused and that’s where the majority of graduates end up, then fine, the students career goals and the school’s mission are at odds and in that scenario it’s fine. But if you’re interviewing at a non-PC oriented school, you want a career that involves research, and you have the track record to back that up, in my opinion it would be inappropriate for the candidate to be dinged. Obviously it happens and it sucks that that’s the reality at certain places, but it’s still short sighted. Again, just my opinion, and I’m not involved in admissions at all so it probably carries no real weight.

Even at research oriented schools, some places appear to have a very rigid idea of what a physician scientist should be, or what kind of science they should be involved with which I definitely understand from a purely practical perspective but goes against what I believe should be the spirit of inquiry and curiosity-driven science. At two places I interviewed at in particular I left asking myself “why do u ppl bother having an MSTP anyways?” and they were fairly well respected research powerhouse schools.

Even at research oriented schools, some places appear to have a very rigid idea of what a physician scientist should be, or what kind of science they should be involved with which I definitely understand from a purely practical perspective but goes against what I believe should be the spirit of inquiry and curiosity-driven science. At two places I interviewed at in particular I left asking myself “why do u ppl bother having an MSTP anyways?” and they were fairly well respected research powerhouse schools.

Can you please elaborate?

I was once at a professional development meeting for one of my jobs where we had to discuss our reasons for the career path we had chosen in mini groups. One of the girls in my group was actually a premed and her answer was "Well I have a really expensive lifestyle and really expensive taste. I need to have money to go skiing and travel and I'm SUCH a foodie. And plus with being a doctor you get to help people and that's cool, so it's basically the best career for me." I would imagine this is up there with the worst answers since there are other well-paying jobs where you also get to help people...

Such as .....?

Can you please elaborate?

At these places there was a lot of pushback on physicians doing basic research, non-traditional research (computational, theoretical, social sciences and humanities work) or they made it explicit that they saw a non-clinical career as an unacceptable outcome for someone with physician scientist training. They also appeared to think that having or pursuing an academic career was somehow at odds with being involved in non-academic ventures related to medicine like biotech, tech, entrepreneurship, or politics. Several interviewers even suggested to me that trying to have a research career was pointless (or, conversely and even more ridiculously: physicians from *this* institution don’t need a PhD to have a research career; eyeroll). I’ve been active in academic research for 5 years, I understand the challenges involved in continuing the career thank you very much I just want to know if this program is going to support me if I want to eventually pursue a more non traditional career path or want to pursue other ventures in addition to research and clinical training.

In other words, a physician scientist should direct clinical trials or do mouse models and be ready to dump their research at any time. We can argue ad naseum whether or not this is a reasonable position to hold as someone about to invest millions of taxpayer dollars into training physician scientists, but the distinction is palpable at different institutions.

Last edited:
At these places there was a lot of pushback on physicians doing basic research, non-traditional research (computational, theoretical, social sciences and humanities work) or they made it explicit that they saw a non-clinical career as an unacceptable outcome for someone with physician scientist training. They also appeared to think that having or pursuing an academic career was somehow at odds with being involved in non-academic ventures related to medicine like biotech, tech, entrepreneurship, or politics. Several interviewers even suggested to me that trying to have a research career was pointless (or, conversely and even more ridiculously: physicians from *this* institution don’t need a PhD to have a research career; eyeroll). I’ve been active in academic research for 5 years, I understand the challenges involved in continuing the career thank you very much I just want to know if this program is going to support me if I want to eventually pursue a more non traditional career path or want to pursue other ventures in addition to research and clinical training.

In other words, a physician scientist should direct clinical trials or do mouse models and be ready to dump their research at any time. We can argue ad naseum whether or not this is a reasonable position to hold as someone about to invest millions of taxpayer dollars into training physician scientists, but the distinction is palpable at different institutions.

Was there anything about these institutions that disclosed their narrow-minded attitudes toward physician scientists?

Was there anything about these institutions that disclosed their narrow-minded attitudes toward physician scientists?

Well, to be clear, I’m not accusing them of anything nor do I think that wanting to train a specific kind of physician scientist at your institution is wrong. It’s just a way I know that place is probably not for me.

Things that faculty say, all paraphrased:

“There’s no point to physicians doing basic science” or any variation on it.

“We typically don’t like our MSTPs to do PhDs through Physics/Chemistry/Engineering.”

“A physician scientist is never going to be the best physician, or the best researcher, but they should focus on translating good research into effective interventions.”

And my personal favorite, after hearing about my research experience and goals:

“Don’t come here.”

Things students say:

“I don’t know of anyone who has done internships with the surrounding biotech/tech/Pharma industry.”

“A lot of MD classmates are involved in policy / global health / community health initiatives, but during the PhD most just focus on finishing and you have very little time in med school.”

Structural things:

Lack of dedicated research initiatives / centers/ depts outside the life sciences. “Structural biology” means X-ray Crysto, Cryo EM and nothing else.

MSTP /med school admin not directly involved with thesis committee. Relatively fewer physician scientists in program leadership / med school basic science dept faculty / advising MSTPs.

Students complaining about med school being inflexible with entering/leaving their PhD/Organizing their clinical training and clerkships around research needs.

Lack of funding/support for independent initiatives involving travel, outside research, outside collaboration.

Has an associated undergrad, but med school appears to be totally divorced from anything happening at the mother institution.

Again, I’m not saying any of these things are bad or wrong. Just a different philosophy.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, to be clear, I’m not accusing them of anything nor do I think that wanting to train a specific kind of physician scientist at your institution is wrong. It’s just a way I know that place is probably not for me.

“We typically don’t like our MSTPs to do PhDs through Physics/Chemistry/Engineering.”

“A physician scientist is never going to be the best physician, or the best researcher, but they should focus on translating good research into effective interventions.”

“Don’t come here.”

Things students say:

“I don’t know of anyone who has done internships with the surrounding biotech/tech/Pharma industry.”

“A lot of MD classmates are involved in policy / global health / community health initiatives, but during the PhD most just focus on finishing and you have very little time in med school.”

Structural things:

Lack of dedicated research initiatives / centers/ depts outside the life sciences. “Structural biology” means X-ray Crysto, Cryo EM and nothing else.

MSTP /med school admin not directly involved with thesis committee. Relatively fewer physician scientists in program leadership / med school basic science dept faculty.

Students complaining about med school being inflexible with entering/leaving their PhD/Organizing their clinical training and clerkships around research needs.

Lack of funding/support for independent initiatives involving travel, outside research, outside collaboration.

Has an associated undergrad, but med school appears to be totally divorced from anything happening at the mother institution.

Again, I’m not saying any of these things are bad or wrong. Just a different philosophy.

Not in MD or PhD program but I’m curious, what departments/subjects are the PhDs of MSTPs usually/typically/encouraged to be in?

Not in MD or PhD program but I’m curious, what departments/subjects are the PhDs of MSTPs usually/typically/encouraged to be in?

Most people probably do things like Immunology/Molecular and Cellular Biology/Neuroscience/Cancer Biology. Varies by what’s strong at that school usually. The joke at NYU for example was “So, are you neuro or cancer?”. At Yale loads were in Immuno because Yale has one of the best Immuno programs in the country. Etc.

Most people probably do things like Immunology/Molecular and Cellular Biology/Neuroscience/Cancer Biology. Varies by what’s strong at that school usually. The joke at NYU for example was “So, are you neuro or cancer?”. At Yale loads were in Immuno because Yale has one of the best Immuno programs in the country. Etc.

Interesting. Thanks!

“Don’t come here.”

Things students say:

Structural things:

MSTP /med school admin not directly involved with thesis committee. Relatively fewer physician scientists in program leadership / med school basic science dept faculty / advising MSTPs.

Why do so many researchers hate research? I have an RN orientee who is a Neuroscience PhD. (a leading researcher at a local research facility and her husband is the head of the research department) I told her "Man I need to come help you with some research. Would be good for my med school application plus let me know if I would like to do research"

She is SO negative about it. "No, trust me you don't want to do research. There is a reason I'm in nursing". But she never really extrapolates on it.

At my grad school, the MSTP students were in
Biochem
Cell Bio & Anatomy
Immunology
Microbiology
Physiology
Molecular Genetics
Neuroscience

Oddly, 50% of these kids were saints, and 50% were absolute pricks